Menu

How do you store/organize lists of curricla & living books you'd love to try someday?

Blessedfamily

I print out website home pages (with the web address on it). I gather threads on a single topic, or book lists, together into one word processing document to edit out extraneous material and reduce point size to save on paper. I include web page addresses at the top, along with a title, and then print out and keep in a big 3" binder.

I also use tabs so I can keep similar material together:

- "books to go with historical periods"

- "gov't / economics program ideas"

- "book lists for boys"

- "visual-spatial learner resources, curriculum, and ideas"

- "high school transcripts"

- "educational videos/DVDs"

- "website resources" -- this section is for those print outs of website home pages, or lists of web page names / addresses / short sentence or note to myself of what kind of useful information I would use from it

My binder is very full at this point, and I should probably branch out to a "volume 2". (lol!) This works for me because I can flip through the binder whenever I want, even when not near the computer. And if I want to re-visit a website, thread, or resource, then I just type in the web address that I copied/pasted at the top of the printed out page. Then when it's time to plan the next year's curriculum, I flip through the pertinent sections, especially the book lists, and type up a "master list" of every single book/resource I thought would be great. I save that on the computer and keep coming back to it, comparing all the items on the list to online reviews and "sample pages", and then start whittling it down over several months until I come up with an actually manageable amount of material for each subject.

I keep the binder in a plastic file box, along with current curriculum catalogs, and any other "hard copy" home schooling documents or resources. BEST of luck finding what system works best for you. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

Well it depends. Sometimes I just let the stuff mull and let the repetition of it on the boards jog my memory. (Or the lack of subsequent mention save my wallet, lol.) I used to keep a composition notebook for notes, but actually now I write things on computer paper and put them in file folders by grade. I find just writing it is usually enough to keep things straight in my mind.

Alternate options. Start a thread proseltyzing something you want, so you'll be able to search yourself and find it. Or use download TheThingsIWant, which I did recently. It makes button on your internet you can click when you want to add something to your lists. You can totally customize the lists.

I keep an ongoing document on my computer for my future wish list. I save links and also any posts that told about the item & why I would be interested in it. I have major subject headings to divide things up. When I'm ready to look for curric, I scan my document for what I might be interested in that year, delete any I'm no longer interested in, plus I delete any I end up purchasing.

Merry :-)

I have a document called "Curriculum Ideas" that I keep in my homeschool folder on my laptop. It is divided by grade level and I just list each resource that I'm mulling over under the appropriate level. I include relavant webistes when appropriate.

I also have a "Science Plans" file that lists books that I'm going to add to Noeo science when we start using that next year and a "Curriculum Additions" file that lists must-read books that I am planning on adding to our core curriculum. I organize both of these by level also because it makes sense to me. Oh, I also have a file of sequels and books by the same author that corresponds to all of the books I already have scheduled. That way, I can pull it out if one of my dc particularly enjoys a certain book.

I don't print any of it out because it changes so often and I don't need the clutter.

Well it depends. Sometimes I just let the stuff mull and let the repetition of it on the boards jog my memory. (Or the lack of subsequent mention save my wallet, lol.) I used to keep a composition notebook for notes, but actually now I write things on computer paper and put them in file folders by grade. I find just writing it is usually enough to keep things straight in my mind.

Alternate options. Start a thread proseltyzing something you want, so you'll be able to search yourself and find it. Or use download TheThingsIWant, which I did recently. It makes button on your internet you can click when you want to add something to your lists. You can totally customize the lists.

Lol! Ummm.. that's what I'm doing now. If it isn't lost in my bookmark pile, I forget and remember when it comes back up, or when I make another thread asking a question I asked 6 mos. ago.

Not to be dumb, but don't you search the boards before you ask a question? I seldom ask, but I research a ton. I'm forever picking some topic or author and then reading all 10,000 hits that come up for it, lol. You learn a lot that way and find new things, things that didn't stand out to you when you read the threads the first time. And I read by person a lot when I find someone nifty. That will kill a whole Friday night for me. :)

I've done some cut and paste into Word, mainly for things I don't need for a LONG time (ds's preschool stuff, couple years down the road). Really though, I need to write it to remember. If I just cut and paste, all I remember is the act and what the shape looked like, not helpful. ;)

I bookmark them - I have a folder for homeschool. Inside that folder are sub-folders for the current grade (contains links to what we are currently using), then one each for math, science, history, language arts and electives. There is also a sub-folder for suppliers, where I keep links to my favorite vendors, one for articles/essays and one for general homeschool information.

I go through them every 6 months or so to make sure they are sorted correctly.

I bookmark them - I have a folder for homeschool. Inside that folder are sub-folders for the current grade (contains links to what we are currently using), then one each for math, science, history, language arts and electives. There is also a sub-folder for suppliers, where I keep links to my favorite vendors, one for articles/essays and one for general homeschool information.

I go through them every 6 months or so to make sure they are sorted correctly.

How do you make sub-folders in bookmarks?

How do you make sub-folders in bookmarks?

You can do it through the "organize bookmarks" feature in firefox. You open the folder, right click, select new folder, it adds a new folder inside that folder, then you title it. You can then drag & drop your bookmarks in. When you bookmark a new site, you can categorize it right away.

I have a teacher's note binder with print outs, it's divided into: booknotes (notes I take while reading various books), lifestyle, pondering, plan (tentative next year for each), material currently using, future ideas, parenting, testing, and college. I also have a spreadsheet where I've kept track of what each child has done each year for every subject and a word doc that lists each subject and possible materials to consider.

Could you elaborate a little bit about what you put in some of these categories? Such as "lifestyle", "pondering", ect. It sounds interesting and like something that would work really well!

Thanks!

You can do it through the "organize bookmarks" feature in firefox. You open the folder, right click, select new folder, it adds a new folder inside that folder, then you title it. You can then drag & drop your bookmarks in. When you bookmark a new site, you can categorize it right away.

Thanks. I use Opera, so it must be similar.

Oh yes, I search. That's usually how I find out I already asked the question before. :lol: I have found 2 threads of mine this way, but I sure didn't remember them. The search feature isn't specific enough.
I use google to search for threads, too - especially when I want to do a multi-word search. Just type "site:www.welltrainedmind.com/forums your_search_terms" in the search bar (minus the ""). Here's an sample search for "Singapore Math".

I use google to search for threads, too - especially when I want to do a multi-word search. Just type "site:www.welltrainedmind.com/forums your_search_terms" in the search bar (minus the ""). Here's an sample search for "Singapore Math".

I've had good luck using the "advanced search" feature and then selecting "search titles only." Then it only brings up threads that have that word in the post *title*. It only works well for one word at a time, though, so if you want to research Singapore Math you would just type in Singapore and then sift through the threads that come up to find the ones that are about the math curriculum specifically.

I also keep sub-folders of bookmarks. I keep lists of curricula I am interested in for each grade and re-write these as I do more research. Right now I have things planned out through about 4th grade, although I know they might change. :lol: I have a "planning" binder where I keep all of these lists and any brochures, placement charts, book lists, etc. that I want to refer to. I have Amazon lists as well. I love lists. :D:D

Well, I really think you ladies are going to thank me for telling you about Evernote, because I think it is the Best Thing EVER for homeschooling moms who need to keep track of curriculum ideas.

First of all, the program is FREE. You can use it on the web, on your computer, or on your iPhone or Blackberry. You can clip websites to your notes, you can write yourself little notes, you can take pictures of your notes and the program CAN READ YOUR PICTURES and search through them for you. You can organize your notes into notebooks or tag them or just have the program search for keywords within your notes.

And did I mention, it is free?

This is so much better than a bookmark or a flat file (doc or spreadsheet). I also use it for recipes, craft ideas, storing business cards, remembering the brand or model number of products that I need. Omg, I just love this program so much. My world has become so much easier to keep track of since I've started using it.

• 1 month later...