Menu

Thinking of going to nursing school...

I'll be 38 in January, so I am a little apprehensive about starting a career in nursing in my 40s. We are just struggling so much financially that I have to do something! I know I could get financial aid and go to the local community college where they have a two year RN nursing program. Or I even thought about going for ultrasound tech, which is a two year program (they actually both take around 3 years though I think, but I am not sure).

I am just nervous because I feel like it would be difficult to go to college and start a career in middle age. ;) Has anyone here done this? If so, what has your experience been? Any advice?

Also, my kids are 18, 15, and 13. My oldest are almost totally independent with their school work, but my youngest has severe dyslexia and needs a lot of help.

I'm all :bigear:

Go for it! Nursing is a great field to be in now as the baby boomers age. I don't think you will have any trouble finding a job at 40. At 60 perhaps, but 40 no. Ultrasounds would be fun too, at least when you got to look at babies, not so much when you found a tumor, but at least you would help them get a diagnosis.

Nursing is a great career. You can work practically any hours/schedule. The pay is pretty good, and it's very rewarding. It will be hard to do hsing. Nursing school is considered quite tough. You have to pass everything at a certain percentage or you're out of the program. Be prepared to spend a fair amount of time studying. It is well worth it though. I just went back into nursing after an 8 year hiatus. I had no trouble finding a job. I'm 40 yo. Good Luck!

BTW, some nursing schools are quite difficult to get into and have long waiting lists. You might want to check into that when making your decision. Also, look into the #of jobs out there for ultrasound tech. I know a girl who just graduated w/ a respiratory tech degree and hasn't found a job yet.

Edited by farmgirlinwv

I went to college for nursing when I was 32 (I'm 38 now). I was juggling homeschooling then and had my last two kiddos in the nursing program, so it can definitely be done!

I say go for it. Nursing is a great profession. The flexibility alone awesome. Anything can be done if you put your mind to it! I chose a program that was mostly evenings and weekends, so it didn't interfere THAT much with homeschooling. It was a real challenge, but it can be done.

Good luck!!!

Lisa

I am just nervous because I feel like it would be difficult to go to college and start a career in middle age. Has anyone here done this? If so, what has your experience been? Any advice?

I am there, doing that.

I'm 43. I will be 45 - 46 before I finish my Masters and *then* I'll have 3000 hours of work before I can drop the "I" for intern after my inititials (Licenced Professional Counselor and Licenced Marriage and Family Therapist).

I finally realized that I could not keep working for minimum wage. In spite of 2 under graduate degrees, my having been out of the traditional job market for 15 years made entering at a decent level difficult. I didn't want to return to an administrative position anyway. I was waiting for the "right time" but for many reasons, there will never be a right time.

I was worried about being age-conspicuous but, fortunately, my program is designed for working persons and most students are 25+. Many are older than I am.

Being in a class setting (one I don't *create* ;)) has been a terrific experience.

It's been an adjustment for my family, but there have also been some positives. Studying along with them has benefits. Due to the school I attend, I can take one of the kids with me each time. They work in the library while I am in class. This gives each kid some "alone with mom time" to and from school.

I am very pleased I've made this decision. And, frankly? I think some professions - mine and possibly yours are suited to having a professional with some wisdom and maturity.

Thanks again for all the replies! Very helpful stuff. ;) A question I have is if there is such a shortage of nurses, like I have read, then why is it so hard to get into a program? Is the problem not enough professors and such to teach it, or is it something else? What about taking it online...there are a lot of colleges offering it online, and then you take your clinicals and things at your local hospital. Would you have a better chance getting into a program that way, or would it not make any difference?

See if you can tolerate all that entails. I 've seen more than 1 new graduate nurse spend 2 or more years in school, graduate, and get a job, only to find out in the first weeks and months that they hated it. Most have quit the profession entirely, others found office jobs and the like instead. If you decide to be a nurse, the money is usually good but the schedule can be very difficult. As the newest hire, you have least seniority. That usually means you work the shifts and days no one else wants. You often have to work the major holidays. Some places mandate employees so be prepared to have to stay a few extra hours or even another whole shift. The work is physically and mentally demanding. Years ago, when I was a teenage nurse aide I thought being a registered nurse would be easy; it's not. Often, you don't have enough nurse aides (and often, not even 1) so you are doing all that sort of work as well as the assessments, dressing changes, passing meds, charting, and calling the doctors too. It is not unusual for me to be at work for anywhere from 30-90 minutes past the end of my shift and to work 8 hours or more without a break.

Is the problem not enough professors and such to teach it

Yes. I read an article within the last year about the shortage of nurses who can teach since you need advanced degrees. Those same degrees can be used to make very good money being a higher level supervisor, a consultant, a upper level hospital or healthcare professional, etc.

I am considering this. I am already a certified care giver, but am now considering the training to become a CNA or RNA. As a nursing assistant, I can administer drugs, and other tasks that I am not allowed to do as a caregiver, and make several dollars more an hour. I am 44, both my kids in an online high school, my Man travels for his work, and right now, I am piecing together full time work by having several part time jobs. So I feel it is a bit crazy time to make this choice, but...... seems like it would be worth it. THis is one of the things I will be mulling over and researching while I have my working vacation in AL later this month.

I have a BSN, but haven't worked in years. I just want to say that when I was in nursing school, the older students scared the pants off the traditional students. They had so much life experience which helped them to assimilate all of the information that we were learning. Many of us who were in nursing school right out of high school were clueless. The older students were so much more skilled in the clinical setting because many of them had been a) mothers b) patients and c) care-givers for parents. All of these life experiences helped the older students in both the classroom and in the clinical setting.

Blessings,

Leanna

A friend of mine who is 43 will be starting a 12 month LVN program soon with the idea of a RN bridge program later. She's hoping that as a LVN, her employer will help pay the tuition later for her RN degree. She's married with a 8 year daughter in public school. From our conversations, I know she's concerned about the workload but she's committed to her goals. It helps that her husband is supportive.

Ann

In regard to the difficulty of getting into nursing program

There are not enough instructors/professors

A certified nurse educator(masters) just do not get the pay other master level nursing jobs

A nurse practitioner (masters) or a nurse anthesist can make 100,000 or more

A nurse educator about 35,000 to 55,000 depending on state

This is the same problem I believe in the PS school system. There are very gifted science and math professionals that would love to teach but need to live off more that 35,000 a year (which is what a PS teacher makes in my state)

Again, great information...thank you all! I have contacted my community college and they are going to send me more info. I went online and they had video of different students, many of whom were in their 50s doing nursing. So, I feel much better about it. Plus, I can definitely see how having the life experience would be helpful. I am going to take a visit in the next few weeks and see the school first hand. I really think I am going to do this. :001_smile:

I just hope I can get the financial aid...I should be able to get loads since my husband's business is barely staying a float. We are struggling a ton. I am getting ready to apply for medicaid for the kids. We also have our house for sale, so we can downsize. Selling it is another story since no one is buying. Well, we are definitely living in interesting times. We didn't know how good we had it just a few years ago. The times, they are a changin...:tongue_smilie: