Menu

Any of you who has studied natural medicine have sug for treating shingles?

I have been diagnosed with facial shingles by a doctor today. They started Saturday and I started an antiviral the same day. I changed to a stronger/different antiviral today.

I have been using a steroid cream on them (first doctor thought it was an allergy) and have been told it was fine to continue as it helps to control the itching.

I have also been using sea buckthorn extract on them. I usually use grape seed oil and jojoba oil on my face daily and since it hasn't seemed to irritate it, I have continued.

I have read about capsaicin but am worried about using it on my face.

Do you have any suggestions? Feel free to pm me if you would prefer.

bump

You should consider seeing a natural doctor. I hope you get some relief. I use Immunocal for practically everything, but my doc tests it.

I plan on calling around tomorrow to see if I can get in to someone. I would like to know what are common treatments so I can research them before I go in.

I've heard of using Capsaicin cream (the stuff in chili peppers) for shingles.

Also I've heard of boosting the immune system with high doses of vitamin C. You will want to take the vitamin C until you start to have diarrhea and then back off a bit.

Oh, great burning on both ends....thanks :smilielol5: LOL

HA!Capsaicin cream doesn't typically burn as far as I know.

Ha, ha, funny......it burns with a capital B. I have used it before on the nerve pain in my legs. My face is soooo sensitive right now, I can barely touch it, I can't imaging using capsaicin if I don't have to.

I did read earlier today about it releasing part of the chemicals that cause the after pain of shingles. I will have to read about it more to see if the pain may be worth it. I may have to get a patch for my eye first so I don't accidentally get it in there.

When dd and I had them(both of us as pediatric cases) we just left it be until healed using calamine to calm the itching. However, there is a risk of long term nerve pain from adult cases of shingles and I do think the antivirals are the best was to try and prevent that from happening. They are not the natural way to go, but are good at preventing the long term effects of shingles.

Yes- if it is stress related, which it usually is, lots of magnesium, and find a way to deal with the stress. Vitamins B and C are good too.

Boost the immune system with echinacea or olive leaf extract (good quality). It's ultimately your immune system that needs to deal with it.

Oatmeal, soaked, can be used topically- it is soothing and healing.

That is wierd tap. The kind I used didn't burn.

The HA! was for your joke about burning on both ends. I wasn't communicating well last night. I had my 3 year old sleeping on me.

I am glad that Brandi, Peela and Asta came along! They know more than me. (I would mention Immunocal to your naturopath though, it has helped me so much. :) )

I posted this on your other thread but incase you didn't see it try St john's wort oil. It really helps. As I said before my dh gets shingles and we only treat it with this. It will massively help the pain/itching and helps it clear up faster. Just apply a couple of times a day to the lesions.

I posted this on your other thread but incase you didn't see it try St john's wort oil. It really helps. As I said before my dh gets shingles and we only treat it with this. It will massively help the pain/itching and helps it clear up faster. Just apply a couple of times a day to the lesions.

Thanks! My lesions are healing great but I will remember this incase they flare back up. I think the steroid injection in my back is what caused this flare and I have another one scheduled in 4 weeks. I won't be surprised if I get it again then.

Yes- if it is stress related, which it usually is, lots of magnesium, and find a way to deal with the stress. Vitamins B and C are good too.

Boost the immune system with echinacea or olive leaf extract (good quality). It's ultimately your immune system that needs to deal with it.

I am already taking extra Cal, Mag, Zinc and a B-complex w C on top of a general vitamin. I don't have much appetite right now due to a nerve pain med I am on so I know I am depleted in vitamins/minerals. I was taking the Cal, Mag, Zinc and Bs because I have had a lot of muscle cramping lately. I just found out it has to do with my back but hopefully it was helping my vitamin stores up during this stressful time too.

Thanks for the advice. Do you have a recommendation on the mgs to take of each?

That is wierd tap. The kind I used didn't burn.

The HA! was for your joke about burning on both ends. I wasn't communicating well last night. I had my 3 year old sleeping on me.

I am glad that Brandi, Peela and Asta came along! They know more than me. (I would mention Immunocal to your naturopath though, it has helped me so much. :) )

I was reading last night about casaisin. It sounds like it comes in different strengths. Mine is one of the strongest listed so that my be why it burns. I have used it on my legs before and I know it hurts less as time goes on but for the first few days it burned like scalded skin for hours.

It does have a unique purpose in releasing 'substance P from nerve endings' and that is well documented. Last night I decided to try it....ooooo doogggie, it burned. I slept on an eye patch on (so I wouldn't rub it in the night if the lesions by my eye itched) and an ice pack to counter the pain. LOL Good thing dh was out of town last night, I sure looked pretty. :lol: When I was putting it on, I thought...."I should just put this on a small spot and see how it does". I didn't listen....I wish I would have! I also know that water reactivates it and now I dread taking a shower! When I used it on my leg it reactivated the pain for several hours.

You said it was near your eyes, right?

Please don't stop your anti-virals, whatever you do. Shingles in your eyes can leave you blind.

a

Nope, no intention of stopping those! I am looking for things to supplement with not instead of. Thanks for the advice.

I also had a chance to talk to my eye doctor. We use the same daycare. My medical doctor dyed my eye and used a lens to check my eye and said it looked clear right then. My eye doctor took a look at the lesions and said I could call him if I felt anything changed and he would call in an antiviral for my eye. It is hard on the cornea so he doesn't recommend it unless absolutely necessary. It was nice to have the confirmation.

My eye did feel like it had glass in it but the more I think about it I wonder if it was from the lesions pressing on the eye lid. Much like a sty makes the eyes hurt.

:iagree:But, slowly acclimate your body to magnesium or you will be spending a lot of time in the bathroom. :leaving:Don't start with high doses.