Menu

Gift Ideas for a 1 year old

What should I get my daughter for her birthday and Christmas? She turns 1 on Thanksgiving day and we are going to Michigan for Christmas to see family. I am at a loss, she is developmentally advanced for her age (she's already walking) so somethings that are meant for her age she gets bored with. Oh and need them not to cost a lot, we have limited funds especially since we are also saving to go to MI.

What should I get my daughter for her birthday and Christmas? She turns 1 on Thanksgiving day and we are going to Michigan for Christmas to see family. I am at a loss, she is developmentally advanced for her age (she's already walking) so somethings that are meant for her age she gets bored with. Oh and need them not to cost a lot, we have limited funds especially since we are also saving to go to MI.

A cardboard box seems to be what most one year olds like the best. ;)

One of those fold-up baby strollers and a baby doll. A blanket and bottle for the baby. My little girl was 16 months for Christmas last year and when she woke up and found her stroller w/baby, she was so excited! You can get each for about $10.

Wooden puzzles

Board books

Nesting cups

One of those little ride on toys or push toys. All my children loved this push toy. I loved it even better once the batteries ran out. ;) They've used it several months after they learned to walk. And mostly for the pushing, not the educational toy part. When we visit other houses with "new" toys, they always want to play with the ride on toys like this one.

yeah we are looking at the snowsuits, by the way does any one have any suggestions for those too? obviously we don't want to spend a whole lot on something that will only be worn for a week, we prefer one that has a coat and snow pants so that we can at least use the coat here in Georgia. She already has a push/ride on toy it's by playskool, one of those push walk and rides. Her's is pink, and thankfully does not use batteries, we have boosted the rechargeable battery market because of her learn and groove table

yeah we are looking at the snowsuits, by the way does any one have any suggestions for those too? obviously we don't want to spend a whole lot on something that will only be worn for a week, we prefer one that has a coat and snow pants so that we can at least use the coat here in Georgia. She already has a push/ride on toy it's by playskool, one of those push walk and rides. Her's is pink, and thankfully does not use batteries, we have boosted the rechargeable battery market because of her learn and groove table

If you won't have any use for the snowsuit in GA, here's an idea. You could call your family here in MI and ask them to check at some thrift stores around here for something in her size. That way, you won't spend much on something you'll only use for a week, and it can be waiting for you when you get here. Just an idea. :)

My son got a set of "play silks" when he was a toddler, and they got many, *many* years of use! They were in regular use for at least 6 years by both of my kids, and they still get pulled out from time to time (now mostly just my daughter). They've been lovies, light blankets for a sleeping child on a warm day, doll blankets, baby doll slings, turbans, capes, skirts, fairy wings, hand-cuffs, fort walls, rivers and fields for Playmobil people and Legos, ropes, table cloths, and much, much more.

Definitely one of our longest-lived and most creative toys ever.

The ones we have were 45" square habotai silk scarves from Dharma Trading that an acquaintance dyed for us (we had six primary and secondary colors and a pastel rainbow). Since then, I've ordered from this company: http://www.atoygarden.com for gifts for others and found they had good quality at a very competitive price. (I've found the major brand of play silks "Sarah's Silks" to be a lighter silk and more prone to wear and tear.)

Something inexpensive that my kids liked was a squishy vinyl page book from Sassy that had clear vinyl pockets where you could put in photos of the child, family, pets, etc., or even magazine cutouts. A toddler photo album, if you will. The five year old just dragged it out today and wants to put new pictures in.

Erica in OR

Last year we got our youngest (8 months old at the time) one of these monogrammed duffel bags from Lands End. It is very well made and roomy, and I foresee him getting years of use out of it. We use it to pack his stuff whenever we go on trips. A few years ago we bought bags from Lillian Vernon for our older two kids for half that price. They are cheaply made and the strap has already broken off my son's bag. So now I'm thinking about purchasing the Lands End bags for them as well. We take about 3 trips out of state (Michigan and Mississippi) each year to visit family, so I love each kid having their own bag.

• 4 weeks later...