Menu

In your opinion and experience, which state is the EASIEST to homeschool in?

False, false, false ! (Thank goodness !) One might live in a city, the school district of which erroneously thinks this is the case. Sometimes I read of such instances.

When I attended a hs workshop last year, the speaker said that in TX we do have to send a letter of intent to the school. Is this incorrect?

North Carolina is a notification state. We are required to keep attendance, yearly standardized test scores and immunizations records on site. Any reporting is voluntary. NC is a great state for homeschooling with a large HS community.

Immunization records ?!?! :eek: That would mean obtaining the state's legal exemption document and keeping it at home, renewing it whenever it expired. Good grief !

I did not understand something. If "any reporting is voluntary", how does that square with all those requirements listed ?

Immunization records ?!?! :eek: That would mean obtaining the state's legal exemption document and keeping it at home, renewing it whenever it expired. Good grief !

You are required to *keep* those records in NC but you are *not* required to turn them in to the state. It's a very weird, I think.

When we lived in Germany I sent a letter of intent to the school as a heads-up type of thing.

I lived in NC, which has been explained.

Here in Hawaii we send a letter of intent to the school and a yearly progress report *or* test scores. Test scores are required in certain grades.

Any state where testing, immunization, etc is required is more difficult than states where nothing is required. I'd rather be in a state where nothing is required. Do people slip through the cracks? Yes. Do they slip through the cracks in states with high requirements? Yes. Do some kids slip through the cracks in public or private school? Yes.

dude. I am totally in the wrong place. Maryland bites.

I'm in Maryland too and, while I completely envy TX and OK, I don't think MD is bad at all if you go with the umbrella option. It's a pain if you go the school board review option. The umbrella option is a nice way to circumvent the county reviews, which I found hostile (but not everyone does). I've always thought it's a relief that MD doesn't require testing, which seems to be the norm for all adjoining states.

Does anyone get a Tax Break for Homeschool supplies?

I keep looking at moving to an easy Homeschool state One day.

Georgia isn't the worst, but we do have to do intents, attendence monthly, tests every 3 years, and an end of the year report on what you accomplished (but you don't have to turn this one in).

Alaska. Just don't send them - they'll be completely off the grid, or enroll in an umbrella program much like what the PP from CA described above complete w/ support, funding, & freebies. You can have it any way you like it here. :)

I have a friend in AK who gets a TON of money from the state for WHATEVER she wants to spend it on . . . books, laptop, classes (like fitness / nature / music) . . . I'm TOTALLY jealous of her system in AK.

I have a friend in AK who gets a TON of money from the state for WHATEVER she wants to spend it on . . . books, laptop, classes (like fitness / nature / music) . . . I'm TOTALLY jealous of her system in AK.

I have a friend in Washington who participates in a similar program. However, that money is not without strings (in either case, I know people who have done it in Alaska). In Alaska they get $1600 for K-3, $1800 for 4-8 and $2000 for 9-12. However, they also have to have monthly communication with a teacher, participate in state testing, send in quarterly work samples, submit Individual Learning Plans and so forth. Also, the non-consumable materials you buy with this money (in Alaska) are not your own, they belong to the school system and you are expected to return them if you drop out of the program for whatever reason. You also cannot buy religious curricula with the money.

Hawaii also has a public charter school, you get a laptop for each child, you get money for curricula and activities but it comes with strings too.

I have a friend in Washington who participates in a similar program. However, that money is not without strings (in either case, I know people who have done it in Alaska). In Alaska they get $1600 for K-3, $1800 for 4-8 and $2000 for 9-12. However, they also have to have monthly communication with a teacher, participate in state testing, send in quarterly work samples, submit Individual Learning Plans and so forth. Also, the non-consumable materials you buy with this money (in Alaska) are not your own, they belong to the school system and you are expected to return them if you drop out of the program for whatever reason. You also cannot buy religious curricula with the money.

Hawaii also has a public charter school, you get a laptop for each child, you get money for curricula and activities but it comes with strings too.

Things have changed. I was in Alaska with the IDEA system in 1995. Back then we got $3500 per year, with almost no strings. We could use it for anything, the only exception was no religious curriculum. We did have to submit what we planned to teach. Nothing had to be returned, we couldn't buy computers, but they did issue us one if we didn't own one.

In 1997, they required testing in some grades. I left the program before the official school start of 1998, as they required much more... approval of lessons, meetings with a teacher, testing more, no outside classes, on and on.

It was great while it lasted, but I soon learned that strings are attached......... even if you don't see them at first...... they will show up.

I would never ever participate in a government funded program of any kind now. I respect the freedom more now, and will hang on to it at all costs.

I don't give a flip what he / she is the president of, Texas law is simple. NOTHING but teach your children LOL.

Not quite "nothing". I remember reading in a Texas-published homeschool handbook that our laws require us to cover certain topics, using bona fide curricula. One of the required subjects is a never-defined "course in good citizenship". If some grinch were to force a legal investigation of my home, I would have to provide proof of written and/or computer-based curricula for the required subjects. In practice, though, it is "nothing" because few of us ever are attacked by the local school system. At least, those of us in urban areas generally are safe. Small towns might have a worse climate for homeschooling.

P.S. Here is the text from HSLDA's synopsis of Texas' laws:

: As a result of the Leeper decision, home schools do not have to initiate contact with a school district, submit to home visits, have curriculum approved or have any specific teacher certification. Home schools need only have a written curriculum, conduct it in a bona fide manner and teach math, reading, spelling, grammar, and good citizenship. [END QUOTE]
Edited by Orthodox6
add additional info

Not quite "nothing". I remember reading in a Texas-published homeschool handbook that our laws require us to cover certain topics, using bona fide curricula. One of the required subjects is a never-defined "course in good citizenship". If some grinch were to force a legal investigation of my home, I would have to provide proof of written and/or computer-based curricula for the required subjects. In practice, though, it is "nothing" because few of us ever are attacked by the local school system. At least, those of us in urban areas generally are safe. Small towns might have a worse climate for homeschooling.

Ok you got me. We volunteer at the local homeless shelter and participate in beach clean ups. I never thought of the good citzenship course....... as I am a good citizen. :D I think good citzenship is pretty much required for any child hoping to go to college, in one form or another.

Ok you got me. We volunteer at the local homeless shelter and participate in beach clean ups. I never thought of the good citzenship course....... as I am a good citizen. :D I think good citzenship is pretty much required for any child hoping to go to college, in one form or another.

Put it on your transcripts as "A" grades, with a record like that !

I always shake my head in amusement over that requirement. If asked, I'll just point to scouting (dd), acolyte service and tonsured reader (3 ds), and the lack of any police records. :)

Put it on your transcripts as "A" grades, with a record like that !

I always shake my head in amusement over that requirement. If asked, I'll just point to scouting (dd), acolyte service and tonsured reader (3 ds), and the lack of any police records. :)

:iagree: I live in South Texas, any child without a criminal record should automatically get that credit !!!!!! :lol:

No one mentioned New Mexico, it ranks right up there under Texas and Oklahoma. No one mentioned Wyoming, not too bad either. Homeschool Education Magazine contains abbreviation of legalities as does HSLDA.

We were in Maryland, I thought "this bites" also. Pennsylvania, much worse. Texas, a whole other country.:auto:

My 51st post BTW.

In Alaska they get $1600 for K-3, $1800 for 4-8 and $2000 for 9-12. However, they also have to have monthly communication with a teacher, participate in state testing, send in quarterly work samples, submit Individual Learning Plans and so forth. Also, the non-consumable materials you buy with this money (in Alaska) are not your own, they belong to the school system and you are expected to return them if you drop out of the program for whatever reason. You also cannot buy religious curricula with the money.

The "free" laptops or computers offered by umbrella schools (distance learning through public school districts) are not always free. You have to make a down payment out of pocket & make payments on it. There's another option to have payments deducted from your yearly stipend (listed above in Mrs. Mungo's post - those are the correct current amounts). The restrictions on what curriculum you can list on your transcript (ILP) and what you can buy with that money are tight. They didn't reimburse for the gears & pulleys set from Lego education, they won't reimburse for many household items used in science projects, or anything else not directly an educational curricular program or supplement.

Which brings me to another point - they don't just hand you the money. You have to submit reciepts or have them order things via Purchase Order. You have to make sure these things fall within state restrictions on what can be reimbursed.

To get any of this, you are enrolling your child in a public school district and required to participate in standardized testing. They keep up with your progress to an extent. They do allow "parent-designed courses" as long as you show that you will meet each state standard for that grade/subject. This is helpful for things like WTM science.

In AK you can either choose the money with the many strings attached, or go it alone.

Oh ya, and classes have to be through an approved vendor. Any one item (the reciept for it) submitted for reimbursement cannot total over $199. The computer purchase/lease program is through the school district you're enrolled w/ and that's the only exception to that rule - see the other caveats in my post above. It's not so bad up here if you use the umbrella programs, but your friend must be trying to lure you into moving up here w/ her or something b/c it's not as peachy like she describes.

:iagree: Oklahoma is the only state in the entire nation that actually has the legal right to homeschool written into our constitution. We have absolutely NO restrictions. We don't have to report intent, attendance etc. and we have absolutely zero testing requirements, EVER!! We fly completely under the radar. As far as the state of Oklahoma is concerned homeschool kids here do not exist. There is no record of them in the system either by intent, attendance, testing etc. (unless of course they were in the public school system at one point) Otherwise, there is no record of any homeschooled kids here nor has one ever been required. Personally, I like it that way. ;)

Idaho Law also gives the right to the parents to determine the education of their children.

What colleges and universities have done in the past -- perhaps still do? -- is to impose a discriminatory application procedure on homeschooled prospective students. Homeschoolers were/are required to submit results from several more standardized tests -- typically what now are renamed "SAT-II" exams -- than are required for "real" [cough] applicants.

Total side note but does that effect the way colleges view a homeschooled student? I just wondered if they take an education from an "easy" state less seriously than the tough states? Just wondering!

Love homeschooling in OK. Nothing to do and the authorities have a tough time finding reasons to bother you as it is written into the state constitution.

California has a nice homeschool law as it is written, at least when we lived there. How the local districts choose to view it and how much they want to harrass you is a completely different matter. I think they some districts there loved to push the envelope on bullying homeschoolers. Fortunately, we were not bothered there.

Very few colleges require SAT 2 tests from homeschoolers. Some of them say SAT and SAT 2 or ACT. WE are doing the latter.

varies by state and by school.

I'm curious why the ACT would be coupled with one of the SAT-2 tests. The ACT covers subjects not included in the SAT. (and perhaps I used the wrong nomenclature. What were called "Subject Achievement Tests" in my era became, I thought, "SAT-2" tests.)

What colleges and universities have done in the past -- perhaps still do? -- is to impose a discriminatory application procedure on homeschooled prospective students. Homeschoolers were/are required to submit results from several more standardized tests -- typically what now are renamed "SAT-II" exams -- than are required for "real" [cough] applicants.

Our local state university simply required a GED (which substituted for the normal high school transcript and is required for all students that don't have an official school record) and the SAT (which ALL prospective students had to take). Their main reason was so that they would know where to start my son in maths and English courses--whether he could go into a more advanced level, or had to start at the basics.

Linda