Menu

Harry Reid's comments in Game Change (Enter with civility, please!)

Am I a bad conservative if I see little wrong with Harry Reid's comments about candidate Obama? Of course, I'm referring to his comments reportedly quoted in the new book Game Change. Here's the passage:

Harry Reid was wowed by Obama's oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a "light-skinned" African American "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one," as he said privately.

Although perhaps insensitively put, I really don't see what's wrong with this. It sounds to me like a positive opinion based on a fact and that everyone's making a PC storm out of it.

Am I missing something?

No good can come of this discussion. This and today's news regarding Sarah Palin are both bound for the delete file. Might as well skip it.

Don't know what Sarah Palin's up to, but I'm intrigued!

Honestly, "my" pundits on the right are going crazy with this, calling for Reid to resign and I just don't see it. I do see that it's something that's easy to get worked up over, as racial topics usually are, and it seems to me that either that's what happening or I'm missing part of the story.

Just looking for some insight.

She just signed a contract with Fox News.

Honestly, "my" pundits on the right are going crazy with this, calling for Reid to resign and I just don't see it. I do see that it's something that's easy to get worked up over, as racial topics usually are, and it seems to me that either that's what happening or I'm missing part of the story.

I agree with Sis, I think Reid was saying America is dumb and racist.

eta: I haven't watched the pundits, so I don't know what they are upset about. Are they saying that the remark is racist? That Reid was saying blacks aren't smart? I don't think that's what he was saying. I'm not sure that what he *was* saying was much better...or that I disagree with him to a certain extent.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

She just signed a contract with Fox News.

Obligatory *I think she only waited this long because all the comedians were predicting it*

eta: I haven't watched the pundits, so I don't know what they are upset about. Are they saying that the remark is racist? That Reid was saying blacks aren't smart? I don't think that's what he was saying. I'm not sure that what he *was* saying was much better...or that I disagree with him to a certain extent.

Yeah are they saying what he said was racist or mad because he called them dumb?

He said it privately. That bugs me. If he's announced it or said it on the radio, or during his stand-up routine or whatever, then rake him across the coals. It was a stupid thing to say. Him saying it in the privacy of his own home (or wherever he was) just means those are his private observations. While I wouldn't want to vote for the guy (knowing his private observation, which I personally think stinks a little of racist snobbery) I think calling for his resignation is a little over the top.

He didn't call anyone dumb.

The way I guess I assumed it to go was that he was a senator discussing the viability of his party's candidate or potential candidate with who knows who. Race and gender were obviously issues in the 2008 race and this just doesn't seem that out of the ordinary.

I know the RNC/Michael Steel is calling for his resignation, which just seems desperate to me.

I know the RNC/Michael Steel is calling for his resignation, which just seems desperate to me.

I agree. If they make him step down as house majority leader it could definitely affect his re-election. That's the goal here. This is pure, "helping my football team win," Dirty Tricks political game play.

I believe Reid has owned up to it and apologized and the apology was accepted by Obama.

I think the controversy is over Trent Lott's comments at a dinner or something honoring Strom Thurmond a few years ago. The Democrats demanded his resignation and I guess some are saying that there is a double standard thing going on here.

I believe Reid has owned up to it and apologized and the apology was accepted by Obama.

I think the controversy is over Trent Lott's comments at a dinner or something honoring Strom Thurmond a few years ago. The Democrats demanded his resignation and I guess some are saying that there is a double standard thing going on here.

I think there is a difference between making a comment while speaking publicly and saying something offhand.

It isn't like Mr Reid called him Macaca in front of a crowd or something.

It did seem to me like he was implying people were too stupid for Obama. But he didn't do it publicly.

Although perhaps insensitively put, I really don't see what's wrong with this. It sounds to me like a positive opinion based on a fact and that everyone's making a PC storm out of it.

Am I missing something?

This is by NO means offered up as an equivalent, but how would you feel if you read the following:

Rush Limbaugh was wowed by Colter's oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a female talk show host, especially one such as Colter -- a "bottle blonde who only sounds like an airhead when she wants to," as he said privately.

Would you feel empowered as a woman? Accepted by mainstream society? Hopeful for the future? etc.

This is by NO means offered up as an equivalent, but how would you feel if you read the following:

Rush Limbaugh was wowed by Colter's oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a female talk show host, especially one such as Colter -- a "bottle blonde who only sounds like an airhead when she wants to," as he said privately.

Would you feel empowered as a woman? Accepted by mainstream society? Hopeful for the future? etc.

I would be surprised he didn't say "raging maniac"

But I am always surprised when people aren't trying to stick her in a straight jacket.

Rush Limbaugh is a crazy shock jock anyways, not a Senator.

I would not vote for him, but I'm frankly tired of adults tattling all the time. I'd want to find the joik that took his private comment and made it public, then I'd want a public 'for shame' and for him to have to wear a tail for at least a year, along with a sign that says, 'you cannot trust me, because I will sell your conversation for pennies.'

I would not vote for him, but I'm frankly tired of adults tattling all the time. I'd want to find the joik that took his private comment and made it public, then I'd want a public 'for shame' and for him to have to wear a tail for at least a year, along with a sign that says, 'you cannot trust me, because I will sell your conversation for pennies.'

I am not tired of adults tattling, because that is how a lot of corruption is discovered but I wish that people would be less dumb about it.

I am not tired of adults tattling, because that is how a lot of corruption is discovered but I wish that people would be less dumb about it.

That's just it though, imo, tattling is just ratting people out for things simply to get them in trouble. Whereas being the whistle blower to take down corruption is a completely different ball o' wax.

:lol: I think you have to replace Rush Limbaugh with an elected representative in that analogy, but point taken! However...I don't see Senator Reid's comments as derogotory (like "bottle blond" and "airhead" are). It certainly seems that they were meant to be complementary.

What I hear him saying that doesn't sound so out of line within the political machine (or otherwise) is that Obama isn't representative of one race over another. I think the implication was that Obama wouldn't be considered "too black" nor "too white" by any of the particular political demographics they like to plunk us into to be elected. I think it's very clear that race is still an issue in this country to many people, and especially when we're talking about something as historic as electing our first black president.

Edited by BabyBre

Am I a bad conservative if I see little wrong with Harry Reid's comments about candidate Obama? Of course, I'm referring to his comments reportedly quoted in the new book Game Change. Here's the passage:

Harry Reid was wowed by Obama's oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a "light-skinned" African American "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one," as he said privately.

Am I missing something?

Yes it was truly insensitive. It's called foot-in-mouth-disease. Far too many public officials seem to suffer from it these days.

Perhaps someone should look into a vaccine for it.

ReidĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s office confirmed that Reid himself was the source of the anecdote to the reporters.

I don't see Senator Reid's comments as derogotory (like "bottle blond" and "airhead" are). It certainly seems that they were meant to be complementary.

Yes, that is the line that the DNC chairman kept spinning on Fox News Sunday. I looked at my dh in shock and asked, "Did he just say that calling someone light-skinned is a compliment?????"

That is a racist comment that shows a racist viewpoint. If it is a compliment to be called light-skinned, then it is an insult to be called dark-skinned.

And that is the problem with this whole thing for me.

That is a racist comment that shows a racist viewpoint. If it is a compliment to be called light-skinned, then it is an insult to be called dark-skinned.

:iagree:

It's well known that judgments of skin color from light to dark has its roots in slavery.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thegaggle/archive/2010/01/11/the-ugly-roots-of-the-light-skin-dark-skin-divide.aspx

Edited by Heather in WI

Well it is vulgar, dismissive of his accomplishments, racist and a nasty stereotype.

Vulgar: I didn't see any vulgar verbiage. Did I miss a curse word somewhere?

Dismissive: He was praising Obama and commenting how electable he was.

Racist: He said that Obama doesn't speak negro dialect. I've heard negro dialect -- I hear it on TV all the time. Some people call it Ebonics. It's another way of saying "non-standard English." I can see how using the word "negro dialect" could be seen as insensitive, but racist? I assure you, African Americans know that many of them speak in non-standard English.

Stereotype: Really? It's a stereotype to say that Obama doesn't speak the way 80% of African Americans speak in the 'hood?

Here's my personal take on this:

Reid was having a conversation about how electable someone was. The fact is that some people are electable and some are not. Our country is not yet ready for an African American leader that's jet black, wears a 'fro, and speaks fluent Ebonics. (The good Mr. Mr. Steele from the GOP often uses Ebonics in an effort to ingratiate himself and it has backfired consistently.) Do you really think these conversations don't happen when any party is considering backing someone? Of course they have these conversations. They have to. They're in the business of getting people elected.

The conversation was had within a very small circle of associates - five. A year later, someone in that small group felt compelled to quote the phrase. Faux news immediately picked it up, stripped it of content like only they can, and started broadcasting the sound bite. And now Mr. Steel, who speaks more negro dialect than any elected official I've ever seen (despite being quite capable of speaking in perfect standard English), is calling for Reid to step down.

In his dreams.

Edited by tdeveson

The conversation was had within a very small circle of associates - five. A year later, someone in that small group felt compelled to quote the phrase. Faux news immediately picked it up, stripped it of content like only they can, and started broadcasting the sound bite.

Except that's not how it happened. The private conversation was with the book's authors.

Edited by Heather in WI

The conversation was had within a very small circle of associates - five. A year later, someone in that small group felt compelled to quote the phrase. Faux news immediately picked it up, stripped it of content like only they can, and started broadcasting the sound bite.

Wrong. Maybe you should read a little about what we are talking about before you comment. The conversation took place between Reid and Liberal reporters. Instead of reporting it when it was said they saved it for their book that just came out. The quotes are directly from the authors of "Game Change" from a conversation they had with Reid and they are definitely leaning left. Even Democrats think this is awful. The "Black" (also light skinned but often speaks like he has a foot in his mouth) Governor of NY has come out and said "I thought the comments not only were reprehensible, but it's amazing to think to print a whole book, that so many people saw, and nobody noticed that this ill-chosen remark was in the book? Didn't anybody read the book before they put it out? I find it kind of shocking."

I'm sorry, I do think those comments were racist. I think a lot of our older Americans (no matter what skin color) still have prejudices about skin color. I think it's only been the last couple of generations that have grown up color-blind. I know that I'm often shocked at what our elderly will say (about more subjects than race). Reid is 70 years old and in my opinion he falls in that category. He's said sorry and I do think this should all be dropped now. But I have been surprised that so many black leaders have stood up and defended Reid, I think that has made many feel that there is a double standard between the parties which I think there is.

Melissa

Vulgar: I didn't see any vulgar verbiage. Did I miss a curse word somewhere?

Dismissive: He was praising Obama and commenting how electable he was.

Racist: He said that Obama doesn't speak negro dialect. I've heard negro dialect -- I hear it on TV all the time. Some people call it Ebonics. It's another way of saying "non-standard English." I can see how using the word "negro dialect" could be seen as insensitive, but racist? I assure you, African Americans know that many of them speak in non-standard English.

Stereotype: Really? It's a stereotype to say that Obama doesn't speak the way 80% of African Americans speak in the 'hood?

Reid was having a conversation about how electable someone was. The fact is that some people are electable and some are not. Our country is not yet ready for an African American leader that's jet black, wears a 'fro, and speaks fluent Ebonics. (The good Mr. Mr. Steele from the GOP often uses Ebonics in an effort to ingratiate himself and it has backfired consistently.) Do you really think these conversations don't happen when any party is considering backing someone? Of course they have these conversations. They have to. They're in the business of getting people elected.

The conversation was had within a very small circle of associates - five. A year later, someone in that small group felt compelled to quote the phrase. Faux news immediately picked it up, stripped it of content like only they can, and started broadcasting the sound bite. And now Mr. Steel, who speaks more negro dialect than any elected official I've ever seen (despite being quite capable of speaking in perfect standard English), is calling for Reid to step down.

In his dreams.

Thank you! I'm glad to know I'm not alone (although I think I may still be alone among conservatives). ;)

But I have been surprised that so many black leaders have stood up and defended Reid, I think that has made many feel that there is a double standard between the parties which I think there is.

Melissa

I may be wrong, but I believe most of those are Democratic or liberal black leaders (but perhaps they don't find the comments offensive anyway?). And, yes, the double standard is that a Republican would have been run out of office (and have been in the past) for saying much less.

I don't believe Harry Reid is a racist (against blacks, at least) for one minute! Today's global liberals can't afford to have racist tendencies against anyone but the white majority.

I interpreted Reid's comments as basically saying that racism is still a problem in this country and that if Pres. Obama was not light-skinned and/or had an accent he never would have been elected. I would have to agree with the statement.

I don't believe he meant it to be a judgement against blacks who are darker or have accents. Instead, it was a judgement about the nature of the American electorate and what we're ready for. I don't think the quote is ambiguous. I think it's quite clear that he was judging the electorate and not blacks.

That said, I think the way he phrased (word choice, etc.) it was absolutely stupid. Who cares who he said it to. When you are a political official of his status nothing you say is truly private or safe. He should have known better.

Still, I find it ironic that the anti-PC conservatives are using Reid's anti-PC language as the basis for their campaign for him to step down.

I interpreted Reid's comments as basically saying that racism is still a problem in this country and that if Pres. Obama was not light-skinned and/or had an accent he never would have been elected. I would have to agree with the statement.

I don't believe he meant it to be a judgement against blacks who are darker or have accents. Instead, it was a judgement about the nature of the American electorate and what we're ready for. I don't think the quote is ambiguous. I think it's quite clear that he was judging the electorate and not blacks.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I'm a little flabbergasted that anyone could see this in any other way. I always try to see both sides, but I'm just not seeing this. It feels to me like people are upset that someone is speaking the very uncomfortable truth, and rather than feeling guilty that there might be some truth in the statement, they get defensive. This is a self defense mechanism, someone help me out with the name here. Anyone cover Freud yet? :tongue_smilie:

That said, I think the way he phrased (word choice, etc.) it was absolutely stupid. Who cares who he said it to. When you are a political official of his status nothing you say is truly private or safe. He should have known better.

Still, I find it ironic that the anti-PC conservatives are using Reid's anti-PC language as the basis for their campaign for him to step down.

:iagree: And I'm an anti-PC conservative. The RNC comes across as desperate to eliminate Obama Democrats, but then again, the RNC is hardly anti-PC.

How many of you have actually lived in da hood?

Actually lived. in. da. hood? I have. Jenny in ATL lives right around the corner.

I'm not talking about what you see on television. Not what you perceive to be "accents". Not what you view as skin 'tone'.

I'm discussing real, down and dirty (as in people fighting to the death) delineations between where 'white' people live, where 'brown' people live, where 'oreos' live, where 'black' people live, where 'yellow' people live?

Yes, it still exists in America. And those distinctions really MEAN something to people in many, many parts of America. They are INCREDIBLE insults. There are few things worse than being called a 'cracka' in Atlanta (or most of the south). It is the 'white' person's equivalent of the 'n' word.

A 'light skinned black' is treated differently than a 'dark skinned black' in some schools. My own son, who had ZERO 'white' friends, could not attend public school under threat of DEATH. Who warned him of this? His 'black' friends. They were trying to save his life.

And guess what? DS knew how to speak the 'dialect'. So did his friends. They depended upon it for survival at school. Were they allowed to speak it at home? Oh no... their folks would box their ears. All of them could move in and out of it at will, depending on the situation.

I find what Senator Reid said to be reprehensible. He could think it all he wanted to. God knows many, many people throughout the US do - I've met them - but if this country is EVER going to move forward, kids need to be able to go to school without fear of being killed whatever the color of their skin, and we need to impress upon our children the importance of language.

a

Yes, it still exists in America. And those distinctions really MEAN something to people in many, many parts of America. They are INCREDIBLE insults. There are few things worse than being called a 'cracka' in Atlanta (or most of the south). It is the 'white' person's equivalent of the 'n' word.

A 'light skinned black' is treated differently than a 'dark skinned black' in some schools.

That's exactly the point. This is on what he was commenting. :confused:

That's exactly the point. This is on what he was commenting. :confused:

I don't think that is what he was commenting on at all.

I think he was letting the social mores of many in his generation shine through, loud and clear. And, unfortunately, those *same* mores are alive and well in many communities TODAY - it just isn't talked about in the MSM because people want to wish it away.

Finally - those mores go in ALL directions. Hate is universal, as sad as that is.

The one GOOD thing I learned living in the 'hood'? REAL people don't talk like the Senator did - to book writers, on the sly. REAL people will be straight up, and tell you what they think, to your FACE - with no 'apologies' after the fact. All of the cards will be on the table. I wouldn't trade my time there for anything.

asta

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

is there such a sin?

Anyway, I think we all understand that the word "Negro," for whatever reason, is very much out of favor and has been for decades. How could Harry Reid not have received that memo? Does he regularly talk about blacks as "negros?" Or is that something he understands is out of favor and only says in private, and if so, why? He's politician. He spends his life trying to win favor of his potential voters. Why would he purposely use language that he knows will cause a stir, and how could he NOT know that would cause a stir? And who talks to reporters without knowing that your words might become public?

We all know that "negro" is out of favor. If I were in a store and someone said, "Oh, yes, I saw who left these keys. It was that negro woman who checked out before me. Run and try to catch her in the parking lot" we would all cringe. Even in a helpful context, that word is just cringe-worthy.

How could an elected official of Reid's stature not know that?

But I agree that what he was essentially saying is that Obama is a good candidate because he seems less black and therefore more likable. I think there is some truth to that statement, and I think it reflects on the prejudices of the American people, but sometimes the truth hurts. I haven't read the book, though, so I am assuming that that was the essence based on what I have seen in news reports, not on actually reading the book.

Edited by Danestress

Actually lived. in. da. hood? I have. Jenny in ATL lives right around the corner.

I'm not talking about what you see on television. Not what you perceive to be "accents". Not what you view as skin 'tone'.

I'm discussing real, down and dirty (as in people fighting to the death) delineations between where 'white' people live, where 'brown' people live, where 'oreos' live, where 'black' people live, where 'yellow' people live?

ME! My oldest used to know we were almost home when we passed the projects.

I think Reid showed his true colors here.

But, in this situation, President Obama couldn't do anything BUT publicly accept his apology. He's got more to worry about right now. I think it will be very telling in the upcoming election season. I would be very surprised if the president campaigns for him. I have a feeling he will be getting the major shaft behind the scenes.

A 'light skinned black' is treated differently than a 'dark skinned black' in some schools. My own son, who had ZERO 'white' friends, could not attend public school under threat of DEATH. Who warned him of this? His 'black' friends. They were trying to save his life.

And guess what? DS knew how to speak the 'dialect'. So did his friends. They depended upon it for survival at school. Were they allowed to speak it at home? Oh no... their folks would box their ears. All of them could move in and out of it at will, depending on the situation.

I find what Senator Reid said to be reprehensible. He could think it all he wanted to. God knows many, many people throughout the US do - I've met them - but if this country is EVER going to move forward, kids need to be able to go to school without fear of being killed whatever the color of their skin, and we need to impress upon our children the importance of language.

a

I don't think that is what he was commenting on at all.

I think he was letting the social mores of many in his generation shine through, loud and clear. And, unfortunately, those *same* mores are alive and well in many communities TODAY - it just isn't talked about in the MSM because people want to wish it away.

Finally - those mores go in ALL directions. Hate is universal, as sad as that is.

The one GOOD thing I learned living in the 'hood'? REAL people don't talk like the Senator did - to book writers, on the sly. REAL people will be straight up, and tell you what they think, to your FACE - with no 'apologies' after the fact. All of the cards will be on the table. I wouldn't trade my time there for anything.

asta

Thank you for that perspective, Asta.

I agree with Sis, I think Reid was saying America is dumb and racist.

:iagree: But it's hardly surprising from him.....

Last year he said that we all stink. When the tourists come to visit the Capitol, he can smell us coming because it's hot and humid. :tongue_smilie:

I think Mr. Reid has a history like VP Biden, he tends to put his foot in his mouth, saying things that are ill-advised, poorly worded or just flat-out stupid.

ReidĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s office confirmed that Reid himself was the source of the anecdote to the reporters.

:001_huh:

Except that's not how it happened. The private conversation was with the book's authors.

Okay, then he deserved it. I mean, no offense to authors, but isn't it common knowledge by now that for authors and journalists, nothing is really "off the record?" What an idjet.

Oh...anecdote to reporters is not "said offhand to someone"

Sheesh. Duh.

Not surprising. The "you can smell 'em coming" comment about tourists last year was made during the opening ceremony of the visitor's center to the Capitol Building, in front of a microphone. He prefaced the comment by saying, "my aides told me not to say this, but...."

So it does show a certain disregard of his for average Americans. I guess his constituents can decide what that means for them.

I think what Reid said was stupid, much like what Trent Lott said was stupid. However, there always seems to be a double standard.....one set of rules for Republicans and another set for Democrats. When Trent Lott made his stupid remark the Democrats were calling for his head on a platter and he was forced out of his leadership position. Now that a Democrat is the one saying something stupid the Democrats are trying to dismiss it and sweep it under the rug. Fair is fair and Harry should be forced out, otherwise the next time a Republican says something stupid (and they will) the Democrats need to keep their mouth shut.

I think what Reid said was stupid, much like what Trent Lott said was stupid. However, there always seems to be a double standard.....one set of rules for Republicans and another set for Democrats. When Trent Lott made his stupid remark the Democrats were calling for his head on a platter and he was forced out of his leadership position. Now that a Democrat is the one saying something stupid the Democrats are trying to dismiss it and sweep it under the rug. Fair is fair and Harry should be forced out, otherwise the next time a Republican says something stupid (and they will) the Democrats need to keep their mouth shut.

Trent Lott said, "I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either," Thurmond was a Segragationist and racist. He conducted the longest filibuster ever by a lone U.S. Senator in opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1957. Any politician that would extol the virtues of a known racist deserves what he gets. While what Harry Reid said was stupid and ignorant, it hardly compares with what Lott said.

Margaret

:iagree:

I interpreted it as a condemnation of the state of tolerance in our country as well, not as a personal attack on the President.

astrid

He didn't call anyone dumb.

The way I guess I assumed it to go was that he was a senator discussing the viability of his party's candidate or potential candidate with who knows who. Race and gender were obviously issues in the 2008 race and this just doesn't seem that out of the ordinary.

I think he just wants equal treatment for both parties. Did Reid comment on how Hillary spoke or any of the other candidates? I haven't heard any comments to that effect. Reid's comments are equivalent to him saying "Hillary dresses well," so Americans could elect her. They are insulting and very similar to Rush's comments when he work for ESPN. He lost his job.

I have to say though that I really do not care for the book. I have heard that it is filled with gossip and un-named sources.