Menu

Snap Circuit ??s...

DS9 loves science experiments and recently enjoyed a small "inventions" kit I got (a few wires, motor, light bulb). I think he would love Snap Circuits.

So my question - there are several different sets. I assume that I should get the largest that we can afford, or would that be overkill for a 9-year-old? And is it something he can do on his own to a large extent? He likes to "experiment" rather than have an adult walking him through these things, but I don't want to turn him loose with it if the whole set can be irretrievably ruined by a little misstep. Or is there some other type of set that you would recommend?

Thanks so much - I really want to find a Christmas gift that doesn't have the Lego trademark!

Thanks so much - I really want to find a Christmas gift that doesn't have the Lego trademark!

Agreed. We found that Snap Circuits had a lot experiments/info. Youc can also et a TM for it.

The best thing is that you can upgrade when you when you want a new set -- get the extra pieces & the book -- check the Elanco - Snap Circuits website. I think RR also carries the upgrades. The mfr also sells individual pieces.

Yes, get the biggest set you can. My 5yo loves to play with it and is as stubborn as a mule. So he must do it all himself. He just follows the directions in the little booklets. It is quite easy. Sometimes he will even ask my what the deal is for a particular little set-up. If you do get snap circuits, I highly recommend you get the ac adapter for it. Batteries don't give nearly enough energy to get the fan to fly. ;) I won't tell you, but you'll find out what that means...

We started with the version that Elenco put together for ToysRUs under their EduScience brand: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3195281. It's a lot of fun. If someone in the household or a mentor is in to electronics, then you won't need more as they'll go to other projects using salvaged or bought parts.

There are a few things that a child can do to damage components:

1. build short circuits. The instructions are clear on how not to build short circuits.

2. retard the motor while spinning

3. pull or bend at the ends of the wires, disconnecting them internally

The Elenco radio kits are also a lot of fun for this age.

I can't help you with which package to buy because mine is on the shelf ready to pull out in two weeks. :) But I wanted to mention that I've seen them at Hobby Lobby and there you can use the 40% off coupons. I found mine on the clearance rack which was a little cheaper but the 40% off can really knock a lot off.

I assume that I should get the largest that we can afford, or would that be overkill for a 9-year-old?

And is it something he can do on his own to a large extent?

My ds received a smaller set one Christmas, which was upgrading a few years later.

I'm thinking of upgrading again this year (it's been a few more years)--thanks for the 40% coupon suggestion for Hobby Lobby/Michael's, etc.

Both sets came with complete instruction books on how to build many different things. Even when my ds was 7, it was completely self-explanatory, one page per project. It sounds like your ds is familiar with Lego building, so he'll be fine here too.

He won't catch the house on fire, if that's what you mean, or blow a circuit!

LOL, I have to say that we're making our first visit to a LEGO store next week, and we're pretty excited--at least some of us!

http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SC-100-Snap-Circuits-Jr/dp/B00008BFZH/ref=pd_bxgy_t_text_b

Is the Snap Circuit Jr. good to start with? I have an 8 year old lego builder as well and I am pretty tired of buying legos. :lol:

Can I add this later?

http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SC-300-Snap-Circuits/dp/B0000683A4/ref=pd_bxgy_t_text_c

thank you.

http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SC-100-Snap-Circuits-Jr/dp/B00008BFZH/ref=pd_bxgy_t_text_b

Is the Snap Circuit Jr. good to start with? I have an 8 year old lego builder as well and I am pretty tired of buying legos. :lol:

Can I add this later?

http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SC-300-Snap-Circuits/dp/B0000683A4/ref=pd_bxgy_t_text_c

thank you.

I'm just about to hit the buy button at Amazon.com for the SC 500. My ds is 9 3/4.

The big set is awesome. Although the computer interface stuff is so so.

Nine is absolutely not too young. We bought ours when our son was 4. He could follow the diagrams then on his own. I can't imagine a 9 year old having trouble with it.

My son LOVES it.

So a 5 year old?

Bill

I can't help you with which package to buy because mine is on the shelf ready to pull out in two weeks. :) But I wanted to mention that I've seen them at Hobby Lobby and there you can use the 40% off coupons. I found mine on the clearance rack which was a little cheaper but the 40% off can really knock a lot off.

And a special thanks for the Hobby Lobby coupon idea!