Menu

Kids names left off programs... wwyd?

My kids seem to have been having a hard time lately. Maybe it's because we are the new ones in the groups, I don't know.

This summer and fall my oldest did a sport with the community team. She worked hard to sell 15 items for the fundraiser so she could earn a t-shirt with everyones name on it. When the t-shirt arrived, her name wasn't on it. I chalked it up to us registering late, but we still registered before any practices were started. It irked me terribly, but I contained my tongue, and calmed my dd about it (although I was proud of her for saying something herself to the coach about her disappointment). I knew there was nothing I could do about it.

This fall we joined a homeschool co-op. It's provided a great opportunity to meet some new people, and started my kids feeling like they have some friends here. Well, last week was their Family Night, and some classes did presentations, and some did table displays. My older daughter had time to sit and look at the program early this morning (I have been keeping it low key), and is very upset that she nor her brother are listed (but the youngest is, as a preschooler).

I KNOW mistakes happen. But I am so disappointed. This program is supposed to be included in their portfolios for the year, as documentation that they participated in it, but yet it doesn't document that at all.

Part of me wants to contact the leaders of the group, to find out if I might be able to have their names added, and get a printout just for us. Would that be wrong? My kids are just feeling really down about this, and honestly, so am I.

If you need documentation for your portfolio, by all means, contact those leaders and ask them to help you out in some fashion. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

mistakes happen, but let the people try to fix the mistakes. They probably would feel bad if it were their kid left out. hopefully they are nice enough to know that about themselves, right?

I know in some things I've been in, the leaders ask the parents to proofread the programs prior to final printing. No one likes to be left out of that stuff.

:grouphug:

-crystal

They probably made the programs on their home computer and could make you a copy with your names on it. If not, get them to write you a letter on their stationary to document your participation. It will be more work for them, but hey, they're the ones who didn't attend to details in the first place.

I'm sorry for the trouble this has caused you.

:grouphug:I hate so bad when that happens! I remember being in charge of programs for our co-op and stressing so bad to make sure that I had all the names spelled correctly and not leaving anyone out. For future programs, I would suggest that a markup be made of any programs being handed out and parents can approve things like spelling and correct any mistakes.

I don't think it's wrong to ask for another program with your dc names on it. It should be a word document and easily taken care of. Just let them know that you need it for their portfolios.

I would not hesitate to contact the group and see if they could 1. do an insert to be handed out or 2. reprint a program for you only.

I would handle it like you posted, that you are creating a portfolio and need their name listed for your own documentation.

I've BTDT with myself and ds. I tend to be sensitive about those things and if I've worked to be a part of something I really want my name listed, not for vanity's sake but for my own self-esteem.

That's an awful feeling! I would contact and ask for another program, and you'll probably find that the people in charge are happy to correct their mistake.

This weekend at a gymnastics exhibition one of the girls was left off the introductions, and my heart broke for her, standing there and getting completely passed over.

Definitely speak up!

I would take two angles on it:

1. If I needed documentation for the records, I would politely call and ask for a reprint for our portfolios.

2. In addressing the being left out - I would remind my kids who we do things for - and in our home that's God alone. We'd talk about disappointment and making sure that in our actions we strive to not let others feel left out. How it feels, who we can befriend in the future who may be feeling left out. But in therms of being left out of the "glory" and accolades of being in the program - we'd review what the bible says about it -

1 Corinthians 10:31 "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

Colossians 3:22 Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.

1 Thessalonians 2:4 But just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not as pleasing men but God, who examines our hearts.

Galatians 1:10 For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.