Menu

If you are tall, where did you buy maternity clothes and have success?

I am very tall, and also found that the choices were limited. I tended to stick with a couple of pairs of casual pants and long, loose tops over them. Also, you can buy large/long skirts that aren't maternity wear, and wear them so the waist band is down low under your baby bump. (I'm sitting here now wearing a long skirt that fitted low slung during pregnancy and fits my waist now.) You just need to make sure your top/shirt is long enough if you don't want visible belly. If you can't find long enough tops you like, try short but loose dresses that you can wear as tops instead. If you are reasonably broad shouldered and/or large busted (as opposed to tall but Twiggy-shaped) you might even find that clothing from the larger women's ranges is more comfortable than actual maternity wear.

Thanks everyone. I've looked at Gap, but can't seem to find the size I need in the style I want. I tried JCPenney tonight and ordered some things. Hopefully, they'll work. I do have some tops from Target and they aren't too bad. Pants/jeans are the biggest headache, especially pregnant.

I had a lot of trouble finding clothes I liked b/c I'm 5-9, a size 14 before pg and NOT into feminine, cutesy pg clothes. I wanted t-shirts/casual tops and jeans for everyday wear, and it was a real struggle to find them in my size/height. So, I improvised. I bought men's Levi's jeans that fit in the legs/hips, and had a friend sew an elastic panel in the front for me -- basically from hip bone to hip bone. This way, I could buy loose-fit Levis with a 34 inch inseam, but make them work for me as my belly grew. I had two pairs, and wore them OUT. ;-)

In terms of tops, have you seen a "Bella Band?" It's a stretchy tube that you put it over your waist area. Then, put a top over it. The elastic band makes it look like you're wearing a layered top, and you get the extra couple of inches in length. :) http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Be-Mine-Maternity-Belly/dp/B000NDCHNW

Here's one with a lace hem: BELLA%20BANDS%20-%20LACE%20EDGE.jpg

They also make long camis that you could wear under a shirt that's not as long as you'd like.

HIH,

Lisa

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This thread is four years old.  I am pretty sure the OP is no longer looking for maternity clothes :001_smile:

It's quite possible that she recently gave away every single piece of maternity clothing, and that this action resulted in a surprise pregnancy. I've heard that this happens.

This thread is four years old.  I am pretty sure the OP is no longer looking for maternity clothes :001_smile:

I wouldn't be so sure! 

However, she might no longer be tall!

For what it's worth my mom bought me some pants from Target, whatever that Liz whoever, I think, that were stretchy and awesome with no awful band. I also found a bunch of shirts for a few dollars on clearance at Kohl's. 

It's quite possible that she recently gave away every single piece of maternity clothing, and that this action resulted in a surprise pregnancy. I've heard that this happens.

Indeed.  This has happened to me.

A friend of mine kept ALL her baby stuff as some sort-of superstitious insurance against another pregnancy.

I am so frustrated with trying to find maternity clothes that fit right, especially pants/jeans and long enough tops. Also, what's up with all the tight stuff????

Gap is the best for tall women. They have the tall option in all of their maternity pants, and they are the most comfortable.