Menu

Does "vegan" include "no oil"?

I emailed a recipe for vegan chocolate cake to a friend today, one that has vegetable oil in it. She posted back thanking me and said that she'll make it with applesauce instead of oil to make it truly vegan. Oils aren't allowed in a vegan diet? What's your understanding/thought?

Well I would think that coconut and olive oil would be just fine. But maybe she needs less fat, and subbed applesauce for that reason.

But why not vegetable oil? It's not animal-based. I guess that's what I'm wondering. (And she specifically said that the vegan recipe sites she's familiar with don't use oil.)

Is it for a religious fast? I thought Orthodox Nativity Fast and Lenten Fast include avoiding oil.

I'm an Orthodox catechumen but she's not, so that wouldn't be it.

BTW (side note here) our priest said that in our diocese "no oil" mean no olive oil; so on these fasting days we avoid olive oil but not oil altogether.

Thanks everyone! I just wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand the term vegan.

Edited by milovaný

Vegan means no animal products--no meat of any kind, no dairy, no eggs. There is some debate as to whether honey should be excluded from a vegan diet. I don't know of a consensus position on that.

Vegans tend to eat a lot of tofu for their protein. It's sometimes difficult to get enough calcium and B12 on a vegan diet, and those are serious nutrients to lose sufficiency in over time, so they have to be watched. There is quite a bit of calcium in certain braising greens (not so much in salad greens) and I believe that there is calcium in some nuts although I'm not sure. B12 only comes from animal products, though, so even the most hardcore vegan cookbooks tend to recommend taking a B12 supplement.

I used to wonder how in the world all those very serious vegans in India managed to avoid having B12 deficiencies. Then I read in "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" that without anyone realizing it, there are very small insects in the storage of most grains there; and although these are not detectable by normal means, they provide the secret protein and presumably B12 source that everyone needs to live. IIRC, the book says that this was found out when vegan people moved to England where the storage conditions were different enough that they started to have deficiencies.

I used to wonder how in the world all those very serious vegans in India managed to avoid having B12 deficiencies. Then I read in "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" that without anyone realizing it, there are very small insects in the storage of most grains there; and although these are not detectable by normal means, they provide the secret protein and presumably B12 source that everyone needs to live. IIRC, the book says that this was found out when vegan people moved to England where the storage conditions were different enough that they started to have deficiencies.

Ok first, EEEWW! Second, I don't think that there are a lot of "very serious vegans" in India. I haven't come across one. Yes there are vegetarians but they still include milk and lots of milk products in their diets. Perhaps in some of the religious communities there may be some who adopt a very strict diet but they certainly are not the mainstream here.

Ok first, EEEWW! Second, I don't think that there are a lot of "very serious vegans" in India. I haven't come across one. Yes there are vegetarians but they still include milk and lots of milk products in their diets. Perhaps in some of the religious communities there may be some who adopt a very strict diet but they certainly are not the mainstream here.

...is some US authors who have written about learning from an Indian spiritual teacher, not from people from India themselves. So I could very well be reflecting on what amounts to a very small subculture. The quote from the Kingsolver book, though, is correct.

The serious vegans would probably be the Jains, I would think.

Rosie- only a "mostly" vegan.

Right, and they must know about all those bugs in the grains...again EEWW and I am really going to have to stop thinking about it if I am ever going to eat anything over here again!!