Menu

Quick, dumb question: How do I get rid of grease in my skillet?

I accidentally left my cast iron skillet in my oven when I turned it on to cook a cake. I need my skillet for making sausage and now I have liquid Crisco in there. I usually put solid Crisco in the trash when it's time to switch out. :) How do I best get rid of hot liquid?

It feels like such a dumb question but I just don't usually need to do this.

Thank you!

By the way I have a garbage disposal. Does that matter?

I accidentally left my cast iron skillet in my oven when I turned it on to cook a cake. I need my skillet for making sausage and now I have liquid Crisco in there. I usually put solid Crisco in the trash when it's time to switch out. :) How do I best get rid of hot liquid?

It feels like such a dumb question but I just don't usually need to do this.

Thank you!

By the way I have a garbage disposal. Does that matter?

I just dump mine in the outside trash. Or into an empty can (like a coffee can) and then put it in the trashcan.

Don't tell my mother, but in a pinch (very rarely) I've dumped it down the drain. But that's only if it's a little and it's not too often.

Another option is to take a sheet of aluminum foil and mold it to the inside of a cup or bowl. Pour the grease out into the lined cup/bowl, carefully fold over the top making it into a little package and toss in the trash. ;)

If you can't wait until it's cooled or if it was an oil to begin with, sprinkle flour into the skillet to make a paste.

Throw the paste in the garbage can.

Not the best solution and it won't save the planet, but it will save your sanity and your garbage disposal. ;)

I'd go back in time and not use Crisco. You know it's hydrogenated vegetable oil, right? The nastiest artery clogging fat known to man.

Anyway, I'd pour it into a container, or onto a paper towel, if you use them, let it cool then toss it. You can also wipe more out of the hot pan if you're careful (or like my DH have teflon-coated hands, lol), and any remnant isn't likely to hurt sausage.

In the old days you'd collect the stuff in cans, then turn it into the War Department so they could turn it into munitions that would help us defeat the Axis.

Today people pour perfectly good war-materiel into the trash. What a world :lol:

Bill (biofuel?)

In the old days you'd collect the stuff in cans, then turn it into the War Department so they could turn it into munitions that would help us defeat the Axis.

Today people pour perfectly good war-materiel into the trash. What a world :lol:

Bill (biofuel?)

I love you Bill! :lol:

[did I just say that? I mean it in the most platonic sense of the word, honest.] :D

I know you have long since solved this problem but in the future...

I pour it into a metal measuring cup or a dry Pyrex measuring glass. If I have a used paper towel sitting near by, I put that in first as a liner because it makes it easier to get out. Once it is set up, I toss it in the trash.

Don't tell my mother, but in a pinch (very rarely) I've dumped it down the drain. But that's only if it's a little and it's not too often.

:svengo:

Drip it into a bowl and let it harden as you would in the pan

This is what I do.

Once it has hardened, I dip the bottom of the bowl into warm water and the disc of grease slides right out when I dump it in the compost.

I use an old can set near the stove. i toss the whole thing when it is full. Don't put it down the drain. If you have septic it's hard on the tank if it makes it that far. Mostly though it will coat the insides of your drains until you have a tiny opening that you water will not freely flow through.

One of my relatives keeps a jar of grease in the fridge. When she's making beans she scoops out a spoonful into the pot. The first time I saw this I wanted to GAG! Wasn't hungry for beans that night for some reason...