Menu

S/O - What do YOU fear running out of?

When we don't have much money, I feel like we're broke. When we're out of milk, dh feels like we're broke.

So, no matter how low the money gets, I try to be sure we have plenty of milk. Dh says he feels rich when there's milk in the fridge.

True story -- no way I could make that up! :001_smile:

I'm right there with your dh... that is how I feel! It's funny, my dad was a "milk man" when I was a kid (he delivered milk to businesses/schools) but for some reason we never had milk in the house until the day the milk that he was to deliver just expired and they couldn't sell it... then he would bring a big case home and we felt like it was Christmas morning. It wasn't until I was in college when I had my first taste of really fresh milk (without that slightly sour taste it gets around expiration)... and I remember being very surprised at the "real" taste of milk.

Funny how timing works... I just finished unloading groceries and do you know how many gallons of milk are in my fridge right now? 11.5!!! It feels great!

Well, that was me with the toilet paper thread. :blush:

I wasn't really serious, though.

I mean, it was true that we really did nearly run out; but after giving it a little thought, I knew I could leave the kids here for a minute and run out to get some if I had to.

I had a moment of panic and thought (get ready for a run-on sentence, LOL) we're going to run out and I'm the only adult here and I don't know when another adult will be here and the kids are sick so I can't take them to the store and we don't have any tissues and if they use paper towels they'll stop up the toilet... what am I going to do????

I had to laugh at myself because almost immediately I imagined a poll on WTM, asking the hive what to do. And they came up with some pretty creative ideas! :lol:

As for the question in the OP, I don't know if I really fear running out of anything besides money, or time to be with my kids. The toilet paper thing was pretty scary, but only for a minute. :D

When we lived in Bremerton in Navy housing everyone on the street knew if they ran out of a laundry supply I would have extras to borrow.:p

When we were stationed on Okinawa the commisary didn't have black olives for about six months. I never run out of black olives. I buy them by the case at Sam's now because I don't ever want to run out again. :tongue_smilie:

Insulin and syringes. I was a screaming meemie when our mail-order pharmacy kept messing up and I kept watching those supplies get lower and lower. (My DD was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about six weeks ago.)

I think I would have been one, too. Not on the phone. On the phone (and I would have been on the phone) I've have been an iron fist in a velvet glove.

For me it is my medications and bottled water. Bottled water isn't as high on my list since one of my medications is tea that I can make with tap water.

For my husband it is Nature's Cure (acne treatment). He will go to the store at 10 pm for that.

For DD it is juice.

DS doesn't care... he has mommies nummies in the case of emergency. :)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Sometimes I have wondered what would happen if someone poisoned the city water supply with some terrible chemical. I have even bought a huge water barrel in case that happened. ANd we have our swimming pool in an emergency. See, I have thought about it, so there must be some fear there.

I do check regularly about the raw milk. Dh and Ds drink normal store milk and it never runs out because dh is obsessive about it. Dd and I drink raw milk and I do get a bit funny about it because I dont like to run out either.

On the other hand, I have cloth pads and a Keeper so even though I buy disposable feminine supplies for my daughter (who is mortified by my feral behaviour) I don't panic if I run out. Of course, she may develop a phobia around running out since her mum is so relaxed about it :) or she could just do as I do. :lol:

My grandma lived in a small college town. About 5 years before she died, both the small grocery stores in town ran out of toilet paper. We had to mail her some! (I was at home in high school, I remember thinking it was weird to mail toilet paper.)

When she died, it took my parents almost a year to get read of grandma's stockpile of toilet paper, and they gave a lot of it away, evidently it was a very traumatic experience for my grandma. (I was out of state, so I didn't get any toilet paper.)

Grandma grew up during the depression and also had money stashed in some strange places, but she had not stockpiled toilet paper prior to the running-out incident.

Some medications like my dd's migraine meds, or her anti-depressant that's keeping both her migraines and her PMDD down. Also my other dd's osteoporosis medication since she takes it once a week and I hate to forget to refill it.

The worse one that I had problems with it my dd's ADHD medication. That can't be refilled but I have to bring in a new prescription and I have to wait until a certain day to do that since it is on the prescription. But the pharmacy can run out. That is happened three times. One time I ended up going to another pharmacy quite a ways away and waiting a long time. One time, they gave me less and told me come back for more (military pharmacy). Once we ran out and that wasn't pleasant at all. Now I make sure I have some lower dose medication that she switched to higher dose so in case she runs out, we can give her one of the lower dosages.

Funny how timing works... I just finished unloading groceries and do you know how many gallons of milk are in my fridge right now? 11.5!!! It feels great!

Ok, I *know I started this thread, and I *know I said the thing I don't like to run out of is milk, too...

Do you SERIOUSLY have 11 1/2 gallons of milk in your fridge?! Good grief, woman, WHERE does that all fit?! Will your family really be able to drink all of it before it expires? I think the most I've ever had in the fridge at a time is 3 gallons; both because I'd run out of room for other stuff if I had more, and because I'm not sure we'd drink more than that before it went sour.

Just curious. :D

Ok, I *know I started this thread, and I *know I said the thing I don't like to run out of is milk, too...

Do you SERIOUSLY have 11 1/2 gallons of milk in your fridge?! Good grief, woman, WHERE does that all fit?! Will your family really be able to drink all of it before it expires? I think the most I've ever had in the fridge at a time is 3 gallons; both because I'd run out of room for other stuff if I had more, and because I'm not sure we'd drink more than that before it went sour.

Just curious. :D

:lol: Yep... I almost need a second fridge for actual food! We drink about 8-9 gallons a week, so this should keep me out on the grocery store until the end of next week if I planned it right. I am always asked at the register one of two questions:

1) Is this WIC?

2) Do you work for a daycare?

I should just buy a cow:lol:

Feminine protection, for sure.

Toothpaste

Water (We have a well with an electric pump. When the electricity goes, the water goes. You can't flush a toilet without water. Ugh!)

Coffee and sugar (mainly for dh)

Toilet paper (my grandma had a huge stash of this as well)

Laundry detergent

Milk

:lol: Yep... I almost need a second fridge for actual food! We drink about 8-9 gallons a week, so this should keep me out on the grocery store until the end of next week if I planned it right. I am always asked at the register one of two questions:

1) Is this WIC?

2) Do you work for a daycare?

I should just buy a cow:lol:

When my oldest was little we used to go through milk like that. There were only 3 of us but many times dh and I used to regret not buying that milk cow from his uncle. I used to get the same questions at the check out too.

I used to be a pack rat like this (although not soda and snacks), but several large moves cured me. I grew up being taught to stockpile, because we lived where we got a lot of snow, and it was really hard sometimes to get to the store, but I live in a very different time and place now. I try not to stockpile too much now. I'll never forget having to get rid of things left and right because we were moving.

I move every 1.5-2 years and it still doesn't stop me. I don't see why I can't take it with me. We just load it all up and away we go. I don't move just down the road either, it's usually to another state. Now what I can't stand is all the carp my dh keeps that we have to move, like old papers from the navy housing office telling him what houses were available in 1996. I finally got him to let me pitch them last time we moved in 2007, I guess I had by then convinced him that 11 years later those houses probably aren't available and we wouldn't be moving to Charleston SC anyway so it really didn't matter. He comes from a long line of pack rats like that.

I guess I don't see myself as a pack rat though because I can always eat the food and drink the soda, it doesn't just lay around taking up space for 11+ years.