Menu

Quick Poll Please for 2nd Grade

Guest lahmeh

Which would you do for 2nd grade?  

1. 1. Which would you do for 2nd grade?

• Rod and Staff: Reading, English & Spelling
    • AAS, WWE, GWG & Sonlight Readers

I have a second grader. Neither is exactly what I would do, but right now we're doing R&S grammar, WWE, many Sonlight readers, and SWO. We're switching to AAS in the Spring though. My dd is a natural speller, but I'm going to combine both kids in AAS soon.

However - I don't have any experience with R&S for anything besides grammar, so I'm probably not a good one to discuss the relative merits of either plan. I've been very happy with our Language Arts approach though.

I should break this down by semester...

Summer/Fall:

CLE LA 200

Singapore Math 1b, 2a

Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day

Sonlight Core 1

Sonlight Readers 2 Interm/Adv

HWOT Cursive

Map Skills 2

Suzuki violin

Piano

Winter/Spring:

Writing with Ease

Music of the Hemispheres

Grammar Island (Thanks, People)

Singapore Math 2b, Kumon workbook review of math

Mind Benders

Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day

Stratton House Science - the microscope one

Sonlight Core 2

Sonlight Readers 2 Advanced - finish up

HWOT Cursive - finish up

Map Skills 2 - finish up

moving from Violin to Cello

Piano

#2 choice is almost exactly what I'm doing with my 2nd grader. We just don't use the SL readers. We just read classical, historical or science related literature. The other choices we use and like! However, I do have to say with my younger two I'm going to start with FLL and see how that goes. Mostly because my ds5 has a difficult time with fine motor. The other kids are all good with writing and I decided to stick with GWG for them. (Although, I have to say that I like GWG because it doesn't require a lot of writing... just right I think.)

I tried CLE up to LU 106. I ended up skipping so much and choosing bits and pieces I decided we needed something else. I've bought and sold FLL. I can't put my finger on it but I just like GWG better. I've already purchased it...just haven't used it yet. I also have AAS and WWE ready to use. I was just thinking R&S would be easier...maybe? Reading sooo many reviews lately on R&S it seems most who have used it love it.

I can't imagine doing all R&S--I love the parts of R&S we've used, and I'll add in more parts, but I couldnt' do it all. Same with CLE.

R&S Grammar--excellent; we did Grade 2 last year, and we'll do Grade 3 next spring or fall. WWE--love it. We do the SL readers, but I also do Pathway with workbooks because I don't feel like I can pull all of the reading comp, etc out by myself. Your spelling choice--I know nothing about. We're using R&S and it's fine; DS is a good speller so I haven't spent a whole lot of time and effort finding the perfect spelling program--easy and good has been my criteria.

Betsy

Here's what our 2nd grade year will look like:

R&S English

AAS

ETC

WWE

A mix of readers - Nora Gaydos, Primary Phonics, some SL and whatever else might be sitting on our shelves or avail at the library.

We are using AAS now and LOVE it! My son actually looks forward to doing his spelling everyday.

Neither. I tried the R&S option and it was too much/too boring.

What I am doing with my 2nd grader is:

listening to her read

when she is stuck on a word, I write it out letter by letter as she makes the sounds

I read the Ruth Heller Grammar Picture books to her

copyscribe copywork books

Spell to Write and Read

What we have tried that worked so-so:

a word wall and word bank

Montessori grammar boxes (she needs to be able to read the words to sort them)

Rod and Staff phonics, reading workbooks and readers (they move too fast)

What we are going to do when we restart:

Oak Meadow (which includes listening to her read either their readers or books from the library)

work slowly through the SWR lists doing the enrichment activities

I hope you figure it out. :001_smile:

I believe Mennonites/Anabaptists would reject being classed as "Protestants".

Bill

Well, they're not Catholics or Eastern Orthodox Christians. Wikipedia states: "These forerunners of modern Mennonites were part of the broad reaction against the practices and theology of the Roman Catholic Church known as the Protestant Reformation." If they were part of the Protestant Reformation, wouldn't that make them Protestants? :confused:

For LA my 2nd grader is using

WWE

Seton English for grammar and as a LA catch-all

ETC

A spelling workbook that mysteriously found its way to my bookshelf, is it ACSI Spelling? Not worth remembering in any case.

We needed a little change from Seton and WWE so now dd is using PLL. I like all of them and will return to WWE and Seton when we we feel like another change.

I love ETC. I recommend it, but you may not need it if you'll do AAS.

Choice #2 would appeal to me more. I'm doing 2nd grade for the third time this year. Two things I've used each time are FLL and Sonlight readers. Of course, this is coming from someone who's switching to CLE LA and Reading (though my second grader won't start it until he's in 3rd grade).

Blessings,

Laura

Thank you everyone for your replies! I want to use the reading from Rod and Staff most of all for the same reasons apCrazy4Jesus said so maybe I'll go with that and AAS, WWE and GWG. :D

I believe Mennonites/Anabaptists would reject being classed as "Protestants".

I've never heard that before, and I've studied Anabaptists and Mennonites and attended Bible studies in their churches and had pre-Baptism classes in one. I have it from a Brethren preacher with a PhD in his field that Anabaptists are a subclass of Protestants. All the Mennonites I've known have been pretty proud of their protesting ancestors, actually.

I've never heard that before, and I've studied Anabaptists and Mennonites and attended Bible studies in their churches and had pre-Baptism classes in one. I have it from a Brethren preacher with a PhD in his field that Anabaptists are a subclass of Protestants. All the Mennonites I've known have been pretty proud of their protesting ancestors, actually.

I dunno. I have Swiss-German Anabaptist ancestors who fled persecution by Reformed Calvinists, and came to the "New World" in the eighteenth-century.

I've always known Anabaptists to think of themselves as a "third way", neither Protestant (and part of the Radical Reformation rather than the Protestant Reformation) not Catholic.

Maybe we need a "spin-off" thread?

Bill

I voted for R&S, but I do love Peacehill Press products too.

I haven't used the reading books from R&S at all though. Once my kids are on their feet running with reading I just have them read to me from a real book that is slightly challenging to them.

My ideal is FLL for the first few grades, then moving to R&S English after that, and R&S spelling. We use/used Phonics Pathways for reading lessons until they no longer needed phonics instruction, then did the reading to me as described above.

eta: The writing my kids do is in line with TWTM suggestions, so I imagine it's similar to WWE. I pull it from their reading, history or science.

Edited by SilverMoon

I just did copywork, dictation, and narration with my children from the books they read. I did not really bother with formal language arts of any kind until third grade. It did not hurt any of my children. They always tested well with grammar on the IOWAs.

I am currently using for my younger son FLL3. He is in 4th grade. I personally started him with a living book called Grammar-land. I got it from google books for free. My son loved it. All of the programs that you mentioned are excellent programs. I think that if you look at them from a purely academic stand they hold up very well. I think that if you look at the style of how each is done, it might help you to better decide.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony