Menu

Suggestions for Pre-Algebra / Intro Algebra?

mominsac

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what Pre-Algebra/Intro Algebra would be good as supplement. My DD is studying 6th grade math now, and they solve some algebraic equations, but it is not a full-blown pre-algebra course. We are currently also doing EPGY. The hope is to pick out next a pre-algebra/algebra curriculum that would be good supplement/enrichment for more practice, breadth and depth.

I'm considering:

• EPGY Pre-Algebra, then EPGY Beginning Algebra
  • AoPS Algebra text
  • AoPS Algebra class
  • Singapore NEM

Any advice, comments would be most appreciated. Also, would anyone consider using EPGY and AoPS, or EPGY and NEM for this level, or would that be too much? Thanks!

Have you looked at Life of Fred? There is a new Prealgebra & Biology book that looks terrific. LoF can be a stand-alone program (especially beginning with Algebra, since there are Companion books available), but it also makes a great supplement because it presents the information in such a different format ~ and it's fun!

Jackie

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what Pre-Algebra/Intro Algebra would be good as supplement. My DD is studying 6th grade math now, and they solve some algebraic equations, but it is not a full-blown pre-algebra course. We are currently also doing EPGY. The hope is to pick out next a pre-algebra/algebra curriculum that would be good supplement/enrichment for more practice, breadth and depth.

I'm considering:

• EPGY Pre-Algebra, then EPGY Beginning Algebra

• AoPS Algebra text

• AoPS Algebra class

• Singapore NEM

Any advice, comments would be most appreciated. Also, would anyone consider using EPGY and AoPS, or EPGY and NEM for this level, or would that be too much? Thanks!

I think the AoPS classes are fast paced, so I don't know that they'd be a good supplement, as they would require a lot of time.

If you're already using EPGY, then that's an obvious choice.

NEM would not be appropriate for pre-alg or as a supplement, IME. It is intense, advanced math.

AoPS Alg text could be excellent if dd passes the Are You Ready test (on their website). . . It should be challenging, but there'd be no rush to get through it.

HTH

Thanks everyone thus far! I will look at Dolciani and LOF, as I am not familiar with them, but I've seen them mentioned alot. I am curious about the AoPS classes - given the intensity - are these courses mostly for homeschoolers only or do they also have students who attend regular school but are motivated and find the time to take these classes?

Perhaps my choice of word "supplement" was little misleading. My DD would like to "test-out" of Pre-algebra all together at school next Fall so that she can take Algebra instead, since she is doing some "pre-algebra" already now (and doing well) and didn't want to feel like she was "repeating" most of the school year next year. My thinking, though, was that I would like her to gain ample understanding, practice and facility in pre-algebra/beg algebra concepts (and fill in any gaps) if she wanted to test out of a Pre-algebra class all together.

Any other advice/comments welcome! thank you.

Edited by mominsac
grammer

In my view, pre-algebra is just a holding point, until you are ready for algebra. If your dd is ready, then go for it. We have mostly switched over to Life of Fred--the new Pre-Algebra/Biology book is terrific. My dd is not a math-lover, so I am not pushing her to advance. My goal is to finish calculus in her senior year so we have lots of time.

Guest isaberg

I would agree that in general, pre-algebra is simply review of everything that goes before: Fractions, decimals, measurement, area, long division, etc. If a child needs review in one of those areas, then spending time reviewing it is valuable. But there isn't actually any math that is "pre-algebra." There's nothing new there. There may be algebraic _thinking_, but usually a child has been exposed to the find-the-missing-number idea from the early grades on. If your child has fractions and times tables down cold, and a strong understanding of the other areas of math, let her go on to algebra!

(I'm a huge fan of Teaching Textbook's Algebra 1 - it's written in a way that kids can work through it largely by themselves. Very accessible, and engaging without being dumbed-down or distracting. Their pre-algebra is just review of elementary math. For filling in missing pieces, like "how do I do fractions again?" The Key To Fractions - and Key to Decimals, etc. - booklets are easy, very complete, excellently written, independent, consumable, and cheap.)

I would agree that in general, pre-algebra is simply review of everything that goes before: Fractions, decimals, measurement, area, long division, etc. If a child needs review in one of those areas, then spending time reviewing it is valuable. But there isn't actually any math that is "pre-algebra." There's nothing new there. There may be algebraic _thinking_, but usually a child has been exposed to the find-the-missing-number idea from the early grades on. If your child has fractions and times tables down cold, and a strong understanding of the other areas of math, let her go on to algebra!

Really? Wow, MUS is a whole different sequence! MUS prealgebra is quite a bit more challenging than previous levels. It covers all operations using negative numbers, exponents (and negative numbers with exponents), roots and radicals, Pythagorean Theorem, surface area of solids, absolute value, ratio and proportion, volume of pyramids and cones, solving for the unknown with more involved equations than previously taught, multiplying polynomials, irrational numbers, and other miscellaneous topics.

When are these topics taught in other curricula?

Really? Wow, MUS is a whole different sequence! MUS prealgebra is quite a bit more challenging than previous levels. It covers all operations using negative numbers, exponents (and negative numbers with exponents), roots and radicals, Pythagorean Theorem, surface area of solids, absolute value, ratio and proportion, volume of pyramids and cones, solving for the unknown with more involved equations than previously taught, multiplying polynomials, irrational numbers, and other miscellaneous topics.

When are these topics taught in other curricula?

We pretty much covered those by Horizons 6.

And other than doing some of the Key to... Algebra books as a bit of filler, ds went straight into Dolciani algebra 1. I don't think he missed any *topics* by going straight to algebra... But it has been challenging (doable, but challenging), and I think many other kids might struggle making that leap, especially at a particularly young age. (But obviously I'm saying that *some* can do it and do well.)

Edited by abbeyej

It covers all operations using negative numbers, exponents (and negative numbers with exponents), roots and radicals, Pythagorean Theorem, surface area of solids, absolute value, ratio and proportion, volume of pyramids and cones, solving for the unknown with more involved equations than previously taught, multiplying polynomials, irrational numbers, and other miscellaneous topics.

This is all very interesting. Looking at EPGY 7th/Pre-Algebra, it looks as though it covers many of the new topics Joannqn lists.

While I understand that all the arithmetic skills are there, are you sure that your dc is ready for the logic part of Algebra?

I wouldn't switch to MUS preAlgebra; it's not harder than any other pre-Algebra.

We used SM & MUS for my middle dd. SM didn't each negative numbers or using letters in problems, and MUS didn't teach negative numbers. Although my middle one was arithmetically ready for Algebra at 11, she wasn't mature enough, logically ready and she lacked the linguistic aspects of math, so she's been doing a math book from Perpendicular Press that has challenged her in different ways (although some is just a review).

My eldest started Algebra at 11, but she hated math with a passion (the math before algebra more than Algebra) so we just went slowly and have tried a number of programs.

For a dc gifted in math, I wouldn't choose TT or MUS, although we've tried TT Algebra 1 & used many MUS at lower levels. We do love LoF, and from what I understand by hearsay, the pre-Algebra is written for those dc who have finished everything but aren't yet ready for Algebra.

There have been some threads that have discussed Algebra and Algebra that were quite interesting. You may wish to have your ds do Algebra 1 twice. We ended up doing that with my eldest, even though she was a strongish student (90 percent average the first time but self taught and not hard working that time through) and it made a huge difference because she understood the theory and began to think algebraically, which is a lot better than just doing the mechanics of Algebra for the math-inclined.

We like:

LoF

Gelfand's Algebra (but she's going to finish that with Algebra 2 because some of the problems are very long and involved.)

the old Dolciani Structure and Method (the ones from 1965-1975 are the best).

Dd liked Lial's, but more than I did.

Dd is currently doing Geometry, but my other one is going to start Algebra 1 soon for the first time.

What about having her take Saxon's placement test to see if she really needs anything else before starting Algebra?

Ds tested into Alg 1 right after finishing 6th grade math. *I chose to hold him back b/c he wasn't a "show your work" kind of kid, and I knew he'd flounder if he didn't form that habit AND understand the need, but 6th grade math (Prentice Hall) did prepare him as far as the needed concepts went.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older post but MUS does include negative numbers. I actually really like the way they explain subtraction of negative numbers, it makes it so simple. The Honors material is also now included in the student materials. I just got it for my DD to do before or along side her EPGY prealgebra to make sure she really has it down. (She will be going through Epsilon quickly first because I realized her fraction skills aren't where I think they should be, she will do this while she finishes out the last part of EPGY 6.)