Menu

Any link between flat feet and poor handwriting?

I googled this (briefly) but wanted to ask the Hive. :D Dh brought this up last night.

Our eldest, B, has atrocious handwriting, even after several years of using HWOT. I just started SmithHand with him, but he's extremely resistant to the instruction (and claims that he doesn't care about neatness) so we'll see how that goes... :glare: He also has flat feet.

Last night, dh was updating his duty log (it's his week to be "on duty" at his command) which is done in standard military block writing (all caps.) He turned back several pages and showed me a page that was not written in the neat all-caps writing that is on every other page of the log (no matter who was on duty.) It was legible, but messy compared to the rest of the book. He said, "this guy had flat feet, too." So now we're wondering if there's any kind of connection between the two, or is it just coincidence?

Only if their writing with their toes! :D

Sorry, it's been a LOOONG day here, and that is the first Flip answer that popped into my head. :D

On the other hand, I'll have to check to see if dd's fleet are flat. Her handwriting is so bad that even SHE can't read it. (She is only 8, but still....)

Considering that there are different types of problems that cause flat feet, I wouldn't be surprised by getting many varied answers.

While I have not seen any data to support it, I can understand where a link may come in....but it is purely hypothetical. Deformities in the tendons, ligaments and bones (fused where they shouldn't be) can all cause flat feet in humans. So, I can see where if a person was born with a foot deformity, that maybe they were born with a hand deformity also? A stretch true, but not fathomable. If the hand deformity wasn't great, but just a minor one, maybe it is enough that it is only apparent in certain motor function grasps or motions, like writing.

Interesting...I will ask my dd2's OT next week and see if she knows of any correlation.

Thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like probable coincidence. :)

I have not had B evaluated by an OT, although I'd like to. Last well-child check-up, dh mentioned the flat feet issue to the Doctor. The Dr. just said we might want to get him some inserts for his shoes (from the drug store.) We were disappointed that the Dr. didn't look at B more closely, as the flat feet thing seems to be related to other "issues". For example, he's slightly double-jointed, has an awkward gait, and is incapable of certain body movements/exercises that most people can do. (Examples: "plank" position, and what dh calls "building a house", and is very similar to the "downward dog" position of yoga. If you try to lower his heels to the floor, he just falls over.) Unfortunately, dh didn't get to discuss much of this with the Dr., as Dr. was fairly dismissive and didn't seem to listen well at all. There is another male Dr. at the clinic (B does not want to see a female), who I need to switch B to...maybe he'll actually give us a referral. :tongue_smilie:

What's wrong with having flat feet? My 4 year old is flat footed but dh can't articulate why it's a problem, he just said it shouldn't be that way. Our chiro doesn't seem to think it's anything but the comment about having OP's child evaluated by an OT makes me concerned.

Her handwriting is atrocious too but she's only 4. ;)

What's wrong with having flat feet? My 4 year old is flat footed but dh can't articulate why it's a problem, he just said it shouldn't be that way. Our chiro doesn't seem to think it's anything but the comment about having OP's child evaluated by an OT makes me concerned.

Her handwriting is atrocious too but she's only 4. ;)

Depending on how severe the problem is, it can result in knee and hip issues in the future. It can also create a lot of pain for some people.

Dd2 is getting custom orthotics for pronation and flat feet. She will sit on the floor and rub her feet. She is in great pain at times. There are times that when she goes to stand up that she curls up her toes, rolls her feet outward and walks on the outside of her foot. She whimpers with each step. It seems like cramping in her feet. :( Her physician saw her a year ago for the problem, and dismissed her issues saying that it was 'normal for little kids to have flat feet' (the pain wasn't as apparent then). I insisted on a podiatrist appointment and he immediately diagnosed her with a moderate/severe diagnosis. We waited until now to get the orthotics because we knew she wouldn't wear the shoes all day when she was under 2yo. She is a nudist at heart :D

If you think there is an issue, I would have her seen by a podiatrist who treats children. If I wouldn't have known about her issues, I would have dismissed the pain as something else and never made the connection.

The OT helps us keep her feet flexible and building the muscles in her feet in a constructive way.

My kids have flat feet and very neat handwriting. Hubby has flat feet and decent handwriting. I have fallen arches and fairly neat handwriting (or used to - college note-taking ruined my handwriting.) I can do lovely calligraphy. The flat feet theory is a load of hooey. I've known plenty of people with beautiful arches and crappy handwriting.

Pronation and flat feet are two separate issues. One can be flat footed without pronation issues. One can have an arch, but pronate rather severely. Pronation can cause issues - I have it and so do 2 of my kids and it does cause knee and hip issues. Dh is flat footed, but does not pronate (his ankle bones line up properly with his flat foot)

Depending on how severe the problem is, it can result in knee and hip issues in the future. It can also create a lot of pain for some people.

This is how we figured out the ds has flat feet. He said the pain was excruciating, extending from his ankle to his knee, knee to hip. And his hip "pops" frequently and it hurts.

Dr said to use arch supports before spending the $ on special shoes, and I must say, ds is quite happy with the results. He said he noticed a difference almost immediately.

I wasn't aware that flat feet was a deformity. I was always taught that it was a variation of normal. Some ethnic groups are more likely to have flat feet than others. It doesn't make them deformed.

Ooooh, sorry. I didn't mean it to offend. There are different types of flat foot, some may be treated as more of an inconvenience but others are more severe.

DD2 has a congenital defect. The tendon (or ligament-I don't remember which) is not attached to the correct place on the bone in her foot. The causes the foot arch to fall, because the tendon is not attached correctly to pull it up.

She also has pronation where her feet roll to the inside.

Dd2 is getting custom orthotics for pronation and flat feet. She will sit on the floor and rub her feet. She is in great pain at times. There are times that when she goes to stand up that she curls up her toes, rolls her feet outward and walks on the outside of her foot. She whimpers with each step. It seems like cramping in her feet. :( Her physician saw her a year ago for the problem, and dismissed her issues saying that it was 'normal for little kids to have flat feet' (the pain wasn't as apparent then). I insisted on a podiatrist appointment and he immediately diagnosed her with a moderate/severe diagnosis. We waited until now to get the orthotics because we knew she wouldn't wear the shoes all day when she was under 2yo. She is a nudist at heart :D

If you think there is an issue, I would have her seen by a podiatrist who treats children. If I wouldn't have known about her issues, I would have dismissed the pain as something else and never made the connection.

The OT helps us keep her feet flexible and building the muscles in her feet in a constructive way.

Thank you for this explanation! I'm sorry your dd was in so much pain. Will therapy and orthotics completely fix the problem?

Pronation and flat feet are two separate issues. One can be flat footed without pronation issues. One can have an arch, but pronate rather severely. Pronation can cause issues - I have it and so do 2 of my kids and it does cause knee and hip issues. Dh is flat footed, but does not pronate (his ankle bones line up properly with his flat foot)

Thank you for this distinction. So in your opinion, a person with flat feet, but who's ankle bones line up properly, does not have an issue needing to be addressed?