Menu

How to reduce interuptions with younger kids

raganfamily

I am sure this has been posted before, but would love advice and/or ideas. I have five kids and there is always an interruption when we have school. My youngest is 4 and is always wanting my attention and to do school. My son, age 6, does his work if I sit next to him the whole time. If I put my attention to one of the other kids, he stops working. (He can complete his work within an hour...but it seems to take hours...) The older kids (9,10,11) do well until they are distracted by either of the younger two.

Please help, I want to have a relaxed, nice home school environment for the kids. I also do not want to have to turn on cartoons for the youngest just to pacify her.

Play time with older siblings it a great way to keep the youngest occupied. If each of the olders took 30 minutes to play with the 4yo that would keep her occupied for two hours each day.

Other ideas:

Arts and crafts time each day (playdough, coloring, Kumon books)

30 minutes of play alone time in the bedroom

Take 30 minutes at the start of the day to read with the 4yo

We use a MOTH schedule to organize our time so that everyone knows what to do and when. HTH

My 4 yo gets about 30 min. of school time at the start. After that he's supposed to go sit in a certain area and play quietly with toys. He does pretty well, maybe because he gets that 30 min of attention. Of course he tries to talk to me but I stop him short every time.

a box of activities ONLY used during schooltime. things like lacing cards. Lauri blocks,puzzles,cards, coloring books. this worked well when my 5dd wasyounger and I was teaching my oldest dd. There is a website with activities. i can't remember it but if you google preschool activity bags, you may find it. I

hope this helps.

I have an area of toys set up in the classroom, that are only used in school time. I have potato head, paper and magnetic dolls, stencils, some leap frog toys,games, zoobs, legos and other things to explore. Then I have coloring books, puzzles and books which are always available for them. I have a almost 4 yr old and a 4 yr old who I babysit. I don't get to many distractions during school but, I don't think they can all be avoided at that age. My dd gets distracted at times and wants to join them in playing- luckily its not too often.

My MOTH (Managers of Their Homes) schedule has made a world of difference in my homeschool. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but the more scheduled we are, the more relaxed we are.

The days are scheduled so that I get 1 hour of uninterrupted time with my spacey 6 year old. This allows him to complete about 80% of his work in one sitting. My olders take turns playing with the 2 year old, who also does 45 minutes of room time and spends 30-60 minutes at the table playing with puzzles, paints, or Play-doh. Everyone knows what is expected, what comes next, etc.

My oldest does much of his work in his room, so as not to get too distracted.

We are never perfectly on schedule, but there is a simple flow to our days that greatly reduces the constant distractions and relieves that chaotic feeling that I had gotten used to before.

HTH,

I always think it will be more efficient to work with both of them at the same time, but ds 7 is a bouncy, wiggling, humming, always in motion kind of a guy, and he just drives ds 10 crazy when they are at the table together.

They get more done, and I remain more patient, and a little saner, when I work with them separately :001_smile:

I have an area of toys set up in the classroom, that are only used in school time. I have potato head, paper and magnetic dolls, stencils, some leap frog toys,games, zoobs, legos and other things to explore. Then I have coloring books, puzzles and books which are always available for them. I have a almost 4 yr old and a 4 yr old who I babysit. I don't get to many distractions during school but, I don't think they can all be avoided at that age. My dd gets distracted at times and wants to join them in playing- luckily its not too often.

This is the problem I have had with trying to keep the youngest entertained. The one who is only 17 months older-and her always partner in crime-will think it is unfair that she has to do school and sis gets to play (or vice versa.) That is why I had them both doing school together from the beginning. Nothing else worked without arguments!

So it seems odd, since they are obviously not going to be at the exact same level. I just don't push the 4.5 yr. old as much. Like if the first grader is to write a sentence, a few words from the 4.5 dd works for me. The dd6 is also better at math. One problem I have from this is that the dd6 is always trying to interject with the answer when dd4.5 is not sure. DD6 is impulsive, does not understand boundaries (likely ADHD.) Suggestions?

Another reason we have had trouble implementing any other ideas is our living situation-crowded into small temporary dwelling (due to displacement) and they do not have their own room. There is no play room, etc. They sleep, play, watch videos, do school all in the smallish living room. Luckily, older sis, dd13, has taken over the cellar as a clubhouse to escape to (complete with radio, fountain and Christmas lights.)

My main problem has always been like she (op) said if she has to help one of the olders or tend to the younest, one of the others wanders off! I have that trouble with all 3, and sometimes they'll wander into the next room and start a computer game without asking! Argh!! I wondered if it was just me. Glad it's not. ;)

Lakota

I don't know if this would work with your dc but recently my dc re-worked their schedule because they didn't like the interruptions from the baby and 3 yr.old during history and science. This is what our schedule looks like now and is working really well.

8:30 dd6th and dd5th babysit 3yr.old and 11mo. old while I work one on one with dd1st. The older two can usually still get there easier independent work or some reading done while the little ones play.

9:30 Older continue to babysit 11mo.old while 3yr.old listens to literature reading and does light art\craft with dd1st.

10:00 Baby goes to nap. All do history and science together. 3yr.old is allowed to do "school", coloring, puzzles, cars or blocks in school area but he must be quiet and not interrupt. If he is disruptive he has to play in his room. (One warning - no exceptions)Occasionally I will let him watch a movie (educational based) but not often. If we are doing a project or experiment I will usually try to find a way for him to participate.

11:30 Literature reading. Everyone is allowed to color or draw. The 3yr.old loves to cut paper into confetti, which is a big mess but it keeps him occupied for 30 minutes.

12:00 Lunch and play outside

1:00 Baby gets up from nap and spends the rest of school time playing in the school area. Dd1st is finished with her school by now and so she and 3yr.old play together while older two do the rest of their school work. The dd1st and 3yr.old can play outside in backyard or upstairs in their rooms but are not allowed to interrupt. My involvement in school is done by 3:00 so they only have to control themselves for two hours. I check on them often to keep them from checking on me every 5 minutes.:D If they do happen to be disruptive they are sent to their separate rooms to play alone. This hasn't happened very often. They learn quickly.

We had lots of interruptions before we started this schedule. My 3yr.old wants to do school too. I tell him he will get his school time if he behaves in the mornings while I'm working with my dd1st. It was rocky at first because he was used to being right in the thick of things. The key for us has been to have very definite consequences for being disruptive and to be consistent in carrying them out immediately, not after the 5th time asking him to be quiet. If he begins getting loud I will give him one warning after that, even if I am right in the middle of a math problem or reading, I will get up and take him to his room. If he or his sister later in the day behave very badly they have to spend the rest of school time on their beds. This has only happened three times.

I'm sure right when we start having days with no warnings or accidental interruptions the baby will start having a different nap schedule and then we will have to re-work the schedule again but at least everyone will be aware of the philosophy. Spare some of your time to help out with the little ones and don't interrupt .

WOW...I look at the MOTH schedule that someone posted...making that kind of schedule ALONE seems overwhelming...much less following it. What happens when something causes the schedule to get off...then do yo just continue in the schedule skipping what is missed? Maybe that is all covered in the book...but it all seems almost too unreal???

I posted on another thread, but I thought I might start a new thread just for my questions...

WOW...I look at the MOTH schedule that someone posted...making that kind of schedule ALONE seems overwhelming...much less following it. What happens when something causes the schedule to get off...then do yo just continue in the schedule skipping what is missed? Maybe that is all covered in the book...but it all seems almost too unreal???

Also, what is the difference between Managers of Their Homes and Managers of their Schools?

Thanks.!!!!!!!

The key to making a schedule work is to remember that it is a tool to help you and not a task master to try to keep up with. There are two ways to plan for interruptions and unexpected problems. Our schedule is padded. I schedule the kids a little more time for each subject than I actually expect they will need (assuming of course they are working diligently and not daydreaming). This takes care of small interruptions like diaper changes, messes requiring immediate cleaning, or taking the dog outside. For larger interruptions (doctor's appointments, large messes, etc.), I either just skip what is missed or use the schedule to prioritize what is most important for us to get done in the time we have available. HTH

I just looked at the MOTH site...how does MOTH and MOTS(schools) differ? Would one be better than another...

MOTH covers scheduling and has sections on school, housework/chores, cooking, babies/toddlers, etc. If you're wanting to put together a schedule this is the book you want to get.

MOTS from what I understand covers how the Maxwells do school in their house. They use a textbook approach (which is why I've never gotten the book). Their is one section on scheduling, but it won't be as detailed as the MOTH book. HTH