Menu

What is your favorite toddler story/picture book?

I want to buy hardbound picture books for nieces and nephews this Christmas. I am thinking that to save postage, I may order them and have them sent directly...

These relatives are mostly 2-3 yr. olds. I was thinking Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom.

Any other ideas?

Anything by Virginia Lee Burton. There's a great collection out there called "Mike Mulligan and More: Four Classic Stories by Virginia Lee Burton."

Also:

The Empty Pot by Demi

Stone Soup

Flat Stanley (the picture book version)

The Velveteen Rabbit

Other authors to consider:

Charlotte Zolotow

Ruth Krauss

Judith Viorst

All great children's picture book authors.

For Board Book I agree with Sandra Boynton, DS enjoys the stories and they are easy to read and remember.

For Picture Books DS really like Click Clack Moo, Cow's That Type by Doreen Cronin, He also likes all three Llama Llama books, All Afloat on Noah's Boat, and Where the Wild Things Are. He is also big on Shel Silversteen and Where The Sidewalk Ends at the moment for his bedtime story.

For board books I really like the Olivia ones by Ian Falconer. I also love the books Babies and Animal Babies by Gyo Fujikawa. His illustrations are beautiful.

There is also an edition of A Child's Garden of Verse that is illustrated by Fujikawa.

My toddlers enjoy anything by Mo Willems (most especially his Pigeon books) and the Llama, Llama books (the author's name escapes me).