Menu

Does anyone else duel eggs?

I think this is a regional thing. I grew up in Baltimore County and outside of the area people look at me like I am an alien when I mention dueling eggs. My son and I each carefully select our eggs and then the fun begin. First you duel tip to tip, then butt to butt, and then winner to winner unless one egg already broke both ends of the other egg. The ultimate winning egg is proudly displayed in the frig and eating it is not allowed. Obviously these are hard cooked eggs.

We do it. It's from my side of the family. I grew up doing it at my Grandparents house every Easter. We are doing our eggs tomorrow. On Sunday we will head over to my parents house and have egg fights! My Grandma lives there now (my Grandfather passed away) and it's her favorite holiday. I introduce egg fights to people whenever we can.

Do you know where Careny is? I could walk to the Mighty Fine Snowball stand on Joppa Road from my house.

Yep. I lived in Parkville and Timonium. Dh grew up in Parkville. Do you know where Maria's on Taylor Ave is? They have the world's best cheese steak subs and french fries! I miss snowball stands - I've never seen one in NC. :chillpill:

. I think it's originally Eastern European though.

We've done the egg thing for YEARS. My great grandparents are from Greece and swore up and down it was a Greek thing.

My grandfather is always the winner and the great grandkids stand in marvel! I can't wait until Sunday!

and we LOVED Mi-T-Fine Snowballs! I know exactly where that is! AND, my mother grew up in Highlandtown, too! I remember growing up, thinking it was "Hollandtown" b/c of the way she prnounced it! Did you go to Parkville High? I went to Overlea. Back then OHS wasn't the "drug den" it is now. Very sad. Small world, huh?

We've done the egg thing for YEARS. My great grandparents are from Greece and swore up and down it was a Greek thing.

My grandfather is always the winner and the great grandkids stand in marvel! I can't wait until Sunday!

My parents grew up in an area of Baltimore, HIghlandtown, around a lot of Greeks. Now that is interesting. My parents and brother are no longer around so I can't ask them.

Yeah, I am not understanding...we don't do this. How, exactly, do you dual an egg?? Sound like something my boys (including dh) would love to do!!

As for snowcones in NC, you should try Pelican's on HWY 401, between Garner and Fuquay. YUM,YUM!! :tongue_smilie:

I graduated from Parkville in 1980. It was a great school then. I have not been in that area for 8 years of so.

I grew up in Columbia, and I remember playing Parkville in out of region games.

But I never Dueled Eggs. My parents were from Ohio. (Although my dad's mom is of German descent so I will ask her if they did this.) And I think Columbia is a place where people were from all over, most not from the region. (Well, at that time, no one's parents had grown up in Columbia because it was not founded until the late '60's.)

It is so fun to "talk" to people from Maryland.

and we LOVED Mi-T-Fine Snowballs! I know exactly where that is! AND, my mother grew up in Highlandtown, too! I remember growing up, thinking it was "Hollandtown" b/c of the way she prnounced it! Did you go to Parkville High? I went to Overlea. Back then OHS wasn't the "drug den" it is now. Very sad. Small world, huh?

My dh graduated from Parkville High in 1975. When did you graduate? I wonder if you crossed paths with dh or his siblings.

We used to duel eggs. Both of my grandparents were of German heritage. Yes, I know where Carney is. I grew up in Phoenix, near Loch Raven Reservoir. Do you know where that is?

Bonnie

Funny story about the LR Reservoir. When my oldest dd was 4, we were driving around the Reservoir and we came to the dam. DD says, "Look at the waterfall!" Dh says, "That's a dam." There was a moment of silence, then, "What's the dam waterfall for?"

We used to duel eggs. Both of my grandparents were of German heritage. Yes, I know where Carney is. I grew up in Phoenix, near Loch Raven Reservoir. Do you know where that is?

Bonnie

We spent many a happy day fishing and picnicing at Loch Raven. I also used to enjoy bike riding around the Reservoir when they closed it to traffic on Sunday.

I grew up in Columbia, and I remember playing Parkville in out of region games. It is so fun to "talk" to people from Maryland.

My Dad used to work for a landscaping company based in Woodbine, and they did the landscaping around the Columbia mall. We lived in Garrett County (175 miles west of Baltimore), so he and a couple other guys would drive down to Frederick on Sunday night and stay in a hotel all week, then drive home on Friday after work for the weekend. He did that for 18 years, until he could get a decent job close to home. We lived on a farm, so my mom and us kids had to do all the barnwork when he was away. :glare:

My dh graduated from Parkville High in 1975. When did you graduate? I wonder if you crossed paths with dh or his siblings.

I graduated in 1980. I was my class secretary. Does you husband remember Mr. Saterlie (I know I spelled this wrong) We used to say that he came with the school. My brother graduated in 1972. My maiden name was Beach.

As for snowcones in NC, you should try Pelican's on HWY 401, between Garner and Fuquay. YUM,YUM!! :tongue_smilie:

We live on the opposite side of Raleigh, so Garner and Fuquay are a hike for us. But if we happen to be down that way in the summer, I will keep Pelican's in mind! Thanks.

I graduated in 1980. I was my class secretary. Does you husband remember Mr. Saterlie (I know I spelled this wrong) We used to say that he came with the school. My brother graduated in 1972. My maiden name was Beach.

Dh isn't home right now, but I will ask him. Dh's older brother graduated in 1973 and his younger brother in 1979. Rick, Roger, and Ross Beatty.

Does you husband remember Mr. Saterlie (I know I spelled this wrong) We used to say that he came with the school.

Dh says he does remember Mr. Saterlie, but he can't remember what he looked like. Was he a math or science teacher? Dh is pulling out his yearbook to look him up. Do you remember an English teacher named Mr. English?

Funny story about the LR Reservoir. When my oldest dd was 4, we were driving around the Reservoir and we came to the dam. DD says, "Look at the waterfall!" Dh says, "That's a dam." There was a moment of silence, then, "What's the dam waterfall for?"

I have many fond memories of going to the dam (waterfall) to feed bread crumbs to the ducks as a child.

We spent many a happy day fishing and picnicing at Loch Raven. I also used to enjoy bike riding around the Reservoir when they closed it to traffic on Sunday.

I was just there last weekend visiting my parents. They live within walking distance of Loch Raven. I'm happy to report that they still close the road to traffic on the weekends! I went to high school at Dulaney.

I was just there last weekend visiting my parents. They live within walking distance of Loch Raven. I'm happy to report that they still close the road to traffic on the weekends! I went to high school at Dulaney.

When did you graduate? I have nieces who graduated from Dulaney in 1997 and 2000, I think. Their younger brother is a junior or senior at Dulaney this year.

I remember playing at Dulaney when I was on the Badminton team (no laughing allowed) Dulaney was one of the nicest schools in the county.

I would never laugh at a Badminton team -- my younger sister was on Dulaney's team (she graduated in 1991). Dulaney was a nice school; I had some great teachers while I was there.

Dh says he does remember Mr. Saterlie, but he can't remember what he looked like. Was he a math or science teacher? Dh is pulling out his yearbook to look him up. Do you remember an English teacher named Mr. English?

I had him for geometry. He was also one of our class advisors. I remember Mr. English , but I was never in his class.

Ok, this took me a while. It sounded vaguely familiar but I couldn't place it. I am still not 100% on where I have heard of it before, but I'll take a guess.

We used to live in Rochester, NY while in Grad. School. I believe that we did an Easter meal with some friends up there and that was brought out by one of them. I think we went around the table, each with an egg, and did the person next to us on the left. I think it just continued around in that fashion, somehow. GAH, the memory is fuzzy though. But, yes, I have done this!

My in-laws do this and call it 'jabbin' eggs' - it's lots of fun with the kids! I'd never heard of it before, either. They are of English descent, so the next time I visit my dh's maternal grandma, I'll have to ask a few more questions about where this tradition started.

Yep. I lived in Parkville and Timonium. Dh grew up in Parkville. Do you know where Maria's on Taylor Ave is? They have the world's best cheese steak subs and french fries! I miss snowball stands - I've never seen one in NC. :chillpill:

Oh man does this take me back. Absolutely they have the best cheese steak subs. I miss the snowball stand too. Now we go and get shave ices on the broadwalk, and they are excellent too. We can also get thrashers fries on the boardwalk, and just smelling vinegar makes me hungry for them. The boardwalk is very bad for our diets.:blush:

I think this is a regional thing. I grew up in Baltimore County and outside of the area people look at me like I am an alien when I mention dueling eggs. My son and I each carefully select our eggs and then the fun begin. First you duel tip to tip, then butt to butt, and then winner to winner unless one egg already broke both ends of the other egg. The ultimate winning egg is proudly displayed in the frig and eating it is not allowed. Obviously these are hard cooked eggs.

Yes, my dh's family does the dueling egg thing. They're in NJ, but most of their customs come from Greece. Just for Easter. all of the other holidays are Spanish.

Gretchen

Oooh, Ooooh! I know what this is! Remember in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, at Easter (or Passover, I can't remember what they called it) they had the eggs dyed red, and Tula and her dad knocked them together? That's egg dueling! It was a subtle scene, but I remember it now.

Oooh, Ooooh! I know what this is! Remember in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, at Easter (or Passover, I can't remember what they called it) they had the eggs dyed red, and Tula and her dad knocked them together? That's egg dueling! It was a subtle scene, but I remember it now.

That is so cool. Now I am going to have to watch the movie again to look for this. I mentioned somewhere in this thread that my parents grew up near a large Greek community in Baltimore and I suspected this could have been the origin of the tradition. BTW that is a great movie, and I now looking forward to getting it out of the library.