Menu

Scholarship Win!

Blue Hen

Wahooo! DS just won a $2000 scholarship, renewable each year, from the Delaware Engineering Society to the University of Delaware. It is their maximum scholarship too. He still is eligible for additional merit scholarships from U of DE which are announced in late March. I'm excited.

Great way to start the day!

I've lost track of the conversation, has your son ruled out Drexel?

Drexel is still on the list but he wasn't thrilled with their inner-city location. We plan to visit again, so we'll see. His Granddad attended Drexel and I'm not sure how that is waying in on his decision too.

Since U of DE is our in-state school the cost to attend is by-far the lowest for us. However, DS would love to GO further away from home then the school up the street.

DS plans to major in Chemical Engineering and UDE ranks 6 or 10th in the nation in this major :) He'll have some decisions to make in April but right now he'd rather just see what is coming his way.

Congratulations to you and your son!!

I'm sorry if I have missed this, but has your son decided for sure where he wants to go? :)

He has decided where he wants to go however $$$$$ between that school's cost and that of U of DE is huge. He's being very realistic though and is talking about cost and thinking about how much debt he would need to take on........ We'll see how everything turns out though---and who knows----I've heard of kids changing their minds between Feb and April too.

Carole

He has decided where he wants to go however $$$$$ between that school's cost and that of U of DE is huge. He's being very realistic though and is talking about cost and thinking about how much debt he would need to take on........ We'll see how everything turns out though---and who knows----I've heard of kids changing their minds between Feb and April too.

Carole

Carole, I so understand the dilemma! I was fortunate to have my eldest daughter stick to some financially "smart" schools. She is currently attending an excellent state school on a partial merit scholarship, making an already reasonably-priced school very manageable.

DD#2, however, has her sights set on some very expensive schools. The kind that don't give merit aid (and we're part of the middle class that will never receive substantial need based aid). I have about a year to talk her down. ;)

Please keep us posted as to what he decides, ok? Best of luck to him and you as you all make these decisions!