Menu

Which kitchenaid would you buy

I can get a 5qt Artisan for $242 or a 6qt Pro for $283.

I used to make bread which I don't do anymore, mostly just cake mixes or chocolate chip cookies. I will occasionally make a batch of pizza crust dough.

Which do you recommend?

I recently sold a Bosch mixer because it was a pain to use when making cakes because of the center post. They don't make the smaller Bosch Compact anymore so I think I'd like to go back to a KA. I had a KA before my bosch (an artisan) and it always worked well, sometimes I wished it was bigger but that was usually only once a year that I'd think that.

Anyway, what says the hive?

For myself, I'd by the larger one. I don't often make bread, etc - but I do occasionally, and to try to do it with the smaller one would be a little annoying (probably so much so that I wouldn't do it again, whereas I might do ti more often if I had a good experience with the larger one). I jsut like to keep my options open.

I chose other. Buy the biggest and most powerful you can afford. I say this because while you don't do bread now, you MAY in a few years. Why buy twice? Costco has great deals on high capacity high performance models. Additionally, the KitchenAid website is a great source for refurbs and often runs specials on new ones as well. I've had great service from KA directly (I know others have had bad service; not me, though. They've bent over backwards for me.)

I chose other. Buy the biggest and most powerful you can afford. I say this because while you don't do bread now, you MAY in a few years. Why buy twice?

I just bought the Pro 600 for this reason. I expect this thing to last a long time, and who knows what I'll want it to do in a few years? That was my reasoning.

Where are you finding it for $283? Is that before or after the rebate? If you desperately want the white, you can find it here for $295 after the rebate, and it comes with a pink (breast cancer promo) mixer cover (that I thought I wouldn't use but actually like a lot).

I just bought the Pro 600 for this reason. I expect this thing to last a long time, and who knows what I'll want it to do in a few years? That was my reasoning.

Where are you finding it for $283? Is that before or after the rebate? If you desperately want the white, you can find it here for $295 after the rebate, and it comes with a pink (breast cancer promo) mixer cover (that I thought I wouldn't use but actually like a lot).

The $283 was at Amazon after the rebate price. I like that the other place has the white. I wish they had other options for covers, I really dislike the color pink.

I chose other. Buy the biggest and most powerful you can afford. I say this because while you don't do bread now, you MAY in a few years. Why buy twice? Costco has great deals on high capacity high performance models. Additionally, the KitchenAid website is a great source for refurbs and often runs specials on new ones as well. I've had great service from KA directly (I know others have had bad service; not me, though. They've bent over backwards for me.)

:iagree:I have the 6 Qt. Pro and wouldn't take anything for it. I didn't make bread when I originally got it but do now and it is just the thing I often need. I don't think you could ever have one too big or too powerful and it looks like you have found some good prices. QVC occasionally runs a good deal on one and it always comes with extras when you buy from them and sometimes Easy Pay (monthly payments no interest on debit or credit card).

I voted for the 6qt. even for cakes and cookies if you need to make a double batch it will come in handy. You don't know how much baking you will do in the future, so if you an afford it I say go for the bigger one. My KA is almost 9 yrs old, it's the 4qt. I kick myself for not getting the bigger one, I tell myself I will get a bigger one when this one dies, but how long is that going to take? lol. :001_smile::001_smile:

:iagree:

:iagree::iagree: I'm the other 'other.'

The $283 was at Amazon after the rebate price. I like that the other place has the white. I wish they had other options for covers, I really dislike the color pink.

they offer other colors, this is where I bought mine. Oh, the cover that is free is pink...maybe call and see if you can change colors.

You should have looked their last month, their deal was the pasta roller & cutter combo for free with it. I love mine. They are always offering great deals, they also have awesome prices on their stuff.

they offer other colors, this is where I bought mine. Oh, the cover that is free is pink...maybe call and see if you can change colors.

You should have looked their last month, their deal was the pasta roller & cutter combo for free with it. I love mine. They are always offering great deals, they also have awesome prices on their stuff.

Joanna,

I'm going to book mark the page. I like the idea of a cover, just not pink, maybe I could call them about it.

I was gifted with the 5qt and feel like it is plenty for my family.

Now maybe I shouldn't, but I make lots of big batches of bread dough in it with no problem. My artisan loaf dough makes 6 loaves, I do a double wheat loaf and sour dough with not problem.

I'll admit that once I did wish for a larger one baking cookies for a cookie exchange. If I remember it took two mixes to produce 24 dozen cookies. Since I couldn't bake them all at once, it really wasn't a big deal.

Get the one you want and you'll be happy.

If I remember it took two mixes to produce 24 dozen cookies. Since I couldn't bake them all at once, it really wasn't a big deal.

(thread highjacking here)

24 dozen? I hate baking 3 dozen.lol The whole scoop put on pan, put pan in oven, let pan cool, and do it all over again gets so old so fast. So 24 dozen that is amazing to me.:D

don't forget to check craigslist. :001_smile:

There are currently 3 in my area for $65, $75, and $224.

Thee most expensive is brandnew in factory sealed box 4.5 qt. The other two are missing bowls (which can be replaced).

Sometimes a deal makes up for the size.

I tried that and only 1 listed and it's the 5qt lift model.

I researched and researched this one. I make whole wheat bread almost daily. A 6-cup loaf in a round clay baker. I needed a workhorse. :001_smile:

When we went to Chef Central to pick it up, I brought my teen-aged son to carry it. He looked down the row of beautiful, color-coded Kitchen Aids and laughed, "Let me guess, we're getting the big, ugly grey one down on the end." :001_smile:

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=203440&CCAID=FROOGLE203440

I LOVE it!

Whole-wheat bread runs $4+ a loaf around here. I've MORE than paid for this machine, and plan to use it for many, many years to come. Love it!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

:iagree: That was my one and only cookie exchange. Lesson learned, now I'll run screaming from the room at the mere mention of one.

(thread highjacking here)

24 dozen? I hate baking 3 dozen.lol The whole scoop put on pan, put pan in oven, let pan cool, and do it all over again gets so old so fast. So 24 dozen that is amazing to me.:D

In September I bought the 5 qt. one and now I wish I'd gone larger. I make double batches of cookies and the 5 qt. is just a little too small...the cookie batter often rises to the top of the hook where it attaches to the machine, and I then have to clean both inside the hook and the top of the machine. It's such a drag. Seriously, buy the bigger one.