Menu

I want to read a good book

Can you enlighten a little more on genre and type of book you like? Obviously I know about Confederacy of Dunces, but not the others and thought it would save a look-up and be more accurate if you describe what you like.

:D

I like to pick different works of fiction, sometimes from Honey for a Woman's Soul. I love historical fiction, but really anything someone has read and loved. Someone on here recommended Kristen Lavransdatter, so I have that in my Amazon cart, but looking for other great reads before I decided.

Thanks!!

Lisa

Ok, now I have an idea of what you'd like. I also loved Guernsey Literary.

I just finished Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir - it's about the life and reign of Lady Jane Grey. I LOVED it. It's a fiction book, but the author is a well known non-fiction historical writer and so I felt like the book was accurate.

I've just begun The Illuminator. Set in feudal 1300's England. I'm an Anglophile through and through. So far it's quite good.

I also recently read The Book of Splendor, very, very good. And People of the Book - excellent about an ancient Jewish book through generations.

I am still waiting for The Thirteenth Tale from the library, it's supposed to be excellent, about an author who makes up her life story several times.

One I just picked up at the library today is Portrait of an Unknown Woman by Vanora Bennett. Had to get it as it came in off hold and I might just drop The Illuminator to start it!

Also on my list to read: (I keep a list to look for books when I go to the library)

The Hummingbird's Daughter - about 1800s Mexico

Beneath a Marble Sky - about the Taj Mahal

Lavinia - by Ursula LeGuin, about Troy and Rome

Blood of Flowers - about 17th c Iran

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - about WWII Japanese Americans

Gift of Rain - abt China

When we were Gods - abt Cleopatra

HTH!:D

I just read Dissolution by CJ Sansom. It is a historical mystery than takes place in Tudor times. The sleuth is a hunchback lawyer named Mathew Shardlake. I just began the second in the series today, and I think there are four books as of now. I asked for the rest of them for Christmas. Now to see if hubby was listening.........He will probably forget the titles and just get me a gift card for Amazon.:glare:

Edited by sarawatsonim

Ok, now I have an idea of what you'd like. I also loved Guernsey Literary.

I just finished Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir - it's about the life and reign of Lady Jane Grey. I LOVED it. It's a fiction book, but the author is a well known non-fiction historical writer and so I felt like the book was accurate.

I've just begun The Illuminator. Set in feudal 1300's England. I'm an Anglophile through and through. So far it's quite good.

I also recently read The Book of Splendor, very, very good. And People of the Book - excellent about an ancient Jewish book through generations.

I am still waiting for The Thirteenth Tale from the library, it's supposed to be excellent, about an author who makes up her life story several times.

One I just picked up at the library today is Portrait of an Unknown Woman by Vanora Bennett. Had to get it as it came in off hold and I might just drop The Illuminator to start it!

Also on my list to read: (I keep a list to look for books when I go to the library)

The Hummingbird's Daughter - about 1800s Mexico

Beneath a Marble Sky - about the Taj Mahal

Lavinia - by Ursula LeGuin, about Troy and Rome

Blood of Flowers - about 17th c Iran

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - about WWII Japanese Americans

Gift of Rain - abt China

When we were Gods - abt Cleopatra

HTH!:D

Oh my gosh, my Amazon cart is so full now! I honestly don't know which one I'm going to start first. Thanks for all the great suggestions. The Illuminator looks very good. BTW, have you read Pillars of the Earth? It's set around the same time, I think.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Lisa

I haven't started this yet, but I have a dear friend who INSISTS I read The Book Thief (can't remember the author right now). It can be found in regular literary fiction and teen fiction. She said it is the best book she's ever read, and she is an avid reader. I trust her opinion explicitly.

I read The Thirteenth Tale and really liked it. It's serious, and some say depressing, but I really enjoyed the main character's story. I asked for The Help for Christmas.

Other than that, I'm really fond of Jodi Picoult's books, so I usually recommend her. Nineteen Minutes, My Sister's Keeper, and Second Glance are my favorites.

Oh my gosh, my Amazon cart is so full now! I honestly don't know which one I'm going to start first. Thanks for all the great suggestions. The Illuminator looks very good. BTW, have you read Pillars of the Earth? It's set around the same time, I think.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Lisa

Lisa, I have not yet read Pillars. It's on my bookshelf right now. It's just so huge that it's intimidating me. I'm just worried I don't have that kind of time! I'm one of those people that can read until 4am if a book is good enough. I have to force myself to stop reading. I also have A Suitable Boy and am intimidated by that one too!:001_huh:

Happy reading!!! BTW, most, if not all, of my suggestions are at my library. Can you try that route? I know I'd never be able to afford to read 1/2 as much as I do without the library!

Lisa, I have not yet read Pillars. It's on my bookshelf right now. It's just so huge that it's intimidating me. I'm just worried I don't have that kind of time! I'm one of those people that can read until 4am if a book is good enough. I have to force myself to stop reading. I also have A Suitable Boy and am intimidated by that one too!:001_huh:

Happy reading!!! BTW, most, if not all, of my suggestions are at my library. Can you try that route? I know I'd never be able to afford to read 1/2 as much as I do without the library!

Oh please, please, read Pillars and don't let the size discourage you. It's one of the few books I re-read every 5 years or so. It is sooooo good.

Blessings,

Lisa

I just read Mao's Last Dancer, an autobiography by Li Cunxin, who grew up during China's Cultural Revolution. At age eleven he was chosen to study ballet in Beijing...far away from his family. It was an enjoyable and VERY interesting read that I have been recommending to everyone.

I've had that recommended to me, but haven't read it yet!

As for the OP, here are some books (some repeats from previous posters too) I recommend:

"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak

"Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster" by Jon Krakauer

"Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett

"Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides

"The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova

"The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell

"People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks

"Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert

"Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanely & Livingstone" by Martin Dugard

"The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls

"Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" by Dai Sijie

"1776" by David McCollough

"I, Claudius" by Robert Graves

"The Daughter of Time" by Josephine Tey

"The Beekeeper's Apprentice" by Laurie R. King

"The Professor and the Madman" by Simon Winchester

"Daughter of Fortune" by Isabel Allende

"Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel

Books I've read in the past 2 weeks:

Graceling - YF fantasy, 1st in series, 2nd book comes out in January

Demon Ex Machina - adult fantasy, but clean enough for teens, 5th in series

Cybermage - YF fantasy, 3rd in series

Skies of Pern - adult fantasy, many books in series, can't even figure out how far out this one is

Weyrs of Pern - adult fantasy, many books in series

Malice - JF fantasy, 1st in series

Down the Rabbit Hole - YF mystery

I read a mix of fantasy and sci fi. Occasionally I read books in other genres, but most of what I read is fantasy/sci fi.