Menu

Did You ever change your readaloud....

I have if there was something objectionable in the content. This has happened twice I think in many, many years where I've just closed the book and said "We're not reading this anymore." But if my child was enjoying it, and I didn't have issues with the content, I would persevere. Just out of curiosity, what book is it and why don't you like it?

Yes. I've dumped books I didn't like and some the kids didn't like. :) I see no reason to waste time on Stuff we don't like. :)

(ETA - and this may cause an uproar - LOL - but we dumped Peter Pan and Mary Poppins. We all disliked them. I won't even start Alice in Wonderland - I hate it. :) Isn't is great to be a homeschooler and have choice!!)

its Dealing with Dragons. ITs not that dd doesnt Get it, shes just wondering. she still ask questions, but isnt doing the usually excitedness.

Dealing with Dragons is listed as Young Adult level on Amazon. I would definitely move on to something else.

thanks. do you think No Flying in the House will be better?

That one (according to Amazon) is for ages 9-12. The cover looks like it will be a bit more accessible, but I honestly think you would do better with some of the more traditional first chapter books for little kids (Winnie the Pooh, My Father's Dragon, and so forth). It's a hard age because their lack of life experience combined with their lack of experience with chapter books makes finding something that resonates with them more difficult than it will be later on.

I just called it quits yesterday! I'm 3/4 through Huck Finn and just can't stand reading it aloud anymore. My boys are young but they understood what I was reading. I would ask content questions and they got it. My little one adored the story. I couldn't handle reading it anymore. I've read the book before and loved it. I just think I got tired of the hard to read aloud accents and phonetically spelled words. So, I pulled the plug.

We reading the very light, very easy, The BFG by Roald Dahl. I'm much happier.

I almost poked my eyes out reading Mr Popper's Penguins. I hate that book with a pasiion I didn't know I had for children's books. My kids *loved it*, love love loved it. So I read it. When my youngest asked me to read it to her, I said 'That's one you'll need to read on your own". The other kids couldn't read yet, and it was on all the classic book lists. To this day, I get a mild throbbing in my head when I think about it.

The one series I refused to read to anyone, ever, after one chapter is The Magic Treehouse. OMgosh plase-don't -make -me on those. Can't stand them, although Mr Popper's Penguins is the worst yet.

I recently switched a read aloud. I picked one that was too above their level and they had difficulty following it. I knew after the first chapter though and switched to Little House in the Big Woods. Instant difference. Instead of being fidgitty they calmed down and paid attention.

I almost poked my eyes out reading Mr Popper's Penguins. I hate that book with a pasiion I didn't know I had for children's books. My kids *loved it*, love love loved it. So I read it. When my youngest asked me to read it to her, I said 'That's one you'll need to read on your own". The other kids couldn't read yet, and it was on all the classic book lists. To this day, I get a mild throbbing in my head when I think about it.

The one series I refused to read to anyone, ever, after one chapter is The Magic Treehouse. OMgosh plase-don't -make -me on those. Can't stand them, although Mr Popper's Penguins is the worst yet.

Oh no! Don't tell me that about Mr Popper's Penguins. We're finishing a boxcar children tonight and MPP is next on the stack. I hope I don't hate it.

Edited by aggieamy

I recently switched a read aloud. I picked one that was too above their level and they had difficulty following it. I knew after the first chapter though and switched to Little House in the Big Woods. Instant difference. Instead of being fidgitty they calmed down and paid attention.

Oh no! Don't tell me that about Mr Popper's Penguins. We're finishing a boxcar children tonight and MPP is next on the stack. I hope I don't hate it.

Don't mind me, I didn't enjoy The Wonderful Flight to Mushroom Planet, either, and that's another gah-gah rah-rah classic.

One of my fav books of all time is Little House in the Big Woods. I could read that again and again, but none of my 4 kids cared for it much. They let me read it, but none of them were "Wow, what a great book!". Wah.

Edited by LibraryLover

Once in a great while a readaloud does not work out. It often comes down to it being a lousy adaptation so I try to just find another one. A couple of weeks ago we read a version of King Arthur and the Night's of the Round Table that wasn't good. It was confusing. So I tried another version and we loved it. In fact we were in tears by the end we were so into it.

Which version did you enjoy?

I find Kipling's Just So Stories awful to read aloud. Can't wait for it to be over. Are the Jungle Books like this? Ds likes it, so I want to finish it (already! :glare:). Ds doesn't seem to understand a lot of the British idioms in it, and I'm explaining things all the time to him. He gets the general gist but has a hard time narrating if it's not straightforward.

We've dropped three read alouds that I can recall. A couple of years ago, we dropped Wheel on the School. It was okay, but we life got busy, and we just never got it back out. We stopped reading Amazons and Swallows, too. So much sailing terminology that we had *no idea* what was going on! And, just a couple weeks ago we stopped reading Wind in the Willows. Very slow going....

We listened to Mr. Popper's Penguins on audio book and enjoyed it. Some books just seem to move better with someone else reading them! :001_smile: