Menu

art lessons at home... what would you pay?

My 17 year old daughter is already a professional artist with several commissions under her belt. She has won several art and writing awards. We are thinking of starting a part time business for her since part time jobs are hard to get these days.

How much would you pay for an art tutor to give art lessons to your children in your own home??

I know that prices for lessons widely vary across the country. I'm just trying to get a good feel of average rates per hour for art lessons.

She's had good training and lessons herself and could easily come up with a great scope and sequence. She's already come up with several ideas for a few 6 week workshops.

We currently pay $18 for a 45 minute piano lesson. I'm thinking that art lessons might run likewise. But since she's young, I'm thinking $18 for a full hour of lessons???

Would you pay $18 an hour for art lessons in your house?

We plan on only marketing this idea to other home school families.

What say you , Hive Mind??

Thanks,

Pam

Honestly, I would probably pay about $10-12 for a lesson from a talented teenager. I'm an artist myself, but budgets are tight. Art supplies themselves can cost a pretty penny:)

Then again, I'm really "out of the loop" on what a reasonable asking price would be. I'm speaking only in what I, personally, would be willing to pay.

At her age, I asked about $50 / hr. for painting portraits, however. (I always stated the price before I started the project; I didn't charge per hour. I just knew how long I'd need to finish the portrait and gauged from there.)

HTH.

Good luck!

Guest Cindie2dds

I pay $40 an hour for both my girls every other week. She's got a degree in fine arts (physical -- not appreciation). We live about 30 minutes from the city, so she really spends about 2 hours of her time. There is an art teacher in town who charges $15 per kid for one hour, but there are up to 10 kids in her class. I think we actually get a great deal. It's not paper crafts. She teaches shading, blending colors, pastels, painting, etc. I have absolutely no art and I really want my kids to learn this well. I think it's very under appreciated in our society now.

I know I'm spoiled as my neighbor who homeschools is an artist and teaches my daughter for free. We live in a rural setting where we pay $10 a half hour for piano. The problem with art is to do a lesson well, you really need an hour and a half. For me, where I'm living, I would probably pay $15/$20 a lesson.

I would not pay that much unless I had a child who was advanced enough in art that they would benefit from advanced, private lessons.

I pay it for piano lessons (not in my home), but there are some differences.

One, group classes are available and are much less expensive. One of my dds is currently in a class of fifteen students, six classes each lasting two hours, $46 total price, all supplies included. So, it's not private, but it's $8 versus $18, and 2 hours instead of 45 minutes. The difference in price simply wouldn't be worth it for the casual/beginner student.

Two, I'm not sure that art requires the same near-constant feedback that piano lessons do. With art class, there's a certain amount of class time spent teaching, and a certain amount of time spent giving feedback and adjusting technique, but usually there's also a good amount of time where the students are working independently; that's why group classes work so well - the teacher can circulate and help as needed during that time. That's my view as a complete non-artist, though!

I think your dd would get off to a better start with small group lessons, especially because she has proved herself as an ARTIST, but not as a teacher. Once she has a rep as a good teacher, it will be easier to build private clients. There are lots of potential markets, and some of them will even provide space for her: home school groups and co-ops, private schools, parks and recreation department. Our old preschool paid a music teacher to come in once a week, and a local high school has an agreement with a gymnastics studio to provide PE classes.

Also, I would worry about a young girl going into people's houses; I would encourage her to only accept clients that she already knows.

I pay $50-55/hr for music lessons. . . So, $18/hr seems like a bargain. . .

I'd think $18/hr would be a great deal IF the lessons were well done. I think it is all about value. . . So, if your dd puts together a bit of a lesson plan. . . a bit of a write up about what she'll teach (maybe offer a couple options/tracks/levels) then she'll be in good shape.

I'd also charge less per hour if the parent committed to weekly lessons for a time rather than one here or there, as there is significant planning/coordinating time for each student, whether they are weekly or occasional. Maybe offer a prepaid discount for 8 weeks of lessons (say, pay for 7 and get the 8th for free. . .)

I'd also offer discounts for multiple children. . . So perhaps $18 for the first child/hour and $14 for each additional hour/child at the same time. (Saves her drive time. . . and that could encourage multiple families to come together to share her session at one home. . .)

I'd also offer a different rate for 2 (or more?) kids at the same time. Say $18/hr for one child or $24/hr for two kids. . . $32/hr for three. (Your dd would have to decide what her max is.)

Having some price breaks for multiples will make it more financially feasible for some folks and will encourage people to sign up multiples. I know I'd love that. :)

To me, it would be a huge bonus if the teacher would come to me and I'd definitely be willing to pay a premium for that. Travel time and whatnot. . . So, $18/hr does seem like a fine price. . .

Also, have her plan out how she'll handle supplies. Perhaps come up with a short (under $30) list of starter supplies to be ordered online or picked up at Michael's. . .

Have her write up her plan in a cute brochure or flyer. ..

Seems like a great plan to me.

:) I'd hire her!!!!!!!! I'd LOVE to hire her!!

FWIW, I live in the boonies where minimum wage jobs are common. . . but the local art studios offer classes that were sth like $18/hr for a GROUP CLASS!! Nuts!!

Guest Cindie2dds

Two, I'm not sure that art requires the same near-constant feedback that piano lessons do. With art class, there's a certain amount of class time spent teaching, and a certain amount of time spent giving feedback and adjusting technique, but usually there's also a good amount of time where the students are working independently; that's why group classes work so well - the teacher can circulate and help as needed during that time. That's my view as a complete non-artist, though!

I politely disagree. My children are young and she is at their side the entire time helping them mix colors, form lines, shades, work with clay, etc. When my oldest dd was in an art class with 10 other kids it was a waste of money. The teacher didn't have enough hands to help the kids who didn't know what to do next or understand. If you are talking about older kids who have had some art instruction, then, yes, I think there is some independent work.

I sought out someone who would pay attention to their needs, help them with their confidence, and really work with them.

Just my .02, please toss if you like. :)

We're in Silicon Valley, CA, and pay $15/1 hour class for 5-8 yo's or $20/1.5 hour class for 9+ yo's (6 students max) with an excellent, Monart-trained teacher. There's a $25/year "registration fee" that goes toward supplies, so she provides everything.

That's the most I would pay, I think. I don't think I'd be willing to pay a teen, without previous experience teaching art to children more than $10-12/hour.

If she had rave reviews from other families, maybe....

If I had a child who showed talent in art or who was passionate about art, I might look for a more specialized class and might be willing to pay a little more, but then I'd probably look at one of the museum art classes in our area.

How much would you pay for an art tutor to give art lessons to your children in your own home?? ... Would you pay $18 an hour for art lessons in your house?

If your daughter is getting herself to the lesson, then I think that this is a key element of what she wants to offer. If I'm doing the driving to the lessons, then I'll shop around for the best price (also considering the value of the lessons). OTOH, if someone is saying, "Let me come to your house, at your convenience," then that is another story entirely. What this means is that I can provide high-quality in-home art instruction to my children while I cook dinner, do laundry, post on the WTM boards.... You get the picture. Imagine the convenience!

If your daughter will be doing the driving, then she should charge for the convenience. Your daughter also needs to decide what, if any, supplies will be included in the lessons and which the parents will be required to purchase. I wouldn't mind being required to purchase/provide some "normal" art supplies, such as paper, watercolors, crayons, pencils. But if there's anything highly specialized and expensive, as many art supplies are, then I'd expect the art teacher to include that in the price of lessons. Also, if it's something that my children will use again on their own, it's worth the investment, but if it's something used for one or two lessons, I don't want to spend $50 on those supplies, KWIM?

Your daughter should go ahead and actually write up a syllabus for an 8 or 9-week course. Or perhaps she could offer two different levels (Beginner OR Intermediate) or two different types of art classes (Drawing & Painting OR Sculpting & 3-D Art) or even an art theory/artist appreciation class. Then she should list the supplies that would be needed to teach each course, along with the prices of these supplies (per pupil, per course). She will need to determine which supplies the parents have to provide, and which materials will be her responsibility. You don't want her to put in all this effort, only to end up putting out more money than she brings in!

Figure out the gas mileage, too. ;)

Also, she should earn something for her knowledge and skill. Other people do! IMO, anyone who hires a young adult should not use that young person's age (only) as an excuse not to pay a fair wage. If the maturity and ability and responsibility are there, then pay for it, no matter what the person's "number" is.

Your daughter has to answer a lot of questions: Will she charge a family with two children the same as a family of six? Will she want to divide the students up by age/ability? Will she allow two or more families to hire her as a group? How will she handle group pricing? Will lessons always be at the same location (same family's home)? Will lessons always be one hour? 75 minutes? 90 minutes? Will the time include set-up, the lesson development, practice, and clean-up? How far is she willing to drive to get to a lesson? Will she be comfortable in other people's homes? Will she have a cell phone or a way to reach you if she needs to get in touch? (Think safety, Mom).

I don't know what she could really expect to be paid: Could she charge something like $25/week for a 75 minute lesson for a group of 1-3 children (any number of families), meeting in the same location each week, with each extra child costing an additional $5/week (up to 6 children total)? For example, one family with three children would pay $25/week x 9 weeks - $225 (for 11.25 hours of art instruction @ $20/hour). If two families each had 3 children, they'd each pay $20/week for 9 weeks = $180, thus saving $45 for the semester. Your daughter will have to think through nitty-gritty details like these. HTH! Good luck!

Oh, oh!! You know what I _would_ pay for?!!? Someone (a teen, great! lots of energy! :) ) to do a semester of history related art projects, preferably with a small group of 4-6 kids studying the same time period. Say an hour and a half for $40 (each child pays $10). Maybe twice/month? I'd love to find someone to do that!

yvonne

All VERY GOOD ideas and considerations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put out some "feel-ers" locally. Within an hour we got several people interested in more information. Within 24 hours we've got several families ready to sign up whatever the price will be.

So, now we just need to completely develop the idea and get started!

I did tell a couple of moms that we could give them a reduced price for the first short workshop if they would let us work out the little details of how this will actually work and if they will give us references for a brochure.

This is supposed to be a part time job for my daughter. But, from the response it could EASILY be a full time well paid job!!

Thanks again to everyone!

Guest Cindie2dds
All VERY GOOD ideas and considerations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put out some "feel-ers" locally. Within an hour we got several people interested in more information. Within 24 hours we've got several families ready to sign up whatever the price will be.

So, now we just need to completely develop the idea and get started!

I did tell a couple of moms that we could give them a reduced price for the first short workshop if they would let us work out the little details of how this will actually work and if they will give us references for a brochure.

This is supposed to be a part time job for my daughter. But, from the response it could EASILY be a full time well paid job!!

Thanks again to everyone!

How wonderful! Keep us posted. I'm so glad she can get paid for something she loves to do!