Menu

What are you doing for 2nd grade science? nt

gandpsmommy

We used Apologia Astronomy from spring (end of first) to fall (beginning of second) when we have a chance for clear skies in Oregon. Loved it, loved doing it over the summer. Planned a camping trip just to see the August meteor shower away from city lights.

Then we moved on to Noeo Chem I. It is going well. We did Bio I last year--I think I like Chem I more. Noeo makes is easy to get science done. We really enjoy the books and while the girls enjoy the experiments, they certainly don't mind if we don't have them all the time.

We use Abeka Science and History for first and second grade.

They are very simple and basic information, but it gives me the chance to focus on English/Reading subjects, without becoming overwhelmed. It also allows me to pull many books of interest of topic from the library.

I just don't think that first through third grade Science and Social Studies need to be that indepth.

Blessings, Dee

My older children are using Science Explorer and so I have my younger ones following with us. We basically lapbook science and history. This way I get art out of the way as well. My older sons are expected to do way more than my 2nd grader but she does what she can and really retains most of it. I suppose you could say I use Science Explorer as a spine and bend it to my needs. I want to get the computer CD's that go with it but not sure of the cost and which is the right one to get. Good luck with your search.

Tammy

We are using lesson plans I created based on WTM's suggestions and other books I felt were valuable to use.

Earth Science is combined with Geography:

Spine reading, science words to define, scientist profile, Books to Read (includes on level biographies, non-fiction and fiction- all considered living books), Internet Activities, United Streaming Videos

Geography has assigned pages to read each week and project.

• The Earth Science and Geography are interlinked- if we're studying Seasons in our earth science spines, then in our Geography portion we're studying the angle of the Sun.

Earth Science: Day and Night = Geography: Time Zones of the World

Earth Science: The Weather = Geography: Water Cycle

and so on...

• Memorization throughout: continents by size, oceans by sizes, deserts of the world

I set it up so that anyone who uses it would have MORE than they can do in a week so they can pick and choose what to do. This way, science doesn't become stagnant and boring for either the parent or child(ren). Plus it can be used for students who need simplified, average and challenging levels.

Astronomy:

Reading from Spines, 10 weeks divided by topic (moon, Sun, and each planet)

Activities, books to read, vocabulary, scientist profiles, poems/songs, online activities and United Streaming.

It's linked in my signature below. Use it as you wish- to create your own or tweak it to fit your homeschool. We're having a blast.

My dd who hasn't been very interested in animals before now wants to know all about them.

So we made a lapbook on invertibrates last fall and currently I pick out an animal each week and check out non-fiction and fiction books on it. We have descovered some delightful picture book writers that way and have learned all about a variety of small mammals.

My dd recieved a weather kit for her birthday and so she does a weather report each day about wind direction, temperature, clouds and conditions. We also pick up fun science kits here and there and really have fun in this area.

Last summer we did Sinapore Math's My Pals are Here Science 3a/b which is mainly about biology. We plan on finishing up this year with My Pals are Here Science 4a/b.

We've really diverged upon our own path and have had a lot of fun. We also like science museums and she has a nice collection of science textbooks and readers to use on her own.

We've tried several things over the years, but now have pretty much decided to take science as it comes--some nature journaling (see my blog for some of last year's examples), a Tasco microscope and kit from Great Science Adventures, and various other resources (made a lapbook on the Moon, read Magic Schoolbus books, etc.). I wish we were more organized, but so far this has worked alright for dd.

As of right now, we're using God's World, with some of Jessica's lesson plans. This is all Biology. I really like Noeo, but I have a demanding toddler, so I really needed something that Piper could do on her own, for the most part.