Menu

Netflix question: Only for cable modems or faster?

After learning that Netflix will soon be streaming to the Wii, I started to wonder whether or not it would be possible to use their streaming service through our feeble satellite internet connection. Apparently not, since this article indicates the data rate averages 2000Kbps while our service provides only up to 1000Kbps. It also appears that many DSL connections are insufficient, as many of those are limited to 750 or 1500Kbps. (Although some DSL speeds apparently go as high as 9000Kbps.)

So here's a question for those of you who stream Netflix movies: What type of internet connection do you have? What is the speed of your connection? TIA!

Edited by RegGuheert

We have a cable broadband connection. We were looking into switching to DSL to save money, but after researching streaming video (ie. Netflix), we learned the best quality will be through broadband speeds. We kept our broadband, and we stream from Netflix daily. So far, things have been smooth; we're loving it!

We stream from a laptop through an HDMI cord to the tv. I just checked our acct (with AT&T) and it says that our downstream speed is "up to 6.0 Mbps" and our upstream speed is "up to 768 kbps". That is the Elite pkg, and I don't think they offer a faster one than that.

Ok. I don't really know what that means, but we have never had a problem with streaming to the computer and since that cord just basically brings my computer screen to the tv, its been fantastic; very little wait time (I mean, seconds) for it to load.

Does that help?

Oh, and thank you, RegGuheert, for keeping all these threads so organized with the tags - we recently ditched cable in favor of streaming (and saving tons of $!) and all the info has been extremely helpful! And now I'm seriously looking at the Roku.

We have DSL here. We pay for the cheaper version of DSL that is supposed to be slower. Not sure what the stats are but when I test my connection at speedtest.net it says I average 2.88 Mbps. We have been streaming Netflix on my computer for over a year with no problems at all. HOWEVER, my husbands computer which is on the same internet connection cannot stream netflix because of his memory and/or processor speed. So apparently you need to take into consideration the stats on your actual computer as well. But like I said netflix works great on my computer with DSL

HOWEVER, my husbands computer which is on the same internet connection cannot stream netflix because of his memory and/or processor speed. So apparently you need to take into consideration the stats on your actual computer as well. But like I said netflix works great on my computer with DSL
Good point! No problem with that here, as we have a SlingBox HD which we use to sling HD around the house at about 8 Mbps without much trouble.

Thanks to everyone for the information! It seems clear that you are all set up with cable or fast (>2.5 Mbps) DSL to be able to steam from Netflix. No one has indicated they can do it with 1.0 Mbps, so I'm pretty sure it would be a no-go for us. Just as well...

Oh, and thank you, RegGuheert, for keeping all these threads so organized with the tags - we recently ditched cable in favor of streaming (and saving tons of $!) and all the info has been extremely helpful! And now I'm seriously looking at the Roku.
You are very welcome, Laura! I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one using the tags! :001_smile:

So apparently you need to take into consideration the stats on your actual computer as well. But like I said netflix works great on my computer with DSL

:iagree:This is very true! I have an old laptop that can't run netflix because they don't support the video card.