Menu

from a Baptist point of view???

thowell

As some of you know we are in our first year of HS. As we are plugging along I am trying to get my plans laid out for next year. This year has been all over the place. I have decided to teach the girls dd6 and dd9 together as much as possible. I love the looks of TOG and MFW and others, here is the problem. We are Independent Old-Fashion Baptist and dh is very steadfast that I not use curriculum written from a different religious point of view. Most programs I am finding are from a Reformed Protestant view. Does anyone know of a program like TOG or MFW that is written from a Baptist point of view. This would make me and dh happy. We were using AWOA but when dh realized it was written from a Calvanist side he had us stop using it. I am fine with it but dh is the boss! lol! So ladies have any ideas?!?!

Dorian, author of AWOA is not Calvinist. I emailed her personally years ago and she told me that she does not agree with that theology. I am from a Independent Baptist background as well and have not found anything objectionable in any of the Learning Adventures books. I do understand your dh's feelings. Seems most hs curricula are either secular or Reformed. Maybe he would feel at ease with one of the Anabaptist variety. Though not unitstudies they are not Reformed either. There is Rod and Staff, Christian LIght, and Pathway. Oh and for Independent Baptist there is ACE (also known as School of Tomorrow).

Thowell, have you guys talked through what you're actually looking for when you say "baptist"? I was saved in an independent, fundamental baptist church, went to a christian university of the same persuasion, receive Frontline magazine, etc. To say something is "calvinist" not baptist is sort of a misnomer, since a baptist is 2 parts arminian, 3 parts calvinist (to quote Spurgeon). Now if the author was a 5 point calvinist and I was using their Bible curriculum, SURE that would be a problem. Here are some things you might be looking for (just to get you thinking). You might realize you can cross some of them off them list.

-KJV only. This isn't important to us, but to some people it really is.

-only supporting people you agree with. I buy groceries everyday from people I don't agree with who support causes I don't like, so I'm sure not gonna be picky on homeschooling curricula. I support good people where I can, but if a catholic or whomever has something that is the best on the market, I still buy it. However you may feel differently. It's just something to talk through.

-uses your specific lingo or has your emphasis. Abeka, CLP, and BJU each do this, more so in certain subjects than others.

The reality is that many of the popular options (TOG, etc.) compile a bunch of secular resources and have the mom put a christian spin on it. There AREN'T a ton of distinctly christian resources (history texts in narrative form, etc.) outside the old faithfuls of Abeka, BJU, and CLP. You can go back a century to stuff written with a christian understanding, but that isn't quite the same as the explicitly christian materials we wish for. It's definitely a trade-off there, and there's definitely an argument to be made for chosing the distinctly christian text, even if you think something more secular might be "better". Chris Klicka, in his book "The Heart of Homeschooling," makes this argument.

I suggest you talk with him more about exactly what he's wanting, exactly what your options are, and what might work to give you the balance you want. For instance, if you use a particularly distinctively christian text as a spine (say the Abeka4 textbook, which would be great with your ages) and then flesh it out with lots of stuff or read it while doing the TT stuff, is that fine? Is the strongly creationist teaching of the apologia elementary science acceptable in spite of her eschatology or translation preference? (whatever that may be) You could do almost ANYTHING for elementary science and still be ready to go into the apologia or BJU junior high science in 6th or 7th, no problem. Does he object to say Usborne books and kits (fun, age-appropriate) at this age, even if there's no mention of evolution?

I just started reading again http://www.amazon.com/Ignite-Fire-Kindling-Passion-Christ/dp/1564767477 to examine where I am in this balance and see where we need to be. I think it's a constant process and something you just have to think through. You could simply do Abeka or BJU straight. Then you'd know exactly what you're getting, know that it's distinctively christian every day, every page. But is that what you want? If the materials don't fit your dc, if they're too hard or time-consuming to implement, if it's really not NECESSARY to beat them over the head with pedantic worksheets looking up Bible verses just to learn about the colors of the rainbow, then is that REALLY what you want?? Those things work well in a christian school, but many kids come out of christian schools apathetic. I've always thought there was something MORE I was looking for, something real, something caught not taught, something that went beyond the page and made me more important than the textbook. So yes, talk about the options and find things that fit. But ponder what it is you're doing as a family that balances out the times when a secular option is better. This works as a whole, not just one component at a time. You want to create a *balance* in your home where the overall effect is loving God, growing, reading the Word, etc., even if some of the components aren't explicitly teaching that.

We are pretty fundamentalist Baptist and have used MFW all the way through. There may be a book or two that I've disagreed with, but I just discuss what we believe with our children. In the TM's, MFW directs parents to share their theology with their children.

I don't think we'll ever find a curriculum that we agree with 100% of the time. Of course, I don't know anyone I agree with 100% of the time - including my wonderful dh.:lol:

find something more. When and if you do, let me know:) I'm also a Baptist, probably a fundamentalist, and have struggled too with finding a curriculum to fit our beliefs. I have used Calvert for years and supplemented it with other religious materials like BJU for reading and science. And yes, the problem with BJU, Abeka, and other Baptist curriculum providers is that the curriculum doesn't seem as satisfying or suitable for home use as Calvert or WTM so I'm having to cherry pick supplementary materials and spend hours on the WTM board to find tips and enrichment suggestions. It's hard for me to be eclectic as I don't like to plan or make decisions on what to use but if I want the "something more" then that's the way to go, I think.

the curriculum yourself and also have your dh look it over since he is involved which I think is great. Maybe you can try going to their websites which might also have message boards where you might be able to get a better idea of the beliefs the curriculum users have. I have several times over the years felt that this or that curriculum was the perfect one for me until I laid my eyes on it and then realized it was not for me. You need to consider not only the religious viewpoint of the author of the curriculum but also the way the subject is presented which might or might not suit your teaching style. I eventually ended up with a secular curriculum, Calvert, and supplement it with BJU for reading and science which seems to work ok. And I do reuse my old manuals. I understand that the new manuals are now more slanted towards evolution and diversity in their science and history books.

On the flip side...

I am actually a Calvinist and prefer a Calvinist slant, yet I have absolutely no problem using Abeka, BJU and CLE. So far I have not found any curriculum...even TOG which is supposedly reformed in theology...teaching full-blown in-your-face theology in their curriculum. The essentials of the faith are basically the same no matter what Christian curriculum you buy...whether you believe one is chosen, or one chooses...makes zero difference to the overall gospel presented in Christian curriculum.

Calvinists and Baptists believe the same in the essentials of the faith, and it's mainly the essentials that you will find in school curriculum.

As for curriculum from a decidedly "Independent Old-Fashioned Baptist" perspective, the best I know of would be Abeka. I personally don't like Abeka, which has zero to do with their theology, but it may be the only curriculum your Baptist lovin' dh will accept. ;) Like a pp mentioned, you can easily flesh out your history spine with some living books and encyclopedias. Basically make your own History curriculum around a Baptist-ish history spine.

Calvinists and Baptists believe the same in the essentials of the faith, and it's mainly the essentials that you will find in school curriculum.

And many Baptists are Calvinists, btw. ;) "Calvinism" is just a nickname for the Doctrines of Grace.

As for curriculum from a decidedly "Independent Old-Fashioned Baptist" perspective, the best I know of would be Abeka. I personally don't like Abeka, which has zero to do with their theology, but it may be the only curriculum your Baptist lovin' dh will accept. ;) Like a pp mentioned, you can easily flesh out your history spine with some living books and encyclopedias. Basically make your own History curriculum around a Baptist-ish history spine.
Abeka, BJU, ACE, Rod & Staff, and CLE all come from Dispensational, Arminian (or, for those who deny Arminius but instead call themselves a 3 or 4 point Calvinist) POV. However, those are all text/workbook curriculums. If you want something lit-based, I don't think you're going to find one that's labeled specifically as "Baptist".

I'm not sure why MFW wouldn't work for you? We found MFW in our search for a Christ-focused curriculum that wasn't denominational specific, as we were in the process of trying to decide what we believed. MFW has certainly fit that bill. They teach the Gospel throughout the curriculum, are very missions focused (the author and her family were missionaries in Russia for 8 years), and don't get into specific beliefs about baptism, eschatology, or any of that. They believe it's the parents' job to teach their children what they believe as to denominational specifics. But MFW definitely teaches the basic tenets of Christianity, that is, the virgin birth, Christ crucified, His Resurrection, His Deity, etc.

I attended an independent fundamentalist baptist private school. All the way through they used Abeka and Bob Jones. Abeka is from a conservative baptist bible college in Florida (Pensacola Christian College) and Bob Jones Press is from a baptist college in Greenville, SC (Bob Jones University). They're 2 of the oldest and most established bible colleges here in the south east. The curriculum is conservative evangelical and provides an integrated baptist / christian worldview in all subjects.

Both Abeka and Bob Jones curriculum are available and made specifically for homeschoolers as well.

Abeka Book - http://www.abeka.com/

Bob Jones - http://www.bjupress.com/page/Home

As far as lit based, I haven't seen anything yet that is as conservative as the abeka / BJU I grew up with. You may would have to make your own.

Edited by Coleroo

Here are three main points that I can think of that the Baptist churches that I grew up in (there are many flavors, ladies) disagree with Reformed:

~~We are saved by grace not just elected like we are the privileged chosen few.

~~God predestines all to be saved, but He gives us a choice to choose Him or deny.

~~America is not the new Israel.

I have not found a problem in the curricula that I mentioned above as far as these points are concerned. If these are your concerns then you should be safe with either of those.

Here are three main points that I can think of that the Baptist churches that I grew up in (there are many flavors, ladies) disagree with Reformed:

~~God predestines all to be saved, but He gives us a choice to choose Him or deny.

And not to get into a debate at all....but this is NOT what "Calvinists" believe. Aiy-yi-yi. :confused:

I have not found a problem in the curricula that I mentioned above as far as these points are concerned. If these are your concerns then you should be safe with either of those.

Whoa!! What??? I'm a Baptist who believes in the Doctrines of Grace and this is not correct at all. :confused:

but definitely on the more Armenian, KJV side than most. Teaching the Reformation and that period will be one of your toughest periods in history because there is little that covers the Anabaptist view unless you use one of the Mennonite curriculums like Rod and Staff or Christian Light, and I have issues with other aspects of their view of history.

Your best choices are going to be curriculum that is not highly scripted IMHO, where you have the opportunity to comment on your own beliefs. We used Sonlight for a number years, which is more "generic" Christian. Some say that it's "not Christian enough" because it doesn't have a lot of Christian commentary. I actually liked that though. My Father's World is similar, but I have issues with some of their books and wanted a schedule, but you could certainly substitute or work it to fit your beliefs. I've always pre-read every school book my children read anyway.

As some of you know we are in our first year of HS. As we are plugging along I am trying to get my plans laid out for next year. This year has been all over the place. I have decided to teach the girls dd6 and dd9 together as much as possible. I love the looks of TOG and MFW and others, here is the problem. We are Independent Old-Fashion Baptist and dh is very steadfast that I not use curriculum written from a different religious point of view. Most programs I am finding are from a Reformed Protestant view. Does anyone know of a program like TOG or MFW that is written from a Baptist point of view. This would make me and dh happy. We were using AWOA but when dh realized it was written from a Calvanist side he had us stop using it. I am fine with it but dh is the boss! lol! So ladies have any ideas?!?!

The author of TOG is reformed, but the curriculum is not. She sticks with the essentials of the faith in an effort to make the curriculum usable for most Christians. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work fine for your family unless you and your dh don't want to support authors whose views differ from your own.

Honestly, I think the most important thing, wrt to teaching your children from an "Independent Old-Fashioned Baptist" worldview, is that you, yourself, are very well-versed in your "Independent Old-Fashioned Baptist" beliefs. Even the most theologically accurate curriculum can be completely, if unintentionally, mis-taught by an under-informed teacher. (I've seen it done in Sunday School too many times: even using the curriculum put our by our denom, many teachers just don't know anything about Lutheran beliefs and pass on all sorts of errors :glare:; we need to catechise all our members better, but that's a whole 'nother issue.)

Conversely, a well-informed teacher can use any curriculum to teach their worldview - they will notice any errors as they come up, and can skip over them or use them as a teaching moment. Granted, it is nice to have a curriculum that is close enough to your beliefs so that you aren't correcting errors every other sentence (otoh, that's valuable training in critically analyzing beliefs - seeing whether ideas match up with your beliefs, what implications they have, etc.). But the essential thing is that *your* beliefs and worldview match what you want your dc to learn; your curriculum matching is just a bonus.

The author of TOG is reformed, but the curriculum is not. She sticks with the essentials of the faith in an effort to make the curriculum usable for most Christians. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work fine for your family unless you and your dh don't want to support authors whose views differ from your own.

:iagree:

I think this is a wonderful point. You are the teacher and have control over how the material is presented. As you become more experienced with hs'ing, you learn to do this more and more. Unless you plan to just read a "canned" script for every single lesson you teach, then you will learn to gauge what information to slide in from your own Bible readings or lessons, or what you might choose to present in a different way than the curriculum does. Also, the early years are ideal for the memorization of scriptures, and studying general facts from history, hearing beautiful literature read alouds, etc. All of the programs mentioned are excellent resources for this.

Another thought is this -- how much theology do you want to give your children when they are just at the grammar and logic levels? Most kids aren't ready for deep theological considerations until they are more into the rhetoric stage. I personally feel that there are some aspects that you could customize into a general Christian curriculum as you see fit, then move over to the deeper stuff when your dc are older.

Blessings,

Lucinda

wow you ladies are great! I went to do school come back and I have all these replies. To answer a few questions:

1st Are beliefs and Calvanism are diffenetly different.

When we were using AWOA the author quotes John Calvin alot, not sure how that can be missed.

I know there is Abeka, BJU, and I even looked into Landmark, but I wanted more of a Lit. style since girls love to read so much.

I am considering more and more going with a secular program withour any religous content and adding our own in.

The other problem as one mentioned is that I am not that sound in how to teach our own beliefs. Dh is in Bible college and has been led to preach so for him this is alot easier. I know what I believe and what I dont but am not sure how to always pass that along. I also am not sure I am ok with having to correct something I am using.

So I guess the answer is that there really isnt a good Lit, History program like TOG, KONOS, or MFW out there that follows our beliefs. Doesn't someone want to write one! lol So what are some great secular programs?

Ummm, maybe I am missing something but how does MFW not follow your beliefs? To what specifically are you referring to? I have several friends who are Baptist preachers (one who is a Professor at a christian college in Bible) and they use MFW with great success and are very pleased with it. I guess I am wondering what you have seen or heard?

Ummm, maybe I am missing something but how does MFW not follow your beliefs? To what specifically are you referring to? I have several friends who are Baptist preachers (one who is a Professor at a christian college in Bible) and they use MFW with great success and are very pleased with it. I guess I am wondering what you have seen or heard?

I'm not sure if it does or not that is what i am asking. It is listed as Protestant and we are not Protestant. There is a big difference but I have not had the chance to look at it so that is what I was asking is if this one or any others do follow the Baptist beliefs.

I'm not sure if it does or not that is what i am asking. It is listed as Protestant and we are not Protestant. There is a big difference but I have not had the chance to look at it so that is what I was asking is if this one or any others do follow the Baptist beliefs.

Protestant is not used as in the specific denomination of Protestants, but rather, the separation of Protestants (Baptist, Lutheran, etc.) from the Catholic tradition.

In other words, a general protestant, not the Protestant denomination.

hth

It is my understanding that there are a subset of Baptists that believe there was an unbroken line of people following orthodox Baptist beliefs from apostolic times till now. Thus they didn't come out of the Reformation - reforming Catholic doctrine - because they were always separate from the Catholics, and for that reason aren't Protestants, since they didn't come from a group that "protested" against Catholic beliefs, but from groups that existed outside all that.

???????

Protestant = any Christian that is not Catholic or Eastern Orthodox

Not necessarily, although that it is widely held misconception. Some Baptists (me included) do not identify ourselves as Protestant because the word protestant refers to the movement against the Catholic Church called the Reformation. Some Baptists do not hold to the belief that the Catholic Church was the true church that just needed reforming. They believe that God's true church has always existed and was never corrupted right from New Testament times, that there has always been a remnant of true believers and there has never been a need to "reform" the true church. Some good books to read on this topic are:

Are Baptists Reformed? by Kenneth Good

and

The Reformers and Their Stepchildren by Leonard Verduin

Well, technically, old fashioned Baptists are Reformed. The Baptist Confession of Faith of 1689 ;)

What I am guessing you're looking for is a modern flavor of Baptist commonly referred to as Dispensational Baptist. As others mentioned, ABEKA or Bob Jones curriculum would probably fit the bill.

I have not read your link yet but I do know that we are not part of the reformed church. We are Dispensationalists. And hold fast to a very old fashion way of worship. Thanks you for clearing that up for me. I confess i had to look it up to be sure. I am looking over Bob Jones I was just hoping for more of a unit study.

Not necessarily, although that it is widely held misconception. Some Baptists (me included) do not identify ourselves as Protestant because the word protestant refers to the movement against the Catholic Church called the Reformation. Some Baptists do not hold to the belief that the Catholic Church was the true church that just needed reforming. They believe that God's true church has always existed and was never corrupted right from New Testament times, that there has always been a remnant of true believers and there has never been a need to "reform" the true church. Some good books to read on this topic are:

Are Baptists Reformed? by Kenneth Good

and

The Reformers and Their Stepchildren by Leonard Verduin

This is correct! Although many do not know this about Baptist. Didnt mean for this to turn into a religious discussion.

I have not read your link yet but I do know that we are not part of the reformed church. We are Dispensationalists. And hold fast to a very old fashion way of worship. Thanks you for clearing that up for me. I confess i had to look it up to be sure. I am looking over Bob Jones I was just hoping for more of a unit study.

This is a confusing phrase because "old-fashioned" can mean a lot of different things. Perhaps it would be better if you could list your specific beliefs. I would describe my church's "way of worship" as very old-fashioned and Baptist and yet I think you and I do not agree on some major doctrinal issues. We sing hymns (no contemporary music) and we listen to sermons preached expositionally from the Bible. We do not have a "praise and worship" team, no drums, no drama, no dance, no topical preaching, etc. Can you see how the phrase I put in bold could be hard to interpret?

Not necessarily, although that it is widely held misconception. Some Baptists (me included) do not identify ourselves as Protestant because the word protestant refers to the movement against the Catholic Church called the Reformation.

All this is fine, however, the responses are to explain the use of Protestant in MFW.

This is a confusing phrase because "old-fashioned" can mean a lot of different things. Perhaps it would be better if you could list your specific beliefs. I would describe my church's "way of worship" as very old-fashioned and Baptist and yet I think you and I do not agree on some major doctrinal issues. We sing hymns (no contemporary music) and we listen to sermons preached expositionally from the Bible. We do not have a "praise and worship" team, no drums, no drama, no dance, no topical preaching, etc. Can you see how the phrase I put in bold could be hard to interpret?

i can undertsand and your church sound just like ours. We only sing hymns. The Word of God is preached in a literal sense from a KJV bible. I PM'd you.

They mean "Protestant" as in "Not Catholic or Orthodox".

I really don't see any reason why MFW wouldn't work for you. It sounds like it has everything you want. They will have you look up scripture and have you discuss it but they don't get into doctrinal stuff and generally prompt you to talk to your children about your beliefs on a topic or point of scripture. You can use any translation of the Bible you would like as they just give you references mostly.

They have a 30 day return policy. I think it would be worth it to you to order a package and see if it will fit your needs. If it won't you return it w/in 30 days, no harm done.

With a 6 yo and 9 yo you would either do Adventures which is American history and state study; or you would do Exploring Countries and Cultures which is geography, world view, missions and culture.

:iagree: Theology is left to the parents. Any Bible translation can be used- in fact, the first 3 years we used a Spanish translation ;).

All this is fine, however, the responses are to explain the use of Protestant in MFW.

I Agree and again that is what I was trying to find out. If someone is using this program or any other mentioned what beliefs do they teach? Is the term Protestant used in a general (non-Catholic sense) or are they from the church reformation? AWOA was listed as Protestant also but leaned toward The Reformed church. KWIM? This why I am confused especially with this being our first year I had no idea what I was getting into.

:iagree: Theology is left to the parents. Any Bible translation can be used- in fact, the first 3 years we used a Spanish translation ;).

You ladies posted while I was typing. I think this is a good idea. I want something that is focused on God but leaves the actually interpretaion of the word to me and DH. I will have to look again.

:iagree: Though I would add that TOG isn't afraid to introduce children to other religions. Now you can skip those parts, but at the same time I have found it to be good. When we read the stories of Ganesha when studying India, there is just no comparison to the Bible. It was faith building rather than challenging for both my children and I. Same with the Greek Myths. They are fun stories, which my kids like from a fairy tale point of view, but again don't stack up in our minds as a comparison to the Bible in any way.

If you prefer to shelter kids from these sort of ideas then you would have to modify TOG, WP (Winter Promise) and SL (Sonlight) to use their programs. I think MFW and Heart of Dakota are more conservative in the earlier years on these issues.

Even when I do agree with the author of the curriculum, you are still going to run into books that say things in a way that hits you wrong. We just take the time to have a discussion about it, when that happens.

Heather

You ladies posted while I was typing. I think this is a good idea. I want something that is focused on God but leaves the actually interpretaion of the word to me and DH. I will have to look again.

Which is exactly the point I've tried to make to you both in this thread and in another thread about TOG. There are several choices for you, dear lady, if you take this idea and run with it. :~)

Blessings,

Lucinda

I can, without a doubt, say that MFW uses "protestant" to mean non-catholic. No more and no less. You can use whatever Bible you prefer and it leaves discussion of theology to the parent. It is a parent-directed curriculum which means that they encourage parents to read the majority of work with the child so that they student is getting the theology and ideas from the parent. we like the NAS here so that's what we use although sometimes I use the NKJ for poetic passages.

I agree with Cadam in getting the TM and looking MFW over.

Thanks to all of you. I actually just got off the phone with MFW and the rep said basically the same things you all have stated. They try to leave interpretation up to the parent. They will be at a local convention over the summer so I will check it out then so I can actually have it in my hand. If anyone has any other ideas feel free to add. Thanks girls!

And not to get into a debate at all....but this is NOT what "Calvinists" believe. Aiy-yi-yi. :confused:

My baptist church just split...I mean ran off the preacher...I mean ENTIRE staff off and half the congregation because a few powerful people in that church did not understand what reformed folks really believe.

Sad.

I Agree and again that is what I was trying to find out. If someone is using this program or any other mentioned what beliefs do they teach? Is the term Protestant used in a general (non-Catholic sense) or are they from the church reformation? AWOA was listed as Protestant also but leaned toward The Reformed church. KWIM? This why I am confused especially with this being our first year I had no idea what I was getting into.

I answered this some on the first page. :) From my post on page 1:

I'm not sure why MFW wouldn't work for you? We found MFW in our search for a Christ-focused curriculum that wasn't denominational specific, as we were in the process of trying to decide what we believed. MFW has certainly fit that bill. They teach the Gospel throughout the curriculum, are very missions focused (the author and her family were missionaries in Russia for 8 years), and don't get into specific beliefs about baptism, eschatology, or any of that. They believe it's the parents' job to teach their children what they believe as to denominational specifics. But MFW definitely teaches the basic tenets of Christianity, that is, the virgin birth, Christ crucified, His Resurrection, His Deity, etc.
MFW is very evangelistic. (And most Calvinists are, too, btw. ;) )

We use MFW and love it. We are first and foremost Christians, but we are also Baptists. I don't like the denominational thing, but I guess Baptists are closest to what we believe in regard to how they interpret Scripture.

My dh is a KJV only man all the way. We just use the KJV for Scripture memorization. It is no problem whatsoever.

I think you would be very happy with it, but the best way to tell is to look it over from cover to cover. :001_smile:

I hope you are having a wonderful first year homeschooling. The blessings are so worth the hard work!

MFW is very evangelistic. (And most Calvinists are, too, btw. ;) )

:lol: Yes, like almost every major preacher of old!

It's shocking to me...SHOCKING...how illiterate most are to what true "Calvinist's" believe. Good grief.

We definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY believe in evangelism. Definitely.

It kinda ticks me off that what we believe is always so horribly misrepresented by those who don't know what they are talking about. :tongue_smilie:

For the record, most Calvinists are not hyper-Calvinists, just like most Baptists are not like the VERY arrogant huge Baptist church in my town that think they are the only ones who will be in heaven. Seriously. It's so bad that they evangelize believers...even pastors in other solid bible churches...because in their mind if one isn't going to their church, one is not saved! Gosh, If I were to believe that all Baptist's hold to that belief, I would never be able to use A Beka, BJU, CLE or the like...and I would have missed out on some fantastic curriculum. ;)

:leaving: Sorry. Just had to get that off my chest.

It's shocking to me...SHOCKING...how illiterate most are to what true "Calvinist's" believe. Good grief.

It kinda ticks me off that what we believe is always so horribly misrepresented by those who don't know what they are talking about. :tongue_smilie:

For the record, most Calvinists are not hyper-Calvinists, just like most Baptists are not like the VERY arrogant huge Baptist church in my town that think they are the only ones who will be in heaven. Seriously. It's so bad that they evangelize believers...even pastors in other solid bible churches...because in their mind if one isn't going to their church, one is not saved! Gosh, If I were to believe that all Baptist's hold to that belief, I would never be able to use A Beka, BJU, CLE or the like...and I would have missed out on some fantastic curriculum. ;)

No apology needed. I understand completely.:) Oh, and thanks for saying that.

I hope that this is not what you thought I meant. We all have a right to believe how we chose and I do not condemn anyone just because they believe differently from me.(we also dont believe that only Baptist are going to heaven) But I also have a choice how I want to teach my children and that is all I was trying to find out.:confused: This thread was about currculum that might be considered approprate to use by a very old-fashion Baptist. I need to find something that makes dh comfortable.

After talking about this alot last night. Dh has said that he thinks it would be better to go with something completely secular and he will add in our bible. (I'm still going to peak at MFW at convention) So ladies. can you give me some ideas on curriculum that is secular that compares to MFW, SL, HOD, in the way it is set-up?

I've been on the boards here a while and I know that many secular ladies have asked many, many times if there is a secular unit study/literature approach curriculum like MFW, SL, TOG available and the answer has always been "no." I understand your husband wanting to steer away from false doctrine and not wanting to have to tweak another Christian curriculum to fit your beliefs, but I don't see that choosing a secular curriculum will be any easier and may be much harder to deal with in the long run.

God's truth deals with every area of life, every subject matter. A secular author, who's life is not governed by a desire to please God, cannot help but express an anti-God sentiment, however subtle, throughout his/her materials. I've never picked up a secular book I felt comfortable using as my sole curriculum. Let me say, gently:), that tweaking a Christian curriculum is much easier than tweaking a secular curriculum. Just tacking on a "Bible" class to a godless curriculum will not help your children to see that all of creation belongs to and is governed by the Creator - not just "spiritual" things. Put another way - all of Creation (language, science, mathematics, history, music, etc.) points to Christ. It is not really possible to separate each of these "subjects" from the truth of God's word.

The Christian worldview and all other worldview's are diametrically opposed to one another. The three main questions in life are: Where did we come from? What's wrong with the world? How do we fix it? Christians believe we were created by a Holy, Sovereign God for the purpose of bringing Him glory; that the problem with the world now is sin; and that redemption in Christ through His shed blood on the cross and resurrection is the only solution to the world's misery. No secular curriculum will present subject matter from this vantage point and may only serve to confuse your children even more.

The only curriculum that will suit your family on every single issue is the one you write yourself in light of God's word. You are not going to find anything pre-packaged (secular or Christian) that you will be able to agree with on every single point.