Menu

Wow, I was just looking at the Highlands Latin School website...

and I looked at their schedule! :eek:

Kindergarten is 2 full days a week.

1st AND 2nd grade is 3 full days a week.

3rd grade through 12th grade is 4 days a week!

:confused: How would you like to send your child to school in 2nd grade for only 3 days a week?

Personally, I like the idea, but if I were sending my kids to school it would likely be because I had to work so I'm not sure that kind of scheduling would work.

Personally, I like the idea, but if I were sending my kids to school it would likely be because I had to work so I'm not sure that kind of scheduling would work.

I'm going to guess that if you could afford to send them to Highlands Latin School you could afford childcare on the days they weren't at school. :D

Btw, I once emailed them about their dress code. They have a certain type of leather shoe that is required. I explained that we are vegan and asked about an alternative. Their reply? There is no alternative. If you want to go to their school, you wear their uniform.

Tara

I'm going to guess that if you could afford to send them to Highlands Latin School you could afford childcare on the days they weren't at school. :D

Btw, I once emailed them about their dress code. They have a certain type of leather shoe that is required. I explained that we are vegan and asked about an alternative. Their reply? There is no alternative. If you want to go to their school, you wear their uniform.

Tara

Actually if you look at their tuition, they're considerably more affordable than many private classical schools. In part because they aren't 5 days a week.

That's a little silly about the shoes though. I can't imagine there aren't any synthetic leather shoes out there that would have been acceptable. :P

It'd be $803 a month for us to send our youngest two. That's a wee bit out of our price range ... ;)

Tara

Unless you were working, but then you would have to shell out more for childcare on top of that. :D

If I had to go back to work, I would prefer that my kids were at a classical school 5 days a week, than 2 days a week at school and 3 with a babysitter 3 days a week. :001_huh:

It did get me to wonder if I should homeschool 4 days a week instead of 5. :001_huh: Maybe I could homeschool for 3 days a week, but I prefer to school (1st grade) 5 half days instead.

Most of the people I know who send their kids to Latin school (either Highlands or the one where I live, started by friends of Highlands' director) do it because they still want to homeschool. They send the kids three days a week, and the kids do the work the other two days a week. The mom may still homeschool younger sibs, or work PT. If money were an issue, I don't think people would do Highlands.

It'd be $803 a month for us to send our youngest two. That's a wee bit out of our price range ... ;)

Tara

Oh yeah, totally out of our range too! I was just speaking comparatively with the price of a 5 day/week classical school. There's a University-model school near us and while it's not *that* much in comparison, tuition + uniforms + books + fees = so thankful we love homeschooling. ;)

Yes, but pretty typical.

My nieces go to a classical school and the 6 yo doesn't have school one day a week. The school sends a packet home for the parents to do with their child. Basically the idea is that 5 full days is a lot for a 6 yo. I have to agree.

I agree too, but I'm still surprised that people will send their 8 year old for school 3 days a week, pay all that money, and have 2 days where you need to provide childcare by hiring or just doing it yourself.

I'm just thinking about the private school that I use to work at and the parents sent them there because of the early care and after care and they would not have sent them if the school week was 2, 3, or 4 days. I'm surprised that is not an issue for them. That school is 3 times more expensive than Highlands. :eek:

Kindergarten is 2 full days a week.

1st AND 2nd grade is 3 full days a week.

3rd grade through 12th grade is 4 days a week!

:confused: How would you like to send your child to school in 2nd grade for only 3 days a week?

Actually, that would have been the perfect schedule for me when I was working, and I could have HSed on the other days. If only there was something like that around here! And the tuition is nothing for this area. The least expensive private school around here is $8K-$9K a year per kid, and it's brand new and kind of experimental (seems like a good school though). The others are $25K, minimum.

Actually, that would have been the perfect schedule for me when I was working, and I could have HSed on the other days. If only there was something like that around here! And the tuition is nothing for this area. The least expensive private school around here is $8K-$9K a year per kid, and it's brand new and kind of experimental (seems like a good school though). The others are $25K, minimum.

You start one, and I can send my kids! :w00t:

You start one, and I can send my kids! :w00t:

I'm from Suburban Essex County, NJ, and yes, I hear you. Being in northern Virginia now, the situation is similar: there are a couple of schools in the $8-9K range; there are a few schools in the $14-17K range; and the remaining schools are in the $24K and up range. Last year, a family at the private school my children attended was not going to return to our very nice private school at $8K a year -- instead they were going to send all four of their children to the $29K/per child school where they had been on a waiting list.

Here's the Curriculum Guide for the 2010-2011 school year.

http://www.thelatinschool.org/files/10-11CurriculumGuide.pdf

Thank you.

So right off - I notice that there is no science or history in K - 2.

And in 3 - 6, science is only once a week for 1/2 hour. Art is maybe 1/2 hour a week (because it is listed along with recess. History is twice a week.

In 7 - 8 grade, Math is only 3 days a week. Science shares with geography, so you have it twice a week but probably not all year. . .

So definitely, it would require additional work at home, in my opinion. This isn't a criticism of them but perhaps a difference between my ranking system of subjects and theirs.

Thank you.

So right off - I notice that there is no science or history in K - 2.

And in 3 - 6, science is only once a week for 1/2 hour. Art is maybe 1/2 hour a week (because it is listed along with recess. History is twice a week.

In 7 - 8 grade, Math is only 3 days a week. Science shares with geography, so you have it twice a week but probably not all year. . .

So definitely, it would require additional work at home, in my opinion. This isn't a criticism of them but perhaps a difference between my ranking system of subjects and theirs.

They do history and science in K-2:

http://www.thelatinschool.org/K2.html

Geography, History, and Science

Students work with maps and globes to learn continents, oceans, and major countries. They read about great Americans in the D'Aulaires' books and Eggleston readers. In science, students learn about the planets and seasons and take nature walks in our beautiful Crescent Hill neighborhood to collect leaves, flowers, acorns, bugs, and more! Students read and study about the many interesting creatures in the Plant and Animal Kingdoms in their Nature Readers. The Crescent Hill public library next door is a wonderful resource for children's nonfiction books on all aspects of science, history, and geography.

I imagine it is covered in the "Read Alouds" part of the schedule. Other subjects are also covered at home with homework.

If it were here and I had the money, my dc would be there. Since it isn't and we don't, I am trying to do a poor facsimile here.:D My dc are not getting the art I want them to, or the music, or the...you get the picture.

They do history and science in K-2:

http://www.thelatinschool.org/K2.html

I imagine it is covered in the "Read Alouds" part of the schedule. Other subjects are also covered at home with homework.

If it were here and I had the money, my dc would be there. Since it isn't and we don't, I am trying to do a poor facsimile here.:D

I'm sure it is covered in the read-alouds. That would work for history for me. It wouldn't work for science. I love lots of good hands-on science at that age.

I am not vegan, but this would really bother me. There's no reason to be this inflexible!!