Menu

Grown up costumes?

Dh and I are invited to an all grown up Halloween party. We are both really looking forward to it. Costumes are mandatory and acting the part is more important than the costume. I'm just not in the creative space to think of something fun. Any ideas? We don't have to be a couple just need ideas. What have you always wanted to dress up as but haven't done yet?

Inspire us!

HHHHHhhhhheeeeeelllllllppppppppp!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Julie in Monterey

Dh and I are invited to an all grown up Halloween party. We are both really looking forward to it. Costumes are mandatory and acting the part is more important than the costume. I'm just not in the creative space to think of something fun. Any ideas? We don't have to be a couple just need ideas. What have you always wanted to dress up as but haven't done yet?

Inspire us!

HHHHHhhhhheeeeeelllllllppppppppp!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Julie in Monterey

DH usually goes as a heavy metal guitarist. We put together an outfit with Levis (I seriously distressed them with a sander) and a jean jacket (distressed, cut into a vest, and band art safety pined to it) from the Goodwill. A retro Motley Crue tee from Target that I tore up and sanded. He the added in leather studded bracelets, fake piercings, tattoo sleeves, and an awesome big hair wig. Topped off with a pair of converse, he looks so authentic. His Facebook picture is a pix of him in full garb. When we went to our high school reunion, everyone was shocked to see a corporate guy walk in, with inch long hair. LOL They thought the pix was real.

When I had long hair I used to go as Nelly Olsen from Little house on the Prairie. I have an appropriate dress and it just kind fits me. It all started as a joke (my boss used to jokingly call me a brat, so it spring boarded from there.) and it just kinda stuck. I haven't dressed up in several years, so I don't have a costume anymore as I now have short hair. :D

One year I made Lord of the Rings costumes for my kids--Frodo, Gandalf and Lady Galadriel. There would be good acting opportunities with LOTR.

Another year they went as Star Wars characters.

A few years back my son wanted to be a barrel of toxic waste and that was a really great costume. None of the sibs wanted to don a clean up suit though.

Rock Star and Rabid Fan would be a good combo.

80's Dude and Valley Girl

Skater Dude and Chick

I have wonderful memories of when my dad dressed up as a Buccaneer--he made his face more swarthy by putting a little dark makeup on (not black face, just darker, like he'd been in the sun on a ship a looong time!), an eye patch, and a bandana around his head. I think he had a gold hoop clip on on his ear. Not sure what he actually wore. There's a good acting opportunity with a pirate!

My husband once dressed as a Teenaged Werewolf. We shook cotton balls in a little powder tempra paint and used Elmer's glue to stick them to his face (no beard in those days) and on his chest (so his hairy chest could peep out from his flannel shirt). He bought hairy hands from the party store and wore jeans. Cute! Scared the carp out of our friends next door when he "knocked and roared!"

One year my mother went to a party dressed like a flasher. She bought these fake breast, wore a flesh colored body suit and tights and raincoat. It was one of the funniest costumes.

Simple and easy

Generic Costume - White Sweats, paint a bar code on the sweatshirt

Static Cling - velcro some socks on you.

Kitchen Witch - Witches hat and an apron

My husband and I have gone to parties before as Charlie Brown and Snoopy. We got a t-shirt at thrift store for him and drew the zig-zag line on it. Then, I would wear white sweats with a spot on the back cut out of black felt. I also purchased a cheap plastic red dog bowl and would wear that as a hat. I still break it out on occasion when I need something easy and warm for Halloween.