Menu

Learning to tie shoes books or tricks?

We do it a different way when they are little. Make the X and poke one under, just like you normally would, but then instead of making one loop and wrapping the other straight around and poking it through, we just make two loops and do another X and around with the loops this time. My oldest daughter and son still tie their shoes that way. The others figured out the other way when they were old enough and had enough manual dexterity.

We do it a different way when they are little. Make the X and poke one under, just like you normally would, but then instead of making one loop and wrapping the other straight around and poking it through, we just make two loops and do another X and around with the loops this time. My oldest daughter and son still tie their shoes that way. The others figured out the other way when they were old enough and had enough manual dexterity.

I've done it the way your kids do since I learned how to tie. I remember exactly when it happened, lol. I was about 5-6 yrs old and I had a pair of pants on that had a tie at the waist. I called my mom over, did it and asked her if I did it right. She said "Yes", so I've done it like that since. To this day she doesn't remember that happening!

And if you're a rightie teaching a leftie (or in reverse) try sitting facing your child when you demonstrate/practice tying shoes. I struggled trying to teach my son (years ago) until someone told me that, the next day he learned how to tie his shoes and asked me why I hadn't shown him this "easy" way before!

Myra

Anyone else think home schoolers may be slower to learn to tie shoes? We just don't wear shoes much and when we do it's usually clogs, crocs, buckle shoes, or sandals. Then softball season comes around in spring and what do you know, my kids still don't know how to tie shoes! I know I learned at a much earlier age because my school shoes were tie shoes and I had to do them myself every day for school.