Menu

Anyone NOT own even ONE credit card?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a Costco AMEX card (great for gas) and several credit cards with rewards - all with automatic payment from our checking account. Dh does not want debit cards - guess he's afraid of the easy access to our checking account. He prefers the fraud protection, credit history, and rewards associated with credit cards. We haven't paid a cent in interest and have gotten back a lot in rewards. We also do charitable contributions (tithing), pay school fees, etc with cc.

DH and I feel the same way about debit cards. We too earn oodles in rewards, but don't pay a cent in interest. ;)

Hmm, we just rented a car on our checkcard Visa last year. I wonder if it's particular rental company policy, maybe. I think they put a hold on $500 or so; maybe that's the difference.

I have also rented a car with a debit card. But this was out of state, and they would not let us.

Just curious to see if one can live in this world without one. We have one and we have decided to close it out on Monday. We do have a debit card however but that will be all. Any opinions? Is this not a smart move or does it really matter?

That's us, has been for years. I hate, hate credit. Going with out one makes you live within your means. The only real problem is in the case of emergency. If you have a good amount in savings and can live on a budget then you should be fine.

That's us, has been for years. I hate, hate credit. Going with out one makes you live within your means. The only real problem is in the case of emergency. If you have a good amount in savings and can live on a budget then you should be fine.

That works as long as you can access your savings when you have that emergency.

This was a very interesting thread to read, even if it's an old thread. :)

I use credit cards and my DH tends to use the debit card instead. However, all of our purchases go into YNAB within the week, so we are keeping track of EVERYTHING. Since we've been married, the only time we've had interest accrue on a card was after expensive car repairs in a slim month. We also take advantage of no-interest deals on store cards when making large purchases.

A Visa checkcard/debit card has all the purchase-protections and is treated as a normal visa for rentals, travel, etc.

I have NEVER had a problem with disputing a purchase when I've used my Visa checkcard. It's treated just like a traditional credit card purchase.

Of course, you have to make sure you're using the Visa feature, not the debit feature.

:iagree:

We use our credit card for everything and just pay it off at the end of each month. We treat it like we're using our bank card.

A couple big, big, BIG reasons we use credit card rather than debit cards:

1. We have a upromise credit card and have amassed thousands of dollars towards the kids college account.

2. Credit cards are WAY more secure than debit cards. We've had our credit cards compromised THREE times in the past year (my guess is online use and the fact that it's much easier these days to be frauded). Not all debit cards are protected the same way credit cards are in these cases, AND if someone did get your debit card information, they could empty your account VERY quickly, and all of a sudden your account could be empty right when you have checks coming due, etc. I'm not willing to take the risk.