Menu

New here and frustrated with the school system

Guest Autumn

I've been considering homeschooling, but for right now afterschooling seems like the next logical step.

My son, Jaedon is a very young Kindergartner; he made the cutoff by 5 days. He entered Kindergarten reading at a third grade level and doing math at a second grade level. In these two subjects he learns NOTHING in school, yet only receives 'S' on his report card for them (satisfactory; on par with the class) He doesn't get 'E' because he refuses to do the 'baby' work (as he calls it) that they do in class.

His teacher can't assess him because he 'passed' kindergarten curriculum at his first assessment. She borrowed a math test from a second grade teacher just to find out what she could teach him...that was two months ago and she has yet to teach him anything.

After much effort on my part (and the school's gifted teacher) the school has agreed to place him into first grade for reading started after winter break.

The didn't want to place him before because he has behavior issues. MOST of his issues stem from him being bored with the work. He's bored because he learned all of this 2 years ago and should be placed in a higher grade...they won't place him because of his behavior...it's a vicious cycle.

Anyway, since the district won't test kindergarteners for the gifted program until the end of the year, he's stuck sitting in his class all day being bored or doing busy work (advanced work on his level but with absolutely no guidance).

He's told me that he's frustrated with school because all the other kids are learning something and he's not.

So here we are. I'm on the fencepost about homeschooling as I think the social aspects of school are good for him (he's never really been around other kids), but the curriculum is lacking. So we are going to try afterschooling and homeschooling during holidays and summer vacation.

I am a diehard homeschool fan, so just take what I say with a grain of salt. But it seems to me that leaving him in school where he hates it and isn't learning anything, and then homeschooling on his "off" time from school would be drudgery. Why keep him in school at all? Why not homeschool him and get him involved in some social group? Maybe a community children's choir, or karate lessons, or something where he'd be around other children. Children don't have to be in school to socialize. Put together a play group once a week, and involve him in other things. It seems like if you are teaching him after school and on the holidays that that's when he's doing the learning. His time at public school would just be wasted and frustrating all for the sake of "social time". I think it's easier to homeschool and create that social time than vice versa.

Anyway, whatever you decide, I wish you all the best!

Smiles,

Shalynn

I am a diehard homeschool fan, so just take what I say with a grain of salt. But it seems to me that leaving him in school where he hates it and isn't learning anything, and then homeschooling on his "off" time from school would be drudgery. Why keep him in school at all? Why not homeschool him and get him involved in some social group? Maybe a community children's choir, or karate lessons, or something where he'd be around other children. Children don't have to be in school to socialize. Put together a play group once a week, and involve him in other things. It seems like if you are teaching him after school and on the holidays that that's when he's doing the learning. His time at public school would just be wasted and frustrating all for the sake of "social time". I think it's easier to homeschool and create that social time than vice versa.

Anyway, whatever you decide, I wish you all the best!

Smiles,

Shalynn

:iagree:

He's only learning to hate learning. My kids are 7 and 4 and we have to turn down social opportunities because there are so many to go to. Plug into a homeschool group or church group or just invite his current friends over on the weekends.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. You're right, he loved school when it started, but now he tells me that he only likes homeschooling. I'll give it a little bit longer, to see how sending him to first grade for reading works out, but I'm pretty sure now that I'll definitely be homeschooling for first grade anyway.

I heard from someone that here in Arizona, if you homeschool your child can still take the elective classes at public school (art, music, PE), which is a plus if that's true.

I'm just afraid that I'll miss teaching him something that he needs know...KWIM?

Does anyone use the k-12 public school online? I started looking into that...

oh- I'm not sure about the mission statement...it's pretty long but all that stands out is being dedicated to learning...

Edited by Autumn
additional info...

I'm just afraid that I'll miss teaching him something that he needs know...KWIM?

Consider this: is it better for him to spend most of his days where he is learning little because it is not at his appropriate learning level than for him to be home where you "might" miss teaching him something he needs to know? ;)

He doesn't get 'E' because he refuses to do the 'baby' work (as he calls it) that they do in class.

Personally, I would not accept this excuse. If he is attending school, it is his duty to do the work assigned. If it is "baby" work, then it is no big deal to just do the page and have it done.

My dd is very bright and was miles ahead at K age; that is why I looked into homeschooling in the first place. It certainly is hard to beat!:D

He's only learning to hate learning. My kids are 7 and 4 and we have to turn down social opportunities because there are so many to go to. Plug into a homeschool group or church group or just invite his current friends over on the weekends.

Been there done that. Have they told you it all evens out in 3rd grade, yet? Mull that over :glare:

I was terrified to take the plunge, my son has become so much more confident, the social issues he had before are disappearing and my handsome wallflower is now becoming a leader and (dare I say it) outgoing. He has a greater sense of his own worth, and he loves, loves, loves learning.

:grouphug:

Ps is great, if you're in the flow to begin with. When you start off ahead, or even surge ahead, it becomes so difficult.

Consider this: is it better for him to spend most of his days where he is learning little because it is not at his appropriate learning level than for him to be home where you "might" miss teaching him something he needs to know? ;)

Very true, good point!

Personally, I would not accept this excuse. If he is attending school, it is his duty to do the work assigned. If it is "baby" work, then it is no big deal to just do the page and have it done.

You're right, and this is what we tell him. But his teacher has him bouncing back and forth between class work and 'his' work. He's not required to do all the class work if he does his work, but then he feels left out. So he gets: 'you don't need to do this work because you already know it...but I want you to do this other classwork that we are working on...you also need to do sit over there and do 'your' work, and don't get distracted while I read the class a story that you don't need to listen to.'

You might miss teaching him something along the way, but the schools will definitely miss things too. No one is perfect.

From my point of view, he is wasting a precious year of learning time where he could advancing and exploring and doing things that challenge him.

My goal for my kids isn't that we don't miss things (cause we will) it's that I teach them how to learn and where/how to find that missing information!! And that they love to learn so they seek out what they don't know. Once you have lost that it doesn't matter what they offer, he's not going to want to learn.

The longer he spends in school the more his interested in learning will diminish. The longer he is bored and unhappy in school the more he will be discouraged and let go of his natural desire to learn.

You can't do worse than they are doing right now - he's learning nothing. You could bring him home and do nothing and he'd be learning more.

The fact that he's reading and doing math already shows that you are doing a good job as a teacher.

Trust yourself and don't send him back!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. You're right, he loved school when it started, but now he tells me that he only likes homeschooling. I'll give it a little bit longer, to see how sending him to first grade for reading works out, but I'm pretty sure now that I'll definitely be homeschooling for first grade anyway.

I heard from someone that here in Arizona, if you homeschool your child can still take the elective classes at public school (art, music, PE), which is a plus if that's true.

Does anyone use the k-12 public school online? I started looking into that...

oh- I'm not sure about the mission statement...it's pretty long but all that stands out is being dedicated to learning...

We use some of K12.com's material and are happy with it. I'm not familiar with the pros and cons of the cyber school, though. If you post a question on the K-8 curriculum board, you should get some good information.

Although we afterschool (supplement would be a better word), I agree with the others that homeschooling is worth considering especially if your son likes it.

Are you sure that he does not get an "E" because the teacher doesn't give "E"'s until the end of the year? I had that with DD. It was frustrating and I got tired of hearing that as a reason to grade lower. I regret that I waited until she was in 3rd grade to let them stop holding her back. Although we did have some progress with a teacher in second grade, the rest just didn't seem to understand a gifted student. And they are only gifted one day per week when they go to the program. ;)

If you keep him in, then you need to ask the teacher to allow him to participate with group story time. Even if the book is below his level, he can still listen and enjoy it!

Oh, and we did Connections Academy online this past fall (I think it's a K12 competitor, similar methods). We are only quiting because the state isn't offering it for free starting in January and we couldn't pay the tuition :( . I'm excited to try my own thing in 2010. The online program helped us adjust to homeschooling and provided some accountability. It also has given me confidence that I can teach my children! I liked that we had teachers that I could question when the kids were not understanding something. The curriculum in Connections was challenging enough for my gifted DD in 4th grade. But we really only followed the text books which are the usual ones found in PS. There wasn't a lot of room to customize.

DS was using a program called Little Lincoln for 1st grade. He enjoyed the teaching videos and seemed to really learn a lot from them. But he just started reading a couple months ago. So I think it was about on-level for him and I can see how it might be too easy for a gifted child. It didn't take long to do each day so supplementing wouldn't be too hard. I'm not sure if K12's K class would be the same?

I think that if your district offers K12 for free, you really should consider it. Although the curriculum is just pretty close to public school curriculum so he might still be bored. :(

My kids are going to the PS for Art and Music starting in January. I can't teach those subjects. I tried to teach art and it was boring for both myself and my children. :p

It didn't take long to do each day so supplementing wouldn't be too hard. I'm not sure if K12's K class would be the same?

I think that if your district offers K12 for free, you really should consider it. Although the curriculum is just pretty close to public school curriculum so he might still be bored.

K12.com is not at all similar to most public schools' curricula. I would say it's close to being the antithesis of progressivist/constructivist curricula which many public schools use nowadays.

My son (7th grade) is advanced as well, and if we used all of the K12 material, he would have a hard time getting through it. We pick and choose what we use to supplement.

I'd suggest checking out their scope and sequence sections for the early grades to get an idea of what they teach. You could refer to this when considering other schools. You do have to give some personal information to access it, though.

http://www.k12.com/courses/k-8-courses/lang_arts_1/

I've been considering homeschooling, but for right now afterschooling seems like the next logical step.

My son, Jaedon is a very young Kindergartner; he made the cutoff by 5 days. He entered Kindergarten reading at a third grade level and doing math at a second grade level. In these two subjects he learns NOTHING in school, yet only receives 'S' on his report card for them (satisfactory; on par with the class) He doesn't get 'E' because he refuses to do the 'baby' work (as he calls it) that they do in class.

His teacher can't assess him because he 'passed' kindergarten curriculum at his first assessment. She borrowed a math test from a second grade teacher just to find out what she could teach him...that was two months ago and she has yet to teach him anything.

After much effort on my part (and the school's gifted teacher) the school has agreed to place him into first grade for reading started after winter break.

The didn't want to place him before because he has behavior issues. MOST of his issues stem from him being bored with the work. He's bored because he learned all of this 2 years ago and should be placed in a higher grade...they won't place him because of his behavior...it's a vicious cycle.

Anyway, since the district won't test kindergarteners for the gifted program until the end of the year, he's stuck sitting in his class all day being bored or doing busy work (advanced work on his level but with absolutely no guidance).

He's told me that he's frustrated with school because all the other kids are learning something and he's not.

So here we are. I'm on the fencepost about homeschooling as I think the social aspects of school are good for him (he's never really been around other kids), but the curriculum is lacking. So we are going to try afterschooling and homeschooling during holidays and summer vacation.

My son was in a similar situation in public kindergarten. He was not a behavior problem, but he already knew how to read so the teacher just sent him off to "read hard books." He didn't want to do the busywork in their "gifted" program, so he didn't try and was sent back to regular class.

When he came home in 3rd grade, I found he had gaps in his education. Even though a young child can teach himself to read, he can't teach himself everything. I found my son did a lot of memorizing, so he couldn't generalize his phonics sounds to unfamiliar words as well as he should. He never learned his alphabet in "order," so alphabetizing was impossible (and still isn't totally easy for him in 8th grade).

In hindsight, I wish I would have had him sit through the K lessons. There would have been bits of important information he could have caught early. He also would have learned earlier that it's not okay -- or even true -- to say, "I already know everything." He still has this behavior trait at times.

But in hindsight what I REALLY wish is that I would have brought him home in K :)

Julie

I'd pull him out. He's too young to have his life wasted that way. Were it me, I wouldn't send him back after winter break. Anything you do with him is going to be better than what he's getting in school. And you don't have to have it all perfect from the start. Homeschooling is a journey, not a destination.

Tara

hi autumn -

it sounds like you've done a great job so far, and if he is working at a grade 3 level now, that would give you two years of homeschooling to hit your stride! it is such a lovely age to homeschool!

have fun!

ann

My son attends a K12 public cyber school. I find it to be geat and classical-like. So far, it seems to use many of the suggestions of the TWTM. I also find it to be rigorous in a good way. For example, the lessons in history encourage narration and starts with a 4 year cycle of ancient history. Language arts uses good, classics for reading and uses narration, discussion, dictation and a strong base of phonics, spelling, and grammar. Math is not fuzzy math and uses traditional algorithms. Science is comprehensive and uses experiments to explore different ideas.

I recommend asking detailed questions about mandatory online classes and testing, flexibility, expectations, and ability to progress at a quicker or slower pace through the curriculum. Lastly, I would do a search on K12 in th forums here since it has been discussed before.

Just as a thought, in many states kids don't even have to be enrolled in public schools until they're 7. Not sure how old your son is, but that may help ease your mind on not having him in public school until he's that old anyway. There are also lots of experts who think that boys on the young age of the cut off should wait a year before starting kindergarten. I realize your son is way advanced. But these are just a few thoughts to consider as possible reasons you might want to try homeschooling.

from another online forum (BabyCenter, perhaps?). Anyway, my son is quite similar to yours. My 2nd grader had met all of the school's 2nd grade goals by November but I didn't want to push him in with the 3rd graders due to his emotional maturity and the school didn't really have much to offer besides more busy work. He did his work because it was his 'job' but he was hating school.

I have yet to begin homeschooling (other than the normal day to day 'teaching moments' that arise) but he is actually excited to be challenged. My thought is that since he is already where the public school needs him to be for 3rd grade, how much harm can I do even if we get it all wrong at home? I can always send him back to public school in the 3rd grade if it's not a fit. I would say that you could at least give homeschooling a try and see if it works for your family.

Michelle

Hmmm... is this a bad statement? I think that around 3rd grade is where you can separate some things out... Which.. is why I think state school should start around 3rd:-)

Carrie

Her child is advanced. Ime, the school tries to make the parent feel better by letting them know their little darling will stagnate and then at third grade be at their peers' level. Yes, I do think that's a terrible statement.

Hi. Glad to see you searching home schooling forums for help. It's a great step ;)

First, I'll encourage you to home school. All the fears you have are normal and most everyone here can relate. In the end, there are many things to consider and it seems like you are witnessing the negative sides to the public school system. You will always be the foremost advocate for your son's education. If you don't home school, as much as I hate to say it, you'd better get used to it. The school's priority is not your son. It's the masses. Just how it works. (sorry if my strong realistic perspective is offensive to anyone. Just trying to speak plainly).

I will say a few things and hope they are received kindly and respectfully, as inteneded.

First, after 10+ years of teaching, I've learned a few things that I didn't really understand when my ds (now 14) was in K.

Academic ability and maturity are not created equally. Your son sounds intelligent, but perhaps the behavior issues are not really issues, but immaturity. You said he barely made the cut-off. Most boys, not all for sure, but I'd venture to say Most (and duck any tomatoes), most boys are not nearly as mature as they are capable at 5 or 6 years old. There is a reason the "model" does not allow for gifted in K. Most boys can't handle the academic intensity b/c they really just need to play, not b/c they are not smart enough. I'd encourage you, as a parent and teacher, make sure he's having fun. Don't let his 5th or 6th year of life be about reading and math levels. I can promise you, you'll regret it later. Let the boy play and enjoy the story. STOP the special work...and I am NOT an unschooler. I am a hardcore schooler, just in case anyone confuses that I'm saying academics are not necessary or important. (no offense meant. I love my unschooling friends).

Respectfully, you are expecting the System to work for your son's individual needs. I don't mean to be pessimistic, but the System was not designed to do this. The likelyhood of you ever being pleased with the school truly meeting both the academic and social needs of your son, seems dismal. Put plainly, you can't have it both ways b/c the System is not designed that way. Either he gets to work on a higher academic level when the teacher has the opportunity to single him out, or he gets to be a part of the storytime and doesn't get to do the work. As his teacher, I'd really want to help, but perhaps having an entire classroom and not just your son would not provide enough opportunity for that. Even with the best intentions, it is beyond difficult for a ps teacher to focus on the individual, advanced needs of one student. She probably doesn't have the time or materials to teach your son an entirely different curriculum. As home schoolers, we manage that b/c we only have a handful of students. As a ps teacher, if I had 20 students, I couldn't do it (and I'm one heck of a teacher ;) )

I feel your frustration in your posts and while lots and lots and lots of pushing on your part will eventually provide advanced academics, I just am not sure that, at least at this point, it seems to be helping him socially with classmates or administration.

If I were in your shoes, I'd pull him immediately. Spend the rest of K getting your ducks in a row and start off his first grade year at home. Once you've been in home school circles long enough, you'll see the "social" issue is nonexistant. Really, more of an urban legend in our world of modern home schooling.

I didn't mean to be a downer to you. I also don't want to diminish the ps System (even though I am not a fan, follower, or believer). The System is what it is and should you decide to keep him there, just be ready for the battle to continue....gifted program or not.

Autumn,

First, let me welcome you to these boards! If you are considering afterschooling and/or homeschooling your son, then come back here often. It's a great place to learn, grow, and discover what you really want for your child.

Now, about your situation with the school. I can sympathize, since my daughter is similar to your son. She is an early, avid reader -- and would be bored to tears (literally) in a typical K setting. This past year I called the Kindergarten registrar at our local school board. She was polite and helpful, but what she told me sealed the deal for us on homeschooling.

Basically, what she said was that there is no place for my child -- or any child who comes to K already reading, and certainly not for a child reading at an advanced level (4th or above). My daughter is and has been reading at this level, so I politely asked, "But what about a child who already reads very well? Say, at a 4th grade level? What will the teachers do with that child?"

The answer: "Well, around the end of October, the teacher will evaluate your student, and then determine which group to place her in."

I asked, "What happens from September to the end of October?"

The answer: "The students learn the routine, you know, where to hang up their coats, how to put things in their cubbies, and to line up."

Me: "Oh. Well... what happens AFTER the teacher evaluates my child in October? Are there any reading groups for advanced readers in Kindergarten?"

Answer: "No, not really. Our gifted program doesn't begin until third grade, so I don't really know what they would do with her."

It went on like this a while longer, but the bottom line was and is: There is no place for my child in a typical Kindergarten setting. She has learned too much at home. Ironic, isn't it? ;)

[sIDE NOTE: I don't blame the schools in any way -- they DO have to teach the other children to read, and this takes time. It's just that I don't want my daughter to be the unpaid teacher's aide, putting in a 40-hour week to teach others what she already knows. :toetap05: (That WAS the upshot of my investigation, i.e., we could always put her to work teaching the other kids. Not in so many words, but the implication was there. No thanks!)]

I've actually looked around for other placements -- even private, though we can not afford it -- but in the final analysis, the only thing that seems to make sense for us with our girls is to homeschool. I truly believe that they would be bored otherwise. My K'er would get VERY CRANKY......

Socially, they are fine being homeschooled, and probably better off in many ways. I think that if you begin to read some basic introductory books about homeschooling, the inevitable chapter on "Socialization" will provide answers to put your fears to rest. Cadam has (as always) a great point, too, in that a child who is acting out in school will get a reputation as a troublemaker -- and even young students will avoid playing with him. Your son might be better off socially at home, where he is really LEARNING and being LOVED, than if he is frustrated at school.

Ask yourself one question: In which environment has your son been able and willing and (usually) eager to learn? Home or school? If "home" is your answer, then home is your answer. KWIM?

Hope that helps!

The one other thing you can do to help your child should you wish for him to stay in the school is ask in writing for a comprehensive evaluation. That will get you IQ and achievement testing and some insight that will help the principal make decisions on how to meet his needs. It's quite possible that there are other fluent readers and they could all be placed in the same class next year, so they don't have to travel for reading. He could also work independently or work with a resource teacher in mathematics.

The other thing you need to do is get a read on this school's internal philosophy. Are all classes fully included ? Do they put their resources in special ed and the bottom 1/4, and ignore the top quarter? Do they walk around saying that they are 'there for the kids who REALLY need help'? Are the teachers prohibited from teaching anything but what the administration has directed (i.e. if the class has covered the basics, will they be going on or will math be over for the year?). If so, run away as your child is going to get nothing but the very basics and you're going to have to afterschool heavily no matter if you accept a grade skip or subject accelerate.

Some fun math games for home PC: Logical Journey of the Zoombinis, Clue Finders, Pajama Sam, Zoo Tycoon, Math Blaster 6-9, and Pit Droids. They'll all help with problem solving and spatial thinking as well as specific skills, and he'll have as much fun with them as he will with the right curriculum.

Edited by lgm

QUOTE]

Autumn,

First of all, welcome! :grouphug:

It sounds from your post that you are mostly looking for some ideas on making the best of the rest of the kindergarten year with ds in school and doing afterschooling. A lot of posters have encouraged you to pull him from school to homeschool--but your post basically says you're not ready to do that yet. Hence, the afterschooling board for your post. I am currently an afterschooler...but perhaps a homeschooler-at-heart.

I have been in your same situation. I have three children who have entered kindergarten quite advanced and I have struggled with similar frustrations. It is helpful to consider the teacher's viewpoint (as I've taught school, I tend to find this an important part) and also to determine what it is you would like to see happen with your ds. It sounds like the school is willing to accommodate to some degree--I'd consider that a blessing, indeed.

Just a few comments that I'd offer for you to consider:

--I've found it is most helpful to approach the teacher kindly and assume that you both want the same thing...to find ways to challenge your ds and help him to progress in his education. (I admit that I offer lots of praise and tend to 'brown-nose' a bit...just a little softening up before I enter with requests or suggestions)

--I've also found it helps to have ideas to offer rather than just expecting the teacher to come up with alternate activities. (For example, when my first ds was in kdg, a lot of what the kids did during math involved exploration of concepts ds already knew; I worked with the teachers to create file folder games/centers that my ds could use during this time; teacher recognized my ds needed more, she wanted to help, but didn't know what to do and had little extra time to do it)

--Perhaps you could purchase/provide an alternate curriculum for ds to use in a subject that you feel is the most needful; maybe a workbook type of curriculum that he could do independently (and bring home to you to go over together). You could provide books on a higher level so that he has something to read.

--Volunteer to come into the classroom & work with small groups (including your ds perhaps) so the teacher has a little extra time to work with varying levels; if nothing else, it is helpful to see how ds is really behaving and to see what they are really doing in class

--Consider that there are other things to be learned at this age/stage--while many here on these boards would disagree, I personally have seen my kids grow & progress in several ways in ps--certainly they would learn these at home also--but I guess what I'm saying here is that it is helpful to look at the positive things your ds will be gaining that are perhaps not academic.

--Sometimes in gifted education, it's better to branch out in enrichment rather than progressing faster/further. Make sure a strong foundation is being set in mathematics, phonics & reading...and then look for other ways you can challenge ds. For our kids, it was starting violin in kdg--our concern was that they weren't learning to face challenges in school..e.verything came easy to them. But having to tackle an instrument (or language or sport or skill) was our way of providing a challenge--providing an opportunity where they had to work at something and get frustrated and overcome it. So maybe it's not reading & math for your ds...but can you find another avenue for him to learn this?

--Help ds dive into one of his interests and become an 'expert'--he could then teach his class about it. Ask the teacher if he can be the 'storyteller' and read a novel aloud to the class. Have him create picture books about his interests to add to the class library.

--Is kdg half-day or full-day? If it is full-day, is there an option to switch to half-day? Half-day would allow him to have the experience but also give you time to work on things at home. If your school is willing, it helps to consider things that are perhaps 'outside the box.' (For example, I homeschooled my oldest last year...but he went to school on Fridays so he could go to recess, PE, orchestra & have school lunch :)...best of both worlds!) At one point, I considered keeping my kids home for the first hour of school and teaching math...then they could join the class after that. It all depends on the state, the school, the principal, etc. But it might not have to be all or nothing.

--I was also frustrated that gifted programming didn't begin until 3rd grade; we have since moved to a state where there isn't any gifted program, so my comment would be that you are very lucky to have a gifted teacher at the school!!! And it sounds like she is an advocate, so I think that is wonderful. Many times the gifted program is simply a pull-out for an hour or two a week, and so it may not even be what you're hoping for anyway.

--You can do a lot with afterschooling and homeschooling in the summer! Figure out which areas of the curriculum are lacking at your school and/or which areas you want to go above/beyond the curriculum and work on that at home. Don't try to do it all...especially as your ds is so young. One area that our ps is not doing enough of is writing. Using dictation & narration (as discussed in TWTM) is an easy, effective way to do this and it doesn't take too much time.

Wow...my few comments turned into quite an epistle. I hope something in there offers encouragement to you. I'd highly recommend TWTM and perusing these boards for more guidance on what to afterschool/homeschool. I've also found The Educated Child by William Bennett to be very helpful (as are the related books, What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know series...). Who knows, this year of afterschooling might be a perfect step toward homeschooling your ds next year! You've come to a great place for encouragement for either road you take.

(When my oldest ds was in kdg, it wasn't until March that he came home from school SO excited because he had finally learned something new!!! He was so thrilled to tell me what a trapezoid was! I often think back and wonder how things might have been different had I given homeschooling a chance back at the beginning...)

Just a thought, but if your only reason for attending school is for "socialization" think about the "socialization" he learning in school: behavioral problems related to being bored in class!