Menu

Can you recommend your favorite brand of pizza stone?

I found our Pampered Chef stone at a yard sale & at the time would have never paid full price.

However, we Love it!!! And now would absolutley not hesitate to replace it w/ another if need be. I simply lv. it in the oven & put whatever we may be cooking on it. Pizza, fries, fish, etc. I did also buy a Pampered Chef scraper cleaner (3 pack for maybe $3?) after it cools I scrape it w/ hot water & back in the oven.:)

The one from "Big Green Egg" has been bullet proof.

The "Pampered Chef" brand could not be worse. They have all cracked, and we've been hassled by customer service as it was a gift and didn't know at what "party" it was purchased. Very inferior.

Edited by Spy Car

I have 2 Pampered Chef round stones and I love them! I cook all sorts of things on them...pizza, cookies, cinnamon rolls, biscuits. I've had mine for almost 6 years and have never had a crack or problem. (And they are used several times a week.)

I also have several other Pampered Chef stones that I use on a regular basis.

Thanks so far-don't forget to say what you use it for!!!

And doesn't the cornmeal get all over the place?

I skip the cornmeal (because I hate the smoking) and just form on a piece of parchment whether it be heart bread or pizza.

I am on my second Pampered Chef -- the first one cracked, but I had banged it hard on the stove -- it also chipped the stove porcelain :( It lasted about a month after that, but cracked while I was baking pizza.

Here's a site with some great pizza stone info (http://www.breadtopia.com). FibraMent is the main brand they recommend.

Edited by BikeBookBread

I remember awhile back hearing that the Pampered Chef one was not good :confused:

Spy-what size stone from Big Green Egg do you have?

In my research, I turned up this neat gizmo:

http://www.superpeel.com/index.html

Someone on here on an old post was raving about it! I'm assuming it would cancel out the need for cornmeal/parchment paper.

I have a Pampered Chef pizza stone that I've had for 8.5 years. It has never cracked, and it is so beautifully seasoned now! :001_wub:

I still spray it with a little oil each time I use it, and the seasoning gets better and better. I don't use cornmeal when I make pizza on it--just a little more oil.

I went to a Pampered Chef party recently, and from what I saw in the catalog, it looks like the new pizza stones have handles molded into them now. Looks handy. Mine is just the regular circular disk shape.

In my research, I turned up this neat gizmo:

http://www.superpeel.com/index.html

Someone on here on an old post was raving about it! I'm assuming it would cancel out the need for cornmeal/parchment paper.

Oh, yes! I want a pizza peel. Have wanted one for a while, but couldn't find one large enough that didn't have a really long handle.

I remember awhile back hearing that the Pampered Chef one was not good :confused:

Spy-what size stone from Big Green Egg do you have?

It's 14 inches in diameter (round).

I've used this in a Big Green Egg outdoors at very high temperatures (700-800 degrees) with no problem.

While I've cracked 3 Pampered Chef stones in a normal indoor oven at 350-400 degrees.

There is no comparison in quality. Not even close. The BGE version is thick, and high quality. It will last a life-time (if not dropped).

The Pamper Chef IMO is junk.

Bill

I have a Pampered Chef pizza stone that I've had for 8.5 years. It has never cracked, and it is so beautifully seasoned now! :001_wub:

I still spray it with a little oil each time I use it, and the seasoning gets better and better. I don't use cornmeal when I make pizza on it--just a little more oil.

I went to a Pampered Chef party recently, and from what I saw in the catalog, it looks like the new pizza stones have handles molded into them now. Looks handy. Mine is just the regular circular disk shape.

I have both kinds, and the one with the handles is very nice. I've got several of their stoneware pieces and have never had a problem.

I use my stone a lot for a variety of breads, especially flatbreads. A good stone can replicate a tandoor oven reasonably well. I have a rectangle stone, and I think it's more flexible than a round stone. I don't know what brand it is, but it's much thicker than Pampered Chef's stones. Personally, I wouldn't buy the Pampered Chef unless I was just using it for pizza every once in a while. I also use it for all sorts of baking and don't bother with any sort of stoneware because placing a regular dish on a stone is very similar to using stoneware.

I think it's worth spending a little money on a good stone because there's so much you can do with them. If you're looking for some interesting recipes, try Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid's Flatbreads and Flavors or HomeBaking.

I found our Pampered Chef stone at a yard sale & at the time would have never paid full price.

However, we Love it!!! And now would absolutley not hesitate to replace it w/ another if need be. I simply lv. it in the oven & put whatever we may be cooking on it. Pizza, fries, fish, etc. I did also buy a Pampered Chef scraper cleaner (3 pack for maybe $3?) after it cools I scrape it w/ hot water & back in the oven.:)

:iagree:

I have used Pampered Chef stones for years. LOVE them. In fact, I just bought another one a couple of weeks ago. I had taken it out of the oven and set it on top of a burner I had just turned off. I wouldn't recommend that...it cracked. :-( It was one of my original stones though...probably 10 years old? Well worth it. LOVE my PC stones. :-)

I have quite a few of the Pampered Chef stones and have no complaint. My favorites are the round with the built in handles and the large bar pan. I use them for all kinds of baking ... pizza (no cornmeal or parchment paper), bread, cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, foccocia, cookies, etc.

You know, I was given a coupon for The Swiss Colony one year and I didn't want their food so I saw a pizza stone in there and ordered that. That was about 10 years ago and it still works great.

But I just went to their website and it is no longer there.....I am sure it was made by another company but I have no idea who.

Dawn

How do you use it as a tandoor oven?????? I would love to know!

Dawn

I use my stone a lot for a variety of breads, especially flatbreads. A good stone can replicate a tandoor oven reasonably well. I have a rectangle stone, and I think it's more flexible than a round stone. I don't know what brand it is, but it's much thicker than Pampered Chef's stones. Personally, I wouldn't buy the Pampered Chef unless I was just using it for pizza every once in a while. I also use it for all sorts of baking and don't bother with any sort of stoneware because placing a regular dish on a stone is very similar to using stoneware.

I think it's worth spending a little money on a good stone because there's so much you can do with them. If you're looking for some interesting recipes, try Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid's Flatbreads and Flavors or HomeBaking.

How do you use it as a tandoor oven?????? I would love to know!

Dawn

Well, it just bakes flatbreads so they taste somewhat like they've been baked in a tandoor. Just slap your dough on your very-well-preheated stone. It's not the same as bread from a real tandoor (that was the only bread I ate for a year, so I know), but it's the closest you're going to get without a much more expensive oven.

• 3 weeks later...
OK, I have two pizza stones that I bought 4 years ago, but have never used. How should I use them? Do I need to preheat them before each use? Do I need to cool them down in between uses? I am asking because I usually bake several pizzas at the same time and have only two stones.

We usually preheat the stone for 10 minutes.

I got a big one from Amazon.com - not sure of the brand. It has been working well for at least two years now, sill going strong. If you are going to use it for more than pizza (most other things are easier to use with a rectangular stone, i.e. rows of bread loaves or rolls), get the biggest rectangular one that will fit in your oven. Be sure to measure your oven first - be sure the stone will fit.

At some point you'll want to be using as much of the stone as possible, especially if you're making pizzas for a crowd or large batches of bread as I do sometimes.

And I always give a heads up about the Super Peel - I love transferring pizzas onto the stone easily with this device. www.superpeel.com. It is recommended by Cooks Illustrated.

If you don't use the super peel, use parchment paper for transfer on and off the stone.

Good luck!

Edited by Dana in OR