Menu

Emergency Ectopic Surgery -What is this like? Family member -emgcy.

I had it done lapriscopically, a conservative surgery in which they were able to preserve the fallopian tube.

Without knowing if her tube has already ruptured, interal bleeding, etc, I can't really tell you what recovery might be like, or how risky it is. Mine was caught solely on a fluke. I was told I'd had a miscarriage, and went to the ER a week later when the bleeding was off and on, thinking I needed a D&C. I was told I hadn't miscarried, cervix was closed, everything was OK, but they did a ultrasound for peace of mind...and thats when the pregnancy was discovered to be ectopic. Most are found after rupture.

For me, the emotional recovery was far longer than the physical.

I had this about 11 years ago. . . . . .

It was not a walk in the park, but it could have been much worse. The dr. was able to save both my fallopial tubes. It was a laporoscopic (sp?) surgery, and the recovery was really not too bad. I went on to have 3 healthy babies afterwards ;)

The hardest part for me was the emotional part. I had to come to terms with the fact that I had been pg (I didn't know), and that I had a loss. My dr. reminded me to give myself permission to grieve - that was helpful.

:grouphug: to your family member. Praying everything will turn out ok.

My surgery was a laparotomy, which is similar to a c-section except that it doesn't go through the uterus. By the time I made it to the OR, I had hemorrhaged 2/3 of my blood. Recovery was hard physically and emotionally, but I am very thankful to be alive.

:grouphug: to you and your sister. I pray the surgery goes well.

recovery like for this procedure?

What procedure is it and what is her status?

Hard to say without knowing

How dangerous?

Most of the danger aside from the procedure (which I don't know which one she is having) is not being in the hospital yet. So she is in the right place if she is in the hospital being monitored.

:grouphug:

:seeya:

I had my emergency laparotomy in January. There was about a liter of blood in my abdomen. They were able to leave my other tube alone.

Surgery went well. Recovery was very difficult for me, and I really could have used much more help with the house and kids (hint, hint). I didn't react well to the anesthesia and morphine, so I was in the hospital for nearly a week. I should have been released within 2 days. I didn't feel 100% for 3-4 weeks.

For the record, I'm one of the people who enjoys childbirth, so I consider myself to have a high pain tolerance. This hurt!

Had one about 8 years ago.

I lost a lot of blood but not enough for a transfusion (right on the cusp). It takes a long time for the body to regenerate the blood and this was probably the biggest physical challenge. I was so, so tired and became fatigued very easily, like walking up a few stairs carrying a little one for example. This lasted about a month. So, as others said, it depends on where she was in the pregnancy when they caught it and how much blood she lost.

And to mimic a few others, it is hard to lose a baby. So hard.

I hope all has gone well for her.

Emerald

Mine was not laparoscopic, so my recovery was 4 - 6 weeks. I also lost a lot of blood from internal bleeding, but my Dr. saved my ovary, which had burst from the ectopic pregnancy. Emergency surgery is never pleasant, but doctors are able to do a lot. I was in a lot of pain for the first couple weeks, in the hospital for several days. I went on to have three healthy babies, with no problems from the previous ectopic surgery.

Like some of the others said, the hardest part was dealing with the loss of my baby. I was 7 or 8 weeks along, and had known for most that time that I was pregnant, so that was very difficult. The physical pain was easier to handle than the emotional loss.

I suspect she will need your support, and possibly need some help around the house so she can rest and recover.

I am sorry for her loss.

I had emergency surgery for this done 4 years ago (this week, actually). By the time it was discovered I was bleeding into my abdomen, but hadn't ruptured. The doctor said by the next morning I would have been dead. They saved my tube.

Emotionally was definitely the hardest - we believe that life starts at the moment of conception and a (stupid) U/S Tech showed me the baby's heartbeat when it was discovered and gave me a spiel that "The chance of a m/c is so low after seeing a hb. They just have to move the baby to the right spot and you'll be OK!" Also, people had a tendency to tell me I had no right to grieve b/c it was "just a m/c." I felt like *I* had failed the baby and signing the paper agreeing to terminate my child's life to save mine (even though I know logically I didn't really have any other option) was the. hardest. thing. I've. ever. done. I ended up getting a tattoo in memory of our baby. I was vehemently opposed to tattoos before, but I wanted something that the doctors couldn't take away to remind me of our baby.

Physically, my was done laparoscopically so the recover wasn't nearly as hard as it could have been. Things I wish I'd known -

* Expect significant pain in the shoulder blade area. They pump you full of gas and it causes referred pain to your shoulder blade area. Honestly, it hurt more than the incisions. And it took DAYS to fully go away.

* That my throat would be sore for days from being intubated.

* Take the pain meds! BEFORE you start to hurt!!

* Bleeding (like a period) is normal. So are small clots.

* That it wouldn't be over with the surgery (if they save the tube). You have to go for weekly blood draws to make sure your HCG is going down. And that's hard b/c the lab techs always want to chat with you "Did you just find out you're pg? Congrats!" Then mine stopped going down and started rising again so I ended up with methotrexate to "finish things off." For me, it took 6+ weeks from discovery until I could finally close the physical part of this experience.

* Many, many, many people go on to have successful pregnancies. I did, although the doctors told me I'd never have another child (my ectopic was between DD and DS). It's easy to get caught up in the statistics of 1 ectopic = no more kids. I did.

Most of all give her an ear. Let her talk when she needs to. And help out as much as you can...

Like some of the others said, the hardest part was dealing with the loss of my baby. I was 7 or 8 weeks along, and had known for most that time that I was pregnant, so that was very difficult. The physical pain was easier to handle than the emotional loss.

:iagree: If she loses the tube it may be even harder for her because she will have lost part of her reproductive system. That part was so, so hard for me and honestly even almost 8 years later I still struggle with anger and sadness.

I had emergency surgery in the middle of the night for an ectopic about ten years ago. It was laparoscopically, a liter of blood in my abdomen, but my tube was spared. The first two days were the worst as far as pain. I was in the hospital for less than a full 24 hrs. My FIL came to stay with me a couple of days when my dh went back to work because I had a one year old to care for at the time. After two weeks, I felt pretty normal. Two children since, praise God!

* Many, many, many people go on to have successful pregnancies. I did, although the doctors told me I'd never have another child (my ectopic was between DD and DS). It's easy to get caught up in the statistics of 1 ectopic = no more kids. I did.

I wonder why on earth they said that!!! Many people with one gonad and one tube reproduce!

The OB saved the tube, but said there was damage to the point she thought I'd never get pg on that side again. And my OB believed that my other side wasn't really functional to begin with (why/how I'm not sure). But with my DS I ovulated on my ectopic side and he made it just fine. I switched OBs between DD and DS because, among other things, my OB told me I had no right to be upset about the surgery "because it's just a cluseter of cells." :O

The OB I have now and who delivered DS doesn't think me having more kids should be a problem, but thinks that we need to be on guard if/when I do get pg again and monitor early (which I'm OK with). But apparently from talking with others IRL, there seems to be a belief among some OBs that one ectopic dooms you and you should stop having kids at all afterward. @@

My sister is doing well. Her friend can take the credit for making her go to the ER. The doc had told her she could wait until Monday. The surgeon said that she was lucky...

Thanks - I will pass on the tips, advice and good wishes.

Alexandra

Glad to hear it went well!

Ectopics can be tricky things. I dealt with several doctors and two different hospitals before winding up with emergency surgery. It was a month long ordeal.

Sending healing thoughts!

My sister is doing well. Her friend can take the credit for making her go to the ER. The doc had told her she could wait until Monday. The surgeon said that she was lucky...

Thanks - I will pass on the tips, advice and good wishes.

Alexandra

I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went well.

My recovery was o.k. as far as pain afterwards. Physically, mine was a quick recovery. Emotionally, I was a wreck for months. I had very much wanted the pregnancy and the baby to be healthy. I only had one tube at the time and the dr. was able to preserve it, however the resulting damage to it and the scar tissue that developed (and continued to come back) has greatly impacted my fertility. I went on to conceive through IVF several years afterwards and then, several years after that, conceived "on my own". After the ectopic, I experienced a miscarriage and two molar pregnancies before having the two children that I went on to have.

I very much want to have another child. In fact, I am currently having pregnancy symptoms and have been for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I just had a little spotting on yesterday, so I don't know what's going on!! We are praying we are preg. but I know the chances are very slim. So far, this is looking and feeling alot like my ectopic preg.

So, if you are a prayer, send a few up for us!! We should know something for sure soon.

I'm glad your sister got to the ER quickly. I'll be praying for her. She'll need alot of love and support.