Menu

Gross question concerning crochet project...possibly ruined

So, several years ago, I started a really difficult crochet project. I'm crocheting a blanket for DD using an expert level counted cross stitch of a mare and her foal for the pattern. Each square equals four single crochet stitches...two one way and two back...to make it the size I wanted. It has probably 12-13 balls of yarn attached to it at once, where I just pick up the color when I get to it, and drop it until I need it again. It's looking like it is working well. When it is finished, it would be really nice...family heirloom kind of thing.

But, life happened. I got bored of the project. Got pregnant. (I basically can't do anything but survive during pregnancy). Had a nursing child. All things that kept me from continuing.

Well, I want to finish it. I really do. With the lifting of lifelong depression, I feel capable of picking it up and finishing it. I'm not 100% sure I have enough yarn though I bought what I thought was more than enough, but if I don't, I know it can sometimes be found online.

Anyway, a cat at one point found it in the back of a closet and pee'd on it. I've determined that the stains can be removed (they came out just spraying with hot water), but all my yarn (about $150 worth probably) smells both like pee and dust.

Can I clean the yarn? Or should I finish the project and then wash it? Or should I just toss it and forget about it?

That is a *really* tough one. I am not sure I could ever sit under that blanket without thinking about cat pee or imagining I smell it. ugh. Would you be really devastated to start over?

I think for me personally I'd have to pitch it, but I'd be sick with disappointment over that.

This is a tough one.

If I understood correctly the yarn that smells like cat pee is still in balls. I have never washed a ball of yarn, but suppose you tied it with some string together and put it in a laundry bag and washed it on "delicate" with detergent for wool - can't remember the name now - Wool-lite??? or something like that.

If you can stand it you could finish the project, however you risk putting a lot of work into it and possible not being able to get rid of the stains/smell.

Perhaps a pet store could advise you if they have a product with which to launder soiled items and if it would be appropriate for yarn/wool.

Is the yarn washable? Is the blanket washable? If so, I would wash it in something like Tide and continue.

What if the cat peed on your finished blanket? Would you throw it out? We have cats here that sometimes do things like that and I always try to clean the item first before throwing it out.

Anyway, a cat at one point found it in the back of a closet and pee'd on it. I've determined that the stains can be removed (they came out just spraying with hot water), but all my yarn (about $150 worth probably) smells both like pee and dust.

Can I clean the yarn? Or should I finish the project and then wash it? Or should I just toss it and forget about it?

Put the balls of yarn, just as they come from the store, but without the paper or plastic wrapper, in a mesh laundry bag and drop it in the washing machine with regular laundry detergent. (Whatever you do, don't unravel them -- you'll never get it in a ball again.) You can do it along with your other wash of similar colors and textiles. Toss in the dryer, bag and all, when you're done. Either in the wash or in the dryer, you'll need fabric softener so it doesn't go all kinky on you. Do the same thing with your unfinished piece, then dry it flat on a towel. Do a few at a time unless you have several laundry mesh bags.

If you do not have a mesh laundry bag, a small pillow case with a zipper or anything made of *thin* fabric with a zipper so the yarn doesn't spill out will do.

This will take care of years-old cat pee as well as kid-barf. Ask me how I know. ;)

Put the balls of yarn, just as they come from the store, but without the paper or plastic wrapper, in a mesh laundry bag and drop it in the washing machine with regular laundry detergent. (Whatever you do, don't unravel them -- you'll never get it in a ball again.) You can do it along with your other wash of similar colors and textiles. Toss in the dryer, bag and all, when you're done. Either in the wash or in the dryer, you'll need fabric softener so it doesn't go all kinky on you. Do the same thing with your unfinished piece, then dry it flat on a towel. Do a few at a time unless you have several laundry mesh bags.

If you do not have a mesh laundry bag, a small pillow case with a zipper or anything made of *thin* fabric with a zipper so the yarn doesn't spill out will do.

This will take care of years-old cat pee as well as kid-barf. Ask me how I know. ;)

BUT....if it is 100% wool? Wouldn't it felt?

Yes, it is washable. I've just never washed yarn before it was used.

I can stand the smell. Natural smells don't bother me much, not even skunk and the smell of dead things. In fact, I usually don't smell those things at all unless I'm close to it and it is really strong. DH can't believe I can't smell things. "Really? You can't smell that?!" It's the chemical fragrances that I can't handle. Those bother me long after they've left the room. It would drive DH bonkers, though, so I'd have to work on it when he isn't home.

We use the brand Pet-zyme that we get at the pet store. The enzymes will permanently break down the cat urine.

Just add 1-2 cups to the washing machine (add some detergetent too) an wash on delicate--let it soak a bit before you drain/rinse. Air dry.

Once the yarn is fully dry the smell will be gone. It also does a great job at getting the 'yellow' stain off too... (just don't ask me how I know!).

You could just try hand washing it in the sink or tub. Soaking with an odor eliminator... it really seems like baking soda should do that, but I don't know so if you want to try do a test FIRST. The other poster had a great idea with the pillow case too, that could work. For anything, though, I'd try to test a small amount first.

Regarding the danger of it felting in the washing machine, be sure to wash and rinse at the same temperature. If you are really concerned, just allow it to soak a while and don't let the machine agitate.

When I wash my sheep wool in the machine, I put it in for a 20 minute soak, then change the water and do another 20 minutes at the same hot temp with my detergent in the water. If it is really dirty, I might do another 20 minute soak in a new batch of soapy water. And then finally I rinse at the same temp (no agitation) and spin it out.

When you dry it, be sure to place the items on a rack where they will not have the weight of the wet wool stretching them as they dry. I usually air dry on an old window screen with short legs that dh made for that purpose. You could always prop one up with heavy duty plastic cups or something similar. To hasten the process you can direct a fan on the fiber. Do be sure it has dried throughly though, since it can mildew from any dampness left in if it goes back into storage.

I'd wash it in the dishwasher. And.. if it's wool... it's more the agitation of the wash... than the wash itself. You can use Eucalan if it it's wool.... But not that in the dishwasher. Also, you might be able to have someone with a frontloader wash it on their gentle cycle.. or if they have the part for shoes.. to keep it still while the water is swishing around...

Carrie

We use the brand Pet-zyme that we get at the pet store. The enzymes will permanently break down the cat urine.

Just add 1-2 cups to the washing machine (add some detergetent too) an wash on delicate--let it soak a bit before you drain/rinse. Air dry.

Once the yarn is fully dry the smell will be gone. It also does a great job at getting the 'yellow' stain off too... (just don't ask me how I know!).

I buy Nature's Miracle at the pet store. We used it when the puppy was housetraining and it worked so well that I clean around the toilet with it now. It is on the pricey side, but like you natural smells like skunk don't bother me, but chemicals do and this cleanser is made with natural enzymes and not chemical scents to cover it.

I would defenitely try and wash it out. I know how much work goes into one. I have one that I have been working on for several years that sits in a basket in my living room until I get the urge.

Good Luck!!!