Menu

If YOU were going to specialize in one area of study what would it be?

If YOU were to specialize in one area of study, what would it be?  

1. 1. If YOU were to specialize in one area of study, what would it be?

• Mathematics
    • Science
    • History
    • Literature
    • Grammar
    • Art or Music
    • Foreign Language
    • Other

If YOU were going to specialize in one area of study (or have already specialized in one area) what would it be?

ETA: and if you wouldn't mind sharing specifically what area of the listed areas you would (or have) specialized in (ie. American History, French, Physics, etc.), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Edited by Luanne
forgot something

If YOU were going to specialize in one area of study (or have already specialized in one area) what would it be?

ETA: and if you wouldn't mind sharing specifically what area of the listed areas you would (or have) specialized in (ie. American History, French, Physics, etc.), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Do you mean us, personally? Or do you mean in our homeschool?

For our homeschool, no.

For me, I have a Literature degree. I had nearly enough history credits for a minor in history.

I have a MA in Comparative Literature and in Italianistics (Italian language & Italian literature, which I studied from a native perspective, not as a foreign language), and before that I graduated from a school which teaches its students classical philology and literature (both Latin and Greek) to a higher extent than most undergraduate programs for classics.

Formal schooling aside, Philosophy too and specific periods in History.

I have an MS in Mathematics (pure, not applied). Although I also have a BS in Math, I think it is noteworthy that I attended a Liberal Arts College for undergrad, studying literature, philosophy, art history, etc.

Although I studied Latin in high school and German in college, I regret not studying abroad to focus on mastering another language.

If you had asked this question eight years ago, I would have told you that once my son is out the door I plan on studying music theory at the nearby university. Since then, my piano lessons have gone by the wayside. Perhaps I'll dust off the piano in the years ahead...

I have a B.A. in Spanish Education. If I hadn't had to worry about money when I was in college, I would have minored in French and German as well.

Really, I probably would love to learn just about any language, provided I had the time to concentrate on it and good materials to learn from. I don't expect perfection.

Spanish is really the only thing I "teach" here. And even though I'm a certified teacher, I still make mistakes and am really glad I have the Teacher's Edition to each Spanish textbook we use.

I can help a little in French, I guess, but always defer to my children if we disagree, and certainly to dh (a native speaker).

I really and truly love foreign language, however modest my achievements in that area may be.

My MA is in linguistics and I have a minor in Spanish. I suppose I have about a minor's worth of ASL/Deaf Culture classes too, but I took those at a community college after finishing my masters. I'm not sure if I could transfer those to a University and get a minor out of them or not.

Right now I'm taking a course on computer programming and I hope to take a few more of those. Once I feel I've learned enough about that, I'm not sure what I'll study. I don't plan to stop taking classes any time soon. There is too much to learn, and without signing up for a class, it is more difficult for me to stay dedicated to taking the time out to study anything on a regular basis.

If I could study anything, meaning I had no financial responsibilities or time commitments, I would either pursue a masters in Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution or study a few languages abroad, or both.:tongue_smilie:

Too many choices not enough time. I have a BS in Engineering, but half way through college I wished I could have changed to Poli Sci. Finished my engineering because Uncle Sam was paying for it. Started loving history as a young adult and more so since discovering WTM. I really do like math (just haven't used a lot since I started as a SAHM) - I enjoy reviewing it as my kids get older. Anyway, who knows what I'll feel like specializing once my kids have flown the coup - maybe I'll finally learn how to play my ukelele well.;)

I would say literature. But, it would be children's lit. I have a BS in education and always wanted to go back to school to get my masters in library science. I wanted to be a children's librarian, but I got married and had my own kids before I got a chance to do that. No regrets of course!