Menu

Looking for dish washer recommendations

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did do a search beforehand and couldn't find a thread on dishwashers and so I started a new one. Basically, I'm just being overwhelmed with the dishes and am looking into getting a dishwasher. My homeschool has gotten longer into the day and more labor intensive and I also have a lot of new extra curricular activities that are just making it such a chore to keep up with the kitchen. DH says I need a dishwasher, but I have gone without one for years and don't know what models brands etc would be good. My mom told me to get a silent one and one that steams the dishes after to sanitize them. For myself I want one that will be reliable and cleans the dishes well. If it won't clean the dishes as good/or better than I do I know I won't use it. If you love your dishwasher can you share what brand model you have? Thank you to all who reply. :)

I love my dishwasher.:)

It's a mid-line Whirlpool.

The utensil rack hangs off the door so it doesn't take up space on the bottom rack. There's no spray arm sticking up from the bottom, either, which means I can use the whole bottom rack for dishes. Woohoo.:)

The top rack doesn't have a spray arm sticking up through it, either, so I have full use of that, too.

It's pretty quiet; an upper-line model would be quieter, but I am satisfied.

My dd has a Bosch; although it's quiet, I cannot figure out how to load dishes in that sucker. I can get many more in my Whirlpool.

I love my dishwasher.:)

It's a mid-line Whirlpool.

The utensil rack hangs off the door so it doesn't take up space on the bottom rack. There's no spray arm sticking up from the bottom, either, which means I can use the whole bottom rack for dishes. Woohoo.:)

The top rack doesn't have a spray arm sticking up through it, either, so I have full use of that, too.

It's pretty quiet; an upper-line model would be quieter, but I am satisfied.

My dd has a Bosch; although it's quiet, I cannot figure out how to load dishes in that sucker. I can get many more in my Whirlpool.

I have a Kenmore Elite Ultra Wash QuietGuard Premium, and I'm happy with it. Don't get a Smeg...it sanitizes but doesn't clean.

Thank you ladies for the replies. May I ask how long have you had your washers and do you know what the warranties are on them? Thanks. :)

I love my Bosch with a deep, abiding love. When you do 3 loads of dishes a day, you know which side your bread is buttered. :001_smile: We buy from sears and we always buy the 5-10 year warranty. Glasses break, SOME children throw in twistie ties...and, sometimes, Mommy doesn't realize that a spoon is lodged under the level for the water and has the repair man come out to show her how to remove the spoon. :blushing: It's very nice when trips like that are free.

Edited by justamouse

Maytag all the way!!! We had a new one when we moved into our house 10 years ago. Now with 5 kids we do normally 2 loads per day. There is no need to pre-wash or rinse your dishes. Not kidding. I scrape big chuncks off. I think it has an internal disposal, or is hooked up to the dispoal? I'm not very handy. It is also a water saver. It steams the dishes dry too. Never had any repairs.

I love my Bosch with a deep, abiding love. When you do 3 loads of dishes a day, you know which side your bread is buttered. :001_smile: We buy from sears and we always buy the 5-10 year warranty. Glasses break, SOME children throw in twistie ties...and, sometimes, Mommy doesn't realize that a spoon is lodged under the level for the water and has the repair man come out to show her how to remove the spoon. :blushing: It's very nice when trips like that are free.

How much was it to purchase the warranty? Thanks. :)

Maytag all the way!!! We had a new one when we moved into our house 10 years ago. Now with 5 kids we do normally 2 loads per day. There is no need to pre-wash or rinse your dishes. Not kidding. I scrape big chuncks off. I think it has an internal disposal, or is hooked up to the dispoal? I'm not very handy. It is also a water saver. It steams the dishes dry too. Never had any repairs.

Do you know what model you have? Thanks. :)

I love my Bosch with a deep, abiding love. When you do 3 loads of dishes a day, you know which side your bread is buttered. :001_smile: We buy from sears and we always buy the 5-10 year warranty. .

I have a Bosch and won't be buying another one. I like the fact that it's quiet, but I've had 12 service calls for repairs (extended warranty). Also, my model requires a lot of rinse agent because it doesn't have the typical heating unit that we're accustomed to here in the US.

FWIW, the repair guys all recommended the quiet Kenmore Elite except one who is big on Whirlpools. I agree that I could get far more dishes in my Whirlpool.

I had a Maytag and it worked great. I had it for 11.5 years but quite a few of the tines had rusted or been broken off and it wasn't cleaning as well anymore but considering it ran a minimum of 2 loads a day and often 3, it served me well.

I have a huge aversion to washing anything by hand so any dishwasher has to accomodate my half sheet cookie pans and my 3 gallon stock pot. So I took my dishes along and tried them out in all the different brands. While most brands could accomodate one of my cookie sheet, since I use it to make cookies there is always at least 2 dirty at a time. The only one that could hold 2 was - another Maytag. While I liked the Bosch (and they are highly rated by Consumer Reports), they are really set up for just plates, bowl, and cups. I needed something for pots and pans as well. SO here's what I got:

I've been running it about 2 weeks (Its MDB8859AW). Here's my thoughts

It's quiet, really quiet compared to my last dishwasher but obviously things have changed alot during the last 11.5 years. It holds more dishes than my last one because there is no center pole on the bottom (although I think it's almost standard these days not to have that). I'm still getting use to loading things. There is only 1 good spot for our cereal bowls and it only holds about 5 in that area, this is problem since we go through 7 in a single meal. I'm sure if you had different sized/shaped bowls it might not be a problem. But do take a good assortment of your dishes along to try out. I assummed in error that if my biggest dishes fit then everything else would as well, but I failed to consider how many were set of with straight tines (for plates) verses bent tines (for bowls). I love that there is so much space on the bottom. I can get all 4 of my large cookie sheet in at one time and still get lots of plates or mixing bowls on the bottom.

Cleaning seems fine. These days, I think most thing do an adequate job on the basics. Obviously there are certain things like dried oatmeal and rice, that need some hand attention before they go in. I'm still adjusting to the drying. Even without heat, my old dishwasher would dry the dishes and the entire interior of the dishwasher. THe new one isn't vented the same and I need the heated dry to get the dishes totally dry, however even with that the interior of the dishwasher still has lots of moisture. THe dishes are completely dry there is just lots of condensation on the walls and bottom. It does dissapate pretty quickly after I open the door. It was just something to get used to.

So check out Consumer Reports (from the library, I think it was from last August) and see about brand history. Then llok at the stores and see what fits your dishes best. Then pick out options you are likely to use. Myself I have never used Sanitize, delay start, half loads options, quick wash/china, or steam clean options. I had most of those options on my last one and never used them then either. Basically I wanted a dishwasher that washed right now, washed reasonably well, was relatively quiet because our living room is open with the kitchen and had the built in disposer because the last thing I wanted was another chore to remember to do (empty the filter out periodically).

I have a Bosch and I am only reasonably happy with it. I love the fact that it is quiet and has an excellent quick wash function - which we use all the time - without rinsing dishes. However, I don't like the racks. My dishes don't fit well in there. My bowls get chipped as do my new Crate & Barrel heavy drinking glasses. I don't like the silverware rack.

Thank you so much ladies for the replies. Please keep them coming. A few more questions... Is there a time of year that is better than another for buying a major appliance as far as getting deals (Black Friday excluded)?? What type of soap/detergent do you use in your machine?? What price range should I be looking for to get a good one that will last for years to come that works well?? Thanks again. I always wash dishes by hand so buying a dish washer is totally new territory for me. Thanks in advance.:)

I had a Maytag and it worked great. I had it for 11.5 years but quite a few of the tines had rusted or been broken off and it wasn't cleaning as well anymore but considering it ran a minimum of 2 loads a day and often 3, it served me well.

I have a huge aversion to washing anything by hand so any dishwasher has to accomodate my half sheet cookie pans and my 3 gallon stock pot. So I took my dishes along and tried them out in all the different brands. While most brands could accomodate one of my cookie sheet, since I use it to make cookies there is always at least 2 dirty at a time. The only one that could hold 2 was - another Maytag. While I liked the Bosch (and they are highly rated by Consumer Reports), they are really set up for just plates, bowl, and cups. I needed something for pots and pans as well. SO here's what I got:

I've been running it about 2 weeks (Its MDB8859AW). Here's my thoughts

It's quiet, really quiet compared to my last dishwasher but obviously things have changed alot during the last 11.5 years. It holds more dishes than my last one because there is no center pole on the bottom (although I think it's almost standard these days not to have that). I'm still getting use to loading things. There is only 1 good spot for our cereal bowls and it only holds about 5 in that area, this is problem since we go through 7 in a single meal. I'm sure if you had different sized/shaped bowls it might not be a problem. But do take a good assortment of your dishes along to try out. I assummed in error that if my biggest dishes fit then everything else would as well, but I failed to consider how many were set of with straight tines (for plates) verses bent tines (for bowls). I love that there is so much space on the bottom. I can get all 4 of my large cookie sheet in at one time and still get lots of plates or mixing bowls on the bottom.

Cleaning seems fine. These days, I think most thing do an adequate job on the basics. Obviously there are certain things like dried oatmeal and rice, that need some hand attention before they go in. I'm still adjusting to the drying. Even without heat, my old dishwasher would dry the dishes and the entire interior of the dishwasher. THe new one isn't vented the same and I need the heated dry to get the dishes totally dry, however even with that the interior of the dishwasher still has lots of moisture. THe dishes are completely dry there is just lots of condensation on the walls and bottom. It does dissapate pretty quickly after I open the door. It was just something to get used to.

So check out Consumer Reports (from the library, I think it was from last August) and see about brand history. Then llok at the stores and see what fits your dishes best. Then pick out options you are likely to use. Myself I have never used Sanitize, delay start, half loads options, quick wash/china, or steam clean options. I had most of those options on my last one and never used them then either. Basically I wanted a dishwasher that washed right now, washed reasonably well, was relatively quiet because our living room is open with the kitchen and had the built in disposer because the last thing I wanted was another chore to remember to do (empty the filter out periodically).

Thank you so much for taking the time to write in such detail. I really appreciate it. :) Thank you also for the suggestion about the consumer reports. I'll check my library. :) May I ask how much your Maytag was?? For me, I'm used to washing things by hand and I wouldn't have a problem with washing pots and pans or even the flat ware by hand and let the dishwasher do the rest. My main concern is that they come out clean. My mom has a dish washer and it doesn't get the silver ware as clean as I would like it. It looks like it has stuff stuck on it still. yuck. I usually wash the silver ware before I use it (when she's not looking of course) when I visit her.

We love our Asko dishwasher. We have a large family and cook a LOT,from scratch. We also can a lot in the summer. We had another (sorry, can't remember, but it's a standard brand) and tried a Kitchenaid, but they couldn't handle the workload.

We run our dishwasher 3-5 times a day. It holds a ton - one half sheet pan on the side, my 16 quart stock pot, my Bosch mixer bowl, two levels of things on the top (fold-down thingys that go on top of short glasses), and many plates because the tines are closer together than most other dishwasher. Pots & broiler pans must be prescrubbed if they have a lot of stuck-on food, but dishes only need scraping, not rinsing. This appliance uses a lot less detergent and water than washing by hand. We have a little measuring cup in the detergent bucket with a line marked at 1 cm, and that's how much we use. The dishes come out really clean.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it takes a long time to run a load.

Light cycle takes 1 hour.

Regular cycle takes 2 hours.

Pots & pans cycle takes 3 hours.

We usually run it on Regular, and turn it off before the heater/fan comes on to dry the dishes.

The other thing you need to keep up with are the fine screen filters. They sometimes get clogged up with gunk, and must be scrubbed. It especially has trouble with the gluten in whole wheat dough, which gums it up in little white strands (fascinating). My 10-12 yos usually clean the filters. It takes about 5 minutes and only needs to be done every 1-2 weeks.

Dh has ordered extras of the little wheels that attach to the racks so they can roll in and out because they fail occasionally. He had to replace the drainage pump hose last Thanksgiving.

If you cook a lot, I'd recommend an Asko.

GardenMom

Thank you so much ladies for the replies. Please keep them coming. A few more questions... Is there a time of year that is better than another for buying a major appliance as far as getting deals (Black Friday excluded)?? What type of soap/detergent do you use in your machine?? What price range should I be looking for to get a good one that will last for years to come that works well?? Thanks again. I always wash dishes by hand so buying a dish washer is totally new territory for me. Thanks in advance.:)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write in such detail. I really appreciate it. :) Thank you also for the suggestion about the consumer reports. I'll check my library. :) May I ask how much your Maytag was?? For me, I'm used to washing things by hand and I wouldn't have a problem with washing pots and pans or even the flat ware by hand and let the dishwasher do the rest. My main concern is that they come out clean. My mom has a dish washer and it doesn't get the silver ware as clean as I would like it. It looks like it has stuff stuck on it still. yuck. I usually wash the silver ware before I use it (when she's not looking of course) when I visit her.

As for buying, I've only ever looked during the spring because that's when we have our tax refund money. I'm sure there are sales all year but I don't know if there is really a better time or not. Sears just had a 25% off dishwasher a few weeks ago (the time period when I bought mine), usually they focus on Kenmore brand but do run sale on others. I think normal sales for them are 15-20% off. I know Best Buy runs sales pretty frequently too but I never have any luck with finding sales people in the appliance section. But still watch the sales for all stores, because most places will price match. I didn't buy mine from Sears but got the same price at a independent dealer with price matching.

The manufacturer suggested price on mine was $850, I paid $550. I always stay away from the low end stuff. I aim for mid range. I would expect to spend between $600-$900 for a mid range dishwasher. Also, unless your husband is planning on installing it himself, dishwasher installs add another $130-180 to the cost (this may vary upon where you live but that was average around here)

I use the basic Cascade Powder although I do use a little less than the fill line in the dishwasher.

Concerning silverware, many of the mid to upper range comes with extra sprayers aimed just at the silverware compartment. I haven't had any problems getting them clean except when I try to pack too much in the basket.

We love our Asko dishwasher. We have a large family and cook a LOT,from scratch. We also can a lot in the summer. We had another (sorry, can't remember, but it's a standard brand) and tried a Kitchenaid, but they couldn't handle the workload.

We run our dishwasher 3-5 times a day. It holds a ton - one half sheet pan on the side, my 16 quart stock pot, my Bosch mixer bowl, two levels of things on the top (fold-down thingys that go on top of short glasses), and many plates because the tines are closer together than most other dishwasher. Pots & broiler pans must be prescrubbed if they have a lot of stuck-on food, but dishes only need scraping, not rinsing. This appliance uses a lot less detergent and water than washing by hand. We have a little measuring cup in the detergent bucket with a line marked at 1 cm, and that's how much we use. The dishes come out really clean.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it takes a long time to run a load.

Light cycle takes 1 hour.

Regular cycle takes 2 hours.

Pots & pans cycle takes 3 hours.

We usually run it on Regular, and turn it off before the heater/fan comes on to dry the dishes.

The other thing you need to keep up with are the fine screen filters. They sometimes get clogged up with gunk, and must be scrubbed. It especially has trouble with the gluten in whole wheat dough, which gums it up in little white strands (fascinating). My 10-12 yos usually clean the filters. It takes about 5 minutes and only needs to be done every 1-2 weeks.

Dh has ordered extras of the little wheels that attach to the racks so they can roll in and out because they fail occasionally. He had to replace the drainage pump hose last Thanksgiving.

If you cook a lot, I'd recommend an Asko.

GardenMom

I have never heard of the brand Asko, where did you find/buy it?? I too cook a lot and mostly from scratch, bake etc. That's the main reason I'm having trouble keeping up with the dishes. hehe So yours is a heavy duty one then?? How does it handle regular dishes?? Are the cycles rough? I think it was Ethel who commented earlier that her dishwasher chips the dishes. May I ask how much you paid for yours?? Thank you for your time. :)

As for buying, I've only ever looked during the spring because that's when we have our tax refund money. I'm sure there are sales all year but I don't know if there is really a better time or not. Sears just had a 25% off dishwasher a few weeks ago (the time period when I bought mine), usually they focus on Kenmore brand but do run sale on others. I think normal sales for them are 15-20% off. I know Best Buy runs sales pretty frequently too but I never have any luck with finding sales people in the appliance section. But still watch the sales for all stores, because most places will price match. I didn't buy mine from Sears but got the same price at a independent dealer with price matching.

The manufacturer suggested price on mine was $850, I paid $550. I always stay away from the low end stuff. I aim for mid range. I would expect to spend between $600-$900 for a mid range dishwasher. Also, unless your husband is planning on installing it himself, dishwasher installs add another $130-180 to the cost (this may vary upon where you live but that was average around here)

I use the basic Cascade Powder although I do use a little less than the fill line in the dishwasher.

Concerning silverware, many of the mid to upper range comes with extra sprayers aimed just at the silverware compartment. I haven't had any problems getting them clean except when I try to pack too much in the basket.

Thank you so much!! That's a lot of good information. :) One question if you know, if I were to have someone come and install the new dishwasher do they take the old one away?? I actually do have one but it doesn't work. It has never worked since I've lived in this house (13 years) but since I've always hand washed the dishes it wasn't a big issue and it was useful for when I'd wash the dishes; I use the dishwasher like a big drying rack. :) But I would need to dispose of it to fit a new one.

The cool thing about having it installed... is if they do it incorrectly.. and you don't sign away rights... they are responsible. I also say.. get the warranty.. check.. usually there's one that's offered with the store... on with the appliance... (Figure out the difference before you purchase) It's been worth it to me. The trip out is $60 and then I had my whole electronic panel repaired. That was as much as the whole repair package...

:)

I don't have a recommend, but I have a "stay away": I do NOT like our GE Profile. I have to wash on the pot scrubber with extra heat to get even the lightest-messed dishes clean. It takes about an hour and a half to complete this cycle, and I don't use the heated dry which would make it even longer.

My parents have a mid-level Bosch and really love it, although it took quite a bit of trial and error on their part to figure out which cycle combo worked for them.

Thank you so much!! That's a lot of good information. :) One question if you know, if I were to have someone come and install the new dishwasher do they take the old one away?? I actually do have one but it doesn't work. It has never worked since I've lived in this house (13 years) but since I've always hand washed the dishes it wasn't a big issue and it was useful for when I'd wash the dishes; I use the dishwasher like a big drying rack. :) But I would need to dispose of it to fit a new one.

The install fee includes, delivery, installation and take away.

I'm happy with our KitchenAid, but I really bought it to match everything else in the kitchen. We returned a Bosch after two weeks.

Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore used to all be made by Whirlpool. They are basically the same machines. KitchenAid usually costs a little more and might have a few more bells and whistles. If you find a Whirlpool you love, but Sears is having a Kenmore sale, it should be possible to find it for a cheaper price as a Kenmore. (Obviously, this works in reverse for Whirlpools at other stores!)

Be sure to ask about installation costs. It might cost more than the typical fee unless your house is wired for the electricity and has the water/sewer connection already.

I highly recommend the extended warrenty. We have used ours on several appliances!

Edited by Jan in SC
more info

I don't have a recommend, but I have a "stay away": I do NOT like our GE Profile. I have to wash on the pot scrubber with extra heat to get even the lightest-messed dishes clean. It takes about an hour and a half to complete this cycle, and I don't use the heated dry which would make it even longer.

My parents have a mid-level Bosch and really love it, although it took quite a bit of trial and error on their part to figure out which cycle combo worked for them.

Thank you. Good to know.:)

The install fee includes, delivery, installation and take away.

perfect!! Thanks! :)

I'm happy with our KitchenAid, but I really bought it to match everything else in the kitchen. We returned a Bosch after two weeks.

Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore used to all be made by Whirlpool. They are basically the same machines. KitchenAid usually costs a little more and might have a few more bells and whistles. If you find a Whirlpool you love, but Sears is having a Kenmore sale, it should be possible to find it for a cheaper price as a Kenmore. (Obviously, this works in reverse for Whirlpools at other stores!)

Be sure to ask about installation costs. It might cost more than the typical fee unless your house is wired for the electricity and has the water/sewer connection already.

I highly recommend the extended warrenty. We have used ours on several appliances!

Thank you. I didn't know they were all the same. I'll look at the prices of them. :)

I like my GE Profile, but I would look for any review I could find before purchasing. Lowes, Home Depot, Sears and Best Buy all have customer reviews I believe.

Yes that is why I started this thread. I started with trying to read reviews online and I was overwhelmed by the number of brands and models there are out there! I figure that getting some models to start with here will help me a lot in the research and review phase.

Thank you ladies for all of your input. It is greatly appreciated. :grouphug:

I went with one of Consumer Report's top rated models http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02213892000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Dishwashers&sName=Built-In and am so very happy with it. Some people don't like the internal disposal because it adds noise, but I couldn't care less about the noise. It means I don't have to rinse dishes. I also wanted one that didn't have any buttons showing. My toddler has messed up the dishwasher buttons in our last 2 houses. While they still worked, it was an eyesore. I wanted something without those tempting buttons for him. Sears has their Kenmores on sale pretty regularly for 20-25% off. I wouldn't buy one unless you got at least 20% off. Also Consumer Report said that while the stainless interior looks nice, it doesn't really add value. Most dishwashers wear out in other ways long before the interior does. It does slow the drying time down slightly. My dishwasher doesn't have the pot scrubbers in the back, but it seems to get pots clean without it. It was really important to me to not have anything in the middle of the rack. I need to be able to utilize all the space. Good luck in your search!

Okay I went to Home Depot today after doing some research online on the models that you gals were gracious enough to recommend here. The Home Depot unfortunately only had mostly GE's, a smattering of Maytags and two LG's which I've never even heard of and one called Americana I think it was. The LG's were the most expensive and they were nice but since I'd never heard of them I didn't spend much time looking at their features. I did notice that they looked pretty solidly built. I researched the Maytag model number that was recommended here and I liked the features on it, but they didn't have that model at the Home Depot, but they had another one that was kind of similar. It had the quiet feature, the sanitizing cycle, the automatic sensor of the dirt, jet blasts and what not. It had tough scrub, double life motor and a bunch of other things that i can't remember now. It is on sale right now for almost $100.00 off of the original price ($499.00) but I remember y'all said that I should look for a mid-range one. Does that price range qualify as mid-range or low end?? The sale is only good until this wednesday so if I'm going to get it I have to make a move on it quick, but I just don't want to stumble into it either and be disappointed. It had all of the features that I wanted on it and then some, but I just don't know if they price point is too low for it to be good quality?? And worse I can't find any reviews on it online anywhere. It apparently is a new model just out and so there aren't any reviews on it yet. :( What do you ladies think?? What would you do in my shoes? Thanks for the advice. :grouphug:

I have never heard of the brand Asko, where did you find/buy it?? I too cook a lot and mostly from scratch, bake etc. That's the main reason I'm having trouble keeping up with the dishes. hehe So yours is a heavy duty one then?? How does it handle regular dishes?? Are the cycles rough? I think it was Ethel who commented earlier that her dishwasher chips the dishes. May I ask how much you paid for yours?? Thank you for your time. :)

I'm sorry - this thread got buried and I forgot about it. We have a lot of Corelle dishes and they are getting worn on the edges, but it does not seem to chip them (we're pretty good at it, though). It cleans really, really well! We scrape them into the compost pail and stick them in. Stuck on food on pots, broiler pans, and casseroles usually needs to be prescrubbed (we use Barkeeper's Friend for our stainless steel, works great). The cycles seem fine. We run ours on regular, and there is a china and a pots & pans, too.

I can't remember how much it cost, but it was probably about $800-$1200. We are on our 2nd one in 11 years - the first lasted about 8 years. We bought it from our local full-service appliance store.

HTH,

GardenMom

I'm sorry - this thread got buried and I forgot about it. We have a lot of Corelle dishes and they are getting worn on the edges, but it does not seem to chip them (we're pretty good at it, though). It cleans really, really well! We scrape them into the compost pail and stick them in. Stuck on food on pots, broiler pans, and casseroles usually needs to be prescrubbed (we use Barkeeper's Friend for our stainless steel, works great). The cycles seem fine. We run ours on regular, and there is a china and a pots & pans, too.

I can't remember how much it cost, but it was probably about $800-$1200. We are on our 2nd one in 11 years - the first lasted about 8 years. We bought it from our local full-service appliance store.

HTH,

GardenMom

Thank you. :)

I can tell you what not to get, the LG!!! We just moved, 3 weeks ago, into a house in which the kitchen was remodeled in Nov. 2008. The dishwasher worked the first week we were here then it died. The motor went out. It will cost about $350 for the guy to come out and fix it. Lowes said this is a "known issue" with LG.

They looked up the order information from the previous owners to see if there was anything they could do for us. There wasn't. They paid $800 for this dishwasher! Seriously!? One would think that an $800 dishwasher would last more than 16 months!

I'm thankful for this thread as we will be putting our $350 repair cost towards the cost of a new one thankyouverymuch!

Boo to LG!

I can tell you what not to get, the LG!!! We just moved, 3 weeks ago, into a house in which the kitchen was remodeled in Nov. 2008. The dishwasher worked the first week we were here then it died. The motor went out. It will cost about $350 for the guy to come out and fix it. Lowes said this is a "known issue" with LG.

They looked up the order information from the previous owners to see if there was anything they could do for us. There wasn't. They paid $800 for this dishwasher! Seriously!? One would think that an $800 dishwasher would last more than 16 months!

I'm thankful for this thread as we will be putting our $350 repair cost towards the cost of a new one thankyouverymuch!

Boo to LG!

Wow!!! :eek: I'm so sorry to hear that. I've decided on a Maytag. I'm going to wait until April though since apparently the gov is doing a cash for clunkers type rebate thing for appliances. My state is giving a 20% rebate on the purchase price for a new energy efficient appliance! Your state will probably have a similar type of program. I found mine accidentally by Googling Maytag rebates. :D