Menu

Need some advice on losing weight (and keeping it off)...

OK, deep breath...I've tried to lose weight in the past 3.5 yrs since my youngest was born. I've only been able to lose about 11 lbs or so and always gain most of it back:glare:. I want to lose about 20 lbs to be at a "good" weight for me.

I know that I don't eat very healthy. I can admit that. I need to seriously cut down on how much I eat for one thing. Plus all the creamer in my coffee doesn't help at.all.

One part of the problem is hunger. I feel hungry a lot. Even if I just ate 20 min. before hand. I have seriously been considering appetite suppressants (sp?). Could anyone rec one that's safe and natural?

Another thing I've noticed for...well, since I've been a teen-ager is if I go too long with not eating, I get the shakes pretty badly. What can I do about that?? I hate it. I really do.

Also, to my down fall, I don't like many veggies. Green beans, lettuce, cucs, carrots, potatoes (that's a veg, right?). That's about it. Very limiting, I know!

Everytime I've tried losing weight in the past I've done the Leslie Sansone dvd's, which are great, but I'm not sure they really worked for me, you know? I love cardio that's fun and I liked her, I just didn't get the results that I wanted. What would you reccommend?

I thank whoever replies to me. I really need a lifestyle change. I not only want to lose weight (and keep it off) but I want to be heathier too!!

Edited by mama2cntrykids

I swear, after every kid I have it's like someone gave me a new body and it takes me just as long to find out what makes THIS particular body tick, so, it's hard.

If you know that your portions are too big, just start by cutting them in half. Make most of that portion high in veggie and protein and lowest in carb. If you are hungry later, then eat! When people go on diets and refuse to eat because they're afraid of too many calories, what happens is their body tries to hold onto the calories it already has. If you start eating when you're hungry -but small portions-you'll rev up your metabolism. Here's the thing though-you need to eat clean. Keep it as close to the way God made it as possible. (For snack proteins I keep hard boiled eggs in the fride and I always drink 1% milk and eat yogurt every day.) The other thing you can do is walk. You don't have to do 50 minutes of cardio, you can just walk. So, that's what's worked for me.

what I have found very helpful is a calorie counter, on the computer. I just enter the food that I eat each day. and it has a graph that tells me how close I am getting to my daily max. it really has helped me with portions, and realizing which foods have huge amounts of calories.

I also have found walking helps . I started out with a small walk, just to the end of the street early in the morning, and in the evening. I slowly increased tins and now are walking 10 km most mornings. this has really helped with body reshaping. I have lost 6 kg and are now below my max weight for body height and I still have 3 kg to go to get to the weight that I was before last child.

My body has definitely changed since I've had children. My thyroid quit working, I've developed migraines, and I've had my gall bladder removed. All of these things have affected how my body responds to food and exercise. Here's what I've found:

I lose weight VERY SLOWLY. While this can be incredibly discouraging, it also, for me, tends to mean that the weight stays off pretty well. In other words, slow loss=more permanent loss.

I feel hungry fairly often. If I ignore it, I get shaky. Carb intake affects this. The easiest thing for me to do here is to divide meals. For instance, I eat about half of whatever I'm having for breakfast, and save the rest to eat when I'm hungry again, which for me is in about an hour and a half. I do the same thing at lunch. I eat half of my lunch and save the rest to eat at about 4 pm. At dinner, I eat small portions and no bread. I'm always hungry before bed, so I plan to eat something to avoid a "problem":), usually pudding. Spreading things out like this allows me to avoid the shakiness without adding a lot of additional calories.

Carbs from things like sweets and white flour products are things that I try to limit. I don't avoid them completely, because that will make me want them more! However, protein is what really helps my blood sugar remain more stable. If I'm out and about, I'll take a few low-fat cheese sticks and a few crackers along. For me, it's important to eat before I start to feel shaky, because that's when I'll go for the sugar.

I used to be a serious exerciser. I still enjoy it, but if I do it in the amounts that I used to now, I'm just exhausted. I think it's important to keep up your muscle strength as well as your aerobic endurance. I just think that everyone responds to exercise differently as far as weight loss is concerned, and even if you aren't dropping pounds, you're still benefitting from it.

I hope there's something here that helps you!

I lost my 25 lbs by working with a personal trainer and, thanks to the education she gave me, I've maintained within 5 lbs of my goal for almost three years.

I could go on and on about nutrition and exercise, but the number one thing that has helped me change from a fat, sluggish existance to one of energy, activity, and life (I'm about to start training for my first half-marathon!) is counting calories, fat, carbs, and protein. As much of a pain as it may be, when I fall into a habit of not counting, I see and feel my body composition change and start putting on the pounds. On me, that translates into belly, and makes counting calories SO worth it. I've worked too hard and been too strong to allow that to happen again!

I use www.fitday.com. Once you input the foods you eat on a regular basis, it doesn't take more than about 10-15 minutes a day to plan out your meals.

Over the summer, I fell off my workout wagon. Then fell off my calorie counting wagon, and put on a couple inches and pounds. It happens. But, although I still haven't been very able to make it to the gym three times a week, I am able to log my food intake and plan my meals and within just a week or two saw a difference in my waistline. I think what we put into our bodies is far more important than we realize.

Please stay away from appetite suppressants! Make natural changes for results that are permanent. I'd be happy to pass on the information I got from my trainer. PM if you're interested.

I swear, after every kid I have it's like someone gave me a new body and it takes me just as long to find out what makes THIS particular body tick, so, it's hard.

If you know that your portions are too big, just start by cutting them in half. Make most of that portion high in veggie and protein and lowest in carb. If you are hungry later, then eat! When people go on diets and refuse to eat because they're afraid of too many calories, what happens is their body tries to hold onto the calories it already has. If you start eating when you're hungry -but small portions-you'll rev up your metabolism. Here's the thing though-you need to eat clean. Keep it as close to the way God made it as possible. (For snack proteins I keep hard boiled eggs in the fride and I always drink 1% milk and eat yogurt every day.) The other thing you can do is walk. You don't have to do 50 minutes of cardio, you can just walk. So, that's what's worked for me.

I've been hard boiling a lot of eggs lately and it really does help with the shakes I get. Thank you!

what I have found very helpful is a calorie counter, on the computer. I just enter the food that I eat each day. and it has a graph that tells me how close I am getting to my daily max. it really has helped me with portions, and realizing which foods have huge amounts of calories.

I also have found walking helps . I started out with a small walk, just to the end of the street early in the morning, and in the evening. I slowly increased tins and now are walking 10 km most mornings. this has really helped with body reshaping. I have lost 6 kg and are now below my max weight for body height and I still have 3 kg to go to get to the weight that I was before last child.

I did Walk away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone today PLUS walked after my step son got home from school (I needed someone to watch the younger dc). I felt really good afterwards!

My body has definitely changed since I've had children. My thyroid quit working, I've developed migraines, and I've had my gall bladder removed. All of these things have affected how my body responds to food and exercise. Here's what I've found:

I lose weight VERY SLOWLY. While this can be incredibly discouraging, it also, for me, tends to mean that the weight stays off pretty well. In other words, slow loss=more permanent loss.

I feel hungry fairly often. If I ignore it, I get shaky. Carb intake affects this. The easiest thing for me to do here is to divide meals. For instance, I eat about half of whatever I'm having for breakfast, and save the rest to eat when I'm hungry again, which for me is in about an hour and a half. I do the same thing at lunch. I eat half of my lunch and save the rest to eat at about 4 pm. At dinner, I eat small portions and no bread. I'm always hungry before bed, so I plan to eat something to avoid a "problem":), usually pudding. Spreading things out like this allows me to avoid the shakiness without adding a lot of additional calories.

Carbs from things like sweets and white flour products are things that I try to limit. I don't avoid them completely, because that will make me want them more! However, protein is what really helps my blood sugar remain more stable. If I'm out and about, I'll take a few low-fat cheese sticks and a few crackers along. For me, it's important to eat before I start to feel shaky, because that's when I'll go for the sugar.

I used to be a serious exerciser. I still enjoy it, but if I do it in the amounts that I used to now, I'm just exhausted. I think it's important to keep up your muscle strength as well as your aerobic endurance. I just think that everyone responds to exercise differently as far as weight loss is concerned, and even if you aren't dropping pounds, you're still benefitting from it.

I hope there's something here that helps you!

Thank you so much! Much of what you said was helpful. I have to be mindful of eating protein BEFORE I get shaky--got it!

I lost my 25 lbs by working with a personal trainer and, thanks to the education she gave me, I've maintained within 5 lbs of my goal for almost three years.

I could go on and on about nutrition and exercise, but the number one thing that has helped me change from a fat, sluggish existance to one of energy, activity, and life (I'm about to start training for my first half-marathon!) is counting calories, fat, carbs, and protein. As much of a pain as it may be, when I fall into a habit of not counting, I see and feel my body composition change and start putting on the pounds. On me, that translates into belly, and makes counting calories SO worth it. I've worked too hard and been too strong to allow that to happen again!

I use www.fitday.com. Once you input the foods you eat on a regular basis, it doesn't take more than about 10-15 minutes a day to plan out your meals.

Over the summer, I fell off my workout wagon. Then fell off my calorie counting wagon, and put on a couple inches and pounds. It happens. But, although I still haven't been very able to make it to the gym three times a week, I am able to log my food intake and plan my meals and within just a week or two saw a difference in my waistline. I think what we put into our bodies is far more important than we realize.

Please stay away from appetite suppressants! Make natural changes for results that are permanent. I'd be happy to pass on the information I got from my trainer. PM if you're interested.

I had looked up that website earlier today but it looks so intimidating:001_huh:. Maybe I'll give it a shot, who knows! So appetite suppressants are bad?? Isn't there something out there that's natural that works well? I just hate feeling hungry RIGHT after I've eaten. I try drinking water but it only helps for a few min, then I'm hungry again! Help!

What would someone suggest for a person who really is limited in what veggies they like? Also, I think for me, the key to not having the shakes and feeling full is PROTEIN. What besides meat/eggs has good protein in it that's good for you? Are protein shakes (the kind you drink) or protein powder any good?

I would focus on eating healthy primarily, and only secondarily on the weight loss. If you are overweight because of a habit of poor food choices...it only makes sense that changing to healthy food choices will help you lose weight. It doesnt mean you need to go hungry or only eat bland foods- you just need to head in a new direction and try new things. For starters, things like coffee creamers are full of horrible things- put milk or cream in your coffee- much better for you.

Change to wholegrains, discover some new recipes with lots of vegetables, eat normal, whole foods rather than foods that have been processed. If you eat breakfast, eat the healthiest cereal you can, or have eggs on healthy bread. Dont be hungry, eat well...

Hunger is often a sign that ourbody is craving nutrients that just dont come in packaged and processed foods. We keep feeling "I want more" because our body wants something its not getting. Are you eating greens? Lots of greens help conquor food cravings because our body really needs them. Fruit can help with cravings for sweet things.

Artifical sugars, trans fats...these things are in a lot of processed foods...and they mess with our metabolism.

I would focus on eating healthy primarily, and only secondarily on the weight loss. If you are overweight because of a habit of poor food choices...it only makes sense that changing to healthy food choices will help you lose weight. It doesnt mean you need to go hungry or only eat bland foods- you just need to head in a new direction and try new things. For starters, things like coffee creamers are full of horrible things- put milk or cream in your coffee- much better for you.

Change to wholegrains, discover some new recipes with lots of vegetables, eat normal, whole foods rather than foods that have been processed. If you eat breakfast, eat the healthiest cereal you can, or have eggs on healthy bread. Dont be hungry, eat well...

Hunger is often a sign that ourbody is craving nutrients that just dont come in packaged and processed foods. We keep feeling "I want more" because our body wants something its not getting. Are you eating greens? Lots of greens help conquor food cravings because our body really needs them. Fruit can help with cravings for sweet things.

Artifical sugars, trans fats...these things are in a lot of processed foods...and they mess with our metabolism.

:iagree:

I don't know about a lack of protein causing your shakes. Most often when I feel inexplicably fatigued and sometimes shakey it's due to a lack of carbohydrates. But then again, I don't often lack protein. I try to get 30% of my calories from protein, 50% from carbs, and 20% from fat. I only eat one supplement a day (a high protein bar or shake), try to get most of my protein from lean meats like chicken, turkey, or fish, and try not to rely on dairy protein too much. FitDay.com will show you a little pie graph of where your calories come from and you can see your ratios.

But first and foremost, don't starve yourself. If you've cut calories recently and you're hungry, that's your body going into starvation mode. Your body will hoard what you do put in, rather than using it up as fuel. Keep small meals going in regularly (I eat six small meals a day), keep your body active and moving (I do cardio/strength workouts 2-3 times a week), and you'll burn it all up like a machine.

One thing that makes a difference for me is drinks. If you drink water only and eliminate all of the empty drink calories, it makes a big difference. Drinking more water in general is a big one too. Those are two things that aren't too painful and can be done for life without starving yourself.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I will also add that when you get the shakes, it's not hunger at all--but withdrawal. You are experiencing a withdrawal, likely from sugar & refined carbs (and it doesn't take much). You need to keep eating all day to keep it at bay, and this will not stop until the offending foods are removed. Removing or reducing caffeine (if you consume it also) also helps combat this.

I'm living this every day. I've also experience how wonderful it is to recover from it--and I still slip sometimes. Ok, often. :blush:

:grouphug:

Thank you! I have been slowly switching to whole grains and we like it. This morning I had two eggs on a piece for whole wheat toast with a little real butter. It's after 11am and I'm still not hungry.

:iagree:

I don't know about a lack of protein causing your shakes. Most often when I feel inexplicably fatigued and sometimes shakey it's due to a lack of carbohydrates. But then again, I don't often lack protein. I try to get 30% of my calories from protein, 50% from carbs, and 20% from fat. I only eat one supplement a day (a high protein bar or shake), try to get most of my protein from lean meats like chicken, turkey, or fish, and try not to rely on dairy protein too much. FitDay.com will show you a little pie graph of where your calories come from and you can see your ratios.

But first and foremost, don't starve yourself. If you've cut calories recently and you're hungry, that's your body going into starvation mode. Your body will hoard what you do put in, rather than using it up as fuel. Keep small meals going in regularly (I eat six small meals a day), keep your body active and moving (I do cardio/strength workouts 2-3 times a week), and you'll burn it all up like a machine.

Your info was helpful, thank you! I guess that I thought the shakes were from lack of protein because after I started getting shaky, I would eat something with protein in it and feel better. I will have to take a second look at my carbs too. I know that I crave them and I also know that I need them. I just don't know how to find that balance!!

One thing that makes a difference for me is drinks. If you drink water only and eliminate all of the empty drink calories, it makes a big difference. Drinking more water in general is a big one too. Those are two things that aren't too painful and can be done for life without starving yourself.

I'm slowly cutting down on coffee. I don't think I could cut it completely out though. I also wouldn't want to lol. I'm also drinking A LOT more water, which I know is good!

Atkins or South Beach Diet help you be healthy, loss weight and NOT be hungry!

If you try these diets just be sure to take it slow so you don't go through withdrawal at the beginning (ie don't STOP drinking coffee all at once, etc).

I've tried Atkins and failed. ;)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I will also add that when you get the shakes, it's not hunger at all--but withdrawal. You are experiencing a withdrawal, likely from sugar & refined carbs (and it doesn't take much). You need to keep eating all day to keep it at bay, and this will not stop until the offending foods are removed. Removing or reducing caffeine (if you consume it also) also helps combat this.

I'm living this every day. I've also experience how wonderful it is to recover from it--and I still slip sometimes. Ok, often. :blush:

:grouphug:

Thanks for the hugs!! What should I replace the carbs and refined sugars with? What should I be snacking on? Obviously things like carrots, apples, etc. But what else??? I run out of creativity, lol!

Absolutely! I haven't had a soda (diet or otherwise) for almost 3 years. And simply switching to diet to eliminate calories can hardly be better for you when you take artificial ingredients into account.

What should I be snacking on? Obviously things like carrots, apples, etc. But what else??? I run out of creativity, lol!

Yes, lots of fruits and veggies, and throw some nuts in there. Take it easy on the dressings and dips (I do low fat or fat free because I don't eat much of it anyway.) Yogurts, cheeses, cottage cheese. Soups and whole wheat crackers are great, but watch the sodium. Bagels, english muffins, toast with peanut butter, rice cakes (they have different yummy flavors).

Two of my favorites are cottage cheese with pears, pineapple or grapes mixed in and a sprinkle of paprika on top (I don't know, my mom used to do it!), or apples or strawberries dipped in low fat vanilla yogurt.

Yummy! I'm getting hungry! In fact, my mid-morning snack will consist of half a cinnamon/raisin bagel with the minutest amount of real butter and an orange. I planned my entire day out on FitDay this morning, so there's much less chance of my snacking outside my caloric allowance. I know exactly what's coming, when it's coming, and that my intake will be almost perfectly balanced if I stick to it today.

Fat Loss for Idiots. $40 -- for the initial weight loss. I lost an initial 8 pounds in a few days.

Then the No S Diet (see the website online.) Free -- for maintaining the lost weight, or for losing it very slowly. No gimmicks. Just sensible eating.

I walk on the treadmill every day.

I was at 137, but now I fluctuate between 123 and 126--every day it's somewhere in those 4 pounds. I could be 123 today, but then 125 tomorrow, and then 124 the next day. I guess they're normal daily fluctuations.

But I haven't gone above 126 in months and months.

You're not going to lose weight without changing your eating habits. Period. (I say this as someone who needs to lose 60+ lbs., so no judgment here, trust me.)

There are lots of different ways to do this, and a lot depends on your personality. Do you do better with gradual change, or jumping in with both feet? I am very all-or-nothing when it comes to my eating habits, so I tend to tackle all of my bad habits at once and go with it as long as I can. I lose my weight in chunks. Others are more gradual--if you are like that, you could start by drinking water every day, then making some lean meat substitutions, or replace your unhealthy snacks with healthy ones.

Another thing for me--I have to have variety or I get bored and go back to more fattening food. When I'm on track with healthy eating, I try to bring in a new food every week. Something I really like and am excited to eat.

From what I understand, weight training is the key to keeping fat off. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so your resting metabolism is higher if you build muscle.

Good luck!

Yes, lots of fruits and veggies, and throw some nuts in there. Take it easy on the dressings and dips (I do low fat or fat free because I don't eat much of it anyway.) Yogurts, cheeses, cottage cheese. Soups and whole wheat crackers are great, but watch the sodium. Bagels, english muffins, toast with peanut butter, rice cakes (they have different yummy flavors).

Two of my favorites are cottage cheese with pears, pineapple or grapes mixed in and a sprinkle of paprika on top (I don't know, my mom used to do it!), or apples or strawberries dipped in low fat vanilla yogurt.

Yummy! I'm getting hungry! In fact, my mid-morning snack will consist of half a cinnamon/raisin bagel with the minutest amount of real butter and an orange. I planned my entire day out on FitDay this morning, so there's much less chance of my snacking outside my caloric allowance. I know exactly what's coming, when it's coming, and that my intake will be almost perfectly balanced if I stick to it today.

Thanks so much for all your great snack ideas!! I really do appreciate them. I just have a question...regarding the bagels/english muffin idea. Those are pretty high in carbs, right?? Or will buying whole grain make the difference when it comes to that? Sorry, I don't mean to sound ignorant, but well, I *am* :lol:.

Fat Loss for Idiots. $40 -- for the initial weight loss. I lost an initial 8 pounds in a few days.

Then the No S Diet (see the website online.) Free -- for maintaining the lost weight, or for losing it very slowly. No gimmicks. Just sensible eating.

I walk on the treadmill every day.

I was at 137, but now I fluctuate between 123 and 126--every day it's somewhere in those 4 pounds. I could be 123 today, but then 125 tomorrow, and then 124 the next day. I guess they're normal daily fluctuations.

But I haven't gone above 126 in months and months.

I've actually checked out the website for the No S Diet. One thing that had me scratching my head about is this. Many ppl say that eating a small, healthy snack between meals is ok as long as the meals aren't big themselves and the snacks are small and healthy. The guy on the NO S Diet site says that's a NO-NO. What do I believe?? I really need something to curb my appetite between meals or I get shaky and eat more during my meals. Not challenging you in the least, just not sure **what** to believe.

You're not going to lose weight without changing your eating habits. Period. (I say this as someone who needs to lose 60+ lbs., so no judgment here, trust me.)

There are lots of different ways to do this, and a lot depends on your personality. Do you do better with gradual change, or jumping in with both feet? I am very all-or-nothing when it comes to my eating habits, so I tend to tackle all of my bad habits at once and go with it as long as I can. I lose my weight in chunks. Others are more gradual--if you are like that, you could start by drinking water every day, then making some lean meat substitutions, or replace your unhealthy snacks with healthy ones.

Another thing for me--I have to have variety or I get bored and go back to more fattening food. When I'm on track with healthy eating, I try to bring in a new food every week. Something I really like and am excited to eat.

From what I understand, weight training is the key to keeping fat off. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so your resting metabolism is higher if you build muscle.

Good luck!

Thank you. Like you, I also need to jump in with both feet. I've become resolute to NOT bring the junky stuff in the house.period. I mean, I *am* the one who does ALL the shopping.

Really, weight training, huh? Hmmm, does cardio then help take it off initially? Just trying to understand how it all works ;).

I lost 60 lbs prior to kids and kept it off several years until I had kids, then had 3 kids in 3.5 years, gained about 15 lbs, then started homeschooling and now additional 25 lbs have caught up with me.

I've had to accept my body post kid and along with age will respond differently and to be realisitc with my goals, eating, and schedule.

Add to it I have a combination of food and allergy related issues.

read "You On a Diet" by Dr. Oz and the yellow "Eat This Not That"

tracking fiber vs calories, I try to eat 5g at each mini meal, giving me 30g per day. I find by eating high fiber foods, the rest follows.

Dr. Oz's fitness for life plan is very realistic.

I use a smaller plate then the rest of the family and will often eat half, wait 2 hours, and eat the other half.

I find eating protein regularly very important, which is hard not being able to eat nuts, not liking meat, and being an egg/dairy free family due to severe food allergies in the kids.

snacks: natural applesauce, sugar free jello, cubed up cooked chicken breast, pretzels, Triscuits, green tea, almonds, baby carrots dipped in hummus, V8, cold kidney beans, fruit if you can do that, hardboiled eggs (again if not allergic), small salad, leftovers, etc.

Sounds silly, but try drinking water from different cups and at different tempertures. I like room temp water in a glass best.

Work with what you will eat, again Dr. Oz's book was wonderful with guiding me through an eating plan. He actually recommends rotating a few solid choices. Take those that you like and come up with a variety of ways to vary them slightly.

I now do cardio, free weights, and yoga at home, prior to kids I was actually a gym rat.

I work with the reality of life and my schedule. Waking up at 5 a.m. in freezing weather is just not going to happen and when I work out at night, I'm too wired to go to sleep, so I work out between 2 & 4. I actually just came up from working out.

I replaced diet soda with green tea.

A reality check for me was buying a pedometer, I didn't realize how little I was walking in a day since I'm not longer chasing toddlers and am homeschooling 3.

I also try to enourage family activities that are active, walking the dog, hiking, etc.

Lots of good ideas there! Thanks so much:grouphug:. I will take a look at the Oz diet. Awhile ago at Wal-Mart, I actually picked and looked at one of the Eat this and Not That book. It looked promising!

I need to write down many of these ideas in my notebook (aka--my brain, lol). So much wisdom!

You can suppress you appetite naturally. Studies show that women who ate an apple before each meal consumed less food overall and prevented weight gain.

If you're constantly hungry, something is off. Go to your health food store and check out candida cleanse products. Candida will make you crave sweets as it feeds off sugar. If you've ever taken an antibiotic, chances are you have candida.

1. Do a candida cleanse.

2. Take a good quality probiotic daily.

3. Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner.

4. Do not eat after 6 pm. Even if you do nothing else, you will see results if you do not eat after 6 pm.

5. Make sure you have a bm every day. If you can't, something is wrong. You're eating foods that your body cannot easily digest. You need to find out if you're having a hard time digesting certain foods. Dairy and Gluten (wheat) are the common culprits. Find alternatives if necessary, or limit processed dairy and cut back on gluten.

6. Walk for at least 30 min every day.

7. Stay away from processed foods.

You will lose weight and keep it off if you follow this plan.

HTH!

I would like to suggest www.fityummymummy.com . Holly has taught me how to eat healthy and has put together a workout program that can be either done 15 minutes a day 6 times a week or 30 mins 3 times a week. No need to go to a gym if you have a few dumbbells at home.

Like most of the posters said, you have to learn to eat healthy. You cannot out train a bad diet. I KNEW I should eat healthy but I just didn't get it, once I saw all the benefits and helps to eating healthy, I wont ever go back. Also knowing that the junk was hindering all my efforts helped too. Nice thing is that once you see how to eat healthy you really don't have to calorie count for the rest of your life and you plan to eat the foods you love (chocolate or pizza or whatever) 2 or 3 times a week depending upon your goals.

I am on the clubfym forum boards and I know some of the ladies who are listed as testimonials on this program. Holly also has a blog that is www.getfitandyummy.com (I think! he he). I have been using this program for 3 months now and have gone down a size. More than that, my energy is through the roof, I sleep better, am happier, I just plain feel good. Plus the ladies on the forum are so kind and helpful. Haven't found anywhere else to be anywhere like it!

I don't get paid to say this. I just enjoy the program and wish I knew about it sooner!

Couldn't agree more w/ Peela.

I am keeping to a protein/complex carbs (vegetable & fruits)diet. This does not mean I cannot eat a little piece of bread now and then but I really watch the carbs because they make me feel sluggish and I gain weight fast when I eat too many white flour/sugar carbs.

Complex carbs are found in a wide variety of vegetables and fruit but evidently they are metabolized differently than the "bad" carbs.

If you start walking for as little as half an hour a day and build up to more time you will likely see a difference too.

For me, a combination of healthy eating and moderate exercise works best.

Thank you. Like you, I also need to jump in with both feet. I've become resolute to NOT bring the junky stuff in the house.period. I mean, I *am* the one who does ALL the shopping.

Really, weight training, huh? Hmmm, does cardio then help take it off initially? Just trying to understand how it all works ;).

That's how I understand it--cardio is good for burning calories, but weight training is good for raising the metabolism. Sort of like the different between a $1000 bonus and a $100 raise--the bonus gives you more *right now*, but the raise gives you more in the long run, if that makes sense.

You can suppress you appetite naturally. Studies show that women who ate an apple before each meal consumed less food overall and prevented weight gain.

If you're constantly hungry, something is off. Go to your health food store and check out candida cleanse products. Candida will make you crave sweets as it feeds off sugar. If you've ever taken an antibiotic, chances are you have candida.

1. Do a candida cleanse.

2. Take a good quality probiotic daily.

3. Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner.

4. Do not eat after 6 pm. Even if you do nothing else, you will see results if you do not eat after 6 pm.

5. Make sure you have a bm every day. If you can't, something is wrong. You're eating foods that your body cannot easily digest. You need to find out if you're having a hard time digesting certain foods. Dairy and Gluten (wheat) are the common culprits. Find alternatives if necessary, or limit processed dairy and cut back on gluten.

6. Walk for at least 30 min every day.

7. Stay away from processed foods.

You will lose weight and keep it off if you follow this plan.

HTH!

You know, I probably DO have a problem with Candida. My dd and I had huge problems with thrush when she was breastfeeding and before I decided to totally change my eating habits, I was (well, still AM) hugely addicted to SUGAR. I will look into a cleanse. It sounds like what I might need, among other things! Thank you!

I would like to suggest www.fityummymummy.com . Holly has taught me how to eat healthy and has put together a workout program that can be either done 15 minutes a day 6 times a week or 30 mins 3 times a week. No need to go to a gym if you have a few dumbbells at home.

Like most of the posters said, you have to learn to eat healthy. You cannot out train a bad diet. I KNEW I should eat healthy but I just didn't get it, once I saw all the benefits and helps to eating healthy, I wont ever go back. Also knowing that the junk was hindering all my efforts helped too. Nice thing is that once you see how to eat healthy you really don't have to calorie count for the rest of your life and you plan to eat the foods you love (chocolate or pizza or whatever) 2 or 3 times a week depending upon your goals.

I am on the clubfym forum boards and I know some of the ladies who are listed as testimonials on this program. Holly also has a blog that is www.getfitandyummy.com (I think! he he). I have been using this program for 3 months now and have gone down a size. More than that, my energy is through the roof, I sleep better, am happier, I just plain feel good. Plus the ladies on the forum are so kind and helpful. Haven't found anywhere else to be anywhere like it!

I don't get paid to say this. I just enjoy the program and wish I knew about it sooner!

I will check out the links you gave me. Thank you!

I've been doing well with my eating and exercising for the past three days! I was feeling really discouraged last night, but I think that's because we're running low on "healthy" food and all there was to snack on was...junk. Tonight dd and I are going to the grocery store while the boys are at Boy's Club.

I am a person that needs to eat more protein than most to feel good. If I don't have eggs in my breakfast, I end up hungry for lunch early and crash in the afternoon. So make sure you get plenty of lean, high quality protein, along with lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains (whole wheat bread (no high fructose corn syrup), brown rice, etc).

I found some slow success with Weight Watchers - just can't afford the mtgs right now, but I really rec. them! Or you can try them online. Also their mag has lots of useful practical suggestions. It comes down to eating healthy - eating for nutrition, but making it tasty and visually appealing.

Another thing that helped me is dividing my dinner plate: 1/4 meat; 1/4 whole grain or starch and 1/2 veggies.

To increase the appeal of veggies, try some different recipes rather than just plain veggies. Try ratatouille (sp?) for instance.

Blessings,

Sherri