Menu

Has anyone made no-sew fleece blankets?

I made one a few years ago. It was quick and easy. I did do one thing wrong but it was easy to fix. I tied the fringe too tightly and ended up with a circular blanket. I ended up pulling each side to stretch it out. It ripped the cuts a bit longer and pulled the blanket back into a rectangle.

At my baby shower my cousin had made a fleece blanket using one piece of fleece. She cut the strips then made a little hole and poked the strip through the hole. She also cut the edges of the strip off so they were rounded.

I love that blanket. It's so cute.

That would be a cheaper option than buying 2 pieces of fleece and tying them together.

I used the kits from Oriental Trading and made each of my kids a snowflake blanket (plain blue on one side) and a small pillow. I actually finished two of them Christmas Eve morning that year! lol Very easy. I had free shipping, and they cost me 19.99 each--you can get fleece cheaper, but I'm not crafty and it was nice to have it all cut perfectly for me. They turned out about 5 feet by 4 feet, I think.

I've made several fleece blankets, and like the other posters have said, they are easy to put together.

Joann Fabrics is having a sale on blanket kits through today. 48"x60" kits are $10, 60"x72" kits are $15. The kits include two coordinating pieces of fleece (one patterned, one plain) and instructions.

I made a big one for my mom last year (2m). It took me about an housr to cut and tie it all the way around. I just popped in a movie to watch while I did it and it was finished before the movie was. SUper easy. I did not buy a kit, just bought 2 fleece fabrics I liked (navy blue and cream) at the fabric store.

We've made several of these. I made them for my kids and hubby for Christmas and we like to make them for a family we adopt for Christmas. For my daughter, I found an adorable Holly Hobby print fleece and a co-ordinating fabric that looked great in her room. My boys got Star Wars fleeces. Dh got one with classic cars. We made a Green Bay Packers one for my BIL - a huge Packers fan.

Here is a link to a good description on how to make them.

I don't even measure.

I buy my fleece, lay it out wrong sides together, pin it with big safety pins and then trim the ends because the store seems to NEVER cut them the same or evenly. As long as you even it up, it really won't matter. I don't cut my selvages off anymore either.

Once pinned, I get my longest pair of shears and open them wide and cut in from one edge. I judge how wide to cut each *fringe*, by the width of my thumb as I hold the edge to cut around. Then, I overhand tie all the knots. THEN I trim the fringe. We don't like *long* fringe. When I trim, it trims off the selvage.

You may want to experiment with shear length. The main thing is that you just need enough length to be able to make that overhand knot.

They are so, so easy (pun intended)! My mom makes one for each of my kids, getting it on sale for around $5 a yard. She has a friend with an embroidery machine who puts the kid's name on one piece of the fleece before we tie them together. My eldest's is 5 years old, slept with every night and is holding up great. My middle daughter is a chewer and occasionally we have to tie one or two strips back together.

The only advice I have is don't buy the cheapest fleece. Paying a little extra for the higher quality fleece will add years onto it's lifespan.