Menu

Help! Where do I find size 2 suit for teen dd for debate?

I have a 5'4 1/2 dd who only weighs 102. She wears size 2 and she needs suits for debate team. SHe keeps going to a large Salvation Army thrift store which has tons of suits but none in size 2. Size 4 she swims in. Can you alter jackets at the shoulder?

ARe there stores or websites that sell business attire for such tiny people? If she was taller, she would look like a model but she is average height and even if she did look like a model, I don't know where they get their clothes. I can find ssmall size pants and jeans but she needs attire as an attorney would wear. She found a suit online for 299 and she doesn't even like it and that is beyond my budget. ANy ideas?

Ann Taylor Loft sells suits at a fairly reasonable price (for a suit) and they carry the smaller sizes AND petites. I've always bought my suits there.

Not Ann Taylor, just because it's pretty pricey, but Ann Taylor Loft.

I'm about 1/2 inch shorter than your daughter and usually go up one size at Ann Taylor Loft and buy a petite. When I do, I don't even have to alter it.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to hem the pants if she gets a suit with pants. If she goes with a skirt, she should be fine in her normal size.

I had the same trouble with my dd--- but she shows dogs, so needed suits for dog showing. Aside from fitting properly, she had to be able to RUN it it (we have BIIIG dogs!) and it had to be comfortable. Now she fits in a size 4, and we have good luck at the thrift stores, but when she was younger I finally gave up and had my mom sew one for her. I have NO idea what pattern she used.

I'd offer to send it to you for dd, except that the last time dd wore it, there was an unfortunate incident involving a big dog on a leash, a long-time doggie play pal friend spotted across the show site, and a bottle of red gatorade in dd's hand. It's now pale gray with a really big splashed stain of pink across the whole skirt and jacket sleeve. Despite my best efforts that stain never budged!

Good luck finding a suit--- I know how tough it is!

astrid

If you have any women's consignments stores in your area, you may start there. I have also seen buisness suits in teen consignment stores.

There are many of the larger stores in the mall that sell petites so you could go there and see what you can find. Check online for the stores in your area as they may have more sizes, and you can often take them in and have them altered at the store or return them if needed.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=367775&CategoryID=19258

Here is a $99 jacket at Macy's that you can pair with a pair of slacks. It was listed in the jackets/coat section.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I have a 5'4 1/2 dd who only weighs 102. She wears size 2 and she needs suits for debate team. SHe keeps going to a large Salvation Army thrift store which has tons of suits but none in size 2. Size 4 she swims in. Can you alter jackets at the shoulder?

ARe there stores or websites that sell business attire for such tiny people? If she was taller, she would look like a model but she is average height and even if she did look like a model, I don't know where they get their clothes. I can find ssmall size pants and jeans but she needs attire as an attorney would wear. She found a suit online for 299 and she doesn't even like it and that is beyond my budget. ANy ideas?

The best place I have found is Chadwicks:

http://www.chadwicks.com/

They do carry size 2 clothing and have petites. I find that the size 2 petites will fit me, but the arms and especially the legs tend to be a bit too short because I am not proportioned petite. Still, it is better than nothing. I sympathize. I am thinking that I will probably have to start having things altered because they really do not exist anymore. Ten or fifteen years ago you could find things, but not anymore. Fortunately my dd is just enough bigger than me that she can at least find clothing, but it is very hard to find things that are appropriate. Good luck!

There's a chain called Petite Sophisticate where we bought my niece a size 2 suit -- for debate, too! The store is in our local mall.

ETA: Just read the rest of the thread and I wanted to add that I've ordered blazers from Chadwick's for me -- definitely not petites, though -- and I've been pleased with the quality for the price.

Edited by lisasaysto