Menu

Who loves going to used curriculum sales?

I like to look for math manipulatives (I've picked up some great deals on those at used curric. sales) and I like to look for teachers manuals for math programs we aren't using (LOL) and then just books.....I don't really go with a plan of what I want, which probably isn't the best idea but it's always fun!

I loved used bookstores, curriculum sales, thrift stores, consignment shops, etc---it's all about the thrill of the hunt to find a treasure!

Initially, I went just looking for anything that caught my eye, but over the last couple years I have gotten more specific. Now I research and decide on the curricula in advance that I want to use, so I go knowing pretty much what I am hoping to find, but keeping an eye open for a treasure or two. They can also be a good source for inexpensive pleasure reading books for my daughter.

I can't wait for our area's used book sale. Last year I took our whole family for the first time (it's much more streamlined when I go alone, but they were dying to come, including dh) and had a ball -- spent way too much money and carried home bags and boxes of stuff. My ds is already talking about the sale and it's two months away! :001_rolleyes:

I usually find some really good deals and save a lot on our curriculum needs.

I can buy at item a year or two ahead of time, at about 1/2 the usual cost, and then decide if I am going to use it or not. If I decide not to use it...I can resell online for the same price.

I also like that I can see the condition first. I've been burned by Ebay so I only buy used when I can see it now.

I also love finding bargains for my friends. I call them often from the used sales, asking what they need and looking for them. Several friends don't get out much so they enjoy the vicarious shopping all-the-while reaping the benefits!

I love the used curriculum sales at homeschool conventions.

I usually end up walking away with loads of really good curriculum for under $10.

Some of the stuff i pick up is old, from way back in the early '90's or '80's but it's stuff you can't find any more...and I think that's a good thing since much of the older curriculum (for example, Abeka) are good grabs.

What do you look for when you do go to these?

Things that I cannot buy at Rainbow Resource (Rod and Staff) and books that are not discounted at retailers (which this year includes Fallacy Detective, Genevieve Foster biographies, etc)

In fact... I not only go to them... but for the last 3 years (this is year 3) I took over the one here in our county.... I organize and advertise the sale and friends and family help with set up and take down.... My family looks forward to it every year.... they have already asked when it is...

Its a community event for homeschoolers and we have people from many surrounding county’s who attend. I love it and enjoy it... its almost ministry for me... I try to have as many resources (free) from the community, plus co-op information or classes folks offer....

Its a lot of fun to see and great people too... sometimes its the only time I see them... sad but true... we all get busy I guess... *Ü*

I can buy at item a year or two ahead of time, at about 1/2 the usual cost, and then decide if I am going to use it or not. If I decide not to use it...I can resell online for the same price.

I also love finding bargains for my friends. I call them often from the used sales, asking what they need and looking for them. Several friends don't get out much so they enjoy the vicarious shopping all-the-while reaping the benefits!

:iagree:

i too like the benefit of a free hands-on look. And shopping for friends is more fun than shopping for me! Finding Apologia texts for 50 cents and KONOS volumes for $10 is a steal --i buy them even if i don't know anyone who needs one at the time and give them as presents :D

i do a LOT of browsing catalogs so i have a pretty good list in my mind of what most homeschoolers want or need.

I am a curriculum junky. I love book sales and curriculum sales. My husband needs to add another room in the house for all my books and school things. I do usually end up using everything I buy though at least for one of my 3 kids.

I love them.

They give me a chance to look at curriculum up close without having bought it or paying lots of money to go to convention.

I shop with a list though and try not to buy off it although there is always that great game, book, puzzle, set of cards, poster, or whatever that we just have to have.

I also love the free table--there can be some nice surprises there. Last year I got three old outdated BJU upper level science texts for my older dd to look at and play with. She loves science texts.:)

Mainly I look for great curr. that I have heard about, but I have not been willing to shell out the money for it new. Now that we are on to high school work I order most everything new from Rainbow Resources, then once a year I sell a lot of things on ebay at one time. I have just about finished get this years auctions ready and I will have around 500 autions. I offer free shipping if the bidder wins 9 or more auctions. I really went through our shelves hard this year and decided to sell many old favorites I was just keep for sentimental value. We read a lot ( hence the reason for my name) and even I was amazed a how much I have to sell. I would prefer to sell it at a local sale but we just don't have any.