Menu

What are your favorite Kindergarten picks?

lynn

I plan to do K with my dd this fall. She misses the school cut off but she is so ready to learn. We are doing 100 easy reading lessons. I have some of those big basic skills books that we do when she is in the mood, and we read, read, read, explore, color, paint, and just have fun.

I am just finishing up Kindergarten with my son. We have been going through OPGTR and he can read just about anything now. The most important thing I did this year, besides the reading lessons, was read to him. He always followed along and he picked up phonics rules on his own. Now when we sit down to do a lesson out of OPGTR, he already knows the words. We go through the lesson just so he can learn the rule. The other really important thing he got out of us reading stories together was reading comprehension. We went from short picture books the first half of the year to now reading chapter books. I don't think I could have just picked up "Charlotte's Web" and started reading it to him if he hadn't been developing the skill.

The other thing I learned was with math. I started by following the advice in WTM, not to use a formal curriculum and just teach him very basic skills. That lasted about a month. It seemed to me he had it all down and was ready for more. So I decided we needed a structured study and ordered a kindergarten math workbook. We blazed through that in just a few months. So then I decided he must be ready for first grade math and got a math book. That worked out okay for a little while, but we've hit a wall. I finally realized that even though he catches on very quick, there is only so much his little mind can grasp right now. So I've decided to spend the rest of the year doing free worksheets I found on the internet. They're easy for him, so he enjoys it. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have just bought one of those basic skills workbooks from Costco and let him work through it all year, and not worried about whether it was too easy for him.

Other than reading, stories, and math, we read bible stories and practice handwriting. He finished the ZB book in just a few months so I have him doing very short copywork now. I learned that I can't let him do that on his own. He will get lazy and sloppy. I have to stand over him to make sure he does it neatly and carefully. At the moment this is causing the biggest pain. He hates it! He drags it out forever. Wish I could give you some advice in that department, but I haven't figured out the magic way to do that one yet!

I really liked the Rod and Staff ABC workbook series (the website has them under preschool, but they are aimed at age 5. They call anything pre 1st grade preschool.) Those along with your other plans would be fun. They cover early math concepts and all kinds of other K skills. My dd5 just finished them and really enjoyed them. In fact she cried when she finished the last one!

My 4 year old missed the cut off too. In PS he'd go to one more year of pre then a year of k.....aaaahhhh we're doing Spectrum Critters grade K right now.

Anyway, I too used the OPGTR and we are just working through it as we can. Some day we do the words, some days we do the sentences, some days we just do review, some days we make up silly words. It's a lot of fun.

For math I used the Carson-Dellosa workbooks with manipulatives-everything from Halloween candy to styrofoam packing peanuts. He's now making stacks of 5 wood blocks and counting by 5's-learning the clock (slowly) and LOVES dot to dot.

I found www.first-school.ws to have a lot of fun free stuff on it. We did the whole alphabet on there.

And like above...we read lots of books too. Beings my ds has an older sister in grade 5, we are reading the Little House series before bed at night....and don't worry if he's fiddling around or acting like he doesn't hear...he hears EVERY word you say, even if he's playing with trucks or whatever.

For next year I did get a Singapore KB to work with. Singapore intregues me in the fact that it teaches you to THINK about math, not just the concepts. I hope he 'gets' it.

We play trains alot and we are outside as much as possible, letting him just be a KID!

Good luck, it's such a fun and exciting age to teach!

Our plan for K is to wander through Five in a Row and Galloping the Globe (which is what we did for my oldest when she was that age, though we didn't complete it). We'll also include RS A and probably ETC and/or OPGTR, though I need to research those more because DD7 taught herself to read long before I was ready to teach her, so I never had to deal with K-level LA!

My guy just misses the cut off date too. I bought A Little Garden Flower K, and I'm going to use the Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter books with it. Oh, and the Waldorf Alphabet Book. Lots of stories, activities, and season stuff.

I got him the R&S ABC series because he likes workbooks. As far as things like writing and such, his motor skill just aren't there yet. Well practice writing his name, maybe doing ABC's and 123 as he likes. He really likes the MEP reception level worksheets. So I'll keep printing those as he's interested.

Hoping it's going to be fun, easy going and child-led.

We used OPG and RS A. After my dd learned to write all her letters I started making some simple copywork pages. She did Horizons K math or ETC once in awhile when she was in the mood for a workbook. We learned some French, did lots of science experiments (using Sonlight K - dvd, experiment book, and science kits), and a "tour" of countries around the world. We had lots of fun. :001_smile:

My favorites:

RS A

Atelier Art

nature studies

piano lessons

lots of books - I used pieces of Sonlight P3/4-K (mostly read alouds and science) and some of Ambleside Online's books, plus others I felt shouldn't be missed, like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Tikki-Tikki-Tembo.

If you are Christian, Galloping the Globe is good.

My son is going to be starting this fall and we will be doing a lot of the things mentioned in other posts. He loves science so I have a few science magazines and we've gone through together and picked out some things to do together. We are looking at ants, worms, butterflys, frogs, a lot with life cycles. Nature journals and walks. Also probably a lot of cooking together and then our family garden we will be working in a lot.

Ds6 and I are on the tail end of our Kindergarten year. In addition to all the fun stuff of painting, playdough, crafts, puzzles etc, etc. we use:

Get ready for the code books

starfall.com

Saxon 1 math

Winter Promise Animals and Their Worlds

We used OPG and RS A. After my dd learned to write all her letters I started making some simple copywork pages. She did Horizons K math or ETC once in awhile when she was in the mood for a workbook. We learned some French, did lots of science experiments (using Sonlight K - dvd, experiment book, and science kits), and a "tour" of countries around the world. We had lots of fun. :001_smile:

Tonia,

Your Geography lesson plans are awesome! :thumbup:

Tonia,

Your Geography lesson plans are awesome! :thumbup:

Thank you! :D We had so much fun studying the countries. My dd's favorite part was the 'party' we would have after completing each continent. After we finished Central and South America we had a fiesta - made a pinata and found some South American recipes. Very fun!

I will have 2 this fall in K. I am considering McRuffy Phonics/Handwriting and Science, and CLE Math 100. I tried, really hard, even bought it twice, to like OPGTR. Just...no.