Menu

When to stop phonics lessons?

AngieC

My daughter has been through K-2 of Hooked on Phonics and can currently read level 1/2 readers (Little Bear, Henry & Mudge) pretty fluently 30+ wpm) with 1 word per page max that she doesn't know.

Do I need to keep teaching phonics or just have her keep reading and assume that more advanced reading will come on it's own? She's pretty young and I have no intention of pushing her, but I also want to give her the skills to be a successful reader.

What program would work for me at this level?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, you need to continue phonics. Or alternatively you could move into a rules based spelling program, like Spell to Write and Read or All About Spelling. But the bottom line is that she does need to learn all the sound-symbol correspondences and rules. She might pick them up on her own, and you can even take a break for a year and just have her read, but at some point you need a more systematic approach to phonics or spelling.

My dd picked up phonics and reading easily. We used The Reading Lesson with her when she was 4.5 to 5.5 years old, which brought her to a second grade reading level upon completion. After that we just read, read, read. She read through a lot of Dr. Seuss books, then the Little Bear, Frog and Toad, Poppleton, Amanda Pig, Mr. Putter and Tabby-type readers, then more advanced picture books, children's novels like Milly, Molly, Mandy and Charlotte's Web. I never saw the need to continue with phonics when she could read fluently. She has progressed nicely, and every year reads on a more advanced level.

We did use All About Spelling for spelling, but I believe we could have used any spelling program and just continued reading and she would have picked up just as much.

I just don't see any reason to continue a formal phonics program once a child is reading well. I think real books are better at that point. I'm using the same Phonics book with ds, and he should be finished with it at the end of kindergarten (when he will be 6.5). After he finishs it I am confident that he will be able to just start reading.

Yes, you need to continue phonics. Or alternatively you could move into a rules based spelling program, like Spell to Write and Read or All About Spelling. But the bottom line is that she does need to learn all the sound-symbol correspondences and rules. She might pick them up on her own, and you can even take a break for a year and just have her read, but at some point you need a more systematic approach to phonics or spelling.

What programs could I use that would continue advanced phonics? Also, are there any spelling programs a little less hands on than AAS or SWR? (Actually, I think I'm thinking of SSRW? Is SWR pretty easy to use?)

I think you could possibly let it rest a year or so and see how it goes. I'd continue having her read aloud to you so that you can see her progress, and so you can fill in gaps for more difficult phonograms that she might not have learned yet. Then you could pick up with a phonics-based spelling program if you wanted, and that would fill in any gaps she might still have. I like All About Spelling because it teaches phonograms, rules, syllables etc... I've also liked using the Webster's 1824 Blue Backed Speller for reading practice for the extra syllable work (and you can get that free online too).

Sounds like your dd is doing great! Merry :-)

Merry :-)

I would probably just go through the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. Or you could do something like use the ABeCeDarian placement test and use that. Elizabeth's phonics lessons and the Webster's speller also are a good choice.

Most rule based spelling programs are pretty teacher involved. Not sure how easy to use Spell to Write and Read is. It's not a hand the kid a workbook program, but it's doable.

My dd picked up phonics and reading easily. We used The Reading Lesson with her when she was 4.5 to 5.5 years old, which brought her to a second grade reading level upon completion. After that we just read, read, read. She read through a lot of Dr. Seuss books, then the Little Bear, Frog and Toad, Poppleton, Amanda Pig, Mr. Putter and Tabby-type readers, then more advanced picture books, children's novels like Milly, Molly, Mandy and Charlotte's Web. I never saw the need to continue with phonics when she could read fluently. She has progressed nicely, and every year reads on a more advanced level.

We did use All About Spelling for spelling, but I believe we could have used any spelling program and just continued reading and she would have picked up just as much.

I just don't see any reason to continue a formal phonics program once a child is reading well. I think real books are better at that point. I'm using the same Phonics book with ds, and he should be finished with it at the end of kindergarten (when he will be 6.5). After he finishs it I am confident that he will be able to just start reading.

:iagree:

Once my boys are reading fluently, I drop formal phonics.

That's about the same level my DS6 is at, and I plan to have him continue through the rest of the Explode the Code books (he's on 4 now).

:iagree: My dd is 7yo and is reading on a 4th grade level. She's 1st grade and I still have her working through the ETC books. I hope that they are filling in any gaps she may have.

Personally, I have found that the Explode the Code series does a great job laying a foundation of spelling skills in addition to the reading skills. So, with my youngest (who benefits from my trials and errors with the first two), I had her go through ETC6 before ending official phonics with her. By that point, she can read just about anything (maybe 5th/6th grade reading level officially, but she was reading KJ Bible verses today in the poetry book). I probably would have done the last 2 ETC books as well if I had happened to have already ordered them, but she is reading and spelling so well that I just had her "end" with ETC6. If I had any future dc, I'd take them through ETC6 at least, possibly ETC8.

Given the reading level you describe, I'd pick up ETC now (I don't know which level to start with, but it's cheap enough maybe go ahead and start at an easy level and just go fast. . .) and do it through 6 or 8. . . If her handwriting is fast/efficient, she could easily do a book in a month or two, and just slow down when/if they become more challenging.

I'm also an ETC fan. We're working on book 3 now. It's definitely under DD's reading level, but I'm hoping it will help fill in any gaps she has. I'm thinking we'll finish book 3 this year (preschool) and do 4-6 for kindergarten. For first grade, we'll probably start AAS. At least, that's the current plan. ETC is quick and easy and my new five year old can read the directions and do it by herself.

Webster's Speller is my favorite, it teaches phonics to a 12th grade level. My link below explains a bit how to use it, also this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70153

Phonics Pathways or OPG also teach to a 4th grade level and could be a good follow on if you don't feel comfortable with trying to figure out the Speller.

I think it's good to review phonics yearly for 2 to 3 years after they are reading fairly well, you can do a quick review with Blend Phonics easily, it's set up well for review, you can do a few words from each section, and more if necessary.

My how to tutor page also has some ideas for syllable division and some spelling that might be helpful.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've looked at Websters Speller before, but I'm not sure I'm up to that!

I think I'll keep thinking about this, but I'm leaning towards Phonics Pathways, OPG or some ETC books. I think 5 might be a little easy, but that might be a good place to start. I wish I could see some of this stuff in person! (Actually, our local B&N carries both PP & OPG, but I've never done more than glance at them. It's only the ETC stuff that I'm having a hard time finding locally.)