Menu

accidentally washed my cell phone - can it be saved?

I forgot to take my cell phone out of my pocket when I put my shorts in the hamper. I realized that my phone was in my pocket 10-15 minutes after I started the washer. I took it out, removed the battery, and dried it off. I know I should let it dry at least overnight.

I hope my phone still works. If it doesn't work in the morning, I'll disassemble it again and try again in the evening.

We've had lots of wet cell phones around here. Put it in a bowl of rice overnight. It will absorb the water.

Yep. My brother sells cell phones and suggested dry rice to absorb water(Sells cell phones-sounds like a tongue twister:)) I washed my new cell with tons of bleach so my phone was toast. If you didn't have bleach in the water; it might be fine.

Definitely don't try to turn it on before it's completely dried out! There's a chance it might be just fine if you leave it alone and let it dry, but every time you turn it on will mess it up more if it's still wet inside. It can take a WEEK for it to dry completely. Oh, and don't decide to try to "help" it along with a blow dryer or anything. That will make things worse. Not that I'd know any of this from experience or anything. :blush:

Yep, have done this twice. Put it in a bag of rice, and stick it in the fridge for a couple of days. Then ,if you have one that you can do this with, place it over the vent of the computer where the warm air blows out. Nice soft even flow that gently dries it for two or three more days. If you can't get it to stay on the computer, then put it back in the rice and let it stay in the fridge another couple of days. THen let it dry in some new rice on the counter to absorb any left over condensation from coming out of the fridge. Mine still works fine.

I forgot to take my cell phone out of my pocket when I put my shorts in the hamper. I realized that my phone was in my pocket 10-15 minutes after I started the washer. I took it out, removed the battery, and dried it off. I know I should let it dry at least overnight.

I hope my phone still works. If it doesn't work in the morning, I'll disassemble it again and try again in the evening.

I did this once and totally learned my lesson the hard way. My phone was a goner.

Another vote for letting it dry out (never tried the rice, but I'll keep that in my memory bank :p).

Had a friend that dropped hers on the way into work. It sat (on) in a puddle (in the rain) for a few hours before anyone noticed it. She took it apart (removed sim chip and battery) and let everything dry and it worked fine (till she forgot it on the roof of her car...).

I had it open with the battery out in the fridge within a few minutes of taking it out of the washing machine and drying it off.

After it had been in the fridge for about 20 hours, I put it inside the foot part of a pair of hose (one that was just sock-length), put that in a container, and then filled the container with dessicant that I got at Hobby Lobby. I have it sitting on the counter now.

I did leave the phone wrapped in a towel for about 20 minutes right after I took it out of the fridge.

I'm just not sure how long I should leave it before I try it. Should I wait just 3 days or should I wait a full week?

It was fully submerged in the washing machine for 10-15 minutes and it was agitating. The phone was on.

I had it open with the battery out in the fridge within a few minutes of taking it out of the washing machine and drying it off.

After it had been in the fridge for about 20 hours, I put it inside the foot part of a pair of hose (one that was just sock-length), put that in a container, and then filled the container with dessicant that I got at Hobby Lobby. I have it sitting on the counter now.

I did leave the phone wrapped in a towel for about 20 minutes right after I took it out of the fridge.

I'm just not sure how long I should leave it before I try it. Should I wait just 3 days or should I wait a full week?

It was fully submerged in the washing machine for 10-15 minutes and it was agitating. The phone was on.

One thing to check is after drying it out, look in the display window, the camera lens if you have one and see if you see any drops of water there. After I would take the phone out, I always let it sit around for a few hours and see if any water drops bubble up there. If not, I would venture that it might be safe to try it. But I always did at least 4 days between the fridge and the computer vent. Good luck!!!

I dropped my cell phone on the pool and it landed on the step. I reached in and grabbed it immediately, but of course, it had already begun filling with water. I took the battery out and blow dried the whole thing for a while, trying to get the air into the cracks. I left it apart, overnight. The next day it actually worked!!