Menu

Gray hair angst!

I have had highlights added to my hair a couple of times a year for probably 5 years. Money being tight, I decided not to have my hair colored any more. I just can't afford to go in and have it done. I don't mind the color gray, but the hairs that are coming in are not only gray, but *wiry* *wild* and absolutely *untameable*! The rest of my hair will look fine, but there will be, like, 8 gray hairs, all of them sticking straight out. :eek: I'm distressed! Anyone have any suggestions? :001_huh:

I have had highlights added to my hair a couple of times a year for probably 5 years. Money being tight, I decided not to have my hair colored any more. I just can't afford to go in and have it done. I don't mind the color gray, but the hairs that are coming in are not only gray, but *wiry* *wild* and absolutely *untameable*! The rest of my hair will look fine, but there will be, like, 8 gray hairs, all of them sticking straight out. :eek: I'm distressed! Anyone have any suggestions? :001_huh:

It only takes a few wild ones to make everything look messy, doesn't it?

I am letting my hair grow out a bit, so mine are even more noticeable now.

My sister-in-law gave me a tube of Ojon Glossing Cream, and it really seems to help.

You only need a smidgen of the cream to make a big difference.

I was grey for about 2 years and I finally caved again and got it colored again. I did try with good success over the counter semi-permanent color #10 dark ash blonde. With semi-permanent, at least it only lasts about 6 weeks, so if you make a mistake it won't last long;) I am by no means a beautician, but I have heard to choose a color lighter than the one you like as well to avoid the shoe polish look. You may even be able to find tips on the internet or youtube.

Alternatively, I did check out a local beauty school and their prices are dirt cheap which is great because money is very tight;) I had good luck with them.

lastly, you could go grey. Some look great with it. I struggle with it since it is a pain to color:) Plus, I like the idea of natural grey.

lastly, you could go grey. Some look great with it. I struggle with it since it is a pain to color:) Plus, I like the idea of natural grey.

Oh, I don't mind grey...I just don't like the texture of the grey I'm getting. The hairs seem twice as thick as the rest, and tend to stick straight out no matter what I do. :glare:

Oh, I don't mind grey...I just don't like the texture of the grey I'm getting. The hairs seem twice as thick as the rest, and tend to stick straight out no matter what I do. :glare:

I did hear of a product that is like color for gray hair that does not actually color the grey but gives it shine and improves the texture. I wish I knew the name. A beautician told me about it.

I was plucking them, but at some point, that's gotta stop, kwim? :confused:

This is true! I realized that if you pluck, they grow back in short and wiry. If you let them grow at least they eventually meld with the rest of the hair rather than stick out. Let them grow. I'm watching for more suggestions here though!

This is true! I realized that if you pluck, they grow back in short and wiry. If you let them grow at least they eventually meld with the rest of the hair rather than stick out. Let them grow. I'm watching for more suggestions here though!

I agree with this, when my gray first started it was curly/wiry and drove me crazy. I would pull out what I could but at some point the gray hair took over. I now just let them grow and as they get longer they tend to be straighter. You just can't fight it forever, the gray will win...

I pluck without remorse. That's been good for about the last five years. I color at home, but now even the greys won't hold color. I add a 2nd color for highlights and it makes them less noticeable.

At some point I shall give up and show my age, I guess. My dh looks very distinguished with his graying hair, I just feel old.

Well, the grey hair is drier than the regular which is why it sticks out. As we get older, then we are really not supposed to shampoo more than once or twice a week. Just use conditioner in between and your hair will be much more luscious.

There are some hair products that give shine. You can find them in Target or Walmart. They have them for blondes or brunettes. I also once used a cream kind that was a sort of coloring/shine that I could use weekly or so to add extra umph. It was really good and really gave color and hid the grey on a weekly basis, or at least added shine. I suggest you spend some time just looking at what's available in the shampoo section. Lots have changed!

I agree with this, when my gray first started it was curly/wiry and drove me crazy. I would pull out what I could but at some point the gray hair took over. I now just let them grow and as they get longer they tend to be straighter. You just can't fight it forever, the gray will win...

Yeah, and I finally figured that the proportion of grey:brown will eventually work against me.:D

Mine was like that too until Sunday when I had @ 6 inches chopped off, layered and colored it. :glare:

You'll have to update your avatar so we can see. :001_smile:

I'm starting to get some wiry hairs, although they don't look gray yet. Guess it won't be long. :glare: I'm hoping they'll blend in with my blonde for a while, and that when it does start to take over, it'll be a nice white or silvery color. {fingers crossed}

I wish I just had the problem of a few wirey grays, unfortunately when my color grows out my roots are solid gray! I do get mine colored at the salon, because it looks and lasts better than at home. to make it last longer I use a clear gloss once the color and texture starts to change...I use John Freida and it really makes a big difference. I also use the Clairol Root Touch up...it's one of the best inventions ever! I can stretch my coloring to 6-8 weeks now instead of every 4.

Now my big problem is my gray eyebrows! I have so many if I try to pluck I get holes.

The short, wiry grays bother me a bit. They are better when they are long and I use a leave-in conditioner.

The real bummer?

My eyebrows are now going gray. White, actually. Thank goodness for a great eyebrow pencil and brush. Last time I was in for a highlight, I actually talked to my colorist about dyeing them, too.

I have been "blending" in the gray with highlights, mostly because I hate for people to think my youngest dd is my grandchild. But I am seriously thinking of opting out of the whole coloring regimen.

I'm in the plucking mode currently. I do think the time is approaching when I'll go bald with my current plan. I don't have another one because mine are all wiry too. waaaaaahhhhhh. I always thought I'd go gray gracefully, I've changed my mind... I have never been one for dying my hair because I can't be bothered with the upkeep but when needs must, I'll suck it up and see the hairdresser reguarly.

I was grey for about 2 years and I finally caved again and got it colored again. I did try with good success over the counter semi-permanent color #10 dark ash blonde. With semi-permanent, at least it only lasts about 6 weeks, so if you make a mistake it won't last long;) I am by no means a beautician, but I have heard to choose a color lighter than the one you like as well to avoid the shoe polish look. You may even be able to find tips on the internet or youtube.

Alternatively, I did check out a local beauty school and their prices are dirt cheap which is great because money is very tight;) I had good luck with them.

I will spend a couple of years paying big $$$$$ for color, and then for about 9-12 months, I will do it myself. I did it a couple of days ago with L'Oreal Colour Experte (it's a two step process if you want highlights) -- I use the base color b/c I cannot find another one that I like without the highlight step -- I used Light Iridiscent Brown - no Lily Munster look - and do what someone said here -- always go lighter!

Ugh! People in my family go grey EARLY! A couple of times, I've been asked if my youngest is my grandchild. My sister just had a baby and I was visiting her in the hospital. That dingbat nurse actually thought I was Grandma! My sister and I were shocked, as I'm only 2 years older than my sister, and she's just as gray as I am. I'm not even 40 yet!

I've only had my hair colored in the salon once. All the other times, I do it myself, but I'm way overdue. I need to get my hair whacked off and color it well. That should shut them up for awhile!