Menu

Science equivalents to SOTW

JWSJ

This is related: we have used The History of Science with success. It's a literature-based study (with all the related books, cassettes, etc. listed in the front). The first time I got it, I didn't realize what a literature-based program even was, so be sure to get the resources for those types of programs! Anyway, we have enjoyed it.

blessings,

Nancy.

This is related: we have used The History of Science with success. It's a literature-based study (with all the related books, cassettes, etc. listed in the front). The first time I got it, I didn't realize what a literature-based program even was, so be sure to get the resources for those types of programs! Anyway, we have enjoyed it.

blessings,

Nancy.

A search yields confusing results.

Can you point me to the content?

blessings,

Nancy.

We are using this for the first time this year and so far are enjoying it a lot. Here is the link:

http://www.bfbooks.com/s.nl/it.A/id.285/.f

We have enjoyed the Apologia Elementary Science Series for Astronomy & Botany.

There is a free classic, which has many science topics, The Story Book of Science:The wonders of plant and animal life told with rare literary charm by Uncle Paul in conversations with three children. Besides such stories as the ants' subterranean city, the spider's suspension bridge, and the caterpillars' processing, he unlocks the mystery behind thunder and lightning, clouds and rain, the year and its seasons, and volcanoes and earthquakes.

http://www.archive.org/details/storybookscienc00bickgoog

Another free classic by the same author:

The Secret of Everyday Things

Fascinating conversations with Uncle Paul reveal the mysteries behind the dyeing and weaving of cloth, the lighting and heating of homes, the processing involved in bringing oil, coffee, tea, spices, and other foodstuffs to the table, and the power of water in all its manifestations. Excellent as follow-on to The Story Book of Science

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=fabre&book=everyday&story=_contents

Then for chemistry try this free-classic book, The Wonder Book of Chemistry:

Starting with a mixture of iron filings and sulphur, Uncle Paul awakens in his young nephews an eagerness to learn more about the properties of the elements. Through a series of carefully-devised experiments and conversations about the experiments, he leads the boys to an understanding of some of the basic principles of chemistry. Excellent as a follow-on to 'The Story Book of Science' and 'The Secret of Everyday Things' by the same author

http://www.archive.org/details/wonderbookofchem00fabr

(We plan on using The Wonder Book of Chemistry with Ellen McHenry's The Elements.)

Here is a great find...free on google books:

The sciences: a reading book for children : astronomy, physics--heat, light, sound, electricity, magnetism--chemistry, physiography, meteorology

by Edward Singleton Holden

http://books.google.com/books?id=TP5CAAAAIAAJ&dq=the+sciences+by+holden&source=gbs_navlinks_s

We've been using this with a group this year and so far the kids are really enjoying it! It's by Joy Hakim, the same author as the History of US (American History), and it's written in a more conversational tone than most textbooks. There's a Student Quest Guide (kind of like the SOTW Activity Guide) with worksheets and activities. Some of them are best done in a group and some are just fine for a kid or two at home. I think all of them could be done at home, but I do like the group especially for discussion.

You may also want to look at books by John Hudson Tiner. We used his chemistry book last year and his biology book this year.

Each chapter is a different topic in the overall subject. It's a nice narrative including info on science history, scientists, and the scientific facts themselves. At the end of each chapter is a set of t/f and multiple choice questions, essentially reading comprehension.

No hands-on experiments, but experiments done by various scientists are described where they fit in with the topic.

Very engaging and a great compliment to RS4K Level 1.

They are Christian-friendly but not Providential--just sort of thoroughly historical, including the facts that some scientists studied the world or chemistry or whatever out of a desire to learn about God's intentions or out of reverence for His creation or that kind of information.

Since your DS is only 8, though, you might want to look at some of the KOGS books--they might fit him a bit better. Tiner would be best for about age 10-11 or so, I think, although younger kids would get something out of it as well.

The Tiner books are explicitly Christian, with Bible verses throughout and references to Jesus as Savior. There are also some subtle references to "Intelligent Design" beliefs in the physical sciences books but nothing super-YEC. I cannot comment about the life sciences books as I have not seen them.

Joy Hakim's Story of Science is a mixed bag IMHO. Parts of volume 1 are excellent, but the last portion covering the medieval period shows a serious anti-Christian bias. I personally chose not to use the later volumes for this reason.

We've been using this with a group this year and so far the kids are really enjoying it! It's by Joy Hakim, the same author as the History of US (American History), and it's written in a more conversational tone than most textbooks. There's a Student Quest Guide (kind of like the SOTW Activity Guide) with worksheets and activities. Some of them are best done in a group and some are just fine for a kid or two at home. I think all of them could be done at home, but I do like the group especially for discussion.

I second this suggestion (Story of Science). You also need the teacher's quest guide if you want to get much use out of the student guides.

I've been wanting to find out more about this very topic.

Which age groups are best for the books recommended thus far?

I'd really like to have a collection for the younger grades and a separate set for the middle and higher grades. I think it's really important for kids to learn the why and events leading up to various science facts, not just having them learn the facts, even the younger kids (I know not exactly wtm-- :leaving:)

The Tiner books are explicitly Christian, with Bible verses throughout and references to Jesus as Savior. There are also some subtle references to "Intelligent Design" beliefs in the physical sciences books but nothing super-YEC. I cannot comment about the life sciences books as I have not seen them.

QUOTE]

I don't remember the chemistry one being like this. I remember it having reference to chemist's personal beliefs and their personal writings that indicated those beliefs--IOW, the text failed to exclude relevent historical material just because it was Christian, but I don't remember it attributing discoveries to God or God's will or teaching Christianity per se. I have not looked as much at the physical sciences books, but I read the entire chemistry book to DD and DH. We all really liked it, and the scientific information was easier for DD to remember because she learned it in a story format. RS4K1 is more sparse, but uses more scientific language, so the two went together extraordinarily well.

I second this suggestion (Story of Science). You also need the teacher's quest guide if you want to get much use out of the student guides.

I knew that.... but my brain is apparently mush at the end of the week! ;) I definitely agree -- you need the teacher's guide too!

QUOTE]

I don't remember the chemistry one being like this. I remember it having reference to chemist's personal beliefs and their personal writings that indicated those beliefs--IOW, the text failed to exclude relevent historical material just because it was Christian, but I don't remember it attributing discoveries to God or God's will or teaching Christianity per se.

As an example, chapter 10 of Exploring the World of Chemistry is on the topic of water. On page 84, there is a paragraph that reads:

"So important is water that God chose it as a symbol of His love. The Bible calls Jesus 'the Water of Life' (John 4:13-14). Jesus said, 'If any man thirst, let him come to me and live" (John 7:37)"

As a Christian, I personally don't have a problem with these types of references; however, I know a bunch of non-Christian HSers who would not want to use a book with an explicitly Christian tone.

Story of Science is good listening material for gr 4 & up. Can probably be read independently by most 6th/7th graders and up. The activities in the quest guides are geared towards "gifted" gr 5-8. I'm using it successfully with gr 5-8 and my 1st grader listens in when she feels like it. (It's mostly over her head but there are some parts she can "get")

As an example, chapter 10 of Exploring the World of Chemistry is on the topic of water. On page 84, there is a paragraph that reads:

"So important is water that God chose it as a symbol of His love. The Bible calls Jesus 'the Water of Life' (John 4:13-14). Jesus said, 'If any man thirst, let him come to me and live" (John 7:37)"

As a Christian, I personally don't have a problem with these types of references; however, I know a bunch of non-Christian HSers who would not want to use a book with an explicitly Christian tone.

I apologize. I guess I was so struck by the other journal references and such that I forgot about these types of quotes completely. I agree, they would not be acceptable to a lot of non-Christian homeschoolers, and it is only right and fair to make them known.

I, personally, was so relieved to find something that included Christian history without being over the top that I guess I remembered it incorrectly. (Tears hair, mutters about Bible verses at the bottom of math pages and about assertions like "God wanted all those people to die so that America could increase"...sighs...) I like including Christianity where it belongs, but I am not as Providential in my beliefs as some of the Christian curricula out there.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Story of Science is good listening material for gr 4 & up. Can probably be read independently by most 6th/7th graders and up. The activities in the quest guides are geared towards "gifted" gr 5-8.

KOGS books- younger

Tiner would be best for about age 10-11

The Story Book of Science:The wonders of plant and animal life told with rare literary charm by Uncle Paul

The Wonder Book of Chemistry: ???

The sciences: a reading book for children : astronomy, physics--heat, light, sound, electricity, magnetism--chemistry, physiography, meteorology

by Edward Singleton Holden ???

Thanks so much for these suggestions. Do you have ages/ grades in mind for these?

We homeschool from a secular perspective and have not found the Tiner chemistry or biology books overwhelming - in fact, we like them. It is not difficult for me or my son to understand that the author is writing from a Christian perspective, recognize and acknowledge those statements that come from that perspective, yet still take advantage of the bulk of the text, which provides good science teaching without additional reference to religion. I cannot speak to his other books, as we have not used them.

Edited by plimsoll

Joy Hakim's Story of Science is a mixed bag IMHO. Parts of volume 1 are excellent, but the last portion covering the medieval period shows a serious anti-Christian bias. I personally chose not to use the later volumes for this reason.

Can you give me some examples of the anti-Christian bias, please? I have been considering offering History of Science as an elective for either 8th or 9th grade. I know Christians have often not treated scientists well (and some still don't), but I would like to know if it goes deeper than that.

Thanks

Guest RecumbentHeart
I know Christians have often not treated scientists well (and some still don't), but I would like to know if it goes deeper than that.

Thanks

I haven't personally heard of Christians not treating scientists well so I'm wondering if I'm just totally not understanding what you're referring to which wouldn't surprise me as my comprehension has been totally off this week partially due to sickness so I was just wondering if you could clarify. I'm wondering if there is or has been something going on in the 'Christian' world that I'm not clued in to. From my limited knowledge of history and science, I was under the impression most early scientists were in fact Christians and many still are today.

The question is not loaded, btw. I'm sincerely curious as to whether I'm missing some knowledge or I'm just not understanding what you meant - my head is quite foggy this morning.

Speaking of foggy .. I meant to comment that I really appreciate all these recommendations and reviews. I never thought this would be something I'd be interested in but I've downloaded everything I could that was recommended so far and am compiling a wish list of others. :)

RecumbentHeart, I can think of a couple examples of what she might be referring to. I have not read that particular book though.

Middle Ages Christians considered the Greeks to be pagan, so their scientific works were often banned and burned. Thomas Aquinas was a monk who tried to bring back the teachings of Aristotle and his contemporaries. His writings were condemned by the Roman Catholic Church. Later he was made a saint, but he was censored in his time.

Galileo was brought to trial over his writings because he believes earth is not the center of the universe. He was held in house arrest for the rest of his life.

I'm sure there are other examples. These are just two that I can think of right away.

There have been and still are many Christian scientists. However, there have also been many Pagan, Muslim, Buddhist, and atheist scientists and other religions as well.

Edited by greensummervillian

I haven't personally heard of Christians not treating scientists well so I'm wondering if I'm just totally not understanding what you're referring to which wouldn't surprise me as my comprehension has been totally off this week partially due to sickness so I was just wondering if you could clarify. I'm wondering if there is or has been something going on in the 'Christian' world that I'm not clued in to. From my limited knowledge of history and science, I was under the impression most early scientists were in fact Christians and many still are today.

The question is not loaded, btw. I'm sincerely curious as to whether I'm missing some knowledge or I'm just not understanding what you meant - my head is quite foggy this morning.

No problem. Perhaps the best known example from history is Galileo Galeli. Back in the early 1600's the Catholic Church denounced Galileo for his views that the sun was the center of our solar system and not the earth. He was not convicted at that time, but the Catholic church stated that heliocentrism was "false and contrary to scripture." Later when Galileo wrote about his views, he engaged in a bit of name calling of those who did not agree with him, which angered the Pope. He was tried by the Inquisition, found "vehemently suspect of heresy," forced to recant and spent the rest of his life under house arrest.

Currently prominent in evangelical circles is the idea that one cannot both hold to Christian beliefs and ascribe to the theory of evolution. There are some organizations that operate from a creationist perspective and actively call into question the conclusions of modern day science on their belief that the Bible offers a clear record of creation. I have seen professed Christians personally disregard the comments anyone who is not a literal creationist, even when the comments/conversation had nothing to do with evolution. When pressed, many evangelicals that I have personally talked to have admitted that there is no scriptural command that adds a belief in a literal, 24 hr/day, 7 day as a condition, requirement or result of salvation. I have often seen people beat a hasty retreat after they realize what they have made two mutually exclusive statements. There are many Christian schools and churches who do not allow teaching of true evolutionary theory, believing it to be false and contrary to Scripture. Please understand that I do not want to start a creation/evolution debate, I'm just bringing it up as an example.

Frances Collins, a dedicated Christian, has endured questioning from his scientific colleagues of his qualifications to lead the National Institutes of Health due to his faith. Dr. Collins is the former head of the Human Genome project and is respected in the scientific community, yet his faith calls his fellow scientists to question his ability to function as a science. They have ascertained that science and Christianity are incompatible.

The reason I asked for an example was to see if it was situations like Galileo's (a recorded historical event)that are related in the book or if there are overt condemnations of Christianity, as Dr. Collins has had to answer to in recent months.

Edited by TechWife

I do not know how Ms. Hakim treats the Gallileo affair as I only have the first book in the series.

The biggest issue I have with Vol. 1 is that Ms. Hakim promotes the false story that St. Cyril had the Library of Alexandria burned, when in fact it was most likely done by a lawless mob of peasants that included both Christians and pagans. Here's an excerpt from an article on the subject (emphasis mine):

"The story that Theophilus [Cyril] destroyed a library is clearly a fiction that we can very precisely lay at the door of Edward Gibbon. It is in his monumental Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire that we first find the allegation made. Gibbon seems mainly concerned to clear the Arabs of the responsibility of destroying the library and allows his marked anti-Christian prejudice to cloud his better judgment. His excellent footnotes show he had exactly the same sources as we do but drew the wrong conclusions. The story has recently been popularized by Carl Sagan who includes it in Cosmos. He spices the story up with a role for the murdered philosopher Hypatia, even though there is no evidence connecting her to the library at all."

Ms. Hakim selectively quotes early Christians like St. Augustine, St. Jerome, Tertullian, Lactantius, and Cosmas to portray them as backward and anti-intellectual while portraying Islamic, Jewish, and Chinese scholars in a completely positive manner. The great Christian intellectuals Sts. Albertus Magnus and Thomas Aquinas are only portrayed positively because Ms. Hakim considers them to be "rebels" against the Church.

She spends one brief paragraph listing factors that may have contributed to the decline of the Roman Empire and then follows that with SEVEN PAGES of criticism of Christianity. This leaves the impression that the primary cause of the collapse of the Roman Empire was Constantine's adoption of Christianity. She never once brings up the idea that the Romans may have adopted Christianity as a RESULT of all the turmoil they were experiencing. :thumbdown:

She also criticizes monastaries for "locking up" knowledge behind closed walls, when actually they were sanctuaries in a continent overrun by barbarians.

Consistently throughout the later chapters of Vol. 1, Ms. Hakim puts forth her own opinions as "facts" and portrays Christianity in the worse possible light while she treats non-Western civilizations in the most positive manner. She's clearly got her own issues with Christianity and allowed those to bias her writing. A balanced and objective book would try to present both sides of the story when it comes to the historical relationship between Christianity and science. Ms. Hakim's book does not.

Thank you so much for this information. I'm going to make sure I read through this volume from the library before I make any decisions. I was hoping to use the series as the spine of an elective covering the history of science. I may need to look at other options - perhaps some mixture of biographies and labs.

Thanks again!

Thomas Aquinas was a monk who tried to bring back the teachings of Aristotle and his contemporaries. His writings were condemned by the Roman Catholic Church. Later he was made a saint, but he was censored in his time.

Can I have the primary source on that? The Church, as I learned it, always recognized Thomas Aquinas' brilliance including during "his time." My understanding is that the Bishop of Paris condemned some of his propositions that were misinterpreted as errors of Averroism.

I admit I didn't look up a primary source before posting that, and I did make an error. His works were condemned three years after his death, not during his life. I know I shouldn't quote Wikipedia, but I don't have a lot of time here, and this is what I found.

On 18 January 1277, Pope John XXI instructed Bishop Tempier to investigate the complaints of the theologians. "Not only did Tempier investigate but in only three weeks, on his own authority, he issued a condemnation of 219 propositions drawn from many sources, including, apparently, the works of Thomas Aquinas, some of whose ideas found their way onto the list."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condemnations_of_1210%E2%80%931277#cite_note-Edward47-11

Story of Science is good listening material for gr 4 & up. Can probably be read independently by most 6th/7th graders and up. The activities in the quest guides are geared towards "gifted" gr 5-8.

KOGS books- younger

Tiner would be best for about age 10-11

The Story Book of Science:The wonders of plant and animal life told with rare literary charm by Uncle Paul

The Wonder Book of Chemistry: ???

by Edward Singleton Holden ???

Thanks so much for these suggestions. Do you have ages/ grades in mind for these?

When I originally posted these suggestions, I didn't realize the original poster was looking for the "history" of science in story format. I thought she was looking for science in story format...my oops. Anyway here are the age ranges for my recommendations for public domain literature-based science:

ages 9-11 The Story Book of Science:The wonders of plant and animal life told with rare literary charm by Uncle Paul

ages 10- 12 The Secret of Everyday Things

ages 11- 14 The Wonder Book of Chemistry

age 12 The sciences: a reading book for children : astronomy, physics--heat, light, sound, electricity, magnetism--chemistry, physiography, meteorology

I'd just mention that Fabre's books (Story Book of Science, Secret of Everyday Things) include passing references to God. Not very religious but not completely secular. Also be aware that there are some questionable comments made, at least in the chapter on rice:

"...In China and India the people have hardly any food but rice cooked in water with a little salt. In fact, half the world lives on virtually nothing else.'' "[R]ice, then, takes the place of bread with those people, doesn't it?" asked Claire.

"Yes, it may be said to take the place of our bread when they have anything to go with it; but not infrequently the whole meal consists of rice."

"With nothing else, at all?" asked Emile incredulously.

"With nothing else of any description," his uncle assured him, "from year's end to year's end."

'' Then they must be an uncommonly frugal sort of people."

"Yes; but the warmth of the climate makes this light diet sufficient, whereas in our latitude, with its colder temperature, we should die of consumption if limited to such fare."

The chapter on coffee includes a rather outdated and inaccurate description of Islam (and uses the terms "Mohammedanism" and "Islamism").

Keep this in mind; you may want to use selectively. Personally, I would only use select chapters, printed off the internet.

The post below is very good. Thank you !

I have all three books -- not because I am a fan of Mrs. Hakim, but because there is nothing close to it in intent, in the realm of children's science books. The history of science was my undergraduate major, so I was delighted when these books were published.

I was royally ticked off to read that she fell for that baloney about St. Cyril of Alexandria and the library.

Her personal distortions do not surprise me, however, for we have used her American history, despite its "Lo, the poor Indian !" inclination, (there IS a middle ground !), and some other viewpoints.

A "balanced and objective" (poster's phrase) book would be hard come by, nonetheless. Every author, necessarily, holds to a viewpoint which colours his writing. Exactly the same holds for authors of history books.

For a really wild read -- from the anti-religion camp -- try A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom, by Andrew Dickson White (written in 1896, I think). Now there's a wholesale savaging of Christianity for you !

I do not know how Ms. Hakim treats the Gallileo affair as I only have the first book in the series.

The biggest issue I have with Vol. 1 is that Ms. Hakim promotes the false story that St. Cyril had the Library of Alexandria burned, when in fact it was most likely done by a lawless mob of peasants that included both Christians and pagans. Here's an excerpt from an article on the subject (emphasis mine):

"The story that Theophilus [Cyril] destroyed a library is clearly a fiction that we can very precisely lay at the door of Edward Gibbon. It is in his monumental Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire that we first find the allegation made. Gibbon seems mainly concerned to clear the Arabs of the responsibility of destroying the library and allows his marked anti-Christian prejudice to cloud his better judgment. His excellent footnotes show he had exactly the same sources as we do but drew the wrong conclusions. The story has recently been popularized by Carl Sagan who includes it in Cosmos. He spices the story up with a role for the murdered philosopher Hypatia, even though there is no evidence connecting her to the library at all."

Ms. Hakim selectively quotes early Christians like St. Augustine, St. Jerome, Tertullian, Lactantius, and Cosmas to portray them as backward and anti-intellectual while portraying Islamic, Jewish, and Chinese scholars in a completely positive manner. The great Christian intellectuals Sts. Albertus Magnus and Thomas Aquinas are only portrayed positively because Ms. Hakim considers them to be "rebels" against the Church.

She spends one brief paragraph listing factors that may have contributed to the decline of the Roman Empire and then follows that with SEVEN PAGES of criticism of Christianity. This leaves the impression that the primary cause of the collapse of the Roman Empire was Constantine's adoption of Christianity. She never once brings up the idea that the Romans may have adopted Christianity as a RESULT of all the turmoil they were experiencing. :thumbdown:

She also criticizes monastaries for "locking up" knowledge behind closed walls, when actually they were sanctuaries in a continent overrun by barbarians.

Consistently throughout the later chapters of Vol. 1, Ms. Hakim puts forth her own opinions as "facts" and portrays Christianity in the worse possible light while she treats non-Western civilizations in the most positive manner. She's clearly got her own issues with Christianity and allowed those to bias her writing. A balanced and objective book would try to present both sides of the story when it comes to the historical relationship between Christianity and science. Ms. Hakim's book does not.

When I originally posted these suggestions, I didn't realize the original poster was looking for the "history" of science in story format. I thought she was looking for science in story format...my oops. Anyway here are the age ranges for my recommendations for public domain literature-based science:

ages 9-11 The Story Book of Science:The wonders of plant and animal life told with rare literary charm by Uncle Paul

ages 10- 12 The Secret of Everyday Things

ages 11- 14 The Wonder Book of Chemistry

age 12 The sciences: a reading book for children : astronomy, physics--heat, light, sound, electricity, magnetism--chemistry, physiography, meteorology

Well, I was looking for narrative science so it helped me! Are these read alone ages, do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...