Menu

Good listens for long car rides

We have all ages in the car, this is what I have/am thinking of getting:

Gone With the Wind

Peter & the Starcatchers, first two books

Life of Pi

Is there anything inappropriate that I should be wary of? The little kids will probably watch movies with headphones. On long trips I can't listen to Winnie the Pooh for hours.

If you can think of books that are engaging (to keep me awake!) and appropriate for the audience in the car, please tell.

Naxos Audiobooks has a TON of stuff on Amazon. I love their audiobooks. I bought their sets for really cheap on Woot, but I would probably pay full price for them now. They have stories like Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, Thumbelina, Treasure Island, Arabian Nights, The Secret Garden, Robin Hood, etc. Obviously some of them aren't full versions, but they're great for youngers and engaging enough for olders (I think) that they'd all enjoy it.

Our family loved listening to the Little House series. They are nice and long, too :)

We also just finished listening to Noel Stretfield's Ballet Shoes, Theater Shoes and Dancing Shoes from the library. They are probably for older girls, but my little ones enjoyed them, even though they didn't fully understand every bit of the stories. (They like it when the "bratty girl" gets her come-upance in each story, learns her lesson and sometimes turns around...kind of like Nellie Olsen :lol:) The Magic Treehouse stories have been good in the car, too, but some people find Mary Pope Osbourne's voice, ahem, distracting. I got used to it after a while.

Arggh. I wish Audible.com had the Little House series, or my library, but no. I just remembered I have "Little Women" - another possibility. It was so much easier when our boys were young and the girls weren't born yet - the boys are much closer in age and books "worked" better.

On longer trips, some we've listened to and all enjoyed are The Secret Garden and the Inkspell trilogy (these also appear to be the longest audio books known to man - 16 CDs each!??), the Mr. Tucket series by Gary Paulsen, Pinocchio, and others. I tend to browse the juvenile audio book section at the library and select titles that sound as though I would enjoy them too, particularly classic children's literature that I didn't read as a child.

Erica in OR

On longer trips, some we've listened to and all enjoyed are The Secret Garden and the Inkspell trilogy (these also appear to be the longest audio books known to man - 16 CDs each!??), the Mr. Tucket series by Gary Paulsen, Pinocchio, and others. I tend to browse the juvenile audio book section at the library and select titles that sound as though I would enjoy them too, particularly classic children's literature that I didn't read as a child.

Erica in OR

The Secret Garden audio version I listened to was *excellent.*

Erica in OR

We have already enjoyed The Secret Garden and Inkheart/Inkspell -- I'm not sure about the third one in the trilogy, because I find them slightly depressing (although I love Brendan Fraser's voice). Our library has a pretty bad selection of kid lit audio, so I will probably buy what I need and load it on my Ipod. I will check out the Mr. Tucket series (Paulsen's Hatchet was a favorite with our sons, and well done on audio). We have roughly 70 hours of driving coming up so length is no problem.

Can you tell me more about this? I've seen it on audible for a long time but never bought it.

The language is pretty rich. My boys think they are funny. If you want a free version, there is one called More William on Librivox. Listen to it and see if it's up your alley. My kids love them.

http://librivox.org/more-william-by-richmal-crompton/

Life of Pi has some pretty intense, gruesome scenes. I would not recommend it for anyone but older teens. I loved the book, but I am not sure I would have my 13yo son read it.

Our whole family loved Homer Price, Redwall, Misty of Chincoteague, the Hobbit, the Whipping Boy, Artemis Fowl.

Thanks Ellen. I'll put off getting Life of Pi. My parents recommended it but I had a feeling there might be something that the kids should not hear.

The Focus on the Family radio theater version of Narnia (seven books worth ~ 19 CDs) is probably our all-time favorite audio.

Thanks for reminding me, Rosy and Heidi - it may be time for another go-round with Narnia - it has been a few years since we listened and I remember them being quite good.

We started listening to "The Hobbit" (by Rob Inglis ?) last June during our one and only vacation. We decided to keep listening through the whole "Lord of the Rings" series but only as a family and most often while traveling to and fro in the van. We just finished the final book last week. We did end up skipping all the appendix stuff at the end of the last book. I wouldn't recommend it if your crowd is younger because it is very wordy but our 9 and 11 yo's throughly enjoyed it. The 6yo tolerated it and the 5yo protested whenever we put it on. It would have been nice to have the books also because they have maps in the back so you can follow the journeys better.

For the Lord of the Rings we celebrated finishing each book by watching the accompanying movie. I have to admit I saw them a few years ago and really could not follow what was going on plus I had zero interest. It was so much better watching them the second time around. It was also fun to see the boys get upset when the movie took liberties that are not in the original story.

Peter and the Starcatchers is great for all ages.

It's been a while since I read Gone with the Wind, but there are some disturbing themes. She considers abortion, but that would probably go over the children's heads. She's a horrible mother, pretty much ignoring her first two children (in the book, she has a child from each husband).

well, I might be too late to help..you might have already gone and returned from your trip. But, I was searching good audio books and found your post.

My kids (ages 7, 10, 12) and I enjoyed the "Gooney Bird Greene" by Lois Lowry series..she's a second grader, but has a wonderful little attitude about her. And the vocabulary in these books are fabulous!

Another good one was "Trumpet of the Swan" by EB White. It was so much better to hear the story on CD because you actually get to hear the trumpet, instead of reading the trumpet sounds. :)

Lastly, on one of our vacations we listened to "From the mixed-up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" by EL Konigsburg...very entertaining for all of us, including hubby!

Hope that helps...:auto:

We have the Chronicles of Narnia Radio Theater from Focus on the Family. It is awesome. It includes all titles in the Narnia Series. Great Listening for all ages! We purchased it in the Bargain Bin at Borders for $9. A good deal makes it even sweeter to listen to.

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Tim Curry is great.

I think kids have to be a bit older to appreciate the dark humor.

My family loves Tim Curry. I think that they would be entertained listening to him read the dictionary. Maybe he could do a history text as my 17 year old finds that particularly dry. I am sure he could make it interesting. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by KidsHappen