Menu

Another Disney Q - Would you stay at...

Pop Century at regular rate for 6 nights and get a $300 gift card upon arrival,

OR

Port Orleans Riverside for 6 nights with a 35% room discount?

I think the price difference is about $150 (as in we would lose $150 total by doing POR), but, the plus is that I don't have to have the ENTIRE balance paid in full by next Friday.

Of course the minus is that I have to spend more OOP when I go in May.

Is the moderate room worth the $150 loss overall? WWYD??

The Port Orleans Riverside is a very nice place with an awesome swimming pool. If I'm correct, you can also use the pool at POFQ too, but you might want to check. They both have water slides, something missing at Pop. POR also has a boat that goes back and forth to Downtown Disney. You should have a fridge in your room at POR, but not at POP. Both places are nice, but it depends on how much time you feel you would spend at the resort itself. The rooms at POP are small. I would also feel more comfortable with not having to pay the entire balance in full. Something could come up, and you would have a 5-day cancellation period with the ressie at POR, right?

Also, if I remember correctly, Disney is a bit ticky about how to use the gift cards. I think it's mostly for merchandise. I don't think you can use it for their restaurants. Have you checked on the policy for the gift cards?

The Port Orleans Riverside is a very nice place with an awesome swimming pool. If I'm correct, you can also use the pool at POFQ too, but you might want to check. They both have water slides, something missing at Pop. POR also has a boat that goes back and forth to Downtown Disney. You should have a fridge in your room at POR, but not at POP. Both places are nice, but it depends on how much time you feel you would spend at the resort itself. The rooms at POP are small. I would also feel more comfortable with not having to pay the entire balance in full. Something could come up, and you would have a 5-day cancellation period with the ressie at POR, right?

Also, if I remember correctly, Disney is a bit ticky about how to use the gift cards. I think it's mostly for merchandise. I don't think you can use it for their restaurants. Have you checked on the policy for the gift cards?

:iagree:I would definitely upgrade to the moderate for $150. We saved a lot of money by having the fridge in our room; we ate most breakfasts in the room because we could have milk, etc. I think the extra space is a big plus and the better swimming pools (with slides). I think we will stay at POR next time - I have heard it is a beautiful resort.

For $150 more, I would choose to stay at Port Orleans over Pop Century.

The rooms are a bit bigger, there are double sinks rather than one, and, while there is a nice food court at Pop Century, there is a great reasonably priced sit-down restaurant (Boatwright's) at Port Orleans Riverside in addition to a food court.

Also, there is ferryboat service to Downtown Disney from Port Orleans.

Port Orleans is a lovely resort.

Have fun!

I'm definitely feeling good about the decision. I hope it doesn't make me never want to do a value resort again, although with all the offers Disney has been having, a moderate will probably stay affordable.

I guess, because I am FROM Louisiana, POR never really had much appeal. I am glad I switched though because my kids are really at the age where a lot of rowdy little kids would just get annoying.

I'm ready for Animal Kingdom Lodge though!! I am DYING to stay there!