Menu

If you think that your child might have a sensory processing disorder

Detergent/soap and also clothing. We use many more products than we think we do: shampoo, body soap, laundry soap, dish soap, household cleaner, lotions, powders. Any one of them can affect our system in ways that ultimately effect behavior. (Personally, I've been looking at checking out Vermont Organic's line of soap) Clothing, even when "all natural", has texture. It usually has tags. Tags need to go - they are an irritant to almost every SPD kid I've ever met. Any stitching that isn't flat, any logo that has stitched through to the other side in a "hard" manner is an irritant. Some kids need their clothing very tight and binding, some very loose and flowing. Some need socks and shoes all of the time, some need to be barefoot or almost barefoot. How everything "feels" is very important: silky, rough, soft, smooth... you get the picture.

Oh - and the house. One of the kids I know, you could "peg" him a mile away. His folks are constantly perplexed why they "can't get him well" (massive sinus infections, food issues etc.). Yet they REFUSE to remove their carpet. The have probably spent $100,000 in medical bills on this kid, but they won't pull up the carpet to the hard wood floors beneath. They have some odd idea that, by vacuuming periodically, it is "clean" - that the dirt doesn't sift down to the pad and beneath. They've even had a mold infestation in their basement yet still refuse to remove that main floor carpet. IDK.

That's what I've got.

a

Maybe I'll just bullet point it:

Noise:

Some kids want none, because it is too overwhelming. This translates into a need for silence during school, going to bed, etc. It also translates into not liking crowds.

Some kids want lots, so as to block out the "noise in their head", which may be nothing but "white noise", but is distracting nonetheless. This may translate into liking crowds.

People:

Some kids don't like people, or only want to be around family, or only around one person at a time. Usually because people are "too much work".

Some kids like lots of people, either because they are naturally gregarious, like the outlet for what they feel the need to say, or simply find the anonymity of a crowd comforting (the opposite of above, which would find a crowd overwhelming).

Food:

Some things are easy to figure right off the bat: Red dye and sugared cereal were immediately off the list for us. Other things are not so easy to see. The easiest thing to do is simply watch kid like a hawk, and see what their behavior does in the couple/few hours immediately after eating something. Other foods are trickier and have to be figured out over the long term. Allergies are relatively easy: pinpricks on the back at the allergist, and you're done. Intolerances are hard. A dietician can give you a nutritionally sound elimination diet that you work through over a couple/few months, and you can *usually* figure out what it is that is causing the problem. IME, intolerances, not allergies are what cause the majority of problems in this population. I've also discovered that, because everyone is their own special snowflake, what "works for everyone else" doesn't necessarily work for your kid (or yourself). Everyone I know who has problems with lactose moves to soy. Well, soy was worse for me than milk! I had to switch to rice. I have a friend who is gluten intolerant, but has no problems with lactose. But he can't handle corn. Try finding food in the gluten free section w/o corn!

I think that's what I wrote that disappeared...

a

A consult with an OT can give you some great insight. There is a technique called brushing that works really well for some children. Some emotional sensory issues are anxiety disorders that must be treated in more than one way. (Sensory diet, brushing, relaxation techniques, etc...) A really good OT is a wonderful asset.

(PS- I'm not an OT, just a mom with children that have sensory issues!)

Maybe I'll just bullet point it:

Noise:

Some kids want none, because it is too overwhelming. This translates into a need for silence during school, going to bed, etc. It also translates into not liking crowds.

People:

Some kids don't like people, or only want to be around family, or only around one person at a time. Usually because people are "too much work".

Food:

Some things are easy to figure right off the bat: Red dye and sugared cereal were immediately off the list for us.

a

The above three were (and in some cases still are) biggies for us. The food thing has lessened as he has gotten older, but when he was at the height of his sensory issues there was marked improvement when we eliminated artificial flavors and colors from his diet. I know that the jury is still out on this scientifically, but from our own personal experience this was huge.

In addition to what the others have said, add a good omega-3 supplement to your child's diet. Use the standard dose, but an OT may recommend you go higher if you don't see any behavioral changes. Omega-3s are essential for helping an SPD child's nervous system to function optimally...softens the blow of things, so to speak. A doc or OT can tell you more.

Thank you for the input. Some behaviors/sensitivities have lessened over time. And many things (like providing a quiet place to unwind after sensory overload) are things I've done instinctually. We're a fairly chemical free household, though I do wonder about our carpet, now that you mentioned it. We do some fish oil but dh was saying that he doesn't think it is high enough quality or a high enough dose. We did an elimination diet (a good one) and nothing showed up as problems.

Yes, anxiety is a biggie.

Does something like "Rescue Remedy" work in the midst of a total melt-down? (We had one right in the middle of the mall last night).

Does something like "Rescue Remedy" work in the midst of a total melt-down? (We had one right in the middle of the mall last night).

Only if kid likes Rescue Remedy.

You need to find what the "thing" is that snaps kid back into their own self. And prepare yourself to sit down on the floor of the mall in the mama-bear hug until kid can recognize it.

Some I've heard:

Silky fabric

Heavy blanket

Head phones

Ear phones w/ music

Handheld game (not necessarily electronic)

Favorite repetitive _________ (book, bouncy ball, twisty weird hand puzzle, etc.)

For my kid, it was bouncy balls. I'm still finding them in the house, and he is 16 (he doesn't use them anymore).

a

We're still working on it here, but major things were gluten and anything artificial (color, flavoring, preservatives, etc.). Also, we have to monitor screen time - in any form - as it can really disregulate him. Watching a few shows in the afternoon seems to set him off the least. Video games are only played once a week and they need to be timed. Physical activity helps, especially outside, to help him regulate. Another thing that might help with anxiety-based sensitivites is inositol. Technically, if I remember correctly, it is a B vitamin. It is recommended that adults take 12 grams (2 tablespoons usually) a day; I'm not sure how that would work for kids (maybe just assume 12 grams to 150 pound adult ratio, and go from there?), but I have read and seen many testimonies of how inositol brought anxiety under control.

The supplements that have helped my dd the most are magnesium (she uses Peter Gillham's Natural Calm, you can also get it without the natural flavoring) and Fish Oil. She particularly notices a difference if she forgets her magnesium. She is sleeping much better and used to have horrible problems with noise sensitivity. I have seen huge progress since she began this protocol.

http://www.betterhealthinternational.com/productDetails.asp?prodID=PY00100

A consult with an OT can give you some great insight. There is a technique called brushing that works really well for some children. Some emotional sensory issues are anxiety disorders that must be treated in more than one way. (Sensory diet, brushing, relaxation techniques, etc...) A really good OT is a wonderful asset.

(PS- I'm not an OT, just a mom with children that have sensory issues!)

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

You should seriously have a consultation with an OT.

OT does not change your child's personality. It will help them deal with the world around them.

For me the key is to get OUT of the mall, and then whatever it takes to get back to yourself. Big hug, pressure, silence.... Different things at different times. But just getting out is the first step.

Then you can try something like Rescue Remedy. If it helps that kid....

IMO, as a mom of a kid with sensory issues, thinks like looking at food triggers, clothing, noise and supplements can be part of the solution as well as ways of mitigating the situation.

With my son, we accommodated his clothing issues - no buttons, pockets, zippers or snaps, removed tags from clothing with a seam-ripper, bought "seamless" socks, comfy underwear ... and so on. We are a pretty "clean-living" family trying to eat whole foods where possible and were already limiting access to foods with unnecessary additives. We made the house a quieter environment. When we went visiting, we tried to arrive early so that my son could acclimate before the noise levels elevated with the arrival of more people. We encouraged exercise because he had fewer tantrums if he had exercise. Food was especially hard, but I learned to puree veggies in sauces and meatloaf so as not to offend his sensitive palate. I learned to cook certain things he liked so that there would always be something at the table that he would eat (not short-order cooking or anything like that, but taking into account his tastes when planning meals.) Rescue Remedy was a good thing, but I rarely remembered to give it in the throes of a tantrum, probably because I was stressed out as well;).

All of these things were necessary to keep our sanity. However, if we do not address the real problem, how the brain processes sensory input, we are doing our children a disservice. Accommodations are fine in our own homes, but the rest of the world is not going to provide those accommodations. This can be very limiting on these children. The short-term fixes are necessary for making life livable in the short-term, but it is just as important to think long term.

OT is one direction for helping with sensory issues. Neurodevelopmental therapy is another. We did not have good luck with OT (got stuck with someone not as familiar with sensory stuff) , but have had fantastic success with NACD. My tantrum-laden unhappy toddler/preschooler/elementary aged child has grown into a fun-loving, sweet, good-tempered teenager - all due to therapy that taught his brain that sensory input was not a bad thing to shrink from and how to organize it all instead of flooding.

We make sure that our sensitive child gets protein at every meal, especially at breakfast.

And we do the same kind of thing that Ellen talks about here with clothing. Clothing and noise are the primary issues for us here.

Ellen, I've never heard of neurodevelopmental therapy. Can you provide a link or more information? I'm curious.

Thanks. :)

IMO, as a mom of a kid with sensory issues, thinks like looking at food triggers, clothing, noise and supplements can be part of the solution as well as ways of mitigating the situation.

With my son, we accommodated his clothing issues - no buttons, pockets, zippers or snaps, removed tags from clothing with a seam-ripper, bought "seamless" socks, comfy underwear ... and so on. We are a pretty "clean-living" family trying to eat whole foods where possible and were already limiting access to foods with unnecessary additives. We made the house a quieter environment. When we went visiting, we tried to arrive early so that my son could acclimate before the noise levels elevated with the arrival of more people. We encouraged exercise because he had fewer tantrums if he had exercise. Food was especially hard, but I learned to puree veggies in sauces and meatloaf so as not to offend his sensitive palate. I learned to cook certain things he liked so that there would always be something at the table that he would eat (not short-order cooking or anything like that, but taking into account his tastes when planning meals.) Rescue Remedy was a good thing, but I rarely remembered to give it in the throes of a tantrum, probably because I was stressed out as well;).

All of these things were necessary to keep our sanity. However, if we do not address the real problem, how the brain processes sensory input, we are doing our children a disservice. Accommodations are fine in our own homes, but the rest of the world is not going to provide those accommodations. This can be very limiting on these children. The short-term fixes are necessary for making life livable in the short-term, but it is just as important to think long term.

OT is one direction for helping with sensory issues. Neurodevelopmental therapy is another. We did not have good luck with OT (got stuck with someone not as familiar with sensory stuff) , but have had fantastic success with NACD. My tantrum-laden unhappy toddler/preschooler/elementary aged child has grown into a fun-loving, sweet, good-tempered teenager - all due to therapy that taught his brain that sensory input was not a bad thing to shrink from and how to organize it all instead of flooding.

:iagree:

I thought dd was doing very well and had outgrown a lot of her sensory issues, but now I'm realizing that we had merely learned to manage them. Dd had major surgery in early January and we have found ourselves in a situation for the last couple of months where we couldn't manage the stimulus. It has been a nightmare, and it's been making her recovery so very difficult. I know that throughout her life there will be other situations that can't be managed, like pain and other sensations within her body. I need to find out more about the neuro-developmental approach. But the fees, ouch! I also wonder if it would be tough to fit it in with the PT starting.

I found that when our sensory sensitive dd had meltdowns that telling her a story in a very soft voice/whisper made her stop so that she could listen to the story. She loves any stories so this was her remedy.

Clothes- What helped her the most was backing off and not making an issue of it. If she wanted to wear clogs without socks in the winter that was her choice. Letting her have a say in her comfort helped. Of course we still cut out tags and she wears loose, soft, cotton clothes.

Noise- We just avoided noisy places when she was younger. Now she can be prepared and can tolerate it (though she does not enjoy it).

Rapid changes or rushing set her off so, allow plenty of time and give warning of what is coming (we are leaving in 15 minutes, tomorrow we are going..., etc).

She has alot of allergies and food sensitivities so we did a diet starting with rice and chicken then added a new food each day or two until we found the triggers (this was for allergies not behavior triggers but the concept is the same).

Things that help-tight hugs, holding hands and squeezing it tight, and not forcing her to do more than she could handle (slow and steady wins the race:001_smile:), but keep challenging her with new situations. The biggest thing was my reaction to her-if I was irritated or told her to just deal with it she became more anxious/stressed, if I remained calm then she could relax more. Avoid processed foods, and artificial colors. We never tried supplements just a healthy diet.

Each child is different so just try to be in tune and patient, as frustrating as it is for us as parents it is more frustrating to them.:grouphug:

Gina

We make sure that our sensitive child gets protein at every meal, especially at breakfast.

And we do the same kind of thing that Ellen talks about here with clothing. Clothing and noise are the primary issues for us here.

Ellen, I've never heard of neurodevelopmental therapy. Can you provide a link or more information? I'm curious.

Thanks. :)

A few friends of ours have used "Hope and a Future." They have a website but I'm not sure of the exact address. Perhaps you can try googling the name. My friends who use them have kids at different places on the autism spectrum. Dd is not on the spectrum, so I wonder if it would still work for her.

For us, red dye is a HUGE trigger. You can get a ton of sensory diet ideas from The Out-of-sync Child Has Fun. Dd is sensory seeking and loves brushing, joint compressions, wrestling, jumping, rolling, bouncing on balls, etc. It helps keep her from seeking out her own sensory stimulation... like chewing on metal and stuff.... (She also saw an OT for a year.)