Menu

Is taking hormones really the only way to prevent osteoporosis?

Does every woman past menopause have to take hormones? Why are my doctors pushing it so hard?

They say it's to prevent osteoporosis. I asked if I could just exercise and take calcium. They said no. This even though they know hormones make me absolutely miserable.

They say it's to prevent heart attacks, even though I have no family history, low blood pressure and I'm thin. The documentation that comes with my pills says they can CAUSE heart attacks. And cancer.

I took my first estrace pill today and have felt nauseous the entire day. Yesterday I felt great. I've been short-tempered and feel like crying. Did I mention yesterday I felt great? LOL. The doctor said to take them for a month at least before making up my mind to ask for something different.

Whine, whine whine.

Mostly I'm just whining. Please tell me stories in which women who never tolerated hormones before suddenly blossomed while trying them the ninth time.......

Your doctors are dinosaurs. Their information has largely been disproven.

HRT causes breast cancer, and does not reduce heart attacks as had been assumed. If you're worried about osteoporosis, there are targetted hormones that don't have all the side effects of regular HRT that help with this. But many, many women have led long and bone-healthy lives without WRT. The keys for that are weight bearing exercise and certain nutrients--Ca, Mg, B, Vitamin D, and I think protein. Sunshine helps a lot as well. The weight bearing exercise means high impact stuff and/or working out with weights. Swimming doesn't work at all, although it has many other benefits. Even walking doesn't do that much for your bones without doing a ton of it. I'm not sure about biking. Jogging, jumproping, aerobics, and weight lifting are the ones that pay off for your bones.

I've had a total hysterectomy in the fall of 2007. I am taking bio-identical Progesterone (without it I cannot stay asleep). I am not taking estrogen but I am supplementing with Maca which is a thyroid support and since your thyroid also manufactures estrogen, I am trying to go that route. In my case, low estrogen levels are desirable.

I've been able to function fine on this regiment.

Check out websites such as "Dr.Lark.com" and "Women to Women". Sorry, I don't know the URL but it's easily googled.

I would encourage you to seek the assistance of a naturopath. They will lay out many more options for you that allopathic physicians.

I don't know, my mom has taken estrogen for many years now (she had a hysterectomy when she was in her 40s? 50s?); she is also conscious of taking calcium supplements and regular exercise, as her mom had serious osteoporosis. She has excellent bone density, according to doctors. She had a rather nasty fall a few months back and the doctors were amazed that no bones were broken. She is definitely a believer in the estrogen/osteoporosis prevention link, but I know there has been lots of debate on this issue.

Edited to add: she had been tkaing estrogen for years when her regular doctor retired and she went to a new one, who refused to prescribe estrogen for her (I believe because of the fear of side effects); she switched to a different doctor who supported her continuing. So I think doctors are also very divided on this issue.

Edited by Kate in Arabia

Does every woman past menopause have to take hormones? Why are my doctors pushing it so hard?

They say it's to prevent osteoporosis. I asked if I could just exercise and take calcium. They said no. This even though they know hormones make me absolutely miserable.

They say it's to prevent heart attacks, even though I have no family history, low blood pressure and I'm thin. The documentation that comes with my pills says they can CAUSE heart attacks. And cancer.

I took my first estrace pill today and have felt nauseous the entire day. Yesterday I felt great. I've been short-tempered and feel like crying. Did I mention yesterday I felt great? LOL. The doctor said to take them for a month at least before making up my mind to ask for something different.

Whine, whine whine.

Mostly I'm just whining. Please tell me stories in which women who never tolerated hormones before suddenly blossomed while trying them the ninth time.......

Your doctor is actually half right. Have you had your hormones checked via blood draw to see if you are depleted? If a woman goes through natural menopause, it is natural for her to produce less hormones. For some women, that doesn't effect their life=others, not so much. Vit. D3 is actually the main supplement to take to prevent Osteo-calcium is good, too.

Personally, i would never take ANY hormones w/o my blood levels being checked first. Furthermore, I wouldn't take ANY estrogen w/o the balance of another hormone like progesterone or testosterone.

Additionally, there are other forms of estrogen to take-anything taken orally goes through the "first pass" which reduces the actual amount of hormone getting into the blood and to the receptor cites.

HRT causes breast cancer, and does not reduce heart attacks as had been assumed. If you're worried about osteoporosis, there are targetted hormones that don't have all the side effects of regular HRT that help with this. But many, many women have led long and bone-healthy lives without WRT. The keys for that are weight bearing exercise and certain nutrients--Ca, Mg, B, Vitamin D, and I think protein. Sunshine helps a lot as well. The weight bearing exercise means high impact stuff and/or working out with weights. Swimming doesn't work at all, although it has many other benefits. Even walking doesn't do that much for your bones without doing a ton of it. I'm not sure about biking. Jogging, jumproping, aerobics, and weight lifting are the ones that pay off for your bones.

No, HRT does *not* cause breast cancer. That issue has been addressed by the top hormone docs in the world. What you are most likely referring to, is the Women's Health Initiative from 2002 or 2003, when the ONLY HRT used in the study, was Premarin-which is a synthetic combo of 17 estrogens derived from HORSE URINE and Progestin-a synthetic progesterone. A catastrophic, poorly done study.

The female body makes 3 estrogens-Beta-17 Estradiol, Estriol, and Estrone. It is Estrone that *is* associated with breast cancer.

It is true that impact-type exercises reduce the risk for Osteo-walking, jogging, jumping(roping or trampoline) along with light weight lifting. the sunshine factor is due to it's powerful production of Vit. D-just 15 mins a day is awesome.

HRT is a LOADED term-not all hormone replacement is bad, and many women live very poor lives without it.

I've had a total hysterectomy in the fall of 2007. I am taking bio-identical Progesterone (without it I cannot stay asleep). I am not taking estrogen but I am supplementing with Maca which is a thyroid support and since your thyroid also manufactures estrogen, I am trying to go that route. In my case, low estrogen levels are desirable.

I've been able to function fine on this regiment.

Check out websites such as "Dr.Lark.com" and "Women to Women". Sorry, I don't know the URL but it's easily googled.

I would encourage you to seek the assistance of a naturopath. They will lay out many more options for you that allopathic physicians.

I don't know, my mom has taken estrogen for many years now (she had a hysterectomy when she was in her 40s? 50s?); she is also conscious of taking calcium supplements and regular exercise, as her mom had serious osteoporosis. She has excellent bone density, according to doctors. She had a rather nasty fall a few months back and the doctors were amazed that no bones were broken. She is definitely a believer in the estrogen/osteoporosis prevention link, but I know there has been lots of debate on this issue.

Edited to add: she had been tkaing estrogen for years when her regular doctor retired and she went to a new one, who refused to prescribe estrogen for her (I believe because of the fear of side effects); she switched to a different doctor who supported her continuing. So I think doctors are also very divided on this issue.

Yes, most doctors are very divided on this issue, and there is a lot of misinformation out there. It sounds like your mom know her body well, and has been willing to advocate successfully for herself when it comes to her hormonal health.

Imnsho-most doctors are ignorant when it comes to this issue.

I had a total hysterectomy the end of Dec. 1999. They started me on an estrogen patch 6 weeks after surgery to help with the surgical menopause symptoms. However......I think they waited too long, since the symptoms started 1 week after surgery.

Anyhow, after 2 weeks on the stuff I was a mess, and I knew after 5 weeks of symptoms that it wasn't anything I couldn't handle if I set my mind to it, so I just threw it all away and told my doc I didn't want HRT. He said it was my body and my call.

I had several months of severe symptoms, several years of just discomfort and then....nothing. So, it's now been just over 10 years since my surgical menopause and other than 2 weeks, I've never had HRT and I'm just fine. The bones are fine. I take calcium and D3. I fell and twisted my ankle (playing DDR with the kids, LOL), but no broken bones. My heart is fine. I take 2 baby aspirin a day to protect it.

I don't, and didn't miss HRT. I made it through and I'm still healthy.

However, I have a friend that just can.not.function. without her HRT. She needs it and it works for her. Isn't that great! Sometimes, you just need medicine and when you do I'm glad it's there. But if it makes you miserable....it ain't helping.

Ask to have your vitamin D level tested. If your vitamin D level is low then you are at higher risk for osteoporosis. I would also have my hormone levels actually tested. I would not just take hormone therapy just because. I would also go to a naturopathic doctor. At least then if you have to take hormones they can give you bio-identical ones.

No, HRT does *not* cause breast cancer. That issue has been addressed by the top hormone docs in the world. What you are most likely referring to, is the Women's Health Initiative from 2002 or 2003, when the ONLY HRT used in the study, was Premarin-which is a synthetic combo of 17 estrogens derived from HORSE URINE and Progestin-a synthetic progesterone. A catastrophic, poorly done study.

Once the recs changed away from routine HRT, breast cancer rates dropped dramatically in the post-menopausal population. Although correlation does not prove cause, in this case the timing correlation was so dramatic across such a big population that epidemiologists consider it conclusive.

Jennifer, you obviously know better....why on earth are you trusting a doctor rather than your own knowing?

You can do the research. Women have survived an awful long time before aritificial hormones came along. We do not suffer from artificial hormone deficit....ever. I would suggest someone is getting rich from them. Probably not your doctors though- they are just plain brainwashed.

ETA- do some research on different cultures, diets and osteoporosis. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that the high rates of osteoporosis in western society is related to high meat/protein consumption. Eat lots of greens instead. Women in cultures that dont eat lots of meat and dairy, and do eat lots of greens and have a plant based diet, have far less osteoporosis.

You simply have to do your own research.

Edited by Peela

I think I would have a bone density test before you take hormones just to see if your bones are healthy. I went through a premature menopause at 37, and my bone density test showed I have osteopenia (step before osteoporosis). I got on hormone replacement therapy bc the drs. and I felt I was just too young to be without the protection of estrogen. -Also, I am very high risk for osteoporosis. I don't know how old you are, or what your bone density is, but keep in mind that if you do want to use HRT, there are lots of different types of estrogen out there. I really like the one I'm on- Enjuvia. It's not bioidentical, but it's not made from horse urine either. I feel sooooo much better on hormones!!- But I'm also in my 30s! As far as the cancer risk, my dr. said the amount of estrogen in the pills is much less than what my body should be producing on its own right now anyway. Definitely take your calcium pills and exercise- lifting weights is good.

No kidding! I wouldn't take hormones unless it's absolutely and completely necessary. That's been disproven. Excercise and lets say a calcium pill for osteoporsis. I assume you have no other underlying problems?

I would ask your doctor about high dose Vitamin D3 along with blood levels to check your levels. I read one study that showed that high dose Vitamin D3 reduced the risk of hip fracture in falls in the elderly by 25%. Vitamin D3 is also helpful in other areas of our health such as heart, lung, and brain health.

I have found medscape.com and webmd.com to carry reliable medical info as a nurse. I also have found mayoclinic web site useful.

As far as hormones, I have not researched it enough since I am not there yet:tongue_smilie: However, I have read many negative articles on hormones. Again, check out those web sites listed above and I always recommend second opinions:)

I concur completely with Carol. Unless you have early menopause for certain reasons- i.e. hysterectomy at 30, etc or you don't have any risk factors for heart diseases or breast cancer, I would definitely not recommend HRT. If you are at high risk for osteoporosis, there are much better drugs and therapies with less side effects. The whole HRT therapy started because of a hypothesis that wasn't tested- women before menopause have a lot lower risk of heart attack than women after so lets give women HRT. They gave women these for many years before anybody tested the validity of the hypothesis. It turned out to be invalid. Just like BC pills increase your risk of blood clots (and heart attacks are blood clots or plaque buildup in your heart) so do the similar hormones in HRT. I am not menopausal yet but do have osteopenia. I take mega doses of Vit D once a month, do weight bearing exercise, and take in lots of calcium. (Oh and the biggest risk of heart disease is family history, not High blood pressure, obesity, or high cholestrol). I eat olive oil, fish and nuts to help with my heart.

If your bone density is low, proper doctors would prescribe a bone forming medication. Those do work.

Once the recs changed away from routine HRT, breast cancer rates dropped dramatically in the post-menopausal population. Although correlation does not prove cause, in this case the timing correlation was so dramatic across such a big population that epidemiologists consider it conclusive.

The "routine" way of HRT was Premarin w/Progestin. Female human bodies were not meant to have several estrogens from horses invade their bodies. The *drop* was of the drug: Premarin. I am not surprised at all that cancer levels went down wihth the decline of administering Premarin.

I am looking forward (though not counting on it soon!) to current studies that involve hormones that are bio-identical to a woman's body.

I have yet to hear of any epidemiologists to already come to any conclusions surrounding HRT. All previous studies have been *so* poorly done.

Jennifer, you obviously know better....why on earth are you trusting a doctor rather than your own knowing?

You can do the research. Women have survived an awful long time before aritificial hormones came along. We do not suffer from artificial hormone deficit....ever. I would suggest someone is getting rich from them. Probably not your doctors though- they are just plain brainwashed.

ETA- do some research on different cultures, diets and osteoporosis. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that the high rates of osteoporosis in western society is related to high meat/protein consumption. Eat lots of greens instead. Women in cultures that dont eat lots of meat and dairy, and do eat lots of greens and have a plant based diet, have far less osteoporosis.

You simply have to do your own research.

I agree that money AND big pharma are a huge factor in how women are treated in every aspect concerning healthcare.

However, I don't really agree that we women are just fine when it comes to hormones-nor do I think men are just fine. Here in the U.S., our food supply is greatly tainted with artificial hormones which greatly effect our own hormonal functions. This comes from dairy cows that are pumped full of hormones to the over-selling/pushing of soy products available in every form-soy effects our receptor cites as they function as phytoestrogens-our bodies often don't know the difference, therefore they consume soy as more, more, more estrogen. Not good.

No kidding! I wouldn't take hormones unless it's absolutely and completely necessary. That's been disproven. Excercise and lets say a calcium pill for osteoporsis. I assume you have no other underlying problems?

Vitamin D3 is actually the preferred vit/supplement to prevent Osteo-though the dairy association would like us to think differently.

I concur completely with Carol. Unless you have early menopause for certain reasons- i.e. hysterectomy at 30, etc or you don't have any risk factors for heart diseases or breast cancer, I would definitely not recommend HRT. If you are at high risk for osteoporosis, there are much better drugs and therapies with less side effects. The whole HRT therapy started because of a hypothesis that wasn't tested- women before menopause have a lot lower risk of heart attack than women after so lets give women HRT. They gave women these for many years before anybody tested the validity of the hypothesis. It turned out to be invalid. Just like BC pills increase your risk of blood clots (and heart attacks are blood clots or plaque buildup in your heart) so do the similar hormones in HRT. I am not menopausal yet but do have osteopenia. I take mega doses of Vit D once a month, do weight bearing exercise, and take in lots of calcium. (Oh and the biggest risk of heart disease is family history, not High blood pressure, obesity, or high cholestrol). I eat olive oil, fish and nuts to help with my heart.

If your bone density is low, proper doctors would prescribe a bone forming medication. Those do work.

Again, when you say, "these hormones..." you are referring to synthetic Premarin-something completely foreign to a woman's body. That itself does not encompass proper replacement of a woman's missing hormones. And, women can be deficient in hormones for many reasons.

There has been no connection between bio-identical hormones and heart disease, cancers,blood clots, etc..

I agree that money AND big pharma are a huge factor in how women are treated in every aspect concerning healthcare.

However, I don't really agree that we women are just fine when it comes to hormones-nor do I think men are just fine. Here in the U.S., our food supply is greatly tainted with artificial hormones which greatly effect our own hormonal functions. This comes from dairy cows that are pumped full of hormones to the over-selling/pushing of soy products available in every form-soy effects our receptor cites as they function as phytoestrogens-our bodies often don't know the difference, therefore they consume soy as more, more, more estrogen. Not good.

I agree and I should have been clearer. People are having hormonal troubles undeniably....artificial hormones are a band aid at best, and very dangerous at worst.