Menu

Biblioplan users-why did you choose this over TOG?

mommyagain

Aside from the price tag? They both look like great curriculums but TOG seems like so much..........more. I've been reading all the threads I can find on both and I'm still having a hard time deciding. TOG seems like a lot more work, is it necessary? How is Biblioplan for dialectic and rhetoric stages? Do you think your dc would get the same depth of education with either choice? The many hands on projects in the lower levels and the thinking/discussion questions in the upper levels are what appeal to me with TOG. How hard would that be to add to Biblioplan?

Thanks so much in advance!! I know similar questions have been asked before, but someone please push me over the edge one way or the other:D!!

TOG looked very overwhelming since I was just starting out with HS. And now I know that I made the right choice because BP fits nicely into our weekly schedule. Biblioplan is also very inexpensive in comparision.

I'm going to check out the other thread. I've never used TOG so I can't comment on that. It's coming from comparing samples and what I felt would fit with my children. Plus budget constraints.

BP fits nicely into our weekly schedule. Biblioplan is also very inexpensive in comparision.

I used TOG for 3 years. I am on week 8 of BP. TOG was a huge initial investment. When they went with the Digital and you could no longer sell it and re-coop some $$ I started looking for something else. With that said, if you plan on using it ALL the way through then I think it's a wonderful curricula. But, I had in the 3 years already started to deviate from the book list, the mapping and I found the discussion questions rather similar to any other lit. course. So, I knew I wanted History and mapping , that's it. I can now add LL7 like I want to, extra books I like better from ATTA, and most importantly I find the weekly planning for BP so easy compared to TOG, never-mind you can't beat the cost:)

I can now add LL7 like I want to, extra books I like better from ATTA, and most importantly I find the weekly planning for BP so easy compared to TOG, never-mind you can't beat the cost:)

Fay, help a newbie out and tell me what ATTA stands for? That sounds interesting.

I've been using Biblioplan for 4 years now (our first time through the cycle). As I plan for our second time through, I have been investigating TOG. The big draw for me for TOG would be having teacher notes and discussion questions. I know Biblioplan very well, and I have been trying to get to know TOG well through the available samples and book lists. At this point in my research, I am strongly leaning toward using Biblioplan again. Here are the factors leading me in that direction.

1. Cost is a biggie. We have a fixed budget for home schooling, and if I spend $170 on ToG, that is money that can't be spent on books, other subjects, etc.

2. If I were to spend that much on ToG, I would expect it to fit me perfectly or not need much tweaking. After looking at the sample, I think I would be tweaking it a lot.

3. In looking at the sample, my daughter seems to be between levels. The UG books are too easy for her. Not sure if she's fully ready for dialectic level discussion. This is where a lot of tweaking would be taking place. I would be trying to use books from two levels probably, altering questions and activities, etc.

4. I would want to do maps, and the map package seems expensive--$25 every year for maps. I'm looking at Home School in the Woods map CD that would be $30 for all 4 years.

5. I love the Biblioplan books. We did not use the 5+ books or even the 3+ books the first year and I've been looking forward to many of them. I really thought there would be more overlap between ToG and Biblioplan booklists, but there isn't as much as I thought. There are books that I specifically want to use, like Victor Journey Through the Bible, that are in Biblioplan but not ToG. Again, more tweaking.

6. We don't do much in the way of activities. Don't need that; Biblioplan doesn't have it. We have the SOTW AGs if we do want to do any of that this time around.

7. We didn't use the Biblioplan writing prompts for our first time through. They look good and I would like to try them this time through.

8. Biblioplan is so easy to use--one page schedule for each week. Shows the weekly theme, all of the readings (from which you pick and choose your resources--can't do everything), map and timeline prompts in addition to the writing prompt. The planning is very easy. ToG would require a lot more time. I like a one-page piece of paper better than trying to find everything I need from a digital download.

9. As I thought more about teacher notes, I realized that I am doing other things to learn the material. I watch Teaching Company courses, am trying to get through SWB's book, and we read much of the material out loud together. I really am capable of discussing this stuff!

10. I am interested in history primarily. I think ToG has more than I need or would use.

Anyway, that's where I am at in comparing these two. I'm sure my familiarity with Biblioplan biases me a bit in that direction. But it really is a good program and has served us well. And I've heard it's even better for logic stage. Maybe if I had a rhetoric level child ToG would win out.

Your replies have been helpful!

Shannon - thanks for the link. I don't know how I missed that in my previous search!

Fay and Ali - it was your glowing reports of Biblioplan that sent me to research it in the first place! Thank you!

I think I am going to go with my original gut feeling and go with Biblioplan. I can do our first history rotation with BP and reevaluate after 4 yrs. I really like the freedom to add whatever I like (and also have the funds to do so:)). I am eagerly awaiting the release of their revamped Ancients (complete with Parent Companion and Cool History pages!).

Are you guys on the Yahoo group? I just signed up for it.

You girls are the best!!!

God Bless!!

I am eagerly awaiting the release of their revamped Ancients (complete with Parent Companion and Cool History pages!).

Are you guys on the Yahoo group? I just signed up for it.

I am trying to decide between these two programs. I am leaning towards TOG because of the teacher notes. I am curious about what will be in the Parent Companion in Biblioplan. Is it going to be in the program or an add on to the program?

Jan

I am trying to decide between these two programs. I am leaning towards TOG because of the teacher notes.

Jan

I have Biblioplan for the Middle Ages and no Parent Pages are available yet. I purchased Truthquest (Middle Ages) to use as commentary and additional book lists. I use the TQ notes for myself. I read them and then reltate it to my two boys (7 & 9 yrs.) I appreciate the Biblical Woldview it provides along with background info that I wouldn't have picked up or thought about by just using the sources we're reading aloud.

I have looked at TOG several times. It just seems like more than I want or need. IMO, purchasing curriculum is supposed to make life easier. TOG seems like too much work. That said, I have no doubt that it is an excellent program, especially for larger familes or for children who are not spaced closely in age.

From what I read on the Yahoo group, the update will be just like what they have for their America and the World guides. If you go to their website you can get a look at those. The parent companion will be an e-book and I believe the Cool History pages can be purcased as an e-book or hard copy. I think they are also updating the guide to replace OOP resources. It should be out in April.

If anyone knows more, please chime in!

I have Biblioplan for the Middle Ages and no Parent Pages are available yet. I purchased Truthquest (Middle Ages) to use as commentary and additional book lists. I use the TQ notes for myself. I read them and then reltate it to my two boys (7 & 9 yrs.) I appreciate the Biblical Woldview it provides along with background info that I wouldn't have picked up or thought about by just using the sources we're reading aloud.

Using Truthquest w/Biblioplan is a GREAT idea!! Thanks!!!

I would like more info. on these things, too. Pretty please.

Hi Julie!

If you go to www.biblioplan.net and take a look at their America and The World guides you can see what they will be like. I think this curriculum might be the answer to what we were discussing on the SCM board, four year cycle, biblically based and less intense than TOG (and much less expensive!).:hurray:

Edited by mommyagain

Hi Julie!

If you go to www.biblioplan.com and take a look at their America and The World guides you can see what they will be like. I think this curriculum might be the answer to what we were discussing on the SCM board, four year cycle, biblically based and less intense than TOG (and much less expensive!).:hurray:

Thank you so much! I hadn't looked at anything other than the Ancients, so I hadn't noticed the other components.

My only hesitancy with BP is that it looks like it often covers several chapters of SOTW in 1 week. Is this true, or is it the exception when it covers several chapters? Anyone?

Hi Julie!

If you go to www.biblioplan.com and take a look at their America and The World guides you can see what they will be like. I think this curriculum might be the answer to what we were discussing on the SCM board, four year cycle, biblically based and less intense than TOG (and much less expensive!).:hurray:

This link is not correct. It is .net instead of .com. Biblioplan

Jan

Thank you so much! I hadn't looked at anything other than the Ancients, so I hadn't noticed the other components.

My only hesitancy with BP is that it looks like it often covers several chapters of SOTW in 1 week. Is this true, or is it the exception when it covers several chapters? Anyone?

I have the guide for ancients. There are several weeks that you cover more than one chapter of Story of the World and many weeks where you don't use Story of the World at all.

Jan

Aside from the price tag? They both look like great curriculums but TOG seems like so much..........more. I've been reading all the threads I can find on both and I'm still having a hard time deciding. TOG seems like a lot more work, is it necessary? How is Biblioplan for dialectic and rhetoric stages? Do you think your dc would get the same depth of education with either choice? The many hands on projects in the lower levels and the thinking/discussion questions in the upper levels are what appeal to me with TOG. How hard would that be to add to Biblioplan?

Thanks so much in advance!! I know similar questions have been asked before, but someone please push me over the edge one way or the other:D!!

Tapestry IS so so much more!!

I'm wondering why the TOG fans haven't jumped in yet! I don't have much time to answer this post, but I feel like I must. I do have both BiblioPlan and TOG and there is no comparison.

BiblioPlan is more like a book list/schedule. Unless they've changed in the last year or so, mine gives no help on how to teach history in the context of world view. Tapestry is a gold mine of information and help. Each book and historical event is placed and discussed within the current prevailing world view of the author and of the times. The 'why' behind actions during different times becomes so clear. This applies to art history, philosophy, literature periods, governments. For a minor example, my kids were to read 'Call of the Wild' this year. Tapestry discusses Jack London's world view, the prevailing world view of the time and how this affected his writing. (Call of the Wild is a brutal piece of literature! It is not just a dog story. In the end I didn't have them read it as I didn't think they were ready to take on that much brutality and world view discussion. I'll wait another year or two.) It all became so clear to me. And understanding this, it easily follows why the western world began making the decisions they did at the time. This kind of analysis is done with political events, art history, philosopy (need I repeat myself?). Tapestry is a program which truly educates. BiblioPlan is just a bunch of books with no insite given. Tapestry is actually more info than I can handle, (we can't do it all, and my kids are still a little too young to get into such depth), but to do it right when they are older, Tapestry is the way to go.

Now, your kids are young, and BiblioPlan is probably just fine. But when they are older, Tapestry all the way.

1. cost

2. prefer to do literature ala WTM instead of worksheets

3. too many books to choose from...I need a narrower list:0)...too hard to get so much from the library, we often didn't get them in time to use them

4. OVERWHELMING teacher notes. I like a little help, but whew! BiblioPlan has a parent enrichment guide that is much more user friendly and doable for me

5. too much stuff to copy..I know that sounds ridiculous, but it did factor in my decision

I tried one unit of TOG redesign year 2. We are halfway through BiblioPlan modern and have done more history this year than ever before, with very little effort on my part.

1. cost

2. prefer to do literature ala WTM instead of worksheets

3. too many books to choose from...I need a narrower list:0)...too hard to get so much from the library, we often didn't get them in time to use them

4. OVERWHELMING teacher notes. I like a little help, but whew! BiblioPlan has a parent enrichment guide that is much more user friendly and doable for me

5. too much stuff to copy..I know that sounds ridiculous, but it did factor in my decision

I tried one unit of TOG redesign year 2. We are halfway through BiblioPlan modern and have done more history this year than ever before, with very little effort on my part.

Very helpful! Thank you!

That was NOT her question. ;)

That's ok. TOG'ers are welcome to respond! The reason I didn't ask them was because I could clearly see why they chose TOG. I think what I was hoping for was someone to respond and say, "Sure, I use Biblioplan, add a couple things and VOILA!- it's just like TOG only less expensive!!":lol:

I've been given a lot to think about. I guess my mind is not completely made up yet. Cost is a big factor.

Again, thank you so much for all the replies!!!

ok - i downloaded the tog 1 DE sample and started looking at it and I am super impressed. I wasn't as impressed with biblioplan....it looks just like a book list divided up to me. I was 2 seconds from buying it because of the price.... but to ME it is a guide vs a complete program. Does that make sense?

ok - i downloaded the tog 1 DE sample and started looking at it and I am super impressed. I wasn't as impressed with biblioplan....it looks just like a book list divided up to me. I was 2 seconds from buying it because of the price.... but to ME it is a guide vs a complete program. Does that make sense?

That TOTALLY makes sense!! I went back to the Biblioplan site and read through all their samples of the Parent Companion e-books and while they have interesting tidbits of info, that's all they are--random tidbits! I am now REALLY leaning toward finding a way to afford TOG. I'm finding that with every other thing I look at I think, "Yes, this is nice but it's no TOG!";)

My only other concern with TOG is that although the DE edition is the most affordable and convenient way to go, my computer skills are minimal. I would hate to pay 150.00 and then get a virus or something and lose it all:w00t:!!!

I'm still playing with the DE version. I wish I could resell it - but then I was thinking that in 4 years I would be using it again with DD. I think you can get it on CD so you wouldn't lose it if your computer crashes!! :)

I do suggest downloading it and playing with it. I am finding things that they say "don't work" DO work (my printer does auto-duplex and it DOES print that way).

I like the planning aspect of it as well - you work WITH your child on how he/she will plan their day.

I'm still playing with printing and setting up. I'm looking to start now..... and then maybe work into part of the summer.... I"m not sure yet. BUT - I do like the color coded pages!! ;)

Guest aquiverfull
That TOTALLY makes sense!! I went back to the Biblioplan site and read through all their samples of the Parent Companion e-books and while they have interesting tidbits of info, that's all they are--random tidbits! I am now REALLY leaning toward finding a way to afford TOG. I'm finding that with every other thing I look at I think, "Yes, this is nice but it's no TOG!";)

My only other concern with TOG is that although the DE edition is the most affordable and convenient way to go, my computer skills are minimal. I would hate to pay 150.00 and then get a virus or something and lose it all:w00t:!!!

I have felt the exact same way. I keep drooling over TOG. It could help with combining all my kids. It looks like everything I want and more. But the cost is stopping me. I really don't think I can afford it. I would have to buy the books, I've already checked my local libraries and they have almost NONE of the books used in TOG.

You also addressed another of my biggest fears with TOG... I just bought a new computer, but in the past my computer experiences have been horrible. There were so many times I had to reformat that it wasn't even funny. I often wondered what would happen if you lose the DE. I know they have a CD option, but what if that gets scratched, ruined too, etc. I'm probably needlessly worrying, but that one thing has kept me from buying TOG.

Guest aquiverfull
Could you get a print version used?

That's an excellent idea. :) I often forget about buying used. If I decide to go that route that would be the way to go. Print would be the best way for me, since I still have 3 dds to school eventually and it will need to last for many years. :)

Thanks!

I *think* that if you had any computer trouble they would fix you up and let you download again with out a problem. TOG obviously isn't for everyone but I wouldn't let computer worries be even a little bit of a factor in using it. I have watched their forum for awhile and it seems any time someone has a concern (moving, computer crash, more than one computer in home) they have an answer. :001_smile:

Cheryl,

Another very easy thing that you could do is to just use SOTW and the Activity Guide. I'm recommending this because it looks like the age of your school age kids are young: 6yrs. & 5 yrs. Is that correct? Pick 5 or 6 longer books to read aloud to your children during the year and keep your book basket stocked with books listed in the Activity guide. You could do a coloring page once a week and an activity or mapwork once a week along with the readings. Keep an encyclopedia handy so you can supplement the reading material with some nice pictures--maybe the Usborne Illustrated Internet Linked Encyclopedia for younger children.

I am not at all trying to discourage you from TOG. I have never used it, but it's obvious that TOG is an excellent curriculum. But . . . many people do say that it takes a good bit of effort to use. Young children will not need many of the offerings of TOG. Just something to think about. :)

I am not at all trying to discourage you from TOG. I have never used it, but it's obvious that TOG is an excellent curriculum. But . . . many people do say that it takes a good bit of effort to use. Young children will not need many of the offerings of TOG. Just something to think about. :)

:iagree: I'm saving it for when my children are older. I think the "more" discussed earlier in this thread will be perfect much later!

Cheryl,

Another very easy thing that you could do is to just use SOTW and the Activity Guide. I'm recommending this because it looks like the age of your school age kids are young: 6yrs. & 5 yrs. Is that correct? Pick 5 or 6 longer books to read aloud to your children during the year and keep your book basket stocked with books listed in the Activity guide. You could do a coloring page once a week and an activity or mapwork once a week along with the readings. Keep an encyclopedia handy so you can supplement the reading material with some nice pictures--maybe the Usborne Illustrated Internet Linked Encyclopedia for younger children.

Thank you, Angela. That is something I have considered. I still may do something like that. I would have to add something more than just SOTW, like Truthquest or MOH to get the biblical worldview that I want. Yes, my kids are young, they will be 7 and 6 in July. My thoughts on using TOG at this young age (KNOWING I won't use it ALL) is that I could get familar with it and be comfortable using it and then when my little guys are ready to start their first history rotation, my biggers will be on their second and I would be an old pro!!(well, maybe just OLD :lol:)

I have a lot to think and pray about!! I'll see what dh thinks too.

Bless you all for taking the time to answer!! You are AWESOME!!!

Thank you, Angela. That is something I have considered. I still may do something like that. I would have to add something more than just SOTW, like Truthquest or MOH to get the biblical worldview that I want. Yes, my kids are young, they will be 7 and 6 in July. My thoughts on using TOG at this young age (KNOWING I won't use it ALL) is that I could get familar with it and be comfortable using it and then when my little guys are ready to start their first history rotation, my biggers will be on their second and I would be an old pro!!(well, maybe just OLD :lol:)

I have a lot to think and pray about!! I'll see what dh thinks too.

Bless you all for taking the time to answer!! You are AWESOME!!!

Somewhere there is a schedule that schedules the Egermeier's (or however you spell that) Bible with the SOTW chapters. That would add the Biblical content.

"My thoughts on using TOG at this young age (KNOWING I won't use it ALL) is that I could get familar with it and be comfortable using it and then when my little guys are ready to start their first history"

I totally get that. There are a few things that I've used consistently over the years and I love knowing the materials inside and out. Best wishes to you as you choose your path for next year.

Edited by Pylegang
quote not clear

My thoughts on using TOG at this young age (KNOWING I won't use it ALL) is that I could get familar with it and be comfortable using it and then when my little guys are ready to start their first history rotation, my biggers will be on their second and I would be an old pro!!(well, maybe just OLD :lol:)

This is exactly how you should use TOG! Get SOTW add in some books from the list and then educate yourself! Prepare for the future, allow yourself to interact with the Great Books and allow yourself time to see how a Biblical worldview fits into all these subjects!

With TOG I have learned so much about history, worldview, and how to teach my children to be responsible for thier work and time. I have stopped searching for the "perfect curriculum". I don't need to, I can use my time to preparre to teach my children. I have been on these boards for over 8 years but rarely post anymore, why? I used to spend all my free time researching, trying to find my perfect xyz program that was going to make my children into superstars. I loved research, but teaching... some days I forgot that I had to really teach this stuff not just fill my shelves with the latest and greatest.

TOG has helped me to focus on the teaching, and digging deeper. As I prepare for teaching high school next year, I wish I was better prepared. I wish I had spend some of that time preparing myself for these years. I am glad I will have 4 more children to teach and as each one grows, I will be better prepared to teach them.

This year we had a miscarriage, have just moved in with family and are renovating our space and TOG is just sitting there waiting for us. No matter what we do in the future, I always want my TOG it is a great curriculum and a great reference tool as well.

Go with your gut, choose the best tools for you. A well- prepared, confident teacher can teach beyond any curriculum.

With TOG I have learned so much about history, worldview, and how to teach my children to be responsible for thier work and time. I have stopped searching for the "perfect curriculum". I don't need to, I can use my time to preparre to teach my children. I have been on these boards for over 8 years but rarely post anymore, why? I used to spend all my free time researching, trying to find my perfect xyz program that was going to make my children into superstars. I loved research, but teaching... some days I forgot that I had to really teach this stuff not just fill my shelves with the latest and greatest.

TOG has helped me to focus on the teaching, and digging deeper. As I prepare for teaching high school next year, I wish I was better prepared. I wish I had spend some of that time preparing myself for these years. I am glad I will have 4 more children to teach and as each one grows, I will be better prepared to teach them.

Go with your gut, choose the best tools for you. A well- prepared, confident teacher can teach beyond any curriculum.

I love what you said here.

Ok - from what I downloaded and printed (I bought Unit 1 because I figured I can spend the $45 and SEE/PLAY/TOUCH/DECIDE - instead of the entire thing) my new favorite part is the weekly readings where it lists the dewy # for library look up! Yesterday after I did this I was able to reserve most all the books I don't already have to pick up - plus I added in some videos based on my library's recommendations (I like my library :) )

I also like that it tells me how many weeks I will need the book - so I can plan accordingly. This is actually very helpful.

DOWNLOAD AND PLAY! I honestly was terrified of this curriculum 3 years ago when I saw it because it looked like SOOO MUCH ;) Now though, I see HOW it can work and how silly it was of me to be scared because it looked big.

I used Biblioplan years ago, and it worked fine for our needs then, but I switched to TOG when my oldest was in 5th. And even now, with my oldest in 7th, we still cut out a lot of Tapestry's suggestions.

I haven't looked at Biblioplan for a long time, and even when I did use it, I was only paying attention to grammar-level, but my impression was that TOG has much more to offer for the older student.

FOR ME, no matter how much I tell myself I'm going to add in extra books and activities, come February, I'm not doing it anymore. It's much easier, I think, to cut stuff out than to add stuff in. Also, as much as I love to research, my life is different now. I'm busy teaching algebra and logic and dissecting frogs. My evenings are spent driving people to soccer and baseball and piano and guitar. I still have plenty of stuff to research for homeschool, now I know history and literature are taken care of.

That's why I'm sticking with Tapestry. There's so much there, I know my kids are doing plenty. And, I'm very comfortable with TOG now, so when we get to the rhetoric stage, I won't be worried about figuring out TOG AND trying to teach rhetoric stage.

As for the cost, you could argue that I cut out so much of TOG that it's not cost effective. But, I have one more year plan to buy, then I'm done buying TOG year plans forever. And my youngest will only be in 3rd, so I still have lots of years of use ahead of me.

Just my two cents. The perfect curriculum is one that you're comfortable with and will use. :D That's going to be different for all of us.

Here is my hold-out on just choosing TOG over BP:

I can't use my library to get books, so I have to purchase all of my books and if what I have researched is correct I would need a TON more books for TOG than I do for BP. To me, it looks like BP uses longer chapter books therefore resulting in fewer books. To me, it also looks like TOG uses a lot of short picture books in the early years resulting in more expense.

What do you all think of my observations?

Guest aquiverfull

Well since I adore the idea of TOG. I did some more research last night and this morning. It looks like TOG just won't work for me because of the cost. I looked at my online library system. This is a network of about 7 local libraries. I was looking at yr 1 and 2. In year one I mainly just added up the D level books. My library didn't have 26 of them. To buy them new it would cost me $324.95. That is not including the year plan that is just the books my library didn't have.

So then I looked at yr 2. At that point I'd have a 1st grader, a K'er, and a 7th grader. So I looked at both LG, and D levels. It would cost me $464.71 for the D level books my library system didn't have and $302.23 for the LG level books my library didn't have. That's $766.94 ! OUCH! That does not include the year plans, map aids, etc. Plus I'd then have to buy Math, Science, and LAs for those 3 children.

I seriously don't think I can afford TOG, although it looks so wonderful!

So if you have a good library it might work for you. Is your library online? That may be a way you can see about how much it would cost you.

I can see where you are coming from Julie as I am looking at it. BUT - it looks like you can cut a lot out and still teach A TON! It show that you will need something for a certain # of weeks - so that gives you an idea. You can also go and get a list from TOG's website and it will give you can idea. Some of the Alternate books SEEM to be longer (but that might be me).....

I'm still browsing (and getting lost in it - but in a good way).....I think it depends on the level you are doing. We are going to start Upper Grammar & Dialectic next week. Some of it - I can or will replace with things such as videos (we'll cover archeology with Bill Nye the Science Guy).... I'm also looking to see if any of the books are downloadable through Librivox or even our library as audio books. Some I noticed are on kindle - which is good as both my kids are totally spoiled and have iPod Touches which can handle Kindle books for free.

"It looks like TOG just won't work for me because of the cost. I looked at my online library system. This is a network of about 7 local libraries. I was looking at yr 1 and 2. In year one I mainly just added up the D level books. My library didn't have 26 of them. To buy them new it would cost me $324.95. "

It is my impression that you don't use all of the books suggested in TOG. It is more like a big buffet where you pick and choose what you would like to use. Maybe you could just buy reference-type books that you'll use over and over and a few "must-haves" for your bookshelf.

I just recently figured this out so I will add my .02 (no pun intended) on the cost issue. I figured based on choosing either a lg or ug history (only core) and bunching together, skipping lg lit unless I could get it at library, buying most ug lit for year 1 since library carries almost none of it and my library carries most lit for other years so buying books that really looked enjoyable for my own library (about half -maybe more). I bought an activity book to share for ug and lg and no worldview beyond Bible. D level I bought worldview, same lit as above (all year 1 - pick and choose others) and history core - no in depth. R level basically same as above plus government and philosophy and in depth history. All 4 year plans DE and map aids and writing aids.

Grand Total $4000.00 Yikes! But then I thought divided by 4 kids divided by 12 years = $83 / year / kid for history and worldview that you just cannot get anywhere else, lit, fine arts and writing. Wow - not bad. This is by the way with a very poor library.

This is my number and someone with one kid would spend a lot less over all but a lot more per child. Someone with ten kids would spend about the same which would make it even more cost effective. I sincerely hope this helps someone with their decision.

Edited by TracyP

Guest aquiverfull

Thanks for your input Tracy. I guess when you figure in how much it will equal spread over the years it's not really too bad. However, I just don't know that I could afford that much each year. I usually use our tax return for buying homeschool. I don't think I could spread the cost throughout the year because it seems there's very little $$ left over after bills, food, etc every month.

Angela- I think you are correct. However, it was my understanding that when you substitute books you will not be able to use the literature worksheets, etc. Also I read a post recently that said if you don't do the core reading and the in-depth books, you will have a problem in using the discussion questions because they are answered in those books. Here's that thread, in case anyone's interested:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153526 Look at Melissa in CA and momee's posts, they specifically discuss this issue on page 2.

I may not be completely right about this but I believe the books listed on book shelf central are those that are core readings and in-depth books. I know I could skip some of the activity books and would most likely do so. Also I've been told that it's easier to substitute a history selection than a literature one, because again if you want to do the literature worksheets you have to read that specific book. I don't know, I keep thinking if I'm going to pay $225 for printed year plans (this is brand new, it would be cheaper if I found them used) I would want to use most of it. I just can't see paying that much and then not using a lot of it, ya know what I mean?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, opinions, ways I can make it work. It really does look good, and I haven't completely given up on the idea of using it. Just not sure if I can really make it work.

Edited by aquiverfull

Guest aquiverfull
I wanted to add that figuring cost on just year 1 is not a fair comparison because there are some spendy books that will be used for more than one year so subsequent years would be less.

I actually took that into account and didn't add those books in when figuring out year 2. There were also some overlapping books within the LG and D levels, and I took those into account also when doing my figuring. I also didn't add in books I already had here at home, although it wasn't many of them.

This week I've been working on planning credits for my firstborn's high school years. From TOG she'll get all her history & literature credits as well as many others such as fine arts, economics, government, philosophy, etc...

TOG is so much more than a reading list. It will be used for half of her high school credits! :001_smile:

p.s. You can still buy a new paper copy of TOG, which can be resold. You'll get the current edition and it can't be upgraded.

Thanks for your input Tracy. I guess when you figure in how much it will equal spread over the years it's not really too bad. However, I just don't know that I could afford that much each year. I usually use our tax return for buying homeschool. I don't think I could spread the cost throughout the year because it seems there's very little $$ left over after bills, food, etc every month.

Angela- I think you are correct. However, it was my understanding that when you substitute books you will not be able to use the literature worksheets, etc. Also I read a post recently that said if you don't do the core reading and the in-depth books, you will have a problem in using the discussion questions because they are answered in those books. Here's that thread, in case anyone's interested:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153526 Look at Melissa in CA and momee's posts, they specifically discuss this issue on page 2.

I may not be completely right about this but I believe the books listed on book shelf central are those that are core readings and in-depth books. I know I could skip some of the activity books and would most likely do so. Also I've been told that it's easier to substitute a history selection than a literature one, because again if you want to do the literature worksheets you have to read that specific book. I don't know, I keep thinking if I'm going to pay $225 for printed year plans (this is brand new, it would be cheaper if I found them used) I would want to use most of it. I just can't see paying that much and then not using a lot of it, ya know what I mean?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, opinions, ways I can make it work. It really does look good, and I haven't completely given up on the idea of using it. Just not sure if I can really make it work.

Tapestry of Grace is a unit study. You are learning a new topic each week. You don't have to use all of the books on the list, you do need to cover the topic of study each week. I have 5 children and next year we will be in all levels. I will NOT be purchasing books for all of them.

SOTW will suffice for the youngers with picture books added in as are available. At the lower levels, it is really no different in our house than choosing what books we will use from the SOTW activity guide...I never see anyone complaining that there are too many books to choose from in the activity guide. Because no one buys all those books, you dig deeper when your child has interest. You can use TOG the same way.

For the older children, I always have a spine (ala WTM) and there are choices in TOG for them. I add in the books I want to use and then we go to town on the resources. Sometimes we won't be able to answer a question so...we skip it or we go online and find the answer. I gives us a chance to think, dig deeper and discuss. Sometimes the answers in life are not at your fingertips, also a good lesson for my children.

Yes, the literature for the D and R need to be the literature books used, this is a given. No lit program works if you don't read the book that is used in the guide.

TOG is not just one thing , it is many faceted and can be used in many ways. The redesigned TOG is very user friendly, but I think people tend to look at it as a booklist. The classic gave several books to choose from and you picked what you could find, the redesign seems less forgiving in book choices, but really it isn't. Most questions for history are general information, and really you don't need to do all of anything in TOG. Much like WTM, you need to choose what you will study.

Remember, YOU are the teacher, YOU control the curriculum, it does not control you. TOG is great, it is a buffet, choose your dishes and enjoy! But remember, my plate will look different from yours, and we will both be very well nourished.